Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
This is interesting, since we basically have the phones in question but are looking for the cheapest plan. My dad has a Nokia E71 and I'm getting an E72. What is the cheapest family plan for 2 nokia smartphones with/without data plus two regular dumbphones, assuming the minimum 750 minutes plus unlimited texting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I'm on the lookout for a new phone. Went into the shop today and came away with a few options but I'm not sure which would be best for me.

Country / provider: UK T-Mobile
Contract status: Upgrade due
Budget: Currently on £30/mth, willing to go as high as £40 if it's a very good phone. Unlimited texts / internet is a must, low-to-mid minutes as I don't call that much.
Features I want: Good internet access is a must. Google pretty much runs my life at the moment so I'm strongly leaning towards an Android phone - failing that anything which can easily sync with my Google Calendar.

The girl in the shop offered me the LG In Touch on my current plan (which seems like a good entry-level Droid) or the HTC HD2 for an extra £5 which looked very nice, although the size of it and the fact that it's Windows 6.5 (isn't 7 just around the corner?) put me off a little.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Peven Stan posted:

This is interesting, since we basically have the phones in question but are looking for the cheapest plan. My dad has a Nokia E71 and I'm getting an E72. What is the cheapest family plan for 2 nokia smartphones with/without data plus two regular dumbphones, assuming the minimum 750 minutes plus unlimited texting.

TMobile Even More Plus. $109.99, no contract!!

That's with data.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Peven Stan posted:

T-Mobile's 3G won't work with literally every S60 device. Plus, why the hell are you getting a device more ancient than the ancient BlackBerry? Get an Android phone, they are modern devices from the year of 2010, not 2000. The Nexus One is definitely your best bet, even though it's an expensive option.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Godzilla07 posted:

T-Mobile's 3G won't work with literally every S60 device. Plus, why the hell are you getting a device more ancient than the ancient BlackBerry? Get an Android phone, they are modern devices from the year of 2010, not 2000. The Nexus One is definitely your best bet, even though it's an expensive option.

E72 came out last year chiefo!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Peven Stan posted:

Nokia's are cool, but Symbian in general is currently out of date compared to Android.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Peven Stan posted:

Symbian comes straight out of 2000. It's a waste of money to spend $350 if you're gonna do it, go to T-Mobile and basically have a BlackBerry 8900 but shittier. No 3G, just EDGE which can be painful. The only Nokia smartphone that works on T-Mobile 3G is the N900 and that's a rough product right now. Get the Nexus One.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
My wife and I have been on a $90/mo total SERO plan for a few years, but we are ready to get out of the winmo game and into the Android game.

The problem is, the plans I have looked at are about $200/mo for unlimited text and data... any tips on getting a better deal?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Eyecannon posted:

My wife and I have been on a $90/mo total SERO plan for a few years, but we are ready to get out of the winmo game and into the Android game.

The problem is, the plans I have looked at are about $200/mo for unlimited text and data... any tips on getting a better deal?

How about the EPRP (new SERO) "Everything Plus Data 1600" plan? It's $109 for 2 lines, you get unlimited text, data, GPS, TV, etc. and calls to cell phones (regardless of provider) are free. You only use the shared 1600 minutes for calls to landlines. Unless you call landlines a hell of a lot, $20/month more to get Android seems like a good deal for you guys.

Since you're already on SERO, you can just call customer service and have them upgrade your lines to the EPRP family plan.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete

SamDabbers posted:

How about the EPRP (new SERO) "Everything Plus Data 1600" plan? It's $109 for 2 lines, you get unlimited text, data, GPS, TV, etc. and calls to cell phones (regardless of provider) are free. You only use the shared 1600 minutes for calls to landlines. Unless you call landlines a hell of a lot, $20/month more to get Android seems like a good deal for you guys.

Since you're already on SERO, you can just call customer service and have them upgrade your lines to the EPRP family plan.

That's not too bad, what are the android choices for Sprint though? Is the Pre the best?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Eyecannon posted:

That's not too bad, what are the android choices for Sprint though? Is the Pre the best?

Highly recommend the Hero or Moment over Palm. The Pre is really cool, but i have just had too many returns to really justify it over Android. The Moment has a better processor than the Hero (slightly noticable), other between those two its a style difference. They both work great and are getting upgraded to 2.1 hopefully in a month.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete

Duckman2008 posted:

Highly recommend the Hero or Moment over Palm. The Pre is really cool, but i have just had too many returns to really justify it over Android. The Moment has a better processor than the Hero (slightly noticable), other between those two its a style difference. They both work great and are getting upgraded to 2.1 hopefully in a month.

