Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oceanside
Nov 4, 2009

FitFortDanga posted:

So, are you looking for films from France, or any French language films, or anything European at all?

4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days
Distant (Uzak)
The Death of Mr. Lazarescu
12:08 East of Bucharest
I Even Met Happy Gypsies
(especially if you like Kusturica)
Before the Rain
Eternity and a Day

I'm looking for any European films, in any language.

Thanks a lot for the recommendations!
I'm sure there was a thread about French film specifically a while back. I had a look 20 pages back in the archives for 2009 but had no look. So if anyone has that bookmarked it would be awesome if you could give me the link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

oceanside posted:

I'm looking for any European films, in any language.

Thanks a lot for the recommendations!
I'm sure there was a thread about French film specifically a while back. I had a look 20 pages back in the archives for 2009 but had no look. So if anyone has that bookmarked it would be awesome if you could give me the link.

I can't recall a thread about French films in general. There might have been a French New Wave thread, but of course that wouldn't cover 2000-present.

So, ANY European films from the past 10 years, huh?

Werckmeister Harmonies
The Bothersome Man
Innocence
Songs from the Second Floor
Saraband
The Man from London
Talk to Her
A Very Long Engagement
L'Enfant
The Man Without a Past
Bad Education
In the Mood for Love
Revanche
The Consequences of Love
Fat Girl
The Counterfeiters
The Inheritance
The Tunnel
Volver

I excluded UK films, assuming you'd probably be familiar with most of them. Also left off some of the more obvious ones like Amelie and Downfall.

Pickpocket
Dec 16, 2005

Zomodok posted:

See that's the thing, she's actually seen alien before and considers it a "tense action movie" :psyduck:

But I just don't see how American Psycho is a horror movie. I remember it being a lot more, not-horrifying. But then again it's been awhile since I've seen it :shobon:

Thanks for the suggestions :]

Also yeah northerain, the movies are all in a different genre, there's no theme for the night :)

American Psycho gets labeled horror cause it's about a serial killer. That's just a simplistic and lazy oversimplification - it's a black comedy. It's even better after you read the book too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwicLgOGJOI

northerain
Apr 8, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Recommend me some sci fi horror or anything like that.
I've seen and liked:

Pandorum
Event Horizon
Alien (all of them)
Sunshine

I don't much care for any of the Alien vs Predator movies.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I'm not really sure what kind of film I'm looking for, but something along the lines of the last ten minutes or so of Network. I also recently watched The Osterman Weekend, which was pretty much perfect for what I want but I want more (and a bit faster paced.) Preferably set in the kind of landscapes seen in Mad Max, Get Carter or The Chase. Quite bleak.

Basically some kind of post-apocalyptic espionage thriller where the sex and violence is cut and spliced so that it seems almost senseless.

justcola fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 26, 2010

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.

justcola posted:

I'm not really sure what kind of film I'm looking for, but something along the lines of the last ten minutes or so of Network. I also recently watched The Osterman Weekend, which was pretty much perfect for what I want but I want more (and a bit faster paced.) Preferably set in the kind of landscapes seen in Mad Max, Get Carter or The Chase. Quite bleak.

Basically some kind of post-apocalyptic espionage thriller where the sex and violence is cut and spliced so that it seems almost senseless.

The original Death Race 2000, maybe? It has the bizarre outlook on the future with sex and violence mixing together in an orgy of nonsense.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

justcola posted:

Videodrome, maybe? Or A Boy and His Dog.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I've seen and liked those. I'm not sure. I'm more interested in the concept of showing death or sex in a way that couldn't be shown in reality and also that it doesn't relate to the plot much. At the moment I'm not to interested in a narrative or for events to follow in a linear fashion, more of an audio/visual rubix cube type of film. Other films which have elements of what I want are Repo Man, Robocop, Body Double, The Machinist, Tetsuo, most Cronenburg films. Not as much the body horror aspect but the general apathy and shallowness of both the characters and the surroundings. Films I'm considering watching are Peeping Tom and Sliver (not slither) but, whatever man.

quote:

I've seen and liked:

Pandorum
Event Horizon
Alien (all of them)
Sunshine

Moon
The Thing
Pitch Black
The Abyss (deep sea is like space maybe)

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008

timeandtide posted:

What some great documentaries on sociological, philosophical, or politically related topics? I've seen the whole Power of Nightmares/Century of the Self/The Trap trilogy, Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Prices, Trinity & Beyond, and I think that's about it.

