Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
new MonPoc race announced

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8THGqrjUDGI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Bears w hockey sticks and glasses, hellyeah

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

So I got to play my first real (sort of) game of monpoc tonight. Hot drat.

In the span of 3 turns, my friends monster threw my monster into a crowd of my own units, squashing them.

I proceeded to get up and bodyslam him into a nearby building :hellyeah:

He then swatted one of my flying martian thingies into a building, destroying both.

I dont know if Ive ever played a board/minis game with more FUCKYEAH moments than this. Pretty stoked.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Just wait till you pull off a good Rampage. :smug:

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Just wait till you pull off a good Rampage. :smug:

:smug::hf::smug:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

PaintVagrant posted:

So I got to play my first real (sort of) game of monpoc tonight. Hot drat.

In the span of 3 turns, my friends monster threw my monster into a crowd of my own units, squashing them.

I proceeded to get up and bodyslam him into a nearby building :hellyeah:

He then swatted one of my flying martian thingies into a building, destroying both.

I dont know if Ive ever played a board/minis game with more FUCKYEAH moments than this. Pretty stoked.

what was he playing?

monpoc owns

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Are there giant squid monsters?

This is very important.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Fyrbrand posted:

Are there giant squid monsters?

This is very important.

:smug:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

http://monsterpocalypse.com/gallery/Tritons (sea creatures)

http://monsterpocalypse.com/gallery/Lords%20of%20Cthul (squid...faces)

We were just using a random assortment of stuff, we dont have enough poo poo to really have agenda-based armies yet, not til our warstore shipment gets here :whatup:

But I had zor raiden and he had some huge subteranean dude with a circular saw arm

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
cthul dudes too gibbis but the tritons might work, thanks

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Can anyone point me towards a complete monpoc figure database? I thought I found one but it didnt have all the factions

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Sure thing.

http://www.miniaturetrading.com/im/selectCard/game_id/68/goal/

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

:hellyeah: thanks!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

While Im asking dumb monpoc questions, what does penetrator do, I cant seem to find that particular ability in teh NOW book

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

2 sided sheet with every power in the game:

http://files.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/5o91h42k5r/monpoc_abilities_all.pdf

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

By the by, if you ever get bored, this is a good look at some high level tourney play. This doesn't include stuff from the NOW set, but it's still holds relevant if you want to see some harassment strategy in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I15CXE9WAk

AgentF
May 11, 2009
So what's this about a two-player starter set? That would pull me to the brink of tempting me into this game.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

PP has a special two player starter on their site available here:

https://store.privateerpress.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=8971

That bundle will be available in stores sometime in the future for around the same price. Also the upcoming Voltron Monpoc set will be a 2 player starter as well, which will be released in summer.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
$40US shipping to Australia? Nah! I'll wait and see if Maelstrom get any in.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Dre2Dee2 posted:

PP has a special two player starter on their site available here:

https://store.privateerpress.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=8971

That bundle will be available in stores sometime in the future for around the same price. Also the upcoming Voltron Monpoc set will be a 2 player starter as well, which will be released in summer.

drat, I never considered using Privateer Press as a shield. poo poo I feel like a noob.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Dre2Dee2 posted:

By the by, if you ever get bored, this is a good look at some high level tourney play. This doesn't include stuff from the NOW set, but it's still holds relevant if you want to see some harassment strategy in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I15CXE9WAk

I don't play Monpoc so the technical details of this area pretty hard to follow, but it's still kind of fun to watch. Do most Monpoc games include so many buildings and stuff? Games that are interesting to watch on Youtube have got to be fun to play.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Ashcans posted:

I don't play Monpoc so the technical details of this area pretty hard to follow, but it's still kind of fun to watch. Do most Monpoc games include so many buildings and stuff? Games that are interesting to watch on Youtube have got to be fun to play.

Umm, each player can have up to 12 buildings a piece. So, yeah, most games have a lot of buildings as they're a valuable resource and the only terrain that effects monsters.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Throwing/smashing/swatting units into buildings is so damned satisfying

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

PaintVagrant posted:

Throwing/smashing/swatting units into buildings is so damned satisfying
This, too.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

No one around here plays Monpoc so I have only seen the units and stuff posted online, no one told me there was so much board activity involved. Also apparently there is a Privateer Press building that is indestructible? Haha. Hopefully when I move people will be playing this and I can give it a whirl.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Ashcans posted:

No one around here plays Monpoc so I have only seen the units and stuff posted online, no one told me there was so much board activity involved. Also apparently there is a Privateer Press building that is indestructible? Haha. Hopefully when I move people will be playing this and I can give it a whirl.

Yeah the Privateer Press building has a lot of good abilities.

The monuments are cool, too.

