Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, the Josh Brolin thing is weird. He was in Goonies, then he shows up again in Planet Terror, then BAM, No Country for Old Men.

Speaking of Josh Brolin I was looking through IMDB to see if I could find any other movies he may have been in that I overlooked, and I came across Nightwatch starring Ewan McGregor, Josh Brolin, Nick Nolte, and Patricia Arquette. It sounds interesting enough, and I'm thinking of renting it tonight. Any thoughts on the film?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Never got around to seeing the remake, but the original Danish version of Nightwatch (by the same director) was excellent. And creepy as hell.

The original has a higher IMDB rating for what it's worth.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Parachute posted:

Speaking of Josh Brolin I was looking through IMDB to see if I could find any other movies he may have been in that I overlooked, and I came across Nightwatch starring Ewan McGregor, Josh Brolin, Nick Nolte, and Patricia Arquette. It sounds interesting enough, and I'm thinking of renting it tonight. Any thoughts on the film?

Don't. There's loads of style, but the substance is so weak and insipid that it becomes a chore. How great of a horror movie/thriller should you be able to set in a hospital morgue after hours? And yet all the most unsettling moments of the film come before the terrible, terrible story really gets going. The killer is pretty insanely obvious, big chunks of the plot make little to no sense, the denouement is just...well, it's there.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Is that the movie where Nick Nolte drizzles seaman on a corpse after having sex with it?

Jim Bont
Apr 29, 2008

You were supposed to take those out of the deck.
I don't know if this has been asked before, and I don't know if there's an answer. But why do so many films and TV shows speed up music? They sometimes even do it so minutely that whatever reason there is wouldn't be applicable. Like 'She Sells Sanctuary' in Layer Cake... it sounds just a little too fast, and it slightly breaks my immersion and enjoyment. I'm more curious than irritated. The most recent one I heard was a really fast version of 'Don't Stop Believin' in Monster.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

walkenator posted:

I don't know if this has been asked before, and I don't know if there's an answer. But why do so many films and TV shows speed up music? They sometimes even do it so minutely that whatever reason there is wouldn't be applicable. Like 'She Sells Sanctuary' in Layer Cake... it sounds just a little too fast, and it slightly breaks my immersion and enjoyment. I'm more curious than irritated. The most recent one I heard was a really fast version of 'Don't Stop Believin' in Monster.

If you're in a PAL region, it's probably due to things being sped up slightly to account for the differences in frame rates between NTSC and PAL (assuming you're talking about tv shows/movies on dvd, anyway). The pitch is lowered so it sounds the same, just a tiny bit quicker.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

President Anime 2008 posted:

The pitch is lowered so it sounds the same, just a tiny bit quicker.
Unfortunately this isn't even always done, so it sounds faster and higher pitched. Once you notice it in can make things seem a bit comical.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Is that the movie where Nick Nolte drizzles seaman on a corpse after having sex with it?

Yes

e: semen, that is. Not actually a sailor.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Akuma posted:

Unfortunately this isn't even always done, so it sounds faster and higher pitched. Once you notice it in can make things seem a bit comical.

Actually on the subject of NTSC -> PAL, why is it that some old console games (Sonic the Hedgehog being the most extreme example) are a great deal slower on PAL systems? Shouldn't it be faster like movies and TV shows are?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Yes

e: semen, that is. Not actually a sailor.

Whoops, I can't spell. But I guess it's uh, good, I was thinking of the right movie.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

President Anime 2008 posted:

Actually on the subject of NTSC -> PAL, why is it that some old console games (Sonic the Hedgehog being the most extreme example) are a great deal slower on PAL systems? Shouldn't it be faster like movies and TV shows are?

PAL is 50 Hz and NTSC is 60 Hz. What you're thinking of is why movies are faster on PAL. Movies are 24 frames per second. NTSC plays them the right speed since the conversion from 24p to 60i works perfectly. (Look up 3:2 pulldown for more info.) For PAL, they double every frame and interlace it (24p to 48i), then play it at 50 Hz. That's why 24p movies play back slightly faster on PAL.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Is there a reason for the region stuff outside of making sure us in North America can't buy super awesome versions of Blackadder from the UK?

