Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I got a Sony AN-LP1 today, and I'm finding that while it picks up DX signals a lot better, it's still catching a lot of local interference. That being said, I'm currently listening to a MAC pirate broadcast quite clearly at 6925khz, something I plainly wasn't able to do before, and I'll call that a success. Plus, it's actually pretty good music, so that's like a double success!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Any hardcore shortwave goons attending this in 2 weeks ?

http://www.swlfest.com/

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Radio Nowhere posted:

Any hardcore shortwave goons attending this in 2 weeks ?

http://www.swlfest.com/

If it was any time other than the 5th-6th, I'd be all over it. This and Bike Week in Daytona both missed because I made plans too early in the year.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I saw Universal Radio has reconditioned G5s for $69... Hmmm. I might finally get one to replace my dead G5 :911:

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Here's a YouTube clip of someone playing with Grundig G3 sync-detection,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WqmOimOPSo

According to the description that radio was bought last November. Now compare it to this clip where the guy bought their G3 right when they came out,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJiusWQZuwg

With production fixes the G3 is turning into one kick rear end radio! So very tempted to get since I still use a Degen 1103. Then again I also have a Sony 2010 and a Radio Shack 398 (a rebranded Sangean ATS-909, non-modded) but can one ever have enough gadgets? NEVER.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
ARRL Handbook came in today :psyduck:. I think you forfeit any right to call yourself a handbook if it doesn't fit in one hand. This book is a beast, should be fun to go through later.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I just bought a Sangean ATS-505 and 20 metres of the cheapest, shittiest speaker wire I could find. So far, I've been able to receive Deutsche Welle, Voice of America, BBC World Service and Radio Canada International as well as the usual assortment of crazy preachers and foreign language stations.

Are there any numbers stations known to broadcast near Australia? I've heard that Cherry Ripe's transmitter is somewhere near Darwin, but so far I haven't been able to receive it.

Currency Exchange
Dec 29, 2008

Bargearse posted:

I just bought a Sangean ATS-505 and 20 metres of the cheapest, shittiest speaker wire I could find. So far, I've been able to receive Deutsche Welle, Voice of America, BBC World Service and Radio Canada International as well as the usual assortment of crazy preachers and foreign language stations.

Are there any numbers stations known to broadcast near Australia? I've heard that Cherry Ripe's transmitter is somewhere near Darwin, but so far I haven't been able to receive it.

http://mt-utility.blogspot.com/2009/11/cherry-ripe-frequency-change.html

I hope that helps.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Thanks. I'll try tuning in tonight.

edit: make that tomorrow, looks like I've already missed it

Bargearse fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 22, 2010

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Radio Nowhere posted:

Here's a YouTube clip of someone playing with Grundig G3 sync-detection,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WqmOimOPSo

According to the description that radio was bought last November. Now compare it to this clip where the guy bought their G3 right when they came out,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJiusWQZuwg

With production fixes the G3 is turning into one kick rear end radio! So very tempted to get since I still use a Degen 1103. Then again I also have a Sony 2010 and a Radio Shack 398 (a rebranded Sangean ATS-909, non-modded) but can one ever have enough gadgets? NEVER.

Why hasn't there been a recall or an exchange program or something? Has anyone done a comparison between the innards of the two revisions to find if it's possible to do the fix yourself?

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

computolio posted:

Why hasn't there been a recall or an exchange program or something? Has anyone done a comparison between the innards of the two revisions to find if it's possible to do the fix yourself?

I believe it's a firmware issue rather then a parts issue (newer firmware allows sync lock with lower signal levels). Not sure if the firmware can be updated in a older G3 by uploading new software or not. Be interesting to find out! Check out the Grundig G3 Yahoo Group, maybe they know.

Edit: Some people have had good luck trading their crappy G3's for a newer G3 by contacting Eton. Just send them an e-mail saying your G3's sync works like poo poo and maybe they'll work something out with you.

Edit Edit: From the front page of the Yahoo Group

Remember: If you have a radio with sync detect problems, send to back to Eton for a replacement!

Looks like Eton will replace it for you. So there is an exchange program!

Radio Nowhere fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 23, 2010

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Bargearse posted:

Actually, Cherry Ripe is transmitted from Guam.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
If anyone is looking for more information on the G3, there's a review in the February issue of Monitoring Times where the author mentions the initial problems with the early units. He straight up returned his first one before getting a second (and additionally a third) unit; his (typical for a magazine) knob-slobbering review is based off of the newer, updated units.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater
So, I feel like I'm missing something big regarding antenna design. A dipole antenna is supposed to have at least OK gain, and should be simple to construct. Is a dipole antenna and different or more complex than just taking a long wire and placing the feed line in the middle, rather than at the end? After all, if both ends of the dipole feed into the same lien when entering the radio, it's essentially one wire, no?

