Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Farting
Jul 28, 2003

has vegetable salty
Med student here. If I walk into a room and the IV pole is beeping while I talk to the patient, should I attempt to turn it off? Or does that interrupt your workflow if you don't hear the alarm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

McJogurt posted:

Med student here. If I walk into a room and the IV pole is beeping while I talk to the patient, should I attempt to turn it off? Or does that interrupt your workflow if you don't hear the alarm?

Ahh med students. :unsmith:

You should probably look at it and see why it's beeping. More often than not it's something that you yourself can correct, but sure go ahead and notify the nurse that it happened.

plecostomus
Oct 17, 2009

Toned down for your pleasure
I'm not a nurse but my wife is a Nurse Practitioner in the UK. As I understand it in the UK we are moving towards more nurse-led practice, at least in GP surgeries. She is getting her prescribing pad in June and is over the moon.

Anyway I have nothing to add to this thread other than to say I congratulate you on your choice of profession, you people really add something to society and should be proud to hold your heads up high, I applaud you.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

McJogurt posted:

Don't ever turn it off. Tell the nurse. Maybe it's just a small air bubble alarm and you just need to advance the tiny air bubble a little bit. Maybe the volume to be infused amount was set a little low to alert the nurse when it was time to order a new bag. Maybe it was an antibiotic infusion that wasn't being piggybacked because the patient had no maintenance IVF ordered so it's just going to beep when dry. Could be a bag of amiodarone that needs to be be fiddled with because amio likes to cause air bubbles like a motherfucker. Or maybe it's a vasopressor that needs to be fixed NOW.

Then again of course it depends on where you are at. If you are on my unit which is a Surgical/Cardiovascular ICU we only have 1-2 patients tops and our patients are in glass rooms where we are right outside the entire time so it's not going to be an issue because the nurse will be right there. On a floor they aren't going to be on anything too vital. They don't usually let patients on titratable important vasopressors leave the ICU. Although they may go down on fixed rate Milrinone or something similar to that which could be very important.

Basically trace the line up from the pump to the infusion bag/bottle. Then use your judgment whether or not you should give a poo poo.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 1, 2010

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

AquaVita posted:

Ahh med students. :unsmith:

lol

Be nice to us, we know nothing beyond multiple choice tests :)

Guy Farting
Jul 28, 2003

has vegetable salty
Yeah most of the time it says something like "IVF infusion complete" and I'm not sure if I should turn it off or just let it beep. I haven't been touching them without letting the nurse know (except mashing the silence button as needed) but I just wanted to make sure.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Graduated with a BA in History/Poli Sci from a UC campus this past summer thinking I wanted to go into Law School. Long story short, I don't. My mother and aunt are both nurses (my mom is a hospice RN) and I was looking for another set of opinions here. Everything they have been saying is great and they are both really satisfied with their job and how it has treated them over the years. I enjoy science, like helping people, etc. What kind of program should I be thinking about? My mom mentioned an AA RN program, but they have both been nurses for 30 years now so I'm not sure how up to date they are on the current degree programs. She suggested I plan on getting started with some Anatomy/Physiology + Microbiology classes at a community college this fall - should I be going for a straight AA RN or some kind of Master of Science Nursing program for those with non-nursing BA's?

Fromage D Enfer
Jan 20, 2007
Strawbrary!

cheese posted:

Graduated with a BA in History/Poli Sci from a UC campus this past summer thinking I wanted to go into Law School. Long story short, I don't. My mother and aunt are both nurses (my mom is a hospice RN) and I was looking for another set of opinions here. Everything they have been saying is great and they are both really satisfied with their job and how it has treated them over the years. I enjoy science, like helping people, etc. What kind of program should I be thinking about? My mom mentioned an AA RN program, but they have both been nurses for 30 years now so I'm not sure how up to date they are on the current degree programs. She suggested I plan on getting started with some Anatomy/Physiology + Microbiology classes at a community college this fall - should I be going for a straight AA RN or some kind of Master of Science Nursing program for those with non-nursing BA's?