I know it's a broad range of topics, but I've seen very few documentaries so I'd like to change that

Welp, I know this replay is well after the fact, but I'm going to recommend Shake Hands With the Devil: The Journey of Romeo Dallaire (2004).

"If Terry George's wrenching film Hotel Rwanda and Raoul Peck's HBO movie Sometimes in April have already put a tragic human face on a catastrophe that the American mass media barely acknowledged while it was happening, Shake Hands With the Devil ratifies their horrifying visions. General Dallaire's descriptions of the sights, sounds, and smells of human butchery, as well as the movie's images of piles of dead bodies, severed limbs and rooms of skulls, are grimmer than anything seen in those films...Beyond apportioning blame, Shake Hands With the Devil acknowledges that the capacity for evil is a human component. Under certain conditions, entire populations can lose their humanity and go berserk. With madness all around him, General Dallaire maintained his humanity and (just barely) his sanity."

Unrelated poo poo I recommend:

For the Attenborough fanboys, check out Microcosmos (1996). It's basically a bunch of bugs doing human-like things to pretty music.

Das Experiment (2001) is an adaptation of a novel that extrapolates the result of the Stanford Prison Experiment, if it hadn't been shut down.

edit:

Herr Roboto posted:

Recommend me movies like Conan the Barbarian. Basically someone with a sword loving poo poo up. Preferably in a fantasy setting.

Mongol (2007) Genghis Khan :black101: trailer

If that's not enough Genghis, the second of the trilogy, The Great Khan, should be out this year. And there's By The Will of Genghis Khan, which is 2009, I think. Haven't watched that yet. trailer

Hellwuzzat fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 27, 2010

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

oceanside posted:

I'm going to be extremely vague here, because I'm not looking for anything specific within this criteria. I considered making a new thread since it's such a lot to cover (have there been previous ones?) but I'm looking for your guys recommendations of modern European films. This is kind of a two-tier request.

I've been very interested in French films made since 2000 (A Prophet, Cache, Mesrine: Part 1 - Death Instinct) and I've seen a few others from Germany, The Netherlands and Sweden. I'm looking for films in the action, drama, thriller or crime genres. Anything you think is worth checking out.

You might have seen some of these, but here's some European films I enjoyed over the past few years (including UK films, but they have more in common with current European trends than American output).

The Lives Of Others (2006, Germany) - Affecting Cold War-era tale of a ruthlessly loyal Stasi agent, wiretapper and interrogator Gerd Wiesler (the late Ulrich Mühe) who is tasked with digging up dirt on an East German playwright, Georg Dreyman; a job actually issued by a cynical government minister who has designs on Dreyman's actress lover. Wiesler's investigations into the supposed subversives only uncover his targets' passion for art, love, and humanistic ideals, through which he begins living vicariously, even as pressure mounts to produce implicating evidence.

Gomorra (2008, Italy) - Based on Roberto Saviano's written expose of the Camorra, the urban, Neapolitan equivalent of the Mafia. Rather than telling one particular narrative, it's an extremely stark and naturalistic presentation of how the lives of various characters intersect with the sheer scope and scale of violence, corruption and influence the Camorra carries over modern-day Naples.

The Consequences Of Love (2004, Italy) - From the talented director Paolo Sorrentino, it's a highly stylised story of an Italian businessman (played by the brilliant Toni Servillo) living an impeccably reserved life in a Swiss hotel through his somewhat shady business connections, until a series of intrusive personal and professional encounters begin to unravel him emotionally.

