Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Echophonic posted:

I think I did a clean install from the Beta to the RC using Virtual Clone Drive. It's been a while, so I could easily be wrong. I mean, it doesn't access the disc after the initial setup from what I could tell on the installs I've done.

Can someone confirm this, if this is true it would be a godsend. My DVD drive is burning coasters, my USB boot drive hangs with an I/O error partway through loading Windows, my real Win 7 disc is several days away in the mail, and I really need my computer to study for a mid-term Monday and essay for Wednesday :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Sloppy posted:

Can someone confirm this, if this is true it would be a godsend. My DVD drive is burning coasters, my USB boot drive hangs with an I/O error partway through loading Windows, my real Win 7 disc is several days away in the mail, and I really need my computer to study for a mid-term Monday and essay for Wednesday :suicide:

This works fine. Also you can use something like 7zip to unzip the iso into a folder and install from there.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Question. My main drive is partitioned into a 25gb Windows drive and a 200gb program drive. This was done to prevent me having to wipe all my poo poo in the event that XP needed a format. Unfortunately what that means is that Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor detects my c:\ drive as only having 2gb of free space.

Anyone know if I'll be able to tell Win7 to install on C:\ or should I just format the entire drive and start from scratch with a full 250gb C:\ drive? Once I've backed everything up with Windows Easy Transfer or whatever.

Second question. I shouldn't have any issues with extra internal harddrives, I've got another drive specifically for downloads, Win 7 should recognise that just fine yeah?

XTimmy fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Feb 28, 2010

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

XTimmy posted:

Question. My main drive is partitioned into a 25gb Windows drive and a 200gb program drive. This was done to prevent me having to wipe all my poo poo in the event that XP needed a format. Unfortunately what that means is that Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor detects my c:\ drive as only having 2gb of free space.

Anyone know if I'll be able to tell Win7 to install on C:\ or should I just format the entire drive and start from scratch with a full 250gb C:\ drive?

Uh well just the "Windows" folder on my pc is 12GB, that's not including any User folders or anything. I'm not even sure that's even enough room?

Is buying a second hard drive completely out of the question? I would think you probably need to use a bigger partition, at the very least, maybe like 80/170?

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

subx posted:

Uh well just the "Windows" folder on my pc is 12GB, that's not including any User folders or anything. I'm not even sure that's even enough room?

Is buying a second hard drive completely out of the question? I would think you probably need to use a bigger partition, at the very least, maybe like 80/170?

I moved my Documents folder to the larger partition for XP, godamn. I'm quite happy to reformat the drive and just leave it as one big wazoo I was just wondering if I could avoid that.

Secondly I'm looking to go 64bit on the OP's recommendation. But apparently my Creative X-Fi card isn't compatible anyone encountered that issue? E: Creative looks to have drivers for it. So I may be ok!

Should probably say thanks :cheers: Sorry!

XTimmy fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Feb 28, 2010

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

XTimmy posted:

I moved my Documents folder to the larger partition for XP, godamn. I'm quite happy to reformat the drive and just leave it as one big wazoo I was just wondering if I could avoid that.

Secondly I'm looking to go 64bit on the OP's recommendation. But apparently my Creative X-Fi card isn't compatible anyone encountered that issue?

To answer your edit: extra internal drives work just fine - I have the same 3 drives I had when I went from XP -> 7, I didn't have to do anything special.

And as for your post, unfortunately incompatibility is not all that uncommon. Manufacturers don't seem to care that people may have things that are a couple years old and want to upgrade. I guess they figure since they won't make any money off of making them, they won't do it (which is pretty dickish).

Edit - Sound cards seem to be the biggest culprit of this. I have a sound card I can't use as well, so I'm stuck using onboard sound.

subx fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Feb 28, 2010

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
I'm finding that the Aero and Windows 7 Basic themes activate some features that allow some apps to do extra stuff like moving tabs into title bars and such. However I'm quite loathe to use those because they managed to eat up screen space with unneeded poo poo like rounded corners, transparency and thicker window chrome.