Hmmm no hardware keyboard on the Hero... does the Moment have a 3.5mm jack?

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Eyecannon posted:

yessir, it does.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Eyecannon posted:

Sprint is rumored to be getting the HTC Legend (Hero 2) and HTC Supersonic (4G jesus-phone) both Android 2.1 devices soon. The bitch is that neither one has a real keyboard. I'm torn. No official date has been announced for either one.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

900ftjesus posted:

Sprint is rumored to be getting the HTC Legend (Hero 2) and HTC Supersonic (4G jesus-phone) both Android 2.1 devices soon. The bitch is that neither one has a real keyboard. I'm torn. No official date has been announced for either one.

This has me torn too. I might hop to BB for better exchange/activesync support come upgrade time. Im tired of my hero failing to do push after a couple days.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

900ftjesus posted:

I though neither was coming until June at the earliest (which I guess isn't soon for me). But either of those I think would justify no keyboard.

Does Android support Bluetooth keyboards (i've only heard of people using them with Nokia)?

EndofGoogle
Nov 22, 2004
page 20 of 100
Country / provider: USA, T-Mobile
Contract status: Contract up soon, right now on a family plan
Budget: $150-200
Features I want: waterproof/shockproof/dustproof (yet not thick as hell, G'zOne's I felt seem bricky), GPS, long battery life, decent camera, good reception. Data and texting is a afterthought for my usage, so it doesn't need a massive screen and keyboard.

The Ginger Ninja
Apr 29, 2005

Better red than dead.
For the past two years, I've been on a legacy SERO plan, and madly in love with my Palm Centro. Unfortunately, now that the little guy is past its prime, its battery life has been decreasing rapidly, and it's become incredibly slow and buggy. Sigh, I guess it's time for an upgrade.

Country / provider: USA, Sprint legacy SERO
Contract status: Contract up any minute now
Budget: For a new phone, $150. Per month, $50.

Because I'm on legacy SERO and are loathe to lose my $30/month plan, I'm restricted from getting an awesome phone like the Pre, Pixi, or Hero. The Moment is allowable and looks pretty nice, but I'm still not sure if it'd be worth paying $99 for as a Centro upgrade. I've also been considering getting a Blackberry Tour and trying to get on the legacy SERO $10/mo data plan I've heard about around various forums, if possible.

But hey, maybe I should just switch plans altogether?

Features I want:.
-A smartphone with the best organizing system possible. I have two jobs and I'm a full-time grad student, so my phone needs to manage my life.
-That said, I can't live without a physical QWERTY keyboard.
-Push Gmail, please!
-And fast/reliable 3G.
-A decent camera would be nice, too.

What do you guys think? Stick to SERO and get another Centro, or a Moment or a Tour? Or switch plans altogether? Any good offers out there? Let me know, and thanks in advance for the input!

Edit: Never mind, I just ordered a Tour. Goodbye, Palm. Hello, Blackberry.

The Ginger Ninja fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 28, 2010

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows

cmorrow001 posted:

Looking for a new phone.

Country/Provider: USA / AT&T
Current contract status: Out of contract (willing to sign up for a new contract)
Phone Budget: ~$100
Features I know I want: I really want a phone good at texting, good call clarity with long battery life. I don't use many other features.

I'd prefer to stay away from anything that requires a data plan but I wouldn't be against not singing a new contract and just buying a phone outright if it gives me better options.

Okay. I've narrowed it down. Samsung Mythic or Samsung Impression?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I'm in the market for a new phone, here's my info, I currently have a samsung gravity.

Country / provider: T-Mobile
Contract status: On a family plan, but due for an upgrade
Budget: $150ish
Features I want: GPS, fast internet, customizable.

I stopped by the T Mobile store, and it looks like an Android phone is the way to go. My sister has a Blackberry 8520 and the internet on that can be painfully slow, so the salesman steered me towards the 3G devices. Basically it looks like it's the G1, MyTouch, Behold or Cliq. All of them are in my price range, and it looked like the MyTouch was the best option. Any of you have experience with that particular phone? I basically want a phone that can browse the internet fairly quickly, can use GPS for my golfing addiction, and maybe has a few neat apps/games I can download on it.