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

Doc Faustus posted:

So, I feel like I'm missing something big regarding antenna design. A dipole antenna is supposed to have at least OK gain, and should be simple to construct. Is a dipole antenna and different or more complex than just taking a long wire and placing the feed line in the middle, rather than at the end? After all, if both ends of the dipole feed into the same lien when entering the radio, it's essentially one wire, no?

A dipole by definition has two balanced radiators, each of which are 1/4 wave long. Each radiator is connected to a separate conductor of a dielectric or parallel line. Both ends of the dipole aren't connected to the same conductor. For example, if you feed a dipole with coaxial cable one radiator is connected to the center conductor, and the other is connected to the braided shield.

A random wire antenna has only one radiator, which is connected to one side of parallel or dielectric line. The other end of the dielectric or parallel line is usually grounded, or connected to some kind of matching network. A random wire antenna is electrically fairly similar to a vertical antenna in a basic sense. It is just laid out horizontally.

In your example, the random wire would still be a single radiator, just connected to the feedline in the middle. So it electrically it would not be a dipole.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Dijkstra posted:

A dipole by definition has two balanced radiators, each of which are 1/4 wave long. Each radiator is connected to a separate conductor of a dielectric or parallel line. Both ends of the dipole aren't connected to the same conductor. For example, if you feed a dipole with coaxial cable one radiator is connected to the center conductor, and the other is connected to the braided shield.

A random wire antenna has only one radiator, which is connected to one side of parallel or dielectric line. The other end of the dielectric or parallel line is usually grounded, or connected to some kind of matching network. A random wire antenna is electrically fairly similar to a vertical antenna in a basic sense. It is just laid out horizontally.

In your example, the random wire would still be a single radiator, just connected to the feedline in the middle. So it electrically it would not be a dipole.

One other thing to remember is that in a dipole, since the system is balanced the length of the poles are exactly what you put up. In an end fed setup, the feedline is part of the antenna unless you use a balun to 'terminate' the connection at the feed point.

Examples

60 foot dipole: Each 30 foot arm is connected to a feed point that connects to 20 feet of coax running to the radio. Your antenna is 60 feet in length.

60 foot end fed: You have a 60 foot run of wire connected a feed point that connects to the center pin of 20 feet of coax running to the radio. Since there is nothing for the ground to connect to, you have essentially have a 80 foot antenna.

This may help: http://www.aa5tb.com/efha.html

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Dijkstra posted:

For example, if you feed a dipole with coaxial cable one radiator is connected to the center conductor, and the other is connected to the braided shield.

OK, that makes a lot more sense. Still missing something, though. On my grundig, the external antenna jack takes a 3.5mm mono jack. For my random wire antenna, I can just solder the wire to the center post on the jack and get signal. If I have two distinct signals, how do I get them to connect to the single post? Is this what a balun is for (antenna design sites are really bad about explaining what the gently caress a balun is/does.)

Semi-related, does anyone have a recommended material to use for a yagi antenna? Using my usual speaker wire would obviously require some sort of extra support, but I'm not sure what sort of material to use otherwise.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

Doc Faustus posted:

OK, that makes a lot more sense. Still missing something, though. On my grundig, the external antenna jack takes a 3.5mm mono jack. For my random wire antenna, I can just solder the wire to the center post on the jack and get signal. If I have two distinct signals, how do I get them to connect to the single post? Is this what a balun is for (antenna design sites are really bad about explaining what the gently caress a balun is/does.)

Semi-related, does anyone have a recommended material to use for a yagi antenna? Using my usual speaker wire would obviously require some sort of extra support, but I'm not sure what sort of material to use otherwise.

I would just connect the end of the random wire to the center lead of the 3.5mm mono plug. That's really all you need to do. You could also experiment with a loop antenna, and connect one end of the random wire to the center lead of the plug and the other end of the wire to the outer lead. If you have quite a bit of wire this can yield better results depending on the band. When I was a lot younger my main SWL antenna was a 80' wire loop strung around the crown molding of my room in this fashion, terminated into a mono plug like you have.

A balun is used to either change the impedance of the feedpoint of an antenna, or to step down the voltage or current.

For example, you can use a 4:1 balun to step down the impedance of balanced feedline to something more like 50 ohms, so it is more electrically similar to coax. This is more important when you are transmitting and feeding an antenna with ladder line or something like that. You don't need to worry about it for SWL.

You can also use a 1:1 balun to balance the current going into a radiator, so it is kind of "electrically isolated" for lack of a better term. A lot of times when you are feeding a dipole antenna with coax the impedances don't quite match up, and it is possible to get current flowing back down your feedline into your radio. A 1:1 balun can be used at the feedpoint of the antenna to stop this from happening. This phenomenon can be affected by things like the height of the antenna, the velocity factor of the radiators and feedline, metal objects near the antenna, etc.

Again, I wouldn't worry about using a balun for your setup, they are really only important when transmitting.