Is there a way to customize themes so i can run an "advanced" theme with less candy?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

thrawn86 posted:

whats the difference besides having '+' instead of an arrow? does it enable 'up directory' instead of 'back'?

and why in the name of god would anyone give up the win7 start menu. Its *fantastic*. I die inside every time I see my boss with his blazing new win7 machine, aero off, XP classic theme enabled, hunting and pecking through the start menu to find some obscure app.

also, my explorer has always shown file size of individual and selected items. I'm confused.

The Vista/Windows 7 start menu IS leaps and motherfucking bounds above the old, classic start menu. The classic start menu licks balls, even if only for the sweet, sweet search feature in the bottom of the start menu now.

One problem with the new start menu I have is the way the folders stack inside the start menu. It's cramped, it's pointless, it looks like poo poo, and isn't very intuitive. The regular XP start menu is much better in this respect, it has the two pane style of the new start menu, but with the cascading menus of the old. Just misses the search box...

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Ridiculously stupid question for a moment here folks, but this is my first time with 7 and I never touched Vista and thus this whole UAC concept is quite new to me. Is there anything inherently "bad" with disabling it? I'd like to run some programs overnight, such as Spybot or Defraggler, but it seems like that won't work unless I disable UAC (since I wouldn't be sitting at the computer to hit "Yes" when the prompt comes up).

I know how to make shortcuts run as Administrator by going to the Compatability tab, that's somewhat useless if it's a scheduled task.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Windows 7 / Vista already defrags your hard drives weekly. Just type "defrag" into the start menu and change when it runs if you want. As for Spybot, it seems pretty pointless to run that as a service. With UAC turned to max you're going to get a prompt if you browse to a webpage and it tries to install some poo poo, so as long as you hit "no" every time or use a non-lovely browser Spybot isn't ever going to find more than cookies to clean out.

On the other hand, if you disable UAC your system is about as secure as Windows XP (ie not at all). Leave it on (and turn it up from the default settings) and install that free Microsoft antivirus if you'd like to protect your computer from something more than cookies.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
This is a bit stupid as well but should I really get a 64 Bit version for my Dell Vostro 1400? Dell offer "Vista 32 Bit" drivers on their site and there is no other option for 64 Bit drivers. Will these work with the 64 Bit version? Thanks!

E: The Vostro 1400 is not listed here. So I guess there's no way.

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 28, 2010

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

When you buy Win7 you get both versions so you may as well try 64bit. Unless, of course, the Vostro is incapable of reaching 4GB of RAM or you never intend to put that much in.

As for drivers, you'll just need to figure out who actually makes the parts and source them direct from the manufacturers. This is usually a good idea as Dell are pretty crap at driver updates.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Mithaldu posted:

I'm finding that the Aero and Windows 7 Basic themes activate some features that allow some apps to do extra stuff like moving tabs into title bars and such. However I'm quite loathe to use those because they managed to eat up screen space with unneeded poo poo like rounded corners, transparency and thicker window chrome.

Is there a way to customize themes so i can run an "advanced" theme with less candy?
My pixels :qq: As far as I know the only option for reducing window borders is in Personalize/Window Color/Advanced appearance settings, but it's already at 1 by default.

FallenGod posted:

On the other hand, if you disable UAC your system is about as secure as Windows XP (ie not at all). Leave it on (and turn it up from the default settings) and install that free Microsoft antivirus if you'd like to protect your computer from something more than cookies.
I thought they changed this behavior from Vista so that now if you disable UAC it just silently tells everything No for your protection.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Swilo posted:

My pixels :qq: As far as I know the only option for reducing window borders is in Personalize/Window Color/Advanced appearance settings, but it's already at 1 by default.
drat, and here was me thinking they'd finally managed to create a window manager that's not crap. Ah well, back to classic windows style.

Iblys
Sep 23, 2003

gay for iBag....i mean, disconnect and self-destruct one bullet at a time...

Mithaldu posted:

drat, and here was me thinking they'd finally managed to create a window manager that's not crap. Ah well, back to classic windows style.