I'm in the same boat as you. I graduated with a B.S. in History and decided that I really wanted to get into nursing after working a few jobs at some medical clinics. Because I have a B.S. already, I can get into an accelerated BSN program which are aimed at college graduates in fields other than nursing. Most programs require classes like A & P, chem, nutrition, lifespan development, micro, and statistics. I went back to school for a year and a half to do all these so I will be applying in the fall. I would recommend since you already have a B.A. not to get an associates. From what I can tell, a lot of community colleges have wait-lists or lotteries and applicants are on the list for years before they get in regardless of grades, extracurriculars, or job experience. However, university ABSN programs are based on merit and interest in the field. Plus, if you ever want to go farther into academics, having an BSN over an associates will make it easier to go farther. Since you would have to do a bridge program to go from RN to BSN then into MSN and so on.
Regardless of what you do, school is highly competitive so you have to really want to get yourself in. There are a lot more people looking to get into school then there are seats available.

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

cheese posted:

What is it about history grads going to nursing school?

I'm just going the AA RN route myself, mostly because it's faster and I can do a bridge program at a local college later if I wish.

w3rd
Dec 18, 2003

w3rd to your mother
I graduated with my BSN back in May and started working in an ER in South Carolina back in November. I really wanted to move out to Denver but could not find any hospitals accepting new graduates at the time and all wanted "minimum one year experience." I am now wondering if anyone has experience with or knows the likelihood of getting hired to another hospital after only one years experience?

Also do you ICU nurses see new nurses coming from the ED often? Do their experience in the ER make it for an easy transition to ICU? I would think so as I see a lot of cardiac drips down in the ER.

I was about ready to give up on nursing towards the end of school as I really hated floor nursing and only considered nursing school a stepping stone on my way to CRNA school. Working in the ER is totally different though and I really enjoy it a lot. We only got 1 day in the ER throughout my 2 years of school so I had no idea what to expect. I'm not sure if I still want to go on to CRNA school since the more I work the more I really don't want to go back to school. I am only 22 though so I figure I have plenty of time to go back in the future.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Fromage D Enfer posted:

I'm in the same boat as you. I graduated with a B.S. in History and decided that I really wanted to get into nursing after working a few jobs at some medical clinics. Because I have a B.S. already, I can get into an accelerated BSN program which are aimed at college graduates in fields other than nursing. Most programs require classes like A & P, chem, nutrition, lifespan development, micro, and statistics. I went back to school for a year and a half to do all these so I will be applying in the fall. I would recommend since you already have a B.A. not to get an associates. From what I can tell, a lot of community colleges have wait-lists or lotteries and applicants are on the list for years before they get in regardless of grades, extracurriculars, or job experience. However, university ABSN programs are based on merit and interest in the field. Plus, if you ever want to go farther into academics, having an BSN over an associates will make it easier to go farther. Since you would have to do a bridge program to go from RN to BSN then into MSN and so on.
Regardless of what you do, school is highly competitive so you have to really want to get yourself in. There are a lot more people looking to get into school then there are seats available.
Ya right now I would be looking at taking those pre-req courses at a local CC this fall and spring and then applying for fall 2011 for a program. I've got a 3.19 from UC Davis from my undergrad so would it be safe to assume that if I bust rear end and tear up those pre-req courses at the JC, that I should have a good shot at getting into an accelerated BSN program on the first try? What kind of volunteer work should I be shooting for this next year to improve my chances? Any particular order to take A&P/micro biology?

cheese fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Mar 2, 2010

Fromage D Enfer
Jan 20, 2007
Strawbrary!

cheese posted:

Ya right now I would be looking at taking those pre-req courses at a local CC this fall and spring and then applying for fall 2011 for a program. I've got a 3.19 from UC Davis from my undergrad so would it be safe to assume that if I bust rear end and tear up those pre-req courses at the JC, that I should have a good shot at getting into an accelerated BSN program on the first try? What kind of volunteer work should I be shooting for this next year to improve my chances? Any particular order to take A&P/micro biology?