I think the Nexus One is a little out of my price range, or I'd get that. Is the My Touch a suitable internet browsing machine? I know 3G is faster than the EDGE crap my sister has, but how great is T Mobile's 3G coverage?

Thanks for the help!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DoctaFun posted:

I'm in the market for a new phone, here's my info, I currently have a samsung gravity.

Country / provider: T-Mobile
Contract status: On a family plan, but due for an upgrade
Budget: $150ish
Features I want: GPS, fast internet, customizable.

I stopped by the T Mobile store, and it looks like an Android phone is the way to go. My sister has a Blackberry 8520 and the internet on that can be painfully slow, so the salesman steered me towards the 3G devices. Basically it looks like it's the G1, MyTouch, Behold or Cliq. All of them are in my price range, and it looked like the MyTouch was the best option. Any of you have experience with that particular phone? I basically want a phone that can browse the internet fairly quickly, can use GPS for my golfing addiction, and maybe has a few neat apps/games I can download on it.

I think the Nexus One is a little out of my price range, or I'd get that. Is the My Touch a suitable internet browsing machine? I know 3G is faster than the EDGE crap my sister has, but how great is T Mobile's 3G coverage?

Thanks for the help!

TMo has been rampng up their 3G fairly quickly by this point, so you should hit it in most areas (not all). If you live in a city it'll be pretty solid, just when you get out to the boonies that you won't have it.

MyTouch is a solid phone, but it does run older hardware so just keep in mind the N1 is a bit more, but its def worth it. I would buy with no contract and go even more plus, you'll save money in the long run.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Duckman2008 posted:

TMo has been rampng up their 3G fairly quickly by this point, so you should hit it in most areas (not all). If you live in a city it'll be pretty solid, just when you get out to the boonies that you won't have it.

MyTouch is a solid phone, but it does run older hardware so just keep in mind the N1 is a bit more, but its def worth it. I would buy with no contract and go even more plus, you'll save money in the long run.

Unfortunately I do not have enough money right now to shell out on a non-contract phone, how much is the N1 without contract, like $500? I couldn't afford much more than $150 up front. I am on a family plan, and my wonderful parents pay the entire phone bill every month, so the only cost I have is the phone, and then the data plan every month. I guess I should have said that in the original post huh? I'm not clear on how much the N1 would cost with a contract, the website says $279 if you are eligible. What do you have to do to be eligible for that "contract" price? Although $280 is a little out of my price range :(.

Out of the other android phones TMobile offers, is the MyTouch the best?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DoctaFun posted:

Unfortunately I do not have enough money right now to shell out on a non-contract phone, how much is the N1 without contract, like $500? I couldn't afford much more than $150 up front. I am on a family plan, and my wonderful parents pay the entire phone bill every month, so the only cost I have is the phone, and then the data plan every month. I guess I should have said that in the original post huh? I'm not clear on how much the N1 would cost with a contract, the website says $279 if you are eligible. What do you have to do to be eligible for that "contract" price? Although $280 is a little out of my price range :(.

Out of the other android phones TMobile offers, is the MyTouch the best?

MyTouch will work fine. What I mean by no contract is that TMobile will let you pay like, $150 or whatever today, and then you pay the phone off in $20 installments. Still on the bill, but separate from the plan so it isn't exactly a contract on the plan. I'm still a little fuzzy on it myself, but from what i have looked into i would do it.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

MonkeyFit posted:

Country/Provider: USA/GCI
Contract Status: On parents contract/not sure of specifics
Phone Budget: Up to $150
Features I want: decent camera, decent battery life, bluetooth, hardware keyboard, expandable memory, mp3 ringtones, free sync software, internet (including youtube).

Ok, so I'm selling my Wii+ games for $300, and I figure why not buy a nice phone with it. This means my Budget is now up to $500ish. I'm Thinking I'd like a phone running at least android 2.0 for the google maps navigation. I'd also like one with a decent hardware keyboard. My provider told me any unlocked GSM phone will work with calls and texting, however some people have had internet issues with outside phones. The sales rep couldn't really elaborate beyond that, and I'm curious as to what issues I might run into. Even though I might be stuck with only calls and text, I would be free to jump to another provider at any time including AT&T. Being in Alaska, that's pretty much the only major cell carrier up here. I've been thinking about possibly a motorola droid, but I know there are other potentially better opions out there.