When Vista came out I saw the screenshots and had the same "Oh god, the wasted pixels" reaction that you had. After actually installing Windows 7, shaving my neckbeard, and accepting that I would try something different, I have no problem whatsoever with Aero. It's slick, pretty, inoffensive, and I don't find myself missing the 30 pixels that have gone to waste.

Maybe just try it for a while.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Iblys posted:

Maybe just try it for a while.

I actually did that, but that still leaves one feature on that is very problematic for me: Forced font smoothing in the chrome that i cannot switch off. I feel like i'm wearing foggy glasses or something.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Swilo posted:

Wrong.

In that section there is a new setting called "Border Padding" which is set to 4 by default. This is what provides the massive borders in Aero.

I have mine set to zero as the border padding breaks the window positioning in some apps that aren't aware of the new setting, such as the NX Client for Windows. (and also because, my pixels!)

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Sooner or later the basic theme won't exist, and then what're you gonna do? Huh? Huh?!

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

I suspect it'll be around for a while longer yet. Hopefully Windows 8 or 7SP2 will let you have an aero enabled basic theme.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Swilo posted:

I thought they changed this behavior from Vista so that now if you disable UAC it just silently tells everything No for your protection.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't do that, because then you wouldn't be able to do anything that requires admin access...like turning UAC back on.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like Aero for the most part, but is there a way to remove the drop shadow that windows have along the outside edge?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

I like Aero for the most part, but is there a way to remove the drop shadow that windows have along the outside edge?

In the start menu, enter "appearance" to get "Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows" and there you can disable it and some other stuff like transparency.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

What a bunch of luddites.

ninja-edit: beaten by Mithaldu.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

FallenGod posted:

I'm pretty sure it doesn't do that, because then you wouldn't be able to do anything that requires admin access...like turning UAC back on.
There's also always been an easy way to get that behavior: just run as a non-administrator.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

Lum posted:

In that section there is a new setting called "Border Padding" which is set to 4 by default. This is what provides the massive borders in Aero.
Spiffy, but I don't mind the padding myself. It actually looks kind of bad when set to 1 or 0 because then the corners don't round poperly and the title icon/text run up against the ceiling.

FallenGod posted:

I was speaking for non-admin accounts, but it was probably bad information. I do know that programs which aren't coded to ask for elevation will simply ignore the problem and not read/write files even if they say they have because it's blocked at a level they aren't aware of.

Plorkyeran posted:

There's also always been an easy way to get that behavior: just run as a non-administrator.
Which still prompts you for credentials unless you change something in the local security policies. If you're worried about not being asked for a name and password as admin there's a setting in there for that too.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Swilo posted:

I was speaking for non-admin accounts, but it was probably bad information. I do know that programs which aren't coded to ask for elevation will simply ignore the problem and not read/write files even if they say they have because it's blocked at a level they aren't aware of.

The info is correct, but most people run as admin accounts. If you turn UAC off, the computer behaves exactly like XP did: everything is silently approved for admin accounts and silently denied for non-admin. This of course makes non-admin ("limited") accounts useless and admin accounts insecure.

And yes, programs that are not aware of UAC will fail when attempting to do restricted activities. You must run them as Administrator (right click, run as administrator) to make them work properly.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

kapinga posted:

And yes, programs that are not aware of UAC will fail when attempting to do restricted activities. You must run them as Administrator (right click, run as administrator) to make them work properly.
Or find an alternative that's properly maintained if there's no update for what you're currently using :) MS does something really good and it's a shame so many people think it's a mistake due to slow adoption.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

kapinga posted:

The info is correct, but most people run as admin accounts. If you turn UAC off, the computer behaves exactly like XP did: everything is silently approved for admin accounts and silently denied for non-admin. This of course makes non-admin ("limited") accounts useless and admin accounts insecure.