Some programs don't even really bother to look at your previous undergraduate GPA, just the prerequisite courses, however some require some sort of test like the GRE, TEAS, or HESI A2 for admission. Thats what particularly annoys me about all the different nursing programs. I would like to do the safe thing and apply to multiple schools, but every school has different requirements and I don't have the time or money to take every single requirement.
As far as course order, if you have never taken any biology classes, I would start out with freshman biology for majors. If you do have some biology under your belt, go ahead and jump into A & P. Depending on the program you apply to, take chemistry for allied health majors too. Lifespan development and nutrition are pretty simple, and if you can handle them, get them taken care of. Stats take whenever you have the time, then probably microbiology since it may have prerequisites like freshman biology or chemistry.
Concerning volunteer work, it'd be a good idea to get involved with a local hospital, hospice, low income clinic, or VA. It allows you to see and meet people and get a feel for the environment you will be working in. Job shadowing is also a good thing to try. If you go through a JC for pre-nursing, you can look into a CNA/LPN program so you can get work experience along the way. The pre-nursing/CNA/LPN courses are generally pretty similar.
I haven't even applied yet, so all my advice is based on informations sessions, university websites, and nursing forums I have been reading for the past few years. This process is a lot more complicated then it ought to be so YMMV.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Fromage D Enfer posted:

Some programs don't even really bother to look at your previous undergraduate GPA, just the prerequisite courses, however some require some sort of test like the GRE, TEAS, or HESI A2 for admission. Thats what particularly annoys me about all the different nursing programs. I would like to do the safe thing and apply to multiple schools, but every school has different requirements and I don't have the time or money to take every single requirement.
As far as course order, if you have never taken any biology classes, I would start out with freshman biology for majors. If you do have some biology under your belt, go ahead and jump into A & P. Depending on the program you apply to, take chemistry for allied health majors too. Lifespan development and nutrition are pretty simple, and if you can handle them, get them taken care of. Stats take whenever you have the time, then probably microbiology since it may have prerequisites like freshman biology or chemistry.
Concerning volunteer work, it'd be a good idea to get involved with a local hospital, hospice, low income clinic, or VA. It allows you to see and meet people and get a feel for the environment you will be working in. Job shadowing is also a good thing to try. If you go through a JC for pre-nursing, you can look into a CNA/LPN program so you can get work experience along the way. The pre-nursing/CNA/LPN courses are generally pretty similar.
I haven't even applied yet, so all my advice is based on informations sessions, university websites, and nursing forums I have been reading for the past few years. This process is a lot more complicated then it ought to be so YMMV.
Ya fair enough. I've seen a breakdown of an applicants score from several different nursing programs, and I've seen this formula several times for Direct Entry Masters/Second BA programs: 2 points for undergrad GPA, 4 points for science prereq GPA, 2 points for TEAS score and 2 points for misc stuff (essays, work/volunteer experience, etc). TBH the pre-reqs and application requirements for the same program (like a direct entry masters for non-RN's) at different schools seem to be frustratingly varied. For example, UCSF http://nurseweb.ucsf.edu/www/ps-em.htm requires just Anatomy, Physiology and a Stats course - SFSU http://www.sfsu.edu/~bulletin/current/programs/nursing.htm#342305 requires 34 units worth of pre-reqs. Some want microbiology, stats, chemistry and even nutrition classes.

Damn Phantom
Nov 20, 2005
ZERG LERKER
I have a question as the boyfriend of a recently licensed RN.

Long story short: we're both currently in Massachusetts and she's licensed here. I'm most likely going to law school at one of the University of California schools unless my remaining application to BU comes through as an acceptance. We're pretty serious and want to stay together but she doesn't want to move to California unless she has a job secured first.

Notwithstanding the licensing issue as we know she has to get another license to work in California, is it possible for her to find a job in California over the span of the next 1-2 years considering that a) she/I have no connections to Cali that could bag her a job b) she has no job experience as of yet? I guess I'd appreciate somebody who has some knowledge of the current nursing job market of California to chime in. And if so, are there any tips or resources you could provide to help with this process? I'm not sure if it matters any but she graduated from the nursing program at Simmons College--which is at least respected in the New England area.

As things stand, we're hoping that she can find a job here in Boston and work for a year or two, and then apply for jobs in Cali with some job experience under her belt. We're both wanting to try long distance but naturally don't want that distance to last longer than necessary.

Ears
Aug 28, 2007

it's true
This is a little off-topic, so let me start with an apology; I'm sorry.

Having said that, I think you'll forgive me.

I have been laughing my rear end off. Nurse Anesthetists started a musical group - they call themselves "The Laryngospasms" and their version of an old classic is one of my favorites. "Waking Up Is Hard To Do"

Well done and terribly funny.

I'd give up my third favorite body part to see them in concert.
Video is "meh" but the music and creativity is awesome. They have two albums.

