Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yad Rock
Mar 1, 2005

Geisladisk posted:

Someone tell me how to sound like this bassist. I like how his sound is crisp through the guitar wall, without overdroning the rhythm guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfnIBnz2_zw

Eh, just aim for Steve Harris instead because he has a bigger body of work and it would be easier to study :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Yeah, that stuff is total Iron Maiden worship. You also don't need fretboard clanking with that kind of sound. Clearness of sound owes a lot to the EQ of the other instruments, he's pretty loud in the mix as well. (the way it should be!)

trotski
Mar 26, 2009
Anyone know of any Warwick Thumb knockoffs anywhere? I really, really want the real thing, but unless I get hit by a Mercedes in a crosswalk or happen to become independently wealthy, there's no way I can afford one.

I wish Rondo made a Thumb clone, that would rule.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Rockbass?

trotski
Mar 26, 2009

Scarf posted:

Rockbass?

From the Warwick forums:

"We have Streamer Rockbasses but without the contoured body. We can't do this with the thumb, it would totally ruin the instrument's aesthetics."

Sigh.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Used bolt-on Thumb's really aren't that bad price wise, and the BO balances a little better too.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

NarkyBark posted:

Yeah, that stuff is total Iron Maiden worship. You also don't need fretboard clanking with that kind of sound. Clearness of sound owes a lot to the EQ of the other instruments, he's pretty loud in the mix as well. (the way it should be!)
I disagree, that tone is definitely from strings hitting the fretboard.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

DrChu posted:

I disagree, that tone is definitely from strings hitting the fretboard.

There are definitely some points where the strings are hitting the fretboard but not all the time. I can get that tone out of my GK 700RB by turning the volume to about 3/4 so it gets kind of distorted, crank the horns on my cab and make sure my treble knob is up on the bass its self. I need to dial down the woofer or I'll shake the house. I think that kind of tone is about not covering up the high-end sound that your bass makes.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I just got my first bass! Currently playing real quietly through my guitar amp until I land a practice amp. Since I'm starting out and the world is my oyster, does anyone have any good technique tips that I should try from the beginning? And should I be trying to play with more than two fingers, or is that completely unnecessary?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Yeeeeeeeaaaah.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
I don't really care for that style of guitar (or tobacco sunburst) but I'll make an exception for this one. Very classy.

baka kaba posted:

I just got my first bass! Currently playing real quietly through my guitar amp until I land a practice amp. Since I'm starting out and the world is my oyster, does anyone have any good technique tips that I should try from the beginning? And should I be trying to play with more than two fingers, or is that completely unnecessary?
In my untrained experience, yes. You will use the index and middle fingers 90% of the time (I'm assuming you're talking about your plucking hand), but you need to have the dexterity ready for when you DO need it. The one example I can think of off the top of my head is doing a walking bassline in A. If I want to come down to the low-E for the turnaround I find it easiest to pluck it with my ring finger.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Scarf posted:

Yeeeeeeeaaaah.

What is that? looks like a rich mans t 40

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

A MIRACLE posted:

What is that? looks like a rich mans t 40

Lakland hollowbody.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Congrats Scarf! I know you've been itching for that one for a long time.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Schatten posted:

Congrats Scarf! I know you've been itching for that one for a long time.

Ohh yes.

I'm not too crazy about the strings that are on it... but I've got a nice set of worn-in La Bella flats that I'll be throwing on it tomorrow :)

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Nothing better than a new toy! Even when it's just a pedal, I love the invigorating feeling.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Scarf posted:

Ohh yes.

I'm not too crazy about the strings that are on it... but I've got a nice set of worn-in La Bella flats that I'll be throwing on it tomorrow :)

Ohhhhhh man, flats on a semi hollow, you better be putting clips up because I'm green with envy!

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Can anyone lay down some newbie tips for learning songs by ear?

Take this, for example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMKLihdibEs

I've been playing notes trying to match them up and get them to sound right, but I am not having any luck.

Yad Rock
Mar 1, 2005

Gooch181 posted:

Can anyone lay down some newbie tips for learning songs by ear?

Take this, for example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMKLihdibEs

I've been playing notes trying to match them up and get them to sound right, but I am not having any luck.