Il Divo: The Spectacular Life Of Giulio Andreotti (2008, Italy) - Sorrentino's next film, a character study of multi-term Italian prime minister Giulio Andreotti (Servillo again). Although he's little-known outside of Italy, as a political legend Andreotti is a match for Henry Kissinger or Margaret Thatcher; a centre-rightist respected as a witty and unflappable Cold War warrior in some quarters, loathed as a sinister, cruel grotesque in others, actually liked as a person by far fewer. The film deals primarily with the early 90s when Andreotti's efforts to win the Presidency are poorly timed to coincide with a titanic public and judicial backlash against collusion between Italian officials and the Mafia, aka. the Mani Pulite or "clean hands" era, which threaten to tie him to some extremely serious crimes of the past. Sorrentino has a lot of darkly comic fun with this story but I'd still recommend familiarising yourself with the historical context beforehand, as it's really aimed at Italian audiences.

Hunger (2008, UK) - Directorial debut of Steve McQueen (the Afro-British artist, obviously) which follows the 80s-era resistance efforts of Republican paramilitaries held in the notorious Maze prison of Northern Ireland, which was home to a perpetual and brutal standoff between guards and uncooperative inmates. The film is centred around Bobby Sands (Michael Fassbender), the IRA prisoner who escalated protests for political recognition into a coordinated hunger strike and became a martyr to Irish republicans. McQueen is obviously fascinated with the imagery of the protests but also sketches in some of the larger context, best of all in an extended one-take debate between Sands and his priest over the morality, intent and consequences of the strike they both expect to claim his life.

Bronson (2008, UK) - Actually from a Danish director, Nicholas Winding Refn. Bizarre tale of another notorious inmate of the British prison system, Michael Peterson aka. "Charles Bronson" (an absurdly ripped Tom Hardy), a convicted petty criminal who was sentenced to 7 years and ended up with a life sentence, most of which he has spent in solitary confinement. Here a semi-fictionalised Bronson narrates his own story and contemplates his twin interests in art and acts of random, spontaneous physical violence, which unfortunately for the frustrated prison authorities he doesn't really view as competing avenues for self-development. Although this film takes most of its visual cues from A Clockwork Orange you can't expect anything quite as satisfying here, but this is an entertaining production that highlights a uniquely inexplicable case.

Other stuff: Mesrine obviously has a slightly more bloated Part 2 (and a slightly more bloated Jacques Mesrine) that follows how Mesrine deals with his Public Enemy Number One status, but I expect you're aware of it. I can't actually recommend The Baader-Meinhof Complex very much as I found it the structure and pacing completely broke down by the second half. Cult Swedish vampire movie Let The Right One In has been recommended strongly to me and I even own it but to my shame I haven't actually watched it yet. If I do soon I will doubtlessly edit it in.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

FitFortDanga posted:

So, ANY European films from the past 10 years, huh?

In the Mood for Love

I accept that Russia is somehow considered European, but I don't think even the most liberal of interpretations can place Hong Kong in Europe ;)

That said, Wong Kar Wai's entire catalog should be mandatory watching for anyone who likes movies.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

regulargonzalez posted:

I accept that Russia is somehow considered European, but I don't think even the most liberal of interpretations can place Hong Kong in Europe ;)

That said, Wong Kar Wai's entire catalog should be mandatory watching for anyone who likes movies.