Ears fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 4, 2010

Original.Evil
Apr 9, 2007

by mons all madden
I'm currently a sophomore who is a Biology Major, and the more I think about it, the more I'd like to be in a helicopter. In my area (60115, Chicago Suburbs) the local LifeFlights are staffed by a pilot, paramedic (EMT-P) and a nurse. Does anybody work in this field/know anything about it? I'm already an EMT-B and I really love doing emergency response work. Is it worth it to try and transition into a nursing degree now, or should I just finish out the biology degree and try to get into nursing school? At this point I could probably stay in school consequence free for about 2 years or so, after that I start getting into debt. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Pixi
Apr 16, 2001

I am loved.
Start looking in to nursing programs now. LifeFlight will mean a BSN (at minimum) and several years of experience in an ICU/ER environment.

If you start looking in to nursing programs after you graduate, you're looking at a long rear end road. You may have to get on a waiting list, you may have other program prerequisites to finish. If you're serious about going in to nursing, no sense in wasting time. Get on that poo poo, and hope that you can get in to a program in the next two years.

Bernard du Bomme
Apr 1, 2006
I know it's a sin but tell me it happens.

drat Phantom posted:

I have a question as the boyfriend of a recently licensed RN.

Long story short: we're both currently in Massachusetts and she's licensed here. I'm most likely going to law school at one of the University of California schools unless my remaining application to BU comes through as an acceptance. We're pretty serious and want to stay together but she doesn't want to move to California unless she has a job secured first.

Notwithstanding the licensing issue as we know she has to get another license to work in California, is it possible for her to find a job in California over the span of the next 1-2 years considering that a) she/I have no connections to Cali that could bag her a job b) she has no job experience as of yet? I guess I'd appreciate somebody who has some knowledge of the current nursing job market of California to chime in. And if so, are there any tips or resources you could provide to help with this process? I'm not sure if it matters any but she graduated from the nursing program at Simmons College--which is at least respected in the New England area.

I just read this article in Sunday's paper:

http://www.fresnobee.com/2010/03/13/1858557/valley-nursing-grads-scramble.html

It's specific to the central valley, but it also talks about nursing jobs in California--how if the economy recovers, we'll be one of the last states to feel it.

Apparently nurses that that would have been retiring at this time aren't (probably because they took hits to their pensions), so jobs that were expected to open up haven't. My boyfriend is a nursing student and we're hoping things will get better by the time he gets his RN. I'm working on my masters to be a librarian, and it's the same thing there--jobs haven't grown as much as people thought they would.

I hate to be a Debbie Downer. It wouldn't hurt to have some experience, so maybe her working where she is for a while is a good idea. We did the long-distance thing for 4 years, but have been living together for two now :)

mizbachevenim
Jul 13, 2002

If you fake the funk, your nose will grow
I'll be taking my NCLEX on Tuesday and looking into the possibility of relocating to find a job. Anyone know of an ICU in a reasonable sized city that would hire a new grad?

As an aside, selling yourself is a pain in the balls and distracts you from studying.

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK
Hopefully this is within the scope of this thread and someone can answer. (This is NOT an advertisement, I'm only asking for advice)

My 89 year old grandmother lives with her daughter and son of law. The latter two are planning a six-week vacation, and need someone to look after her while they are gone(for reasons I won't get into, other family members in the area are not reliable for that long). They are looking to hire a nursing student or intern or something similar to do it while she's away. There's a large nursing school in our city(Edmonton, Canada) so we know they're there. We have no idea, though, if this is something that would interest the right nursing student. I'm copy/pasting their ad - I'd like to know if this would be appealing to nursing students, or if there's something we are missing.

quote:

Summer Job: Granny-Sitting!

Are you...

* Training in a health or care-giving field?
* Seeking valuable experience to add to your resume?
* Interested in free accommodation in Edmonton – including some meals – this summer?
* Interested in $200 per week on top of that?
* Able to provide several strong references?

If YES, a unique summer position in central Edmonton awaits you.

An elderly and friendly, somewhat frail, but basically fit and self-supporting woman (our mom) needs light support in her house while her usual companions (daughter & son-in-law) are away between the first of July (approx.) and the end of August (approx.). Times are flexible, and other family members in the city can cover the occasion day or week as needed.

