Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Z3n posted:

God that last picture is great.

Are you still running studded tires?

Yep, won't take those off until I think the roads will stay clear. Another month should do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Alaska Shmalaska...all I needed was to get my new tires on and all of the sudden this storm. Weather.com always has the dumbest warnings: SNOW MAY BE EXTREMELY HEAVY AND DIFFICULT TO SHOVEL. IF YOU VENTURE OUT TO SHOVEL, DEATH. The last one was something about not realizing the PERIL OF TRAVELING IN A BLIZZARD because we don't get many here.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Gnomad posted:

This is how a little winter holiday should look like! Man, I can't wait until I get my license. :(

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Gnomad posted:

I'll bet you don't want to hear that I put 200 miles on the bike last weekend, in Alaska....

My initial reaction was one of jealousy, but then I realized it would be like WW2 prisoners in Singapore being envious of the food, clean water and comfortable climate back home. Yes I would like that for myself, but somehow it's more important that the freedom exists amongst my people - somewhere. One day, I too shall be free.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ola posted:

My initial reaction was one of jealousy, but then I realized it would be like WW2 prisoners in Singapore being envious of the food, clean water and comfortable climate back home. Yes I would like that for myself, but somehow it's more important that the freedom exists amongst my people - somewhere. One day, I too shall be free.

When I top off the oil in my bike, I'll pour a little for my snowbound homies.

Then I'll go riding.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Z3n posted:

When I top off the oil in my bike, I'll pour a little for my snowbound homies.

Then I'll go riding.

and lowside on an oil spot.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

and lowside on an oil spot...
...in the garage.

...and proceed to knock over all of your other bikes, too.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Jabs posted:

...in the garage.

...and proceed to knock over all of your other bikes, too.

...and your muffin's newly hopped up bike will be at the end of the row, and get scratched

and she will wheelie you to death.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Man you guys sure get testy when you can't ride! :haw:

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Z3n posted:

Man you guys sure get testy when you can't ride! :haw:
Know what makes it all the worse for me?

My girl is 100 miles from you for the next two months, has similar interests to your girl (including that M-endorsement thing), and you have spare bikes.

Bastard.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jabs posted:

Know what makes it all the worse for me?

My girl is 100 miles from you for the next two months, has similar interests to your girl (including that M-endorsement thing), and you have spare bikes.

Bastard.

My g/f should have sent you her e-mail, pass it on and we'd be happy to hang out or go for a ride or something :)

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Z3n posted:

My g/f should have sent you her e-mail, pass it on and we'd be happy to hang out or go for a ride or something :)

this is unrelated, but have you ever wondered what it's like to be the shaft of a v-twin?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

this is unrelated, but have you ever wondered what it's like to be the shaft of a v-twin?

You sure it's not related?

Either way, I imagine it's about equivalent to :parrot:

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Z3n posted:

You sure it's not related?

Either way, I imagine it's about equivalent to :parrot:

dude, just be cool. If you're too eager, it won't happen.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
...and so it begins. My family really didn't lecture me much when I stared riding several years ago. Actually they were very supportive because everyone of them had ridden at some point in their lives. Unfortunately their attitude has changed now that I have one of those "crotch rockets." My own mother is questioning why I want to ride something that is so obviously uncomfortable. My brother tells me that all cagers hate sportbikes and I can expect to be driven off the road constantly. If I have to hear that I'm going to get myself killed one more time I'm going to scream. Yes the r6 is faster than my other bikes but it's not like I'm huge lover of speed. I'm a darn cautious rider who does like to open it up on the straight aways, but I'm not going to start popping wheelies.

Has anyone else gone through the conversion of polite ujm rider to polite sportbiker? Is it possible or should just give up and start building my power ranger outfit?

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
give up and start building your power ranger outfit

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Well you should have a power ranger outfit anyway, really.

Also, nobody buys a sport bike to behave 100% of the time. Will you do stupid poo poo now and then? Sure! Gotta know the limits, the risks, and prepare. I mean, you don't marry a super model and then not consummate it.

Ignore the comments, or just live with them at the very least. Everyone who rides a bike has to hear it. It's all pretty well intentioned. I've learned that family isn't like CA. You can't speak reason and expect it to be received. Nobody is going to back you up and join you in defense of a rational point of view.

I have 3 cousins who are into riding and buying sport bikes and '600's are too slow' ect. Actually I have like 7 cousins who ride, but on this occasion it was over the holidays and I had 3 of them there listening intently (because I rode my Streetfighter to dinner... so I was kinda speaking in terms they could wrap their head around) and did my best over the course of 3 hours to try and instill as much sanity as I could. Did it do any good? Who knows. Probably not.

When someone tries to tell me my bike is dangerous and is going to get me killed I just say "WHAT?! I CANT HEAR YOU OVER MY CLUTCH!" and assume they are telling me I'm awesome and that there's a hair gel sale at the starbucks down the road.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Crayvex posted:

Has anyone else gone through the conversion of polite ujm rider to polite sportbiker? Is it possible or should just give up and start building my power ranger outfit?
looks like it's morphin' time

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Spiffness posted:

When someone tries to tell me my bike is dangerous and is going to get me killed I just say "WHAT?! I CANT HEAR YOU OVER MY CLUTCH!"