Ha ha, whoops. Wasn't thinking there, those slipped in when I did my Criticker filter by country. Probably French financing or something.

xThrasheRx
Jul 12, 2005

Surrealistic
I am looking for movies that has that dreamlike feeling,

some examples are:

Mulholland Drive
Dune
The Fountain
Donnie Darko
Blade Runner
Apocalypse Now

there are probably a lot more examples that I have seen but I would appreciate tips to these kind of movies :)

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

xThrasheRx posted:

some examples are:

Mulholland Drive
Dune
The Fountain
Donnie Darko
Blade Runner
Apocalypse Now

there are probably a lot more examples that I have seen but I would appreciate tips to these kind of movies :)

Dreamlike is pretty vague, but fortunately for you there are recommendation websites that are equally vague: http://www.allmovie.com/explore/tone/dreamlike-1304

northerain
Apr 8, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

justcola posted:

I've seen and liked those. I'm not sure. I'm more interested in the concept of showing death or sex in a way that couldn't be shown in reality and also that it doesn't relate to the plot much. At the moment I'm not to interested in a narrative or for events to follow in a linear fashion, more of an audio/visual rubix cube type of film. Other films which have elements of what I want are Repo Man, Robocop, Body Double, The Machinist, Tetsuo, most Cronenburg films. Not as much the body horror aspect but the general apathy and shallowness of both the characters and the surroundings. Films I'm considering watching are Peeping Tom and Sliver (not slither) but, whatever man.

Moon
The Thing
Pitch Black
The Abyss (deep sea is like space maybe)

I've seen all of these. Anything else?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

Dreamlike is pretty vague, but fortunately for you there are recommendation websites that are equally vague: http://www.allmovie.com/explore/tone/dreamlike-1304

This is an aside, but where did you find the dreamlike filter on that site? I couldn't the tone section.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

xThrasheRx posted:

some examples are:

Mulholland Drive
Dune
The Fountain
Donnie Darko
Blade Runner
Apocalypse Now

Try more David Lynch: Lost Highway (my favorite), Inland Empire (which I couldn't get into), and the Twin Peaks series and movie, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me. The movie is a prequel, but I think it resonates more if watched after the series, since it came out afterwards. However, I think it stands okay on its own, too.

Also give eXistenZ a shot, a very weird David Cronenberg movie. I always thought it belonged in a film festival with Dark City, The 13th Floor, and a little movie called The Matrix, as all four share some similar themes. On that note, Dark City has everything you want and more. It's one of my all-time favorite movies.

John Jhonson
Sep 20, 2008

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Also give eXistenZ a shot, a very weird David Cronenberg movie. I always thought it belonged in a film festival with Dark City, The 13th Floor, and a little movie called The Matrix, as all four share some similar themes. On that note, Dark City has everything you want and more. It's one of my all-time favorite movies.

Videodrome might be a good one to consider as well, and I'll second Dark City.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

xThrasheRx posted:

some examples are:

Mulholland Drive
Dune
The Fountain
Donnie Darko
Blade Runner
Apocalypse Now

Having just watched Punch-Drunk Love, I found it to be akin to a fever dream. Check it out.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

xThrasheRx posted:

some examples are:

Mulholland Drive
Dune
The Fountain
Donnie Darko
Blade Runner
Apocalypse Now

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind is a surreal spy thriller. I love surreal flicks like the ones you mentions and I love spy flicks. Give it a go.

EDIT: Oh and The Life Aquatic is somewhat surreal

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Mar 1, 2010

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

xThrasheRx posted:

some examples are:

Mulholland Drive
Dune
The Fountain
Donnie Darko
Blade Runner
Apocalypse Now

Where The Wild Things Are. It's coming out this week on DVD/Blu-Ray. It isn't "dreamlike" in the sense that a David Lynch film is dreamlike; it's more the logic of the characters and the scenarios. Don't let the ads fool you; it's a very different film than it seems to be.

And speaking of David Lynch, go ahead and see Blue Velvet and Eraserhead if you haven't already.

