Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Browsing through this thread has caused me to add Dual sports to my list of bikes to look for as I search for my first bike! I'm going to be doing almost nothing but street riding with the occasional gravelly road so it seems my best bet for a great cheap bike would be a drz 400?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You might actually find a KLR650 or DR650 a better choice if you're not doing much more than light offroading. It's way more comfortable, and you can find good, used examples under $2000 without much effort. You can't really supermoto them (well, you probably could, but it's not the best choice), but you can go on a highway without quite the vibrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Uh, DR650 SM's are awesome :colbert:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah.

I actually just made that statement thinking about the KLR.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
The KLR seems pretty appropriate for what I need and want, you mentioned finding one for under 2k? The usual places I check aren't turning up many at all, and few below 3k evne.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Here's one in Gainesville:
http://gainesville.craigslist.org/mcy/1612948946.html

I'm pretty sure there's no real differences between an 89 and whatever the last year before the refresh was (07, maybe?). But I guess, yeah, under $3000 seems like what people on CL are asking.
http://craiglook.com/motorcycles.html?q=klr

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Browsing through this thread has caused me to add Dual sports to my list of bikes to look for as I search for my first bike! I'm going to be doing almost nothing but street riding with the occasional gravelly road so it seems my best bet for a great cheap bike would be a drz 400?

This is really all you need to know:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYu7DQn5vAI

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That's a DRZ, all the haters can suck it. :v:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

Coulda cleared the whole city on a 690 :colbert:

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

AncientTV posted:

Pft. Steve McQueen could do better in a Mustang.

Flatlanded
Sep 8, 2009

Chill_Bebop posted:

I dunno if its really helpful on a SM, but Clarke Manufacturing has told customers that most DR Desert Tanks will fit onto a DRZ with some minor fitting. Would ruin the lines but would probably be useful.

This is a really old post, but I did this on my 2006 DRZ. Fitting the new tank on was really straightforward and easy, just make sure to blow all the extra plastic crap from the mold lines out of the inside of the tank. It about tripled the range on the bike on the freeway, but it did completely ruin the lines on the bike. It also felt a little harder to maneuver but that could have just been me.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

AncientTV posted:

Pretty much the answer to any DRZ question.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Spiffness posted:

Coulda cleared the whole city on a 690 :colbert:

And rained down parts. :colbert:

Z3n posted:

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2010/02/bottoms-up-sloganeering-and-engineering.html

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 24, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

I don't know how to feel about that site, but I...I strangely like it.

Also:

Because you always wanted to grip a clear dildo as you rode your bicycle.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bikesnob is absolutely hilarious. Everyone should read it even if they arent into bicycles.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Guys, I have the option (and the cash) to buy either a husky SM610 or a drz400sm in the next 3 months. Has anyone had any experience with the husky? There's a few for sale in my area, which is really unusual given my area has one of the worst motorcycle markets around.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

The KLR seems pretty appropriate for what I need and want, you mentioned finding one for under 2k? The usual places I check aren't turning up many at all, and few below 3k evne.

I'm going to sell my 1995 KLR 650 sometime soon for about $1750 and it's in great mechanical shape after I wasted a ton on it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

abigserve posted:

Guys, I have the option (and the cash) to buy either a husky SM610 or a drz400sm in the next 3 months. Has anyone had any experience with the husky? There's a few for sale in my area, which is really unusual given my area has one of the worst motorcycle markets around.

They're not quite as balls to the wall as the KTMs, but definitely an upgrade from the DRZ...basically, I'm into tinkering so I went with the DRZ, and when it's done it should be fairly comparable to the Husky, both in performance and in overall price. On the flip side, the Husky won't require any serious mods and will pretty much be ready to go from the start.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Z3n posted:

They're not quite as balls to the wall as the KTMs, but definitely an upgrade from the DRZ...basically, I'm into tinkering so I went with the DRZ, and when it's done it should be fairly comparable to the Husky, both in performance and in overall price. On the flip side, the Husky won't require any serious mods and will pretty much be ready to go from the start.

