Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aussie Crawl
Aug 21, 2007
Contains Opinions Which May Offend

teekun posted:

Didn't they already kind of do that with the Governor? I doubt Kirkman would go down that route again, but I won't be surprised if they have ulterior motives for recruiting members than just building a safe productive community.

Just once i'd like to see a Zombie story throw a massive curl-ball and have a community establish itself for reasons of survival, community and mutual protection without some kind of horrible secret or hosed up perversion or quirk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'm calling it that the sort of guards/protection that the community has is kind of corrupt, or takes advantage of their position of power. They're not overtly evil, but the community lets them be assholes in the name of the greater good. Either that, or the community is good, but Carl shoots someone and him and Rick get kicked out. I don't know, maybe we should start a pool on this.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Aussie Crawl posted:

Just once i'd like to see a Zombie story throw a massive curl-ball and have a community establish itself for reasons of survival, community and mutual protection without some kind of horrible secret or hosed up perversion or quirk.

World War Z talks about re-establishing civilization. So does Shaun of the Dead, in its own way.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

I'm calling it that the sort of guards/protection that the community has is kind of corrupt, or takes advantage of their position of power. They're not overtly evil, but the community lets them be assholes in the name of the greater good. Either that, or the community is good, but Carl shoots someone and him and Rick get kicked out. I don't know, maybe we should start a pool on this.

My guess is that the community is wholly good. Maybe they'll be doing something suspicious at first, but it'll probably turn out to be an irrigation project or a giant memorial statue or something silly. Instead the community will just be overrun by a mass zombie migration and be forced to disband.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That would actually be a decent route. It would give Kirkman the possibility to fragment the group again (as they did with the Farm/RV/Prison) and shuffle people in or out.

Also, there's a payoff to the fear of huge zombie hordes that's been an undercurrent in the recent issues.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

FilthyImp posted:

That would actually be a decent route. It would give Kirkman the possibility to fragment the group again (as they did with the Farm/RV/Prison) and shuffle people in or out.

I always felt that the end of the prison arc was an easy way to remove some extra characters/situations that maybe weren't all that interesting to write for. The group is pretty bare bones right now though...

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I miss Axel terribly....

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Caufman posted:

I miss Axel terribly....

You follow me?

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Aussie Crawl posted:

I Am Legend kinda had that going on right at the end, but I guess you may not call those critters zombies.

A perfecly normal community sorta writes the charactes into a corner though, they can stay and nothing much happens, but it is too early to end the series; the community is hosed up, which is becoming a bit trite; zombies or another group overruns the place, which is just about as trite (and what is almost certain to happen); or they get kicked out because Rick and Co are way hosed up, which is probably bad for sales as readers shouldn't hate the protagonists.

I wouldn't mind Rick getting a bit more comeuppance though; answer for his crimes. Maybe that will be the big issue 75 thing. Or maybe he will just wear a helmet and call himself Dredd.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Caufman posted:

My guess is that the community is wholly good. Maybe they'll be doing something suspicious at first, but it'll probably turn out to be an irrigation project or a giant memorial statue or something silly. Instead the community will just be overrun by a mass zombie migration and be forced to disband.

The walls aren't actually that high, and if you throw a few million zombies at them they'll probably crumble. Having the entire village try to evacuate and stay ahead of the zombie hordes while moving towards another 'safe' haven might be a very interesting thread.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I like your guys' idea for the next arc that Rick and his people are so screwed up that they essentially become "the bad guys" aka the element or "type of people" that Rick didn't want brought to the prison during the governers arc.

As someone else said, it probably won't happen though, since it would mess with our ability to identify with the main characters.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
They're going to have to touch on that massive zombie rush/stampede again as that was more than likely not brought up simply to derail that Atlanta gun run. Perhaps a sort of storm of zombie hordes will run through the enclosed city?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Jack Skeleton posted:

They're going to have to touch on that massive zombie rush/stampede again as that was more than likely not brought up simply to derail that Atlanta gun run. Perhaps a sort of storm of zombie hordes will run through the enclosed city?