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.

xThrasheRx posted:

You can't go wrong with Time Bandits. And I don't care for it, but Vanilla Sky should fit the criteria.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

So many movies can be said to have a "dreamlike" atmosphere that it's pretty hard to narrow down. But I'll throw some out there that I like, probably forgetting dozens of others:

The Bothersome Man
The Trial
Dreams That Money Can Buy
Ten Nights of Dreams
Dreams
(Akira Kurosawa)
Un Chien Andalou
L'Age d'Or
3 Women
8 1/2
Blue Velvet
Eraserhead
Inland Empire
Cat Soup
Mind Game
Hausu
Werckmeister Harmonies
Satantango
Damnation
Woman in the Dunes
Even Dwarfs Started Small
Songs from the Second Floor
You, the Living
Stalker
The Mirror
Delicatessen
The Beautiful Washing Machine
Kwaidan
The Saragossa Manuscript
Persona
The Silence
Santa Sangre
El Topo
Valerie and her Week of Wonders

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 1, 2010

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

justcola posted:

Only thing I can think of is Hardware http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099740/

Soviet Stranger
May 5, 2008
LENIN PREDICTED THIS POST ->

xThrasheRx posted:

some examples are:

Mulholland Drive
Dune
The Fountain
Donnie Darko
Blade Runner
Apocalypse Now

Brazil a million times over, hands down one of the weirdest movies I have ever seen. I wouldn't feel wrong advising 12 Monkeys as well but the "dream" sequences are pretty grounded considering their implications in the wider story.

IceNiner
Jun 11, 2008

Butthole Prince posted:

You can't go wrong with Time Bandits. And I don't care for it, but Vanilla Sky should fit the criteria.

Ignore Vanilla Sky and go with the Spanish original Abres los Ojos instead. Also, if its still playing in the theaters in your area, The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Any suggestions for movies that will make me physically cringe? I'm checking out movies that push the limits, and I'm not really sure where to begin.
Movies I've seen that fit what I'm talking about :
Ichi The Killer
Audition
Irreversible (This one was a bit too much.)
Funny Games
Takashi Miike's Imprint (Episode of Masters of Horror)
I'm not looking for torture porn type of movies, but I guess these might be dancing the line a bit.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Cowman posted:

Any suggestions for movies that will make me physically cringe? I'm checking out movies that push the limits, and I'm not really sure where to begin.
Ichi The Killer
Audition
Funny Games
I'm not looking for torture porn type of movies, but I guess these might be dancing the line a bit.

You don't mention Oldboy, so maybe you have not seen it? It's cringe worthy on a couple levels but man, it is a great loving movie.

Silver Newt
Jun 8, 2007

Happiness is being famous for your financial ability to indulge in every kind of excess.

Cowman posted:

Ichi The Killer
Audition
Funny Games

Martyrs or Inside (both French horror) fit that bill.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Cowman posted:

Ichi The Killer
Audition
Funny Games

Antichrist

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Cowman posted:

Any suggestions for movies that will make me physically cringe?
I think that we actually haven't had a "what's the most disturbing movie ever?" thread in a few months, so:

Anti-Christ
Salo
Martyrs
The Girl Next Door - akin to "Funny Games"
Inside - especially if you're pregnant
Nekromantik - often freaks people out, but can be hard to find
I Spit On Your Grave - is a mean spirited and hard to watch film (go figure)

Also you specifically said that you didn't want "torture porn" (hate that term) but if you want to see how mundane some of the films from that sub-genre actually are when you get past the hype, check out the August Underground series (you'll certainly never cringe at a "Saw" film again to be sure). Those films are visceral.

A lot of people are revolted by Italian cannibal films too, like Cannibal Holocaust or Cannibal Ferox. One of the primary reasons for being revolted by these films is that they contain actual animal cruelty in them, so please be cautious about watching these ones (or watch the Grindhouse Releasing edition of CH that includes a cut without those scenes).

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 3, 2010

Silver Newt
Jun 8, 2007

Happiness is being famous for your financial ability to indulge in every kind of excess.