Lucificate
Jan 4, 2005
Looking for an upgrade for my wife and I. I currently use PPC6800, she uses my old old Razor V3m (I want to upgrade her to the same smartphone I get)

Country / provider: Verizon
Contract status: upgrade available on both phones/happy with my plan (old alltel my circle and I use google voice for free calls through it)
Budget: whatever
Features I want: fast internet, good tethering through PDAnet, real keyboard

Basically I think I'd want to grab the Droid, but I will hold out on upgrade if something better is coming along. Any ideas?

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete

The Ginger Ninja posted:

For the past two years, I've been on a legacy SERO plan, and madly in love with my Palm Centro. Unfortunately, now that the little guy is past its prime, its battery life has been decreasing rapidly, and it's become incredibly slow and buggy. Sigh, I guess it's time for an upgrade.

Country / provider: USA, Sprint legacy SERO
Contract status: Contract up any minute now
Budget: For a new phone, $150. Per month, $50.

Because I'm on legacy SERO and are loathe to lose my $30/month plan, I'm restricted from getting an awesome phone like the Pre, Pixi, or Hero. The Moment is allowable and looks pretty nice, but I'm still not sure if it'd be worth paying $99 for as a Centro upgrade. I've also been considering getting a Blackberry Tour and trying to get on the legacy SERO $10/mo data plan I've heard about around various forums, if possible.

But hey, maybe I should just switch plans altogether?

Features I want:.
-A smartphone with the best organizing system possible. I have two jobs and I'm a full-time grad student, so my phone needs to manage my life.
-That said, I can't live without a physical QWERTY keyboard.
-Push Gmail, please!
-And fast/reliable 3G.
-A decent camera would be nice, too.

What do you guys think? Stick to SERO and get another Centro, or a Moment or a Tour? Or switch plans altogether? Any good offers out there? Let me know, and thanks in advance for the input!

Edit: Never mind, I just ordered a Tour. Goodbye, Palm. Hello, Blackberry.

Wait, you can get a Moment on SERO? I thought it was Android?

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

My contract is expiring soon and I want to get a cheaper one with a regular candybar phone.

Country/Provider: UK/Orange
Contract status: Soon to expire (sometime in March, need to check exact date)
Budget: I'm paying £30/month at the moment for 600 minutes and unlimited texts but I don't use all that, so ideally something like £20 a month. I reckon I wouldn't have to pay extra for a phone as I don't want anything fancy.
Features: Standard candybar phone preffered. I'm on a Nokia 6220 classic at the moment and I like it. I think I'd like to stay with Nokia as I'm used to the style but if there is anything amazing/cheaper I might switch.

I would prefer to stay with Orange as I've got Magic Numbers with them (phone any Magic Number, as long as it's an Orange number for free for unlimited time). However if there are any similar deals on with other companies I'd switch.

edit: I've just seen that Orange have a £15/month plan, but it's for 36 months. All the other more expensive contracts are for 18 months. Ideally 18 month contracts would be the maximum.

Lady Gaza fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Mar 2, 2010

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Duckman2008 posted:

MyTouch will work fine. What I mean by no contract is that TMobile will let you pay like, $150 or whatever today, and then you pay the phone off in $20 installments. Still on the bill, but separate from the plan so it isn't exactly a contract on the plan. I'm still a little fuzzy on it myself, but from what i have looked into i would do it.

Hmmmm, I'll have to ask them about that. I'm thinking of buying the phone possibly this weekend. Hopefully I get my refund this week.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

MonkeyFit posted:

Ok, so I'm selling my Wii+ games for $300, and I figure why not buy a nice phone with it. This means my Budget is now up to $500ish. I'm Thinking I'd like a phone running at least android 2.0 for the google maps navigation. I'd also like one with a decent hardware keyboard. My provider told me any unlocked GSM phone will work with calls and texting, however some people have had internet issues with outside phones. The sales rep couldn't really elaborate beyond that, and I'm curious as to what issues I might run into. Even though I might be stuck with only calls and text, I would be free to jump to another provider at any time including AT&T. Being in Alaska, that's pretty much the only major cell carrier up here. I've been thinking about possibly a motorola droid, but I know there are other potentially better opions out there.