Speaking of Atlanta, I don't really get why Rick and his family went there. I know "go to a big city for the government to help you" thing was said but there are other cities closer than Atlanta to KY. Chicago comes to mind.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Drunkboxer posted:

Speaking of Atlanta, I don't really get why Rick and his family went there. I know "go to a big city for the government to help you" thing was said but there are other cities closer than Atlanta to KY. Chicago comes to mind.

Probably for this unless it's a different Atlanta then ignore this entirely.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Drunkboxer posted:

I think it depends on where you are in Kentucky, and I'm not sure if they ever said which city they lived in. But Rick does say that Lori's parents live in Atlanta, which is the reason he went looking for her there.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

I think it depends on where you are in Kentucky, and I'm not sure if they ever said which city they lived in. But Rick does say that Lori's parents live in Atlanta, which is the reason he went looking for her there.

Wikipedia says they're from Cynthia, which would make Chicago closer. I don't remember the parents thing, just the going to big cities thing. I'll take your word for it though.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Drunkboxer posted:

Wikipedia says they're from Cynthia, which would make Chicago closer. I don't remember the parents thing, just the going to big cities thing. I'll take your word for it though.

Yeah I just looked it up in #1. I should have realized they were from Cynthia, it says Cynthia Police Department when Rick goes to get supplies and he wakes up at the Harrison Memorial Hospital, which is in Cynthia. It must be the in-laws thing.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Antifreeze Head posted:

I Am Legend kinda had that going on right at the end, but I guess you may not call those critters zombies.

A perfecly normal community sorta writes the charactes into a corner though, they can stay and nothing much happens, but it is too early to end the series; the community is hosed up, which is becoming a bit trite; zombies or another group overruns the place, which is just about as trite (and what is almost certain to happen); or they get kicked out because Rick and Co are way hosed up, which is probably bad for sales as readers shouldn't hate the protagonists.

I wouldn't mind Rick getting a bit more comeuppance though; answer for his crimes. Maybe that will be the big issue 75 thing. Or maybe he will just wear a helmet and call himself Dredd.

I still need to catch up on this, but a nice turn would be for Rick to finally establish himself as an enemy to the normal world: the trauma has changed him so much that he cannot fit in with normal society anymore. So, he's a danger to himself and others and goes back on the run from the zombies and from normal society that seeks to kill him out of vengeance. It's not like there's an authority around to counter vengeance-fueled vendettas here.

Aussie Crawl
Aug 21, 2007
Contains Opinions Which May Offend
If the Walking Dead gets a 'good ending' as opposed to everybody dead, i'd love to see a World War Z style epilogue about the survivors of the group trying to fit back into a normal life after all they've been through.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Casting info for the series:

http://io9.com/5472160/dont-let-lee-adama-be-our-last-defense-against-zombies

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Boo. Jamie Bamber is much prettier than Rita's ex-husband from Dexter.

Tetris Crowley
Aug 17, 2007
who wants waffles!?

Drunkboxer posted:

Not to mention, it does NOT snow that much in GA. At most we get about 5 or 6 inches once every few years. And IF we get that much, it's usually gone by the end of the week.

(though strangely we've been getting a lot the past couple years)

Guy Compton
Mar 29, 2007

Well, new issue's out...

I guess things haven't always been rosy in this compound. I wonder who this Davidson was and what he made them do. It was a really nice tease though.

Also...

Is this the first issue that's been completely zombie-free? Even in the more peaceful parts of the prison arc, there were still tons of zombies amassed at the fence.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Guy Compton posted:

Well, new issue's out...

I guess things haven't always been rosy in this compound. I wonder who this Davidson was and what he made them do. It was a really nice tease though.

Well, we know he founded the community.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

(Not gonna spoiler this, since the issue's out)

My guess is that Davidson was very Rick-like in his leadership style, and by this I mean Prison-arc Rick. Killing perceived threats, making harsh decisions that probably didn't go over too well with the rest of his group, etc. Rick has sort of mellowed a bit since that arc in terms of leading with an iron fist (though he's certainly a lot crazier since then, as shown by the immediate rage he went into when he couldn't find Carl), but I'd imagine that, within a few issues, they'll start "looking to him for guidance" and start comparing his methods to this Davidson fellow's.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I'm a little disappointed in the 'interview', didn't he just basically tell a story then say "Hey you can be our sheriff", feels like they missed out on a whole lot..