I'm not as much of a tinkerer...what bits and bobs have you added/modified?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

abigserve posted:

I'm not as much of a tinkerer...what bits and bobs have you added/modified?

By the time I'm done with my DRZ, it's gonna have just about everything modified. I want to ride off and on-road, so I'm gonna have 2 sets of wheels (Offroad in stock DRZ-E sizes and 17s for supermoto), suspension upgraded, brake kit, exhaust, bore kit, new carb, plus a bunch of other random stuff. If it were a toss up for me between buying a newer DRZ400SM and the husky, it'd be the husky. I'll be buying an older S (dual sport) model and modifying it to supermoto.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Buy the Husky if you want more balls for your dollar. Buy the DRZ if you want to save money at first, and then spend a lot of money upgrading every component.

The husky 610 sits between the DRZ and the KTM 690 as streetable supermotos. It's got plenty of power (50 HP or so), relatively low weight, good kit (brembo) and a fair bit of personality.

If the cash isn't an obstacle to you, pick one up. You wont regret it.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Buy the Husky, the front brake alone is worth it. The sixth gear alone is worth it. The power increase alone is worth it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The 6th gear is one thing I really, really wish the DRZ had. :sigh:

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Z3n posted:

god i know, I ride my gfs and i hit the top and I JUST WANT ONE MORE PLEASE

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Spiffness posted:

Buy the Husky if you want more balls for your dollar. Buy the DRZ if you want to save money at first, and then spend a lot of money upgrading every component.

The husky 610 sits between the DRZ and the KTM 690 as streetable supermotos. It's got plenty of power (50 HP or so), relatively low weight, good kit (brembo) and a fair bit of personality.

If the cash isn't an obstacle to you, pick one up. You wont regret it.

Cool! I'll have to give one a test drive in the next couple of weeks.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Armacham posted:

god i know, I ride my gfs and i hit the top and I JUST WANT ONE MORE PLEASE

It's the only 5 speed I've ever ridden like that. I think the gearing is too offroad compromised to really work great on the street. I'm gonna mess with the gearing on mine, but I have a feeling that if it gets tall enough for 5th to act as a decent highway gear, 1rst is going to get too tall for wheelie fun. We'll have to see, but sprockets are pretty cheap.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

The DRZ has one of the tightest gear ratios of any dual sport out there, even comparing with other 5-speeds. It's really kind of atrocious in that respect.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I was wrong, the DRZ actually has THE narrowest gear ratio of any dual sport.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281742

3.90 Yamaha XT225 (6 speed) 19.69
3.78 Honda CRF230L (6 speed) 19.12
3.75 Suzuki DR125 (6 speed) 18.95
3.63 Kawasaki Sherpa 250 (6 speed) 18.30
3.46 Yamaha XT250 2008 (5 speed) 17.50
3.45 Yamaha TW200 (5 speed) 17.43
3.40 Husqvarna TE610 (6 speed) 17.16
3.36 Yamaha WR250R/WR250X (6 speed) 16.99
3.32 Kawasaki KLR250 (6 speed) 16.76
3.27 BMW G650X (5 speed) 16.54
3.18 KTM 530 E/XC-R (6 speed)
3.18 Husaberg FE650E (6 speed) 16.07
3.18 Honda XR650L (5 speed) 16.07
3.15 Kawasaki KLX250 (6 speed) 15.91
3.13 BMW F650GS (5 speed) 15.79
3.06 KTM 640 Adventure (5 speed) 15.44
3.04 KTM 950 (6 speed) 15.37
3.01 KTM 520 E/XC (6 speed) 15.16
2.93 Suzuki DR650 (5 speed) 14.77
2.88 KTM 690 Enduro (6 speed) 14.48
2.86 Kawasaki KLR650 (5 speed) 14.42
2.66 Honda XR650R (5 speed) 13.43
2.65 Suzuki DRZ400 (5 speed) 13.36

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It's really absurd. The bike would be a lot better with a little more spread between the gears. But on the flip side, it's a very engaging bike to ride up until about 55mph thanks to that close ratio box. But it was also bizarre to ride it up a tight road and have to shift it so much. It's probably made worse though because of the top end of the bike being effectively lopped off by the restrictive stock exhaust...I need to figure out some way to let it breathe better without making it super loud.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007

abigserve posted:

I thought a new bike was on the horizon so I too was looking at the sm610 and DRZ. The thing I considered the most was maintenance and upkeep costs. The 610 will be more costly especially if you say you are not a tinkerer. In the end, it turns out I couldn't get a new toy. But if I had, it would have been the DRZ due to the maintenance intervals, their general bomb-proofness, and the amount of miles I put on.