Anyone know how a good way to use UAC at the enterprise level? I'd rather not even give users the option of elevating to admin (even though their accounts aren't admins) I can imagine them mashing in their password for hours trying to get admin on the machines. On the other hand, I really like that if I try and do some admin stuff while they're logged in I just put in my credentials and it runs as admin. Like XP's runas command, but a lot less of a huge pain in the rear end.

johndoe7776059
Aug 31, 2001

Nate RFB posted:

Ridiculously stupid question for a moment here folks, but this is my first time with 7 and I never touched Vista and thus this whole UAC concept is quite new to me. Is there anything inherently "bad" with disabling it? I'd like to run some programs overnight, such as Spybot or Defraggler, but it seems like that won't work unless I disable UAC (since I wouldn't be sitting at the computer to hit "Yes" when the prompt comes up).

I know how to make shortcuts run as Administrator by going to the Compatability tab, that's somewhat useless if it's a scheduled task.

For a task scheduled with the windows task scheduler, just get properties on it, and then check "Run with highest privileges". This is also a useful method if you want run software that requires Administrator at logon. Create a schedule task for it and set it to run at log on of any user.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

kapinga posted:

You can nearly always just give your account access to a few specific things instead. The vast majority of programs that require administrator access really just need write access to the directory they're installed in and maybe a few registry keys.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
How can I look up the actual error code from a BSOD/crash? I have a fresh install of Win 7 x64 and it is apparently blue screening/crashing all the time while I am away from my computer. Before I upgraded yesterday, I had never BSOD'd while running the x64 RC so I'm not really sure what the problem is.

I ran memtest and the windows memory diagnostic thing and there are no problems with my ram, so I have no idea what hardware is causing the BSOD. All I get is the "Windows has recovered from a problem" message after the restart.

TheUnforgiven
Mar 28, 2006
lanky fuck
I have a Windows 7 Pro Upgrade key from my school from the Ultimate Steal deal thing they have going on and my Windows 7 RC is expiring tomorrow. If I had a regular disc for Windows 7 Pro, that was the full install disc and used my code from the upgrade would everything still work fine?
I dont know if I still have my old XP CD and Code around here somewhere and really dont feel like going that route to reinstall.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."

TheUnforgiven posted:

I have a Windows 7 Pro Upgrade key from my school from the Ultimate Steal deal thing they have going on and my Windows 7 RC is expiring tomorrow. If I had a regular disc for Windows 7 Pro, that was the full install disc and used my code from the upgrade would everything still work fine?
I dont know if I still have my old XP CD and Code around here somewhere and really dont feel like going that route to reinstall.

You will need to use a registry hack to convert your existing installation (RC Ultimate) to Pro (don't have the correct link, but I'm pretty sure this is the same thing, just for Enterprise), then upgrade from the RC using the cversion.ini trick. You do not need an XP CD or code to upgrade.

TheUnforgiven
Mar 28, 2006
lanky fuck

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

You will need to use a registry hack to convert your existing installation (RC Ultimate) to Pro (don't have the correct link, but I'm pretty sure this is the same thing, just for Enterprise), then upgrade from the RC using the cversion.ini trick. You do not need an XP CD or code to upgrade.

Awesome. Though the only issue is that I installed the 32bit Ultimate and can run 64bit and was wanting to upgrade to the 64bit. So a fresh install would be necessary wouldnt it?

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

astr0man posted:

How can I look up the actual error code from a BSOD/crash? I have a fresh install of Win 7 x64 and it is apparently blue screening/crashing all the time while I am away from my computer. Before I upgraded yesterday, I had never BSOD'd while running the x64 RC so I'm not really sure what the problem is.
It should be in the event viewer, but you could also set it to not automatically restart so the blue screen sits there waiting for you. Type advanced system settings into the start menu then click Startup and Recovery, there's a checkbox for it.

TheUnforgiven posted:

Awesome. Though the only issue is that I installed the 32bit Ultimate and can run 64bit and was wanting to upgrade to the 64bit. So a fresh install would be necessary wouldnt it?
Yes, you will need to fresh install from 32 to 64 but there should still be the option to copy everything to Windows.old. Any Windows 7 Pro disc will work just fine.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Well I've got something weird going on. I started using the RC when it became available, and put it on an older harddrive. I left my XP install on its own drive which I had in the computer, in case the RC messed up.