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Affi posted:

I'm a little disappointed in the 'interview', didn't he just basically tell a story then say "Hey you can be our sheriff", feels like they missed out on a whole lot..

You can tell alot from a person just by having a random conversation with him. You get more sometimes by not mentioning specific things you're looking to get.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
But that wasn't a conversation, that was a monologue :P I think Rick said three things in there.

Guy Compton
Mar 29, 2007

Affi posted:

But that wasn't a conversation, that was a monologue :P I think Rick said three things in there.

Well, the congressman guy did say that most of the determination of whether they were worthy was already made by observing them in the field. Maybe he just wanted to see if Rick would get pissed about his longwindedness and try to eat his eyeballs. :chef:

Speaking of eyeballs, what do you think really happened to that little kid's eye?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Seriously, in a post apocalyptic world, surrounded by flesh-eating zombies, someone snapping for an instant and popping someone in the eye isn't that big a deal.

It's not good, don't get me wrong. Hitting kids is BAD. But for people who have gone through what these people have, I'd be surprised to see people who aren't horribly damaged.

Mind you, I do think the Senator was leading Rick on with the whole schtick about how you can judge a person by how they treat their women and children. If there is someone mistreating kids, an outsider would be perfect to help solve it as they're a neutral observer.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Feb 27, 2010

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
I hope Rick does not get sent on a mission to Florida to kill the eye eater. I think that would make me stop reading.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Antifreeze Head posted:

I hope Rick does not get sent on a mission to Florida to kill the eye eater. I think that would make me stop reading.

This is going to depress you, but that was a true story, or at least very very closely based on one. (It took place in Bakersfield, California, but every other detail is the same, so it may be the old man misremembering)

http://www.bakersfield.com/news/local/x339729128/Bakersfield-dad-accused-of-biting-out-sons-eye

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 28, 2010

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
poo poo I am from bakersfield, never heard about that.

Since we are back to the community setting, I cant help but think how loving solid a prison would be.

In fact the more I think about it the more it seems being a large group is trouble. Zombies would be drawn to you. Worse if someone gets bitten and hides it or just dies. Then you could get a chain reaction on the inside of the fence.

For my bet I think it will go the way of rick and friends are just too broken to get back into society

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

This is going to depress you, but that was a true story, or at least very very closely based on one. (It took place in Bakersfield, California, but every other detail is the same, so it may be the old man misremembering)

http://www.bakersfield.com/news/local/x339729128/Bakersfield-dad-accused-of-biting-out-sons-eye

Now that you mention it I vaguely recall hearing that, but the shock over that wasn't the reason for my disdain. Following this sort of storyline turns The Walking Dead into something that resembles a fetch quest from an MMO.

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010

Antifreeze Head posted:

Now that you mention it I vaguely recall hearing that, but the shock over that wasn't the reason for my disdain. Following this sort of storyline turns The Walking Dead into something that resembles a fetch quest from an MMO.

He's pretty obviously not gonna hunt down the eyeball guy, man. It was just a reference to the hosed up stuff people do.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."

Antifreeze Head posted:

Man, that would make an awesome MMO. Just imagine it, when you die your corpse can run back to you!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Sorry for bumping, but does anyone know when the next issue's out? They're so bad with release dates.

A big dumb baby
May 2, 2003

Comixology says this week, but I don't know if that's accurate.

Guy Compton
Mar 29, 2007

Image Comics says April 28.

http://www.imagecomics.com/issue.php?item=10578

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

I actually saw the point for the monologue. Douglas now knows that Rick is willing to kill if it's necessary, but doesn't do it at the drop of a hat (from not being shocked, and his reply 'assume it was necessary'). And knows that Rick will look after children as much as possible, from the facial reactions to the child-eye story.

I want to know what Davidson did/caused, and what happened to that kid's eye too. Things aren't as peachy as they look. I hope they stay level for a while longer yet.

Spoilered just in case.

• Locked thread