After reading the Android thread, and visiting Google's Site, I'm looking at a Nexus One phone now instead of a Droid. Anyone know if the Nexus One will run all it's features on AT&T's network? I figure if it does, then worse comes to worse, I'll ditch this local provider and jump to AT&T (without a plan :)). I'm a little flexible on my features since I'm coming from a Nokia 6101, which 5 years ago was great for me, but, is now 5 years old.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

MonkeyFit posted:

After reading the Android thread, and visiting Google's Site, I'm looking at a Nexus One phone now instead of a Droid. Anyone know if the Nexus One will run all it's features on AT&T's network? I figure if it does, then worse comes to worse, I'll ditch this local provider and jump to AT&T (without a plan :)). I'm a little flexible on my features since I'm coming from a Nokia 6101, which 5 years ago was great for me, but, is now 5 years old.

3g won't work. You're better off going with tmo with a nexus one. Or you could wait for the cdma one if you prefer Verizon.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Tedronai66 posted:

3g won't work. You're better off going with tmo with a nexus one. Or you could wait for the cdma one if you prefer Verizon.

Verizon doesn't have service up here and T-Mo's website spits me back to the home page when I put in my Alaska zipcode. I'm pretty much stuck with AT&T as far as major carriers go. :smith: Any known reason why 3G wouldn't work?

EDIT: Apparently T-Mo only has roaming coverage up here.

MonkeyFit fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 3, 2010

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MonkeyFit posted:

Verizon doesn't have service up here and T-Mo's website spits me back to the home page when I put in my Alaska zipcode. I'm pretty much stuck with AT&T as far as major carriers go. :smith: Any known reason why 3G wouldn't work?

EDIT: Apparently T-Mo only has roaming coverage up here.

I have a friend who lives in Alaska, your best bet coverage wise is AT&T. N1 should hit it later, it really is a much better idea to wait for the 3G version. Otherwise this is one case i might recommend a Blackberry Bold 2 or iPhone.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

I have a friend who lives in Alaska, your best bet coverage wise is AT&T. N1 should hit it later, it really is a much better idea to wait for the 3G version. Otherwise this is one case i might recommend a Blackberry Bold 2 or iPhone.

If I'm reading the tech specs and the shack FAQ correctly, then the current iteration does have 3G. Even if Verizon is coming up here, I would rather get a GSM 3G phone simply because if I decide to vacation out of the country, I can get a local sim card for cheap and swap it out. I suppose I just don't understand why 3G would be limited since AT&T supposedly has 3G coverage in my area according to their map, and I would be buying an unlocked phone that should accept their card.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MonkeyFit posted:

If I'm reading the tech specs and the shack FAQ correctly, then the current iteration does have 3G. Even if Verizon is coming up here, I would rather get a GSM 3G phone simply because if I decide to vacation out of the country, I can get a local sim card for cheap and swap it out. I suppose I just don't understand why 3G would be limited since AT&T supposedly has 3G coverage in my area according to their map, and I would be buying an unlocked phone that should accept their card.

The current Nexus 1 will NOT do 3G on AT&T. Period. If your local carrier has the band that the N1 does (aka TMo 3G band) then you are gold.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Country/Provider: Anchorage, AK USA / AT&T
Contract status: Expired.
Phone Budget: Best bang for the Buck for the budget-minded. As low as possible without being "cheap" and sacrificing quality.
Plan Budget: Currently on AT&T's $39.99/month 450 Rollover & 5000 Night/Weekend & Unlimited Mobile-To-Mobile Minutes
Features: Fairly traditional, rugged and cool looking, but not too complex in usage. Can stand roughing up. Good call clarity and battery life. Can take decent pictures (and possibly video) and text/email them. No other bells and whistles required. Not a G'z One but possibly a superior rival.

Notes: This phone is for my dad so I'm looking something that's at least somewhat eye-catchy in a rugged way, can take some punishment, and is simple to use. He doesn't need or want a lot of extras just reliability, which means good call clarity, signal, and battery life. The G'z One is almost exactly the kind of thing I'd get for him except that I already have one and I don't really like it. It drops calls waaay more than my old Nokia.