Maybe you should start with something less challenging/cool. I consider myself decent at figuring out songs by ear, but Mike Watt stuff is still a big challenge. He doesn't "play by the rules" really; most slap-pop basslines are just octaves but that one might not be.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I could probably pick that song up pretty fast if I had tabs, I just completely lack the ability to figure stuff out by ear. :(

That song was just the thing I was currently struggling with, I'm still interested in general tips when trying to learn something by ear, as I have been unable to learn anything very well without cheating and peeking at the tabs.

Yad Rock
Mar 1, 2005
Whatever you do, DON'T look at Minutemen tabs. They are almost all wrong so they won't help you at all. Find some easy, popular, possibly lovely songs to attempt by ear so you when you check the tabs to see how close you were, they'll probably be right.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Tabs on the whole are a horrible learning practice. All they'll do is make you parrot some talentless hack's interpretation of an otherwise awesome bass line.

The best thing to do in the long run (and not the easiest, mind you) would be to properly learn the notes you're playing, then just reproduce good basslines by ear using that learning. You'll see common patterns emerge and it'll become a lot easier to figure out what bassists are playing just by listening to it.

Or you can follow some music theory classes, too.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Yep, tabs are worthless. Learning by ear takes practice, but it's a far better way to do it. Anymore, if I want to learn something I might check the tab to see if there is any easier way to play something, but on the whole it's not a good starting point even on the rare occurrence that it's correct.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Kynetx posted:

In my untrained experience, yes. You will use the index and middle fingers 90% of the time (I'm assuming you're talking about your plucking hand), but you need to have the dexterity ready for when you DO need it. The one example I can think of off the top of my head is doing a walking bassline in A. If I want to come down to the low-E for the turnaround I find it easiest to pluck it with my ring finger.

Yeah that sounds like good advice. Is there anything out there that you DO need more than two fingers to play, generally? Not that I'll necessarily try to play it or anything, I'm just pretty much clueless when it comes to bass technique.

I'm also trying to keep my fingers alternating instead of doing any 'economy picking' (like playing a string, having that finger come to rest against the lower one, and if I'm playing that string next using the same finger as it's already there) - or is that actually a good thing?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

baka kaba posted:

Yeah that sounds like good advice. Is there anything out there that you DO need more than two fingers to play, generally? Not that I'll necessarily try to play it or anything, I'm just pretty much clueless when it comes to bass technique.

I'm also trying to keep my fingers alternating instead of doing any 'economy picking' (like playing a string, having that finger come to rest against the lower one, and if I'm playing that string next using the same finger as it's already there) - or is that actually a good thing?

Bass technique varies a lot from player to player. If you're just starting out, remember to just relax and play in a way that is comfortable for your hands. Use only the lightest pressure necessary to play the note with your fretting hand. If you want to be louder let your amp do the heavy lifting. And practice with a metronome!

As you gain experience, you'll develop an ear and adjust your technique accordingly.

Bourbon
Sep 17, 2006

baka kaba posted:

I consider "economy picking" a good thing -- your finger is already there, why not use it? It's more efficient and lets you play faster.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

baka kaba posted:

The only downside to raking is it can be harder at first to follow a steady beat as opposed to alternating. Personally, I find it more confusing to switch fingers again.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

I think that alternating is a good habit to learn, but as you mature as a player you'll find situations where it's not as good a fit.

Also I concur 100% with the comment and picking gently. Hammering on the instrument is a very tough habit to break.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Has Sam Ash always matched shipping? I knew they matched price, but -

I called them to check if a particular case would fit my Surveyor, and found out that the website was quoting me 34 bucks shipping. The guy on the phone said he'd match shipping, so I checked the Musician's Friend website and they were shipping ESP bass cases for free. So I scored the case I wanted with free shipping to boot. Sweet!

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
I need some advice about an older bass, its a 1971 Gibson EB-0 that has been modified quite heavily over its life but it is a sexy beast.

The neck is pretty warped which I guess caused fret buzz, because at some point in its life a 1/8" shim was added under the bridge. This made the action super high, especially at the higher frets, which causes every note to be sharper and sharper as you go up the neck.

