Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Parachute Underwear posted:

Have you tried just going through the My Videos folder on the 360's dashboard? I never use the Media Center on it.

Yeah absolutely. The Media Center on it blows. Maybe I'll just uninstall all the codecs I have and start fresh. I've been trying everything for months trying to get it working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

GreenNight posted:

Yeah absolutely. The Media Center on it blows. Maybe I'll just uninstall all the codecs I have and start fresh. I've been trying everything for months trying to get it working.

That's weird if they don't show up. I think if you're running x64 you may need to install Shark007's drivers for x64 over top the x32 ones.

e: just googled and if that still doesn't work, apparently you can use tsMuxer to take your .mkv files and convert them to .m2ts files, which the 360 supposedly reads just fine. It's just a different container. I haven't tried this though, but Shark's codecs should enough.

Crumbletron fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 27, 2010

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

GreenNight posted:

Anyone have any luck using this:

http://www.divx.com/en/windows-7

To stream mkv files to your 360? I can't get it to work for the life of me.

I've had surprisingly good luck with PS3MediaServer. Like the name implies, it was designed to be used with the PS3, but it'll play MKV files on the 360 with as little transcoding as possible -- for example, if the MKV is H.264 video and AC3 5.1 channel audio (like most are nowdays), it'll remux the audio to AC3 stereo while leaving the video untouched.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

clockworkjoe posted:

I've found something weird - there is an account unknown listed as the owner for all the files on my extra hard drive. How do I get rid of this account and set my account as the owner?

I had this happen when I installed 7 while keeping several disks as is. I don't remember the exact steps, but you have to go into the drive's security tab and force yourself, or everyone, or whatever accounts you need, to have full access\ownership, and apply it recursively to all child files and folders. It's more unintuitive than the controls portray, it took me 3 tries to get it right. Try changing permissions on a small folder hierarchy first until you're sure you have right procedure down, because it can take a bit of time to be applied through an entire drive.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Splinter posted:

Any disadvantage to installing the Activation update that was released earlier this week if I have a genuine copy of 7 (any performance hit or unnecessary service that's run as a result)?

I haven't noticed anything, I don't have a slow computer though.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

clockworkjoe posted:

I've found something weird - there is an account unknown listed as the owner for all the files on my extra hard drive. How do I get rid of this account and set my account as the owner?
That's your account from the previous OS, you need to take ownership properly. In the security tab of the drive's properties press Advanced, then go to the Owner tab. You should see Unknown {blahblahblah} so click Edit, then highlight your name and with the "subcontainers and objects" option checked press OK. It will throw a fit and a few confirmations at you, but after that you should be set.

Splinter posted:

Any disadvantage to installing the Activation update that was released earlier this week if I have a genuine copy of 7 (any performance hit or unnecessary service that's run as a result)?
No, but there's no specific advantage to doing it either. I don't see why MS would make something like that optional to begin with, kind of defeats the purpose.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Don't know if this is the right thread or not, But how do I enable DirectX-9 acceleration for games on Windows 7? Would that be just enabling the game for compatibility mode, or is there more then just that?

I just recently got Windows 7.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Imapanda posted:

Don't know if this is the right thread or not, But how do I enable DirectX-9 acceleration for games on Windows 7? Would that be just enabling the game for compatibility mode, or is there more then just that?

I just recently got Windows 7.

You don't have to enable it.

If the game uses DX9, and your video card supports DX9...then it will use DX9.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

Thermopyle posted:

You don't have to enable it.

If the game uses DX9, and your video card supports DX9...then it will use DX9.

The game is Crysis. I did a little google search and it seems this guy on toms hardware had the same issue and that 'enabling directx 9' increased framerate by a lot. I remember back then when I had Windows XP the FPS was beyond comfortable, but ever since getting Windows 7 games have been really choppy.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Imapanda posted:

The game is Crysis. I did a little google search and it seems this guy on toms hardware had the same issue and that 'enabling directx 9' increased framerate by a lot. I remember back then when I had Windows XP the FPS was beyond comfortable, but ever since getting Windows 7 games have been really choppy.

Unless there's an option in the graphics/video menu of the game that says "Enable DirectX9 support" then it uses DX9 or it doesn't. A few games have that option, but there's nothing in windows that you need to set.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

subx posted:

Unless there's an option in the graphics/video menu of the game that says "Enable DirectX9 support" then it uses DX9 or it doesn't. A few games have that option, but there's nothing in windows that you need to set.
This is correct, the setting would be within the game as Windows 7 supports both APIs. Also, if you read that thread you linked a bit more you'll see the problem wasn't actually DX10 but some bloatware he was running alongside the game.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Imapanda posted:

He's probably referring to the fact that it'll default to DX10 if you have a DX10 card and Windows Vista/7. Performance will absolutely improve if you run it in DX9 mode as opposed to DX10, but not look as good. Go to the Games Explorer and right click the icon for Crysis to choose DX9 or DX10.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver
I'm just wondering if anyone can help me return a Harddrive icon to the original icon? The provided tip about deleting didn't work. Any help at all would be appreciated.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Flyboy925 posted:

I'm just wondering if anyone can help me return a Harddrive icon to the original icon? The provided tip about deleting didn't work. Any help at all would be appreciated.