Responsibilities:

1. Overnight presence [you must sleep here] for possible emergencies. (i.e. sudden, unexpected illness or a fall) Note: We have ‘Life Call’ as well.
2. Morning ‘check in’ to make sure all is well with mom before departing (if desired) for the day.
3. Suppertime support most days. Help plan and prepare supper & help clean up. (She handles a cooked breakfast, and also lunch, on her own, but it’s nice for her to have a more substantial meal with company once a day.)
4. Occasional accompaniment on half-hour walks (she uses a walker) around our quiet, pleasant, neighbourhood.
5. Casual, friendly conversation now and then to help keep her life interesting. She reads a lot, attends the nearby Lions Senior Centre, likes sitting on the swing outside, and enjoys some very light gardening in raised beds.
6. Usual light cleaning duties in shared spaces. A professional cleaner comes every two weeks.
7. Occasional light shopping as needed for household items (we pay). A local family member will come once a week to take mom food shopping for bulk items (she pays).

Rewards:

1. New, clean, isolated and quiet room of your own, cost-free, for duration. (We could discuss you moving in early, too, if needed or desired (with no or few responsibilities) while the rest of us are still here, to get used to things.
2. Meals you eat with mom will be paid for.
3. $200 in cash paid every Friday by a local family member at an agreed-upon casual meeting time (at which you can discuss any concerns).
4. Space in fridge and cupboards for your own foodstuffs
5. Garden space (you can plant what you want!) to use and enjoy, if you wish.
6. A pleasant back yard to sit and relax in.
7. Friendly and accessible family members to work with who you can call anytime with questions or for help.
8. At the end of the summer, assuming all went well, you’ll get an excellent letter of reference outlining your particular qualities in providing extended care and companionship for an elderly person.
9. Lots of time to yourself, a sunny-natured, low-need summer companion who will appreciate what you have to give. (Hey, maybe you’ll even want to adopt her as your second or third grandma!]
10. The satisfaction of knowing you’ve helped a great little old lady enjoy a relaxed and happy summer.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Koskinator posted:

Hopefully this is within the scope of this thread and someone can answer. (This is NOT an advertisement, I'm only asking for advice)

My 89 year old grandmother lives with her daughter and son of law. The latter two are planning a six-week vacation, and need someone to look after her while they are gone(for reasons I won't get into, other family members in the area are not reliable for that long). They are looking to hire a nursing student or intern or something similar to do it while she's away. There's a large nursing school in our city(Edmonton, Canada) so we know they're there. We have no idea, though, if this is something that would interest the right nursing student. I'm copy/pasting their ad - I'd like to know if this would be appealing to nursing students, or if there's something we are missing.

I can't offer any real input and I am not a nursing student but that ad really made me want that job.

Gilese
Jan 14, 2005

Now you all know,
the bards and their songs.
Just noticed this awesome thread here, I'm going to be starting my pre-reqs in fall and I'm really excited. I wound up in a career that I have no real interest in and the only reason I kept with it is because I'm good at it. The only thing I'm nervous about is I'm currently working a full time job and I know I'll eventually have to leave. Which will severely hurt my income but I suppose in the long run it will be beneficial to my income.

Mostly I just look forward to actually going to a job I want to do, and wish I just did this in the first place.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

I hope it's appropriate to post this here. I did nursing school for 3 years and have a ton of scrubs (mostly size S-M), some nursing books and a stethoscope that I'd like to sell. Is there any interest? I'd be happy to make an SA Mart thread if so.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Gilese posted:

Just noticed this awesome thread here, I'm going to be starting my pre-reqs in fall and I'm really excited. I wound up in a career that I have no real interest in and the only reason I kept with it is because I'm good at it. The only thing I'm nervous about is I'm currently working a full time job and I know I'll eventually have to leave. Which will severely hurt my income but I suppose in the long run it will be beneficial to my income.

This is what is going to suck for me. I'm on my 2nd semester of prereqs, and have been working full-time for both. I'm hoping to start the actual RN program in August, worst case by January for sure. I'm wondering how long I can last with working full-time, clinicals, class and studying. I've heard everyone saying that the RN program is so hard that there is no way to work and pass it. I have to believe that they are exaggerating a bit.

leb388
Nov 25, 2005

My home planet is far away and long since gone.