What kind of price would I be looking at for this to be set up? I have a few people in mind, I just want to know what is reasonable and what is getting ripped off.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

ZetsurinPower posted:

1971 Gibson EB-0

Nothing to contribute, I just wanted to say I'm really jealous. :swoon:

Big Face
Dec 5, 2009

by Peatpot
Don't really know where else to ask this but, does anyone know the what size Fender bass pot nuts are? I found a vintage 500k set that sound great in my grandfather's things but only one had a nut and my generic one is too small. Really don't want to go rooting around a hardware store but I might have to if no one knows :/

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

ZetsurinPower posted:

I need some advice about an older bass, its a 1971 Gibson EB-0 that has been modified quite heavily over its life but it is a sexy beast.

The neck is pretty warped which I guess caused fret buzz, because at some point in its life a 1/8" shim was added under the bridge. This made the action super high, especially at the higher frets, which causes every note to be sharper and sharper as you go up the neck.

What kind of price would I be looking at for this to be set up? I have a few people in mind, I just want to know what is reasonable and what is getting ripped off.

Last time I had a bass set up it was 40 bucks.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Sorry to clutter the thread with 'sale' stuff, but this is very bass related so I figured I'd post it here!

I'm selling my EBS Unichorus Bass Effect pedal in SA-Mart... I currently have it listed for $130, originally had it up for $140... and I'll drop it down to $120 if any of you folks are interested. Really need some money now and I have to get rid of some of my gear :(

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3274803

Thanks!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

So I just purchased a new bass - a Fender Jazz Aerodyne (made in Japan) in black. I wasnt actually looking for a new bass but I saw this one on ebay, it was left handed, and only slightly more expensive than buying a MIM jazz locally, so I thought why the hell not. the MIM jazz never really caught my fancy, and the Aerodyne comes with P bass pups and is a basswood body, which should gel more nicely with my bands tone. On top of that Ive always liked the sound of a P bass, but never liked the look of them. It was a tough choice between black and white, but I went with black because now our whole band has at least one colorful guitar and one black guitar. Apparently a bad rear end bridge and some quarter pounders will get it sounding amazing, but Im not big/schooled on bass mods, so if someone wants to fill me in, Im all ears.

Anyway its on its way from Japan to Australia, so in the mean time, if anyone has one, post up pictures and tell me all about it!

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Nice bass! You're going to love it!

I have a Fender Precision Aerodyne, which is exactly the same bass but with a flame maple top and a Precision shaped body, same basswood body, neck and pups. It's going to sound pretty awesome stock! The only real mod I've done for mine is putting a 27pfd orange drop type capacitor on the tone control, which was worth the $2 and 15 minutes of time taken to do so. Other than that I put a black pick guard and abalone topped knobs on it, because I'm a sucker for black on maple.

The radius body contour is pretty comfy, and the entire bass is super light because of the basswood body.

edit: holy broken tables, poo poo how do I get rid or thumbnail this attachment?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Doomy fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 7, 2010

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Put a t in front of the img in [img].

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
hey guys, I'm looking for some specific advice. I just picked up a new bass speaker and the dust cover I believe its called (the dome like thing that is in the very middle) is slightly dented. I think this may affect its sound, and I would like to try and get it undented. I was told I could take a really small pin and pop it in and pop the dent out, but I fear that may potentially damage the speaker. I dont see a rear entrance into the speaker cone or I would do that too.

Is there anything I can use that could suck the sent out? like some kind of device to pop the dent out?

thanks

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Some PDR guys (paintless dent removal) use ice cubes, but I'm unsure how to get it de-dented.

On one of my cabinets, a JBL 220W speaker sits with an aluminum ding in the middle. It doesn't effect sound, but it always irks me because of the look and the questions I get. It happened when a buddy of mine said, "hey, does this get dinged when you thump it with your finger?" Without a moment to breathe, *thump* Yea, he proved himself right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrChu
May 14, 2002

As long as the cone is ok it shouldn't really affect sound in a noticeable way, the dust cap covers the magnet and shouldn't move on its own. I wouldn't poke a hole in to try to pop it up, because it is a dust cap and designed to keep dust out. You could try putting some tape on the dented area and carefully pull it up