Outside of some semblance of protecting domestic dvd markets, it doesn't seem to have any application.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
The release rights for a single movie might be owned by different distributors for each market. Region locking helps make sure that only the company that owns the rights within a region is selling to that region.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

The release rights for a single movie might be owned by different distributors for each market. Region locking helps make sure that only the company that owns the rights within a region is selling to that region.

yes, and also helps protect pricing within a region so that people can't import cheaper versions and undercut distributors.

VVVVVVVVVV Yes, definitely

therattle fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 22, 2010

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

therattle posted:

yes, and also helps protect pricing within a region so that people can't import cheaper versions and undercut distributors.

It's also lowering the risk of imports cannibalizing ticket sales like when a movie is just about to run in European cinemas but is already out on DVD/BluRay in the States. I think that (and licensing bullshit) is also the reason you don't get the whole slew of different subtitles like you used to. I remember DVDs having subtitles in every language you could think of, which is becoming increasingly rare.

itrorev
Sep 22, 2006
There was something in Highlander that always bugged me... why did the Kurgan wait so damned long to fight Conner? (Was there something I missed?)

He had numerous opportunities to kill him off while Conner was still a young inexperienced immortal, such as:

-the five or so years when while Connor was living in that castle-thing with his wife, prior to Ramirez showing up.

-the time period after Kurgans fight with Ramirez. (just wait around for Conner to come back then off him)

-the 30-50 year period where Conner stayed with his wife, until her death by old age.

Instead he waits 400 goddamn years, allowing Conner build up his skills and experience, becoming a more dangerous opponent.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

itrorev posted:

There was something in Highlander that always bugged me... why did the Kurgan wait so damned long to fight Conner? (Was there something I missed?)

He had numerous opportunities to kill him off while Conner was still a young inexperienced immortal, such as:

-the five or so years when while Connor was living in that castle-thing with his wife, prior to Ramirez showing up.

-the time period after Kurgans fight with Ramirez. (just wait around for Conner to come back then off him)

-the 30-50 year period where Conner stayed with his wife, until her death by old age.

Instead he waits 400 goddamn years, allowing Conner build up his skills and experience, becoming a more dangerous opponent.

When an immortal kills another immortal, he absorbs all the power that immortal had accumulated over his lifetime. By letting Conner live for some 400, years, he was guaranteed a better "harvest" than if he had just offed him on his first day as an immortal. Like fattening a cow before you slaughter it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

itrorev posted:

I think the important thing to keep in mind is that the Kurgan is as metal as gently caress. Remember that flashback where he's got that armour? Metal as gently caress. In fact the Kurgan may be the most metal bad guy in cinema history, slightly edging out the main bad guy from that Riddick film. And that guy is the head of a bunch of dudes called Necromongers (who look like they might be a GWAR cover band), and at one point he kills a guy by reaching into him, ripping out his soul, and then punching it. But this is the Kurgan:

When you're that fuckin' metal I think you can pretty much kill guys on your own timetable.

So in summary I think that any theory that explains the Kurgan's actions must take into account that he is metal as gently caress.

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
This was gonna be a quick question but now its a two parter:

Original: Is Wall Street any good?

new part: Would it be better if The Kurgan was in it?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

spe posted:

This was gonna be a quick question but now its a two parter:

The trouble with Wall Street is that the good part ("greed is good") is really, memorably good and Martin Sheen and Michael Douglas are totally captivating - but every scene not about them is total poo poo.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

penismightier posted:

The trouble with Wall Street is that the good part ("greed is good") is really, memorably good and Martin Sheen and Michael Douglas are totally captivating - but every scene not about them is total poo poo.

Especially the scenes with Darryl Hannah.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Binowru posted:

Especially the scenes with Darryl Hannah.

The worst part is when Sheen looks to the night sky and asks "who am I?" That's just bad.

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl

spe posted:

I love Wall Street, rewatched it pretty recently too. I'd say it's the most challenging role that Charlie Sheen has done well in, and his interplay with John C. McGinley is fun too.

A solid movie, if you're interested I'd definitely recommend it. And Kurgan would be good in it.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hi, I have a sudden need for film noir movies. I'm looking for the noir-est of noir: dames, goons, Mr. Big, the whole nine yards. Cheesy is acceptable. What should I see?

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

SuperKlaus posted:

Hi, I have a sudden need for film noir movies. I'm looking for the noir-est of noir: dames, goons, Mr. Big, the whole nine yards. Cheesy is acceptable. What should I see?