InfiniteZero posted:

Oh yeah, forgot about that one - it's loving horrific. I watched it with my girlfriend (that was a good choice for a Friday night) but we had to stop it until we checked wikipedia to make sure what we were watching was just the twisted result of the author's mind and not actually based on fact. Unfortunately the bulk of it is true.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Silver Newt posted:

Oh yeah, forgot about that one - it's loving horrific.

Bonus points for the fact that somebody might mistake it for a silly Elisha Cuthbert PG13 sex comedy and end up with this instead. I could only imagine the shock.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

InfiniteZero posted:

I think that we actually haven't had a "what's the most disturbing movie ever?" thread in a few months, so:

Anti-Christ
Salo
Martyrs
Inside - especially if you're pregnant
Nekromantik - often freaks people out, but can be hard to find
I Spit On Your Grave - is a mean spirited and hard to watch film (go figure)

Also you specifically said that you didn't want "torture porn" (hate that term) but if you want to see how mundane some of the films from that sub-genre actually are when you get past the hype, check out the August Underground series (you'll certainly never cringe at a "Saw" film again to be sure). Those films are visceral.

A lot of people are revolted by Italian cannibal films too, like Cannibal Holocaust or Cannibal Ferox. One of the primary reasons for being revolted by these films is that they contain actual animal cruelty in them, so please be cautious about watching these ones (or watch the Grindhouse Releasing edition of CH that includes a cut without those scenes).

Thanks for the suggestions. Torture porn is really the only term I've heard used for movies that are basically nonstop torture and glorifies it. Although I've never actually watched it, I've heard Hostel, or the Saw series, described as that. I'll definitely hunt those movies down and check them out. I'm looking more for movies that scare the hell out of you and are rather extreme and gruesome. I hope this makes sense, I'm not sure exactly how to describe it since, like I said, I'm just getting into these types of films.

Edit: I've also had Oldboy recommended by a friend of mine. I'm definitely gonna try and borrow that from him next time I see him.

Edit 2: I've been looking these up on Wikipedia. Christ man, you really just went for the most extreme. I'm gonna track them down, but man, you guys don't mess around. Thanks.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 6, 2010

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

northerain posted:

I've seen and liked:

Pandorum
Event Horizon
Alien (all of them)
Sunshine

I don't much care for any of the Alien vs Predator movies.

xThrasheRx posted:

some examples are:

Mulholland Drive
Dune
The Fountain
Donnie Darko
Blade Runner
Apocalypse Now

Paranoia 1.0
trailer

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
Can y'all suggest some films with a broody, quiet, badass male lead that's legitimately cool and/or engaging and not like Vin Diesel or some vampire anime fag. Something like Michael Corelone from The Godfather, or to a somewhat lesser extent, Nikolai from Eastern Promises. Any genre will do, but some sort of action, thriller, crime drama, or anything else lending itself to tense moments would be great.

Pickpocket
Dec 16, 2005

Mung Dynasty posted:

Can y'all suggest some films with a broody, quiet, badass male lead that's legitimately cool and/or engaging and not like Vin Diesel or some vampire anime fag. Something like Michael Corelone from The Godfather, or to a somewhat lesser extent, Nikolai from Eastern Promises. Any genre will do, but some sort of action, thriller, crime drama, or anything else lending itself to tense moments would be great.

Le samouraï

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Pickpocket posted:

Le samouraï

Came here to post exactly that.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Mung Dynasty posted:

Murder By Contract
The Bad Sleep Well
Yojimbo/Sanjuro
A Fistful of Dollars/For a Few Dollars More/The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
The Night of the Hunter
Touchez pas au grisbi
Sonatine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
Picked up Le Samouraï this evening. Hopeully I'll get a chance to watch it this week. Will hunt down the others, too. It seems like a lot of these sorts of characters - with the exception of my Eastern Promises example - are found more in the earlier years of cinema. There's something really swell about a character that's cold and hardcore but makes you hang on their every word in hopes of some glimmer of humanity. Did people forget how to do this or did it just go out of style? If there's some recent examples, I'd like to peep them as well.

• Locked thread