Also, if you are looking at used sm610s make sure you find out what click the cam chain tensioner is at. They recommend it changed when it reaches 8-10 and shops charge a hefty amount for it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ant mouth posted:

I thought a new bike was on the horizon so I too was looking at the sm610 and DRZ. The thing I considered the most was maintenance and upkeep costs. The 610 will be more costly especially if you say you are not a tinkerer. In the end, it turns out I couldn't get a new toy. But if I had, it would have been the DRZ due to the maintenance intervals, their general bomb-proofness, and the amount of miles I put on.

Also, if you are looking at used sm610s make sure you find out what click the cam chain tensioner is at. They recommend it changed when it reaches 8-10 and shops charge a hefty amount for it.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=403478

It's not too difficult to change the cam chain out.

Here's the general ADVrider husky 610TE/SM thread...ADV rider has some great resources.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156431

And the husky has the same 3k oil, 6k valves as the DRZ does. A lot of that power comes from the additional displacement the husky has over the DRZ.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
Where do the Aprilias stand when compared to the Huskys for a street motard?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
It seems to be a pretty general consensus among Husky guys that if you end up needing a new connecting rod or something, it's gonna take half a year to get it (or forever). Even the power-up kits are a hassle to get your hands on. Of course, this is more of a deal breaker for the 450s and 510s (which are gonna end up needing engine parts, usually before 10K). I dunno how great the dealer service/getting parts is with KTMs, but I can't see it being any worse than for Huskys.

Also Huskys are entirely soft metal. You could practically hand tighten a bolt and strip it.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Z3n posted:

I need to figure out some way to let it breathe better without making it super loud.

No offense, and I might be misunderstanding you, but if you're thought process is "I don't want my supermoto to be too annoying to other people" you're really doing it wrong.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
I was under the impression the factory recommendation for valves was 14k on a DRZ.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

cmorrow001 posted:

Where do the Aprilias stand when compared to the Huskys for a street motard?

Factory oil change on the Aprilia is 1k miles, but basically everyone I know who owns them changes it at 500 or even sooner. You change it every 3k on the Husky.

The aprilia is a highly, highly tuned, tiny Vtwin. It's like running a race 450 on the street, not even closely comparable. The factory recommendation is piston replacements at 6k but I think that's under race conditions, it could probably go longer under street use.

pr0zac posted:

No offense, and I might be misunderstanding you, but if you're thought process is "I don't want my supermoto to be too annoying to other people" you're really doing it wrong.

It has nothing to do with being annoying to other people (although it's a nice bonus) and everything to do with avoiding cop attention, and avoiding annoying myself on long trips on the bike.

ant mouth posted:

I was under the impression the factory recommendation for valves was 14k on a DRZ.

Weird, I seem to have all my valve adjustment intervals mixed up. I'd check them more often than that, just to be on the safe side, most people seem to check them every 1-3k, depending on how anal they are. But those people also report that they don't see any change, either, so it seems to be a mixed bag.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 26, 2010

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Allright tards. What's the deal with flat slide carbs anyway? What's with a flat slide that makes the motor go unf unf better than a, umm, round slide?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

Allright tards. What's the deal with flat slide carbs anyway? What's with a flat slide that makes the motor go unf unf better than a, umm, round slide?

Your answers lie in this picture:

Edit: Not a sumo. But one of them played one once, so it counts.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Aha, so less restriction for a given diameter basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

Aha, so less restriction for a given diameter basically.

Blamo. Plus they're not tuned for emissions requirements, so you can blech out sweet, sweet noxious emissions to make power without worrying about the jerks at the EPA harshing your buzz.

• Locked thread