Double Indemnity.

I've never seen it, but heard good things about Sunset Boulevard also.

I've also recently had a film geek crush on Chinatown, which has many noir-ish elements, but technically isn't considered noir.

Glass Joe fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Feb 26, 2010

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."
The Maltese Falcon and The Big Sleep are both obvious choices, but they both own so there is a reason for that. There are a ton of really great noir films put out by the Criterion Collection. Basically anything by Sam Fuller (Pickup on South Street) or Jules Dassin (Night and the City or Brute Force) is going to rule. If you are willing to go international Branded to Kill is insanely cool.

Edit: Can't disagree with Glass Joe though. If you really want to get knee deep in noir quickly Double Indemnity is probably on the top of the must see list.

McNutty fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Feb 26, 2010

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

SuperKlaus posted:

The standard noir recommendations are all great films, but you may want to go slightly off the beaten path for the ultimate noir experience. My personal favorite noir is Kiss Me Deadly, which feels a little more low rent than something like The Big Sleep, but it gains an edgier quality as a result. It's got plenty of girls, a classic wisecracking tough-guy protagonist (Mike Hammer, if you're up on your hard-boiled detectives), and a typically-confusing noir plot that doesn't make much sense but has an insane twist ending you probably won't forget. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Schlitzkrieg Bop fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Feb 26, 2010

CHOICE COD
Mar 11, 2007
Sometimes I'll eat money. Just to do it. Just to see how it feels. It feels good, it feels powerful.

SuperKlaus posted:

"Murder, My Sweet" has a character named Moose Malloy, I think that alone is enough to qualify.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

We had the same question the other day in the General CD Discussion thread (even though we do have a Recommend Me thread). I'll just repost my answer from there:

me posted:

I'm on a huge film noir kick right now, and there's still a bunch I haven't seen, but these are some of my favorites:

Double Indemnity
Murder By Contract
Touch of Evil
The Stranger
Sweet Smell of Success
The Third Man
The Night of the Hunter
Nightmare Alley
Bad Day at Black Rock
Where the Sidewalk Ends
The Asphalt Jungle
The Lady from Shanghai
Gun Crazy
Laura
Murder, My Sweet
The Maltese Falcon

and a few foreign ones:

Diabolique
Stray Dog
Elevator to the Gallows
Quai des Orferves
Bob le flambeur
The Wages of Fear

You can also do what I'm doing, and just go through the They Shot Dark Pictures, Didn't They? list.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 26, 2010

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl
Good noir recommendations so far, don't forget Out of the Past and Blast of Silence. And hell, play Max Payne.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Let's not forget Detour. Real cheap, mean Poverty Row classic. In the public domain, too, so you can watch it online.

"I was tussling with the most dangerous animal in the world, a woman. "

Satch
Mar 2, 2007

Hecho en Mexico

penismightier posted:

Let's not forget Detour. Real cheap, mean Poverty Row classic. In the public domain, too, so you can watch it online.

"I was tussling with the most dangerous animal in the world, a woman. "

Detour is the poo poo. I think my favorite part is how they had to tack on the ending because back then you couldn't let this guy walk away without being arrested.

Apparently it was remade in the 80's but gently caress that.

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!
Gilda is one I would like add to the list here.

I'm also surprised nobody has mentioned Brick yet. The first time I watched it, I kept thinking to myself "This is noir as gently caress."

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I throw my full support behind Gilda, Detour and Out of the Past (all in my collection). Haven't seen Blast of Silence yet.

Brick is fun too, but of course it's not "true" noir by the strictest definition. I also found the noir leanings to be a bit annoyingly self-conscious.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

FFD, watch Blast of Silence - it's terrific.

I hate Brick so much. It just feels awkward to me. Trying too hard. Am I the only one?

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!
It reminded me of Romeo + Juliet in that it is hard to get over the fact that theses characters in this setting should not speak at all like that.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008

SubG posted:

Hey, I've seen that helm before!

In other news, I'm ashamed I haven't seen that movie. Highlander (2012) sounds like a remake?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Wow, thanks for the outpouring of recommendations. Sorry I missed the Recommend Me thread. I'll get right on these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
For noir movies I also recommend "DOA"