Have you already done this:

Right click the drive in Computer, go to Properties. Customize tab. In the 'Folder pictures' section, click 'Restore Default'.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

EQFiddleCastrol posted:

Also, In XP I liked to open multiple versions of windows explorer at a time from the quick launch toolbar. The "pin to system tray" method doesn't seem to allow you to open more than one instance of any program at a time. Any way around this?

The fact that pinned windows explorer defaults to "libraries" and that there doesn't seem to be an easy way of changing that to the way it worked in XP is also frustrating.

This was posted way earlier in the thread. I changed mine though I may actually switch back to libraries. I just pin the folders I specifically need anyway.

You can make the explorer icon simply go to Computer by right clicking on it in the taskbar to open it, then right click on "Windows Explorer" and go into properties.

Then under target paste :
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}

Or if you prefer documents.
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /n,::{450D8FBA-AD25-11D0-98A8-0800361B1103}

EQFiddleCastrol
Sep 19, 2002

YO YO YO -- this is a shout-out to my fellow BBB's (Big Booty Bitches). Love you Celestie and Linds :)
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

Although I will admit the library system is starting to grow on me.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.
Is there anything built into Windows 7 to trim say 5 seconds from an mp3? I though previous versions of Windows had a sound program that could do this but I can't for the life of me recall what it is.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I don't recall any sound program built into windows ever having that much functionality, but Audacity is a decent and free sound editing program.

edit: Can someone explain to me exactly what the deal is with Divx and H.264 on Windows 7? Bearing in mind I don't fully understand about codecs and containers and splitters and things. Everything seems to suggest that W7 should support this out of the box, except the DivX website linked a few posts ago, which seems to categorically state that it doesn't. Most of my videos seem to play fine but I do have the odd .divx file which doesn't seem to want to open. I just want to be able to play all my videos with the absolute minimum of extra system bloat and installed codecs and things. Also if at all possible I'd like to be able to play QuickTime and RealVideo without having to actually install the official versions of either of those things, if possible.

chippy fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 27, 2010

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
So I'm finally getting around to installing a full version of Win7 now that the RC is expiring. When I do a clean install it will still shove everything into a windows.old folder right? I don't have to do a full reformat?

Traxxus
Jul 13, 2003

WWJD - What Would Jack Do?

astr0man posted:

So I'm finally getting around to installing a full version of Win7 now that the RC is expiring. When I do a clean install it will still shove everything into a windows.old folder right? I don't have to do a full reformat?

Yes it will save your stuff in windows.old. I just did this a month or so ago.

sugabe
Dec 5, 2007
I'm trying to share a folder, but it keeps asking the other computers for a username and "Network Password", even though I turned this off in the control panel.

Any guesses?

sugabe fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 27, 2010

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

chippy posted:

edit: Can someone explain to me exactly what the deal is with Divx and H.264 on Windows 7? Bearing in mind I don't fully understand about codecs and containers and splitters and things. Everything seems to suggest that W7 should support this out of the box, except the DivX website linked a few posts ago, which seems to categorically state that it doesn't. Most of my videos seem to play fine but I do have the odd .divx file which doesn't seem to want to open. I just want to be able to play all my videos with the absolute minimum of extra system bloat and installed codecs and things. Also if at all possible I'd like to be able to play QuickTime and RealVideo without having to actually install the official versions of either of those things, if possible.

You should probably install Shark007's codec pack. I used to have a few videos that didn't open, but Shark's codecs are really behind-the-scenes and let pretty much any video file you could encounter be opened within Windows Media Player. I'm not sure about QuickTime/RealVIdeo movies, but I think so. All you have to do is install the regular codec pack, and then his x64 pack over top of it if you're running a 64 bit OS. Also, I'm pretty sure Shark007 is or is made by a goon.

http://shark007.net/index.html

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Is there a way to buy and install Windows 7 digitally? The disc drive on my laptop won't read discs for some reason.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 27, 2010

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

sugabe posted:

I'm trying to share a folder, but it keeps asking the other computers for a username and "Network Password", even though I turned this off in the control panel.

Any guesses?

edit: not sure if you mean this when you say you disabled it in the control panel.

205b
Mar 25, 2007

sugabe posted:

Any guesses?

If you already chose the radio button pictured above, try entering "Guest" for the username with no password.

sugabe
Dec 5, 2007

ninepints posted:

If you already chose the radio button pictured above, try entering "Guest" for the username with no password.