Just thought I'd point out that that is loving awesome, and it makes me want a Ducati now just so I can say it.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

MrZig posted:

Just thought I'd point out that that is loving awesome, and it makes me want a Ducati now just so I can say it.

Me too, I guess maybe I should have jumped when I had the chance. Oh well, guess I'll give it a couple years :(

It is starting to warm up and not snow, I can feel it coming

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MrZig posted:

The only problem is when the engine seizes 10 seconds later. That silence is awkward.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Heh, that's what you get for riding beyond the local coffee shop :smug:

Guess you should have opted for the extended warranty and maintenance package

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

The only problem is when the engine seizes 10 seconds later. That silence is awkward.

I get past that by just shouting "A-CLACKA CLACKA CLACKA!" over and over and then put-put my way into their hearts.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

I get past that by just shouting "A-CLACKA CLACKA CLACKA!" over and over and then put-put my way into their hearts.

Or you can carry a tambourine!

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhYnAeKiTq4

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Z3n posted:

Well, it's even more awkward in a Cessna at altitude.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Gnomad posted:

Better than a cessna on climb out...

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
This is a really cool thread if you haven't seen it:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=545121

My favorite type of trip report. Story is told entirely by beautiful pictures, just a few words for a caption at most.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gnomad posted:

If video games have taught me anything, his just means you point straight down until it starts back up!

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
eh:

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Nerobro posted:

Better than a cessna on climb out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVwlodvWh7w

This post makes more sense

And yes, I do know it's a DH and not a Cessna. Still, I'll bet this was awkward!

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

-Inu- posted:

looks like it's morphin' time

You guys are totally awesome. Time for me to become a regular resident of the gear thread.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I think I might want a Yamaha TDM900.
I might at least want to give one a go.
Reviews are very good, seems a good commuter as well as distance tourer, and comfortable for both riders and passengers.
That Aprilia RST 1000 Futura is tempting, unfortunately there's only like 2 for sale in the UK at the moment, and one might not even be for sale.
Not that I'm in a position to get a new bike yet... I could probably sell the Peg for near what I paid for it and buy the Futura for the same price though...

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Crayvex posted:

You guys are totally awesome. Time for me to become a regular resident of the gear thread.

You know you can't tell your family anything anyway. Might as well embrace it. :haw:

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Linedance posted:

I think I might want a Yamaha TDM900.
I might at least want to give one a go.
Reviews are very good, seems a good commuter as well as distance tourer, and comfortable for both riders and passengers.

http://www.yamaha-motor-europe.com/products/motorcycles/adventure/xt1200z-super-tenere.jsp

We'll never see this bike here in the states. We only got the TDM for a couple of years early on, the few folks I knew who had them liked them but never kept them. Most of them ended up with BMW GS's.

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009
newneough site rededesign: how do we feel?

I am sad because it lost some personality.
I am happy because it looks like it is not 1998.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
It's a little busy, but I like being able to get the individual categories with one less click.

O'riginal
Jul 6, 2004
no images allowed
Fun Shoe
Oh man, went for my first ride today on my new-to-me bike! I am so stoked, can't wait for the fricken snow to be gone (or at least for it to warm up past freezing).

Picked up my bike today, a friend went with me to trailer it back home, a fair 50-mile ride. It was too sunny to let that beautiful bike sit on a trailer, and the ice on the roads was melty, so I chose to ride it home. I just love this bike ('01 Yamaha Midnight Star), it's nice and roomy which will be great for long camping trips. I had a V-Star before this, and it just never seemed to have enough room for all my stuff.

... is it inappropriate to love an inanimate object (or to express that love)?

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.

Chairon posted:

Well gently caress. :(

Thats a Camshaft chain guide. I don't even know how that could break, but there it is. I was all set to get it running this weekend and now I have to wait for more parts.

To add onto that little gem there: I loving forgot to order a Head gasket. I could have had it running tomorrow. Tomorrow! poo poo on me and call me Susan but i'm an idiot.

And why do all the Motorcycle stores have to be closed on Sundays and Mondays anyway?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Chairon posted:

And why do all the Motorcycle stores have to be closed on Sundays and Mondays anyway?

Race on Sunday, rest on Monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Gnomad posted:

http://www.yamaha-motor-europe.com/products/motorcycles/adventure/xt1200z-super-tenere.jsp

We'll never see this bike here in the states. We only got the TDM for a couple of years early on, the few folks I knew who had them liked them but never kept them. Most of them ended up with BMW GS's.

drat, and I thought the 660 Tenere was ugly! The TDM seems more a direct upgrade for my Pegaso rather than a leap to the big trailie market where you've got GS1200s, KTMs, Stelvios, etc. Anyway it's all hypothetical, depending on if and when I start taking my girlfriend on rides.