With the RC running out in a few days I went and bought Windows 7. I formatted my XP drive, unhooked my RC drive, and then tried to install Win7. It didn't work. I got a message about bootmgr not being found. I thought it was odd, so instead I tried booting from the DVD.

This didn't work. I couldn't boot from the DVD. I'll get the "Windows is loading files" and then the Windows logo will come on, and then the screen will become Win7's blue background followed by the mouse cursor coming up. And that's it. I can move the mouse cursor around, but there is nothing to select.

Eventually I decided to hook my RC drive back up, boot from it, and install Windows 7 onto the old XP drive from inside the RC. This worked. Except I still can't boot that harddrive up because bootmgr isn't being found, and I still can't boot from the DVD.

I do have the option of picking which install of Windows 7 I want to use when I start my computer. The problem is they're both labeled Windows 7, and until I actually try to boot it up or repair it, I have no clue as to which one it is referring to. I've clicked the top option three times and the bottom option twice, and only once did I get the non-RC to boot up. From inside the OS I couldn't do any attempt at fixing the boot issue. Every time I've tried to repair the installation before booting it up, I get the RC.

I have absolutely no clue what is going on, and with the RC running out in a few hours I'm kind of worried. All equipment is internal, and the Win7 RC and Win7 installs are 64bit on a 64bit processor.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

TTBF posted:

I formatted my XP drive, unhooked my RC drive, and then tried to install Win7. It didn't work. I got a message about bootmgr not being found. I thought it was odd, so instead I tried booting from the DVD.

This didn't work. I couldn't boot from the DVD. I'll get the "Windows is loading files" and then the Windows logo will come on, and then the screen will become Win7's blue background followed by the mouse cursor coming up. And that's it. I can move the mouse cursor around, but there is nothing to select.
When do you get this message about bootmgr, before or after you've (partially?) installed 7? What were you trying to boot from if not the DVD since the drive was formatted?

You may have to leave it on that screen for a while, if there's disc activity let it keep running.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
I reinstalled Windows 7 after a hard drive died, but made the mistake if leaving my TV plugged in.

In it's infinite wisdom it decided that my 52" TV would be my primary monitor over my 20" monitor, and that I'd like to use large 120 DPI fonts instead of the default 96. (I presume its got something to do with EDID information, becuase I know it's not solely the native res that decides whether ot not to use large fonts by default)

Setting it back for my regular user account was fine, but now no matter what I do, I can't get the login screen back to 96. I've unplugged the TV. I've set HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontDPI back to 96. I've set HKU\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\WindowMetrics\AppliedDPI to 96, but upon reboot it's back to 120. I've done a search on "120" in regedit and found nothing further. How the gently caress do I solve it?

I know merely connecting the TV isn't the problem, because it previously worked fine when it was disconnected during the install.

It's not even a major problem -- even the lock screen looks normal, it's only the login screen on reboot. But I refuse to lose!

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Mar 1, 2010

plaguedoctor
Jun 26, 2008

I CAN DUMP MY GIRLFRIEND CAUSE SHE'S LIKE A WHORE, RIGHT GUYS? RIGHT???

XTimmy posted:

Anyone know if I'll be able to tell Win7 to install on C:\ or should I just format the entire drive and start from scratch with a full 250gb C:\ drive? Once I've backed everything up with Windows Easy Transfer or whatever.

I asked about something similar to this about 20pages back or so, and the consensus seemed to be that, if you are going to partition a separate drive for your OS for Win7, your best bet would be to go with about 75GB for your OS and then have the rest for whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

TTBF posted:

Well I've got something weird going on [...] then the screen will become Win7's blue background followed by the mouse cursor coming up. And that's it. I can move the mouse cursor around, but there is nothing to select.

How long did you wait? It seems that depending on the hardware 7's setup can hang at this point for a long time. Long time as in "I was setting up 7 on a relatively modern machine and it sat there for 15 minutes before proceeding."

I'm not sure what caused it exactly as the machine performed perfectly once 7 was actually up and running, it just stopped dead there for a while. I imagine it has something to do with the hardware discovery phase getting a bit caught up on something.