This worked, thank you!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

IntoTheNihil posted:

Is there a way to buy and install Windows 7 digitally? The disc drive on my laptop won't read discs for some reason.

As has been mentioned recently in this thread, you can buy and download the ISO. Mount the ISO with d-tools or whatever. Then you can use a flash drive to install the OS. Instructions: http://kmwoley.com/blog/?p=345

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

IntoTheNihil posted:

You mean with a usb drive? It's pretty easy actually.

Format your usb drive as NTFS.

Extract the iso to the drive.

Run "bootsect.exe /NT60 H:" (this is a program that'll be inside of the folders you just extracted, inside of Boot, I think. Replace H: with the drive letter of your flash drive.

And after that you should be able to boot from your usb driven and install windows from it.

You can also give this tool a try if you want an even easier way http://store.microsoft.com/Help/ISO-Tool .

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Swilo posted:

That's your account from the previous OS, you need to take ownership properly. In the security tab of the drive's properties press Advanced, then go to the Owner tab. You should see Unknown {blahblahblah} so click Edit, then highlight your name and with the "subcontainers and objects" option checked press OK. It will throw a fit and a few confirmations at you, but after that you should be set.

No, but there's no specific advantage to doing it either. I don't see why MS would make something like that optional to begin with, kind of defeats the purpose.

worked perfectly! Thanks!

JonTheDon
Sep 16, 2005
I've just bought two identical Acer Revo PC's - both same hardware, both are pre-activated with the standard OEM Acer Windows 7 key, etc.

Basically I want to customise one, and then clone it to the other, which should be no problem to do. My question is: because the machines will then effectively be identical in every way, do I need to run anything on one of them to give it some sort of different system identifier from the other? Thanks for any advice.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

JonTheDon posted:

I've just bought two identical Acer Revo PC's - both same hardware, both are pre-activated with the standard OEM Acer Windows 7 key, etc.

Basically I want to customise one, and then clone it to the other, which should be no problem to do. My question is: because the machines will then effectively be identical in every way, do I need to run anything on one of them to give it some sort of different system identifier from the other? Thanks for any advice.

If one of them complains, just reactivate using the key on the bottom of the laptop.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

IntoTheNihil posted:

Joe Don Baker posted:

As has been mentioned recently in this thread, you can buy and download the ISO. Mount the ISO with d-tools or whatever. Then you can use a flash drive to install the OS. Instructions: http://kmwoley.com/blog/?p=345

You an also just mount the ISO and install from there. You don't actually need the disk once you've started the process, it puts all the files it needs on the hard drive you're installing to. I upgraded at least once during the beta/RC period like that.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Echophonic posted:

You an also just mount the ISO and install from there. You don't actually need the disk once you've started the process, it puts all the files it needs on the hard drive you're installing to. I upgraded at least once during the beta/RC period like that.

Wouldn't that only work during an upgrade install?

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Is there an easy way to unpin icons that reference something that doesn't exist? I uninstalled a program and now there's a zombie icon on my taskbar that does nothing when I right or left click on it.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Welp, I work in IT and have discovered the greatest thing ever.

Start->run->psr.exe

Problem steps recorder takes a screenshot of every action a user takes, sticks it in a nice little timeline, and zips it up.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

My mouse pointer just got all hosed. It's recursive of the top 1/8th, about 8 times vertically. It changes into other crap when I mouse over stuff. And now it is fixing itself, but looks like what gets printed when one of your inkjet heads is clogged.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Joe Don Baker posted:

Wouldn't that only work during an upgrade install?

I think I did a clean install from the Beta to the RC using Virtual Clone Drive. It's been a while, so I could easily be wrong. I mean, it doesn't access the disc after the initial setup from what I could tell on the installs I've done.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

XK posted:

My mouse pointer just got all hosed. It's recursive of the top 1/8th, about 8 times vertically. It changes into other crap when I mouse over stuff. And now it is fixing itself, but looks like what gets printed when one of your inkjet heads is clogged.

What the gently caress are you running Win7 on, a microwave? You are experiencing problems that nobody else seems to at all.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Fart Amplifier posted:

Welp, I work in IT and have discovered the greatest thing ever.

Start->run->psr.exe

Problem steps recorder takes a screenshot of every action a user takes, sticks it in a nice little timeline, and zips it up.

I found this in god mode. Why the gently caress did microsoft bury this wonderful, wonderful feature?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Unexpected EOF posted:

What the gently caress are you running Win7 on, a microwave? You are experiencing problems that nobody else seems to at all.

Edit: Oops, actually, that should've been in the ATI thread, which is where I thought I was. I made the same mistake with this post. My defense is the cursor distracted me.

XK fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 28, 2010