Then there's a wild assortment of buildings that help each factions and agenda. For Example, my GUARD field five Bank Headquarters, and on Vassal I use an Insurance HQ as well.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Ashcans posted:

Yup, it's unkillable. Vain bastards. :haw:

You can always try it out on Vassal to get a hang on the rules and find people to play with. Handy vassal guide here :) :

http://teamcovenant.com/01/07/2010/playing-monsterpocalypse-on-vassal/

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Mothership Ares!!! :argh:

The dice gods were with me however, and I was able to make every critical roll in the monpoc game me and lightersoul just played. It literally came down to I had to make EVERY ROLL on my unit turn to win. Score a win for Mega Zor-Macros, yo. :cool:

..of course now I'm afraid karma will bite me in the rear end and I will miss every roll next game. :ohdear:

Dre2Dee2 fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 2, 2010

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Mothership Ares!!! :argh:

The dice gods were with me however, and I was able to make every critical roll in the monpoc game me and lightersoul just played. It literally came down to I had to make EVERY ROLL on my unit turn to win. Score a win for Mega Zor-Macros, yo. :cool:

..of course now I'm afraid karma will bite me in the rear end and I will miss every roll next game. :ohdear:

Like that 4 BDie whiff I had there against the katana. I only needed 3, I figured with six dice, I could hit it.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

So my monpoc buddy, who I just sort of introduced to the nerdy world of nerdy games, informed me that he really wants to try either malifaux or infinity this summer.

:pcgaming:

Also, does anyone have any experience doing monpoc repaints/tweaks? Me and dre2dee2 were talking about it a bit online yesterday, and I was thinking that I would need a matte varnish coat over them, so the paint would stick...but I guess Id have to mask off the clear acrylic areas and whatnot

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

I just ordered the Arcane Legions starter set and was wondering if anyone could give me a list of its contents. Every place I see online just lists off the ammount of minis not the specific units included. I wanted to go on their site and look at the stats while I wait for it to be shipped.

mark.yaml
Nov 9, 2009

lo siento, no hablo anglais

PaintVagrant posted:

So my monpoc buddy, who I just sort of introduced to the nerdy world of nerdy games, informed me that he really wants to try either malifaux or infinity this summer.

Should still be cheaper than building a WHFB of 40k army! (At least, this is what I keep trying to tell myself :v:)
Hopefully going to order the Malifaux book after the weekend, I'm dying to take a nosey into it. I'll probably post up something about it.

TarDolphinorShark posted:

I just ordered the Arcane Legions starter set and was wondering if anyone could give me a list of its contents. Every place I see online just lists off the ammount of minis not the specific units included. I wanted to go on their site and look at the stats while I wait for it to be shipped.

Pretty sure someone made a hugely awesome breakdown of it plus game test in the Warhammer thread.

Fake Edit: Found it sort of http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3253037&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post371269114 Captain Rufus' reviews own.

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

I must have had a brain fart because that review is what made me break down and buy the starter. I managed to lift a few of the names of the units from his pictures but I am missing some of the others. It's a good start though. Thanks for pointing me back to that review.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

I should say how awesome Monpocs no point system for army building is. It is fracking awesome and more mini games should learn from it. :)

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I should say how awesome Monpocs no point system for army building is. It is fracking awesome and more mini games should learn from it. :)

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I definitely like its system a lot, although any CCG/CMG/etc type game is only as balanced as each of its players own every card/mini.

So in vassal games Im sure its balanced as heck ;)

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

PaintVagrant posted:

I definitely like its system a lot, although any CCG/CMG/etc type game is only as balanced as each of its players own every card/mini.

So in vassal games Im sure its balanced as heck ;)

In Vassal the game is amazing as hell.

On a side note, anyone else, besides Dre, notice the lack of Vassal?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I noticed it because Dre told me about it, does that count? :clint:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

:frogsiren: MY GAME, COBALT, IS IN LIVE BETA:frogsiren:

Holy fukkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

download the heck out of these!

Cobalt Beta Testers Rulebook: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YCHAHZ3C

Feds Forcelist: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QPR8TAQA

Visanth Forcelist: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9GZ27KGM

Cobalt Rulebook posted:

Just to give an overview of what the hell this whole thing is about : Conceptually, the game started as a sort of battletech-esque mech combat game, but has evolved into having smaller, more agile power armored mechs called TARCs.
A TARC is a 12-20 foot tall mech, with a pilot inside using “reactive” controls that allow for near-human agility and reflexes. They carry a huge array of devastating weaponry and modules. The best part about a TARC is that you construct it. Pick a TARC frame, then add weapons and modules as you see fit.
In addition to TARCs, which of course dominate the battlefield, small infantry sections support and help hold objectives, much like the relationship of infantry to tanks in modern warfare.

GAME
Cobalt is a skirmish style of game with a relatively low model count (3-20 models per side). It is based on a 2 part round, which has a logistics and tactics phase. Logistics is where planning and pre-combat things take place. Tactics is where the action happens.
Cobalt uses a standard hex-type of terrain. Units will have a facing, based on the hexface that the front of their model is facing.

CMD MECHANIC
The players in Cobalt are referred to as overlords, and command the battle from afar, typically in large amphibious aircraft command stations. Because you, the overlord, are not on the table, you cannot be attacked.
However, the downfall to commanding from afar is that it is difficult to control all of your units as completely as you would like.
This is where the CMD (command) mechanism comes into play. Overlords will have a certain amount of CMD points that they can allocate to units, which allows them to take additional actions. BUT…those units will have to be within range of a CMD module, an expensive module that certain TARCs and infantry can carry.
So combined arms and unit synergy is key. You have to keep in mind that your units must compliment each other, or they will not be nearly as effective.
Because of the many combinations of TARC/infantry types, weapons, and modules, there will be literally hundreds of ways to build a Cobalt force. This will lead to all sorts of different tactical nuances from game to game.

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 3, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mark.yaml
Nov 9, 2009

lo siento, no hablo anglais
ooohhh