Hughmoris posted:

This is what is going to suck for me. I'm on my 2nd semester of prereqs, and have been working full-time for both. I'm hoping to start the actual RN program in August, worst case by January for sure. I'm wondering how long I can last with working full-time, clinicals, class and studying. I've heard everyone saying that the RN program is so hard that there is no way to work and pass it. I have to believe that they are exaggerating a bit.

Some people in my class work 32 hours a week, and that seems to work for them. Personally I would get exhausted trying to pull that off. I'd say try meeting with one of the nursing professors or current students at your school and ask what they recommend. If you need to scale down to part-time, there's usually the option of student loans to help support yourself.

One thing to consider: many nursing schools won't let you choose your class or clinical times--they'll say, "Show up these days and times, no exceptions." So you need to be somewhat flexible.

Baby_Hippo
Jun 29, 2007

A lot of people enjoy being dead.

amethystbliss posted:

I hope it's appropriate to post this here. I did nursing school for 3 years and have a ton of scrubs (mostly size S-M), some nursing books and a stethoscope that I'd like to sell. Is there any interest? I'd be happy to make an SA Mart thread if so.

I am possibly interested in this! How many of the scrubs are size small and what kind of stethoscope?

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Baby_Hippo posted:

I am possibly interested in this! How many of the scrubs are size small and what kind of stethoscope?
Thanks! I just went ahead and listed everything here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3283161

Let me know if you're interested :).

tiny dracula
Feb 26, 2004

Wow, I'm really glad I found this thread. I'm a 24 y/o dude with a BA in Politics from NYU and not at all happy with the job I've found or my career prospects in general. So lately I've been giving a lot of thought to going back to school for something more practical, and nursing is pretty much at the top of my list.

Right now I'm looking into different programs and trying to figure out what pre-req classes I need to take, it looks like there's about 6 or 7 that I'll need to apply to just about any program. The only thing I'm not totally clear on is what to do after I knock out the pre-reqs at the community college. It looks like I have two good options: try to get into the Associates degree program at the cc, or apply to an accelerated BSN-as-second-degree program somewhere else. Which is best?

The accelerated program seems like it would be the fastest route to becoming an RN, although the associates program would likely be cheaper. Does the prestige of the place from which you get your RN/BSN actually matter to potential employers? It seems like it doesn't, but I could be wrong. I've read that having a BSN will enable you to move up the management ladder, but I've also seen a number of RN-to-BSN programs that seem to be cheap and easy to accomplish while holding down a job. And then there's the matter of actually getting accepted into any of these programs; apparently a shitload of people apply to associates programs, and I imagine they are more selective than a BSN as a second degree program, and possibly with longer waiting times, though again I could be wrong given the economy and the number of people returning to school to change careers. Then there's the matter of having to actually move/quit my job to go the BSN route vs being able to stay here and go to the CC. I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do, but I want a solid plan before I start to invest the time and money into all this. What do you guys think is the way to go here? Those of you that are starting/finishing your pre-reqs, what's your plan from there? And anyone who's been through a second degree BSN program (especially in the Northeast) and would recommend it, I'd be interested to know where you went.

Hentai Tentacle Demon
Apr 12, 2002

Spacy Spicy Love
Yay a thread to vent my frustrations in.

Been in line to get into nursing school for a year and 3 months now. Seen friends and acquaintances who applied after me and with lower scores get in ahead of me to the same choices all in the name of "fairness".

Randomized date/time stamps are loving horseshit. Today was another selection and surprise I didn't get in again. I snapped and fired off a pissed email to the admissions advisor, in polite terms of course, inquiring about why I am still waiting when they are supposedly desperate for males in nursing yet their class makeups are consistently around 95% caucasian females.

leb388
Nov 25, 2005

Hentai Tentacle Demon posted:

Yay a thread to vent my frustrations in.

Been in line to get into nursing school for a year and 3 months now. Seen friends and acquaintances who applied after me and with lower scores get in ahead of me to the same choices all in the name of "fairness".

Randomized date/time stamps are loving horseshit. Today was another selection and surprise I didn't get in again. I snapped and fired off a pissed email to the admissions advisor, in polite terms of course, inquiring about why I am still waiting when they are supposedly desperate for males in nursing yet their class makeups are consistently around 95% caucasian females.