As far as plans go, despite the fact (or maybe because of it) that he's retired, amazingly, he still runs his yap all the time. I checked his usage history and he talked 595 minutes last month and 779 minutes the month before that so keep that in mind when looking for a new plan if any. Although unless someone can tell me different, apparently AT&T is about the only game in town in Anchorage Alaska. I called them up and they told me his contract expired so he can just join another 2 year plan and get a new phone if he wanted. They some said of the ones would only cost tax. But I can't seem to find a list of the phones available on their website. Anyway, all suggestions welcome!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

-Blackadder- posted:

Country/Provider: Anchorage, AK USA / AT&T
Contract status: Expired.
Phone Budget: Best bang for the Buck for the budget-minded. As low as possible without being "cheap" and sacrificing quality.
Plan Budget: Currently on AT&T's $39.99/month 450 Rollover & 5000 Night/Weekend & Unlimited Mobile-To-Mobile Minutes
Features: Fairly traditional, rugged and cool looking, but not too complex in usage. Can stand roughing up. Good call clarity and battery life. Can take decent pictures (and possibly video) and text/email them. No other bells and whistles required. Not a G'z One but possibly a superior rival.

Notes: This phone is for my dad so I'm looking something that's at least somewhat eye-catchy in a rugged way, can take some punishment, and is simple to use. He doesn't need or want a lot of extras just reliability, which means good call clarity, signal, and battery life. The G'z One is almost exactly the kind of thing I'd get for him except that I already have one and I don't really like it. It drops calls waaay more than my old Nokia.

As far as plans go, despite the fact (or maybe because of it) that he's retired, amazingly, he still runs his yap all the time. I checked his usage history and he talked 595 minutes last month and 779 minutes the month before that so keep that in mind when looking for a new plan if any. Although unless someone can tell me different, apparently AT&T is about the only game in town in Anchorage Alaska. I called them up and they told me his contract expired so he can just join another 2 year plan and get a new phone if he wanted. They some said of the ones would only cost tax. But I can't seem to find a list of the phones available on their website. Anyway, all suggestions welcome!

ATT is the only major carrier really in Alaska (see above), so you gotta go that or i believe there are 2 smalled providers. Just look for the most rugged ATT phone you can find.

And the only way to get more mins is to add em to your plan or up your plan. Kinda sucks.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Well I finally found a list of available phones for my dad. Would like to hear everyone's thoughts on them. The list is just the ones that are free with a new 2 year contract and a $40 Samsung Rugby because it sounded like something he might like.

Samsung Rugby
Sony Ericsson W518a
LG CF360
Samsung A237
Motorolla MOTO EM330
Nokia 6650
Nokia 2330
Samsung A777
Nokia Mural 6750
Nokia 6350

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

-Blackadder- posted:

Well I finally found a list of available phones for my dad. Would like to hear everyone's thoughts on them. The list is just the ones that are free with a new 2 year contract and a $40 Samsung Rugby because it sounded like something he might like.

Samsung Rugby
Sony Ericsson W518a
LG CF360
Samsung A237
Motorolla MOTO EM330
Nokia 6650
Nokia 2330
Samsung A777
Nokia Mural 6750
Nokia 6350

If he is looking for durability I do personally like the Nokia 6650. Nokias are setup weird, so it would take a bit getting used to, but its cool. I am not a fan of Sony Ericcson so i personally hate the W518.

Some of those are refurbs, and i especially don't advise refurbs if you are signing a contract. I think your best bet is the 6650 or maybe the Moto (i have no exp with it).

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

-Blackadder- posted:

Samsung Rugby
Sony Ericsson W518a
LG CF360
Samsung A237
Motorolla MOTO EM330
Nokia 6650
Nokia 2330
Samsung A777
Nokia Mural 6750
Nokia 6350

The Nokia 6650 looks like a nice feature phone, but the Samsung Rugby looks like it can take more of a beating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I could use some recommendations for myself as well...

Country/Provider: USA/Verizon
Contract status: About 4 months to go.
Phone Budget: Best bang for the Buck for the budget-minded. As low as possible without being "cheap" and sacrificing quality. But I might be willing to spend more if it's really nice.
Plan Budget: Currently on Verizon's $39.99/month 450 General Plan

Notes: This phone is for me. I guess my tastes are about the same as my dad but my situation is a little different. I hardly ever talk on my phone. Well not hardly ever my usage history is right around 425 minutes a month. But with the exception of my dad almost all of those calls are made to other Verizon users.

In any case, I'm wondering if a Pay-As-You-Go plan might be better for me since I talk so little and most of the talking I do is with other Verizon users. I could be wrong though since I'm not really able to make heads or tales of Verizons Pay-As-You-Go plans or any others prepaid plans including Tracphones.

Can you goons tell me if, based on my usage history, I would benefit more from a prepaid plan?