Most of us have been here, so you're in good company. What type of schools are you applying to (two-year, four-year)? Have you had any experience in health care (CNA, hospital tech, volunteering)? If you really think people with lower scores are getting in ahead of you, I would take that angle. They probably don't care if you're male or female, but people do slip through the cracks sometimes over the wrong test scores being sent, etc.

Snord
Mar 5, 2002

We hugged it out, but I was still a little angry.

enjoymywaffles posted:

Wow, I'm really glad I found this thread. I'm a 24 y/o dude with a BA in Politics from NYU and not at all happy with the job I've found or my career prospects in general. So lately I've been giving a lot of thought to going back to school for something more practical, and nursing is pretty much at the top of my list.

Right now I'm looking into different programs and trying to figure out what pre-req classes I need to take, it looks like there's about 6 or 7 that I'll need to apply to just about any program. The only thing I'm not totally clear on is what to do after I knock out the pre-reqs at the community college. It looks like I have two good options: try to get into the Associates degree program at the cc, or apply to an accelerated BSN-as-second-degree program somewhere else. Which is best?

The accelerated program seems like it would be the fastest route to becoming an RN, although the associates program would likely be cheaper. Does the prestige of the place from which you get your RN/BSN actually matter to potential employers? It seems like it doesn't, but I could be wrong. I've read that having a BSN will enable you to move up the management ladder, but I've also seen a number of RN-to-BSN programs that seem to be cheap and easy to accomplish while holding down a job. And then there's the matter of actually getting accepted into any of these programs; apparently a shitload of people apply to associates programs, and I imagine they are more selective than a BSN as a second degree program, and possibly with longer waiting times, though again I could be wrong given the economy and the number of people returning to school to change careers. Then there's the matter of having to actually move/quit my job to go the BSN route vs being able to stay here and go to the CC. I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do, but I want a solid plan before I start to invest the time and money into all this. What do you guys think is the way to go here? Those of you that are starting/finishing your pre-reqs, what's your plan from there? And anyone who's been through a second degree BSN program (especially in the Northeast) and would recommend it, I'd be interested to know where you went.

I'm in a second degree BSN program now. It is really hard, but its only a year. My program also leads into my schools FNP program, which will be nice when I want to go that route. Just be prepared to study a lot, and be prepared to spend tons of money on tuition. PM me if you want more guidance, since the school I am in now is also in NYC. Time to go back to studying, I have a Pediatrics exam and a Med-surg exam two days apart, fun stuff.

Hentai Tentacle Demon
Apr 12, 2002

Spacy Spicy Love

leb388 posted:

Most of us have been here, so you're in good company. What type of schools are you applying to (two-year, four-year)? Have you had any experience in health care (CNA, hospital tech, volunteering)? If you really think people with lower scores are getting in ahead of you, I would take that angle. They probably don't care if you're male or female, but people do slip through the cracks sometimes over the wrong test scores being sent, etc.

2 year asn program then transferring into an asn->bsn program most likely. I've been doing ems on an ambulance for about 7 years now and have worked on nurse units for a few years. Nothing in nursing school is going to come at me out of the blue, my mother and sister are both nurses and I helped both of them through their programs, it's just my turn to go in now.. The lower score thing I know is true because I talked my ex into becoming a nurse and she scored 325 points less than I did on the entrance exam and we applied at the same time, she started in january. The way they do it is complete randomization of applicants who are then assigned a randomly generated timestamp, the time stamp determines your date of entry. I personally feel that this is bullshit since it excludes people who did their dues and scored excellently. I maintained a 4.0 and scored in the 99th percentile yet my c average ex who scored significantly less than me got in before me. They tout their diversity all over campus yet their classes for nursing school are about 95% caucasian female on average with shitloads of males left with their thumb in their rear end. I can understand WHY they do it this way but it doesn't mean I can't try to game the system and attempt to get in sooner with what tools are available to me.

leb388
Nov 25, 2005

2 year asn program then transferring into an asn->bsn program most likely. I've been doing ems on an ambulance for about 7 years now and have worked on nurse units for a few years. Nothing in nursing school is going to come at me out of the blue, my mother and sister are both nurses and I helped both of them through their programs, it's just my turn to go in now.. The lower score thing I know is true because I talked my ex into becoming a nurse and she scored 325 points less than I did on the entrance exam and we applied at the same time, she started in january. The way they do it is complete randomization of applicants who are then assigned a randomly generated timestamp, the time stamp determines your date of entry. I personally feel that this is bullshit since it excludes people who did their dues and scored excellently. I maintained a 4.0 and scored in the 99th percentile yet my c average ex who scored significantly less than me got in before me. They tout their diversity all over campus yet their classes for nursing school are about 95% caucasian female on average with shitloads of males left with their thumb in their rear end. I can understand WHY they do it this way but it doesn't mean I can't try to game the system and attempt to get in sooner with what tools are available to me.

That's bizarre. I've never heard of anything like that. Most nursing schools I've seen look at grades first, then experience, and just pick the best applicants down the line. Can you apply to another school (even if it means taking out loans or relocating)? Can you try to get into the BSN program first and see if they'll give you scholarships? A school that accepts a lot of C students can't have a very good pass rate for the NCLEX.

Hentai Tentacle Demon
Apr 12, 2002

Spacy Spicy Love

leb388 posted:

That's bizarre. I've never heard of anything like that. Most nursing schools I've seen look at grades first, then experience, and just pick the best applicants down the line. Can you apply to another school (even if it means taking out loans or relocating)? Can you try to get into the BSN program first and see if they'll give you scholarships? A school that accepts a lot of C students can't have a very good pass rate for the NCLEX.

Yes I could but a nursing school I could get into immediately would cost like 35,000 dollars. And the pass rate on the nclex is over 90% if I remember right.

leb388
Nov 25, 2005

Yes I could but a nursing school I could get into immediately would cost like 35,000 dollars. And the pass rate on the nclex is over 90% if I remember right.

$35,000 total or per year? Keep in mind that every extra year you work as an RN, you'll be making more money. I'd say apply to the BSN program anyway and see what they offer you in the way of scholarships/financial aid/loans. They know they're competing with the two-year schools for the best students, so they'll go out of their way to help sometimes. One of my friends got into a BSN program on a full scholarship because she had straight A's, so it's possible. And maybe call up the other nursing school's dean and politely make your case if they don't respond to your e-mail.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
Long time lurker, first time poster in this thread. It's been a real big help to me.

I'm 23 years old now, and recently got accepted to an accelerated BSN program at Northern Arizona University that starts in May and ends in a year. I'm excited about the program, but a little nervous about the length- It was previously an 18 month program and it's just been shortened for this school year. Does anyone have some advice on how I can survive the year while remaining sane?

leb388
Nov 25, 2005

Space Harrier posted:

Long time lurker, first time poster in this thread. It's been a real big help to me.

I'm 23 years old now, and recently got accepted to an accelerated BSN program at Northern Arizona University that starts in May and ends in a year. I'm excited about the program, but a little nervous about the length- It was previously an 18 month program and it's just been shortened for this school year. Does anyone have some advice on how I can survive the year while remaining sane?

Accelerated program, eh? That's not so bad--my program's only two years. Try to work as few hours as you can outside the program, and understand that you will not have a proper social life until you graduate. Also, even if you're not the study group type of person, keep tabs on how your classmates are doing and exchange tips/concerns with them. You're all in the same boat, might as well help each other.

In other news, I finished my labor & delivery rotation! :woop: It was not as interesting as I expected though. It was in a tiny hospital (usually only 4-6 maternity patients at a time!) so no babies in the NICU. I got to see two babies born, and held lots of babies in the nursery. I'm quite happy to be back in med-surg though, and I don't think I could work in L & D. It was much, much different than I was expecting.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
6. 6 classes. 6 classes to goooooo....

I need A and P + lab
US History
Math 125
1 class in Humanities
Microbiology
Chemistry

This is just to get accepted into the program.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Finished my last clinical shift as a student today... feels good.

Likely going to be working in corrections, looking forward to the challenge. Anyone else done this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leb388
Nov 25, 2005

Ghost of Castro posted:

Finished my last clinical shift as a student today... feels good.

Likely going to be working in corrections, looking forward to the challenge. Anyone else done this?

One of my professors works in a jail, and she seems to really like it. She said the hours are more flexible than a hospital's, and the benefits are amazing. We visited the jail once to give vaccines, and I don't think I could work there (locked doors behind you, security guards everywhere, can't take your cell phone in) but it's certainly an interesting job. The nurses I saw did admission interviews on general health history, and passed meds for the whole facility. I don't know if that helps or not, but good luck. :)