Yagi antennas are usually made out of some type of metal tubing. The best all-around material is copper tubing like you can get at a plumbing store. However for SWL frequencies they have to be too big to really be practical.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Doc Faustus posted:

If I have two distinct signals, how do I get them to connect to the single post?
You mean two separate antenna wires? You could:

A) connect one side to center conductor and the other side to shield (a dipole, as mentioned above)
B) connect both pieces to a third wire (either single piece or the center conductor of coax) that's connected to the center conductor (a "T" antenna, somewhat useful especially if there's a lot of electrical noise near your radio)
C) solder or crimp the two shorter wires to make one longer random wire (this is what I would do for a receive only situation)

Doc Faustus posted:

Is this what a balun is for (antenna design sites are really bad about explaining what the gently caress a balun is/does.)

A balun interfaces an unbalanced signal to a balanced signal, whether that be at the feedpoint of an antenna or at the back of your radio. Balanced means that each side has an equal but opposite current or voltage, unbalanced means that one side is at ground potential and the other is above ground potential. You'll find a little more information here, especially on page 5. Another (even better) source of information would be the ARRL Amateur Handbook, which many libraries have.

quote:

If you're talking about making an HF yagi, you're talking about a very large antenna (up to several hundred feet square), so it would be a very ambitious project (not to mention impossible to turn). However, there are plans available for wire yagis made up of several inverted-Vees designed for HF that seem to work pretty well. If you're talking about higher frequencies (like for a scanner) then anything stiff (such as brass or aluminum rod, #12 solid wire, or even straightened out wire coathangers would work in a pinch) would work reasonably well.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Dijkstra posted:

I would just connect the end of the random wire to the center lead of the 3.5mm mono plug. That's really all you need to do.

Guess my last post wasn't clear enough. In discussing dipole antennas, you mentioned attaching one radiator to the center line of a coax cable, and one radiator to the braided sheath. My point was that a 3.5mm mono input only has one input post, so I could only attach the center line *or* the braided sheath to that center post, or else I'd have to solder them both to the same contact, at which point we're back to it being essentially one long wire.

Would I need some sort of device that could take coaxial cable as input and output is as a single 3.5mm lead?

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

Doc Faustus posted:

Guess my last post wasn't clear enough. In discussing dipole antennas, you mentioned attaching one radiator to the center line of a coax cable, and one radiator to the braided sheath. My point was that a 3.5mm mono input only has one input post, so I could only attach the center line *or* the braided sheath to that center post, or else I'd have to solder them both to the same contact, at which point we're back to it being essentially one long wire.

Would I need some sort of device that could take coaxial cable as input and output is as a single 3.5mm lead?

The mono plug should still have two conductors. One is the tip and one is the ring. If you bought a plug from radio shack or somewhere it should still have a two-conductor wire attached to it.

I'm referring to something like this:

http://www.nulime.com/Plug-Bare-Wire-Adapter-Cables-3.5mm-Mono-Mini-Male-Bare-Wire-two-Lead-3/p454956

If your plug is missing the second lead then about all you could do it make a random wire out of it.

If you get a plug with both leads still attached you could hook up one wire to each lead and you would have a crude dipole.

You could also make a loop antenna in the fashion I was describing earlier. I would try both and see which one works better.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Dijkstra posted:

The mono plug should still have two conductors. One is the tip and one is the ring. If you bought a plug from radio shack or somewhere it should still have a two-conductor wire attached to it.

Ah, OK. God only knows why but I assumed that one wire was an input and one was a ground. This all makes a lot more sense now! Looks like I finally have a new weekend project, either rigging up a slinky dipole, or else just a speakerwire dipole.

edit: Didn't see this posted earlier:

BBC Carribean posted:

However short wave broadcasts in English were reinstated due to the situation in Haiti.

You can can tune in to BBC programmes from 1200 GMT to 1300 GMT on 11860 kHz (25 m.b.) and 9410 kHz (31 m.b.)

Sat 16th - 12:00:00 - 13:00:00
Sun 17th - 12:00:00 - 13:00:00
Mon - Fri (next week) - 12:15:00 - 13:00:00

Doc Faustus fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 24, 2010

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

nmfree posted:

If anyone is looking for more information on the G3, there's a review in the February issue of Monitoring Times where the author mentions the initial problems with the early units. He straight up returned his first one before getting a second (and additionally a third) unit; his (typical for a magazine) knob-slobbering review is based off of the newer, updated units.

Here's that article on the web,

http://radiointel.net/radio-receiver-reviews-info/grundig-globe-traveler-g3/

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Bah, I held off getting a G3 because of the sync issues and ordered another G5 Tuesday. Oh well, I guess there's no reason I can't have 2 radios :D

If we didn't need a new dishwasher I could've had a Satellit 750 :cry:

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Feb 26, 2010

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

OK, hopefully last dipole-construction question. Is the use of coaxial cable an actual important part of the design, or is it just popular because coax plugs directly into so many amps/tuners/radios? If there is some special property of the coax, can I replicate it by using a resistor with the proper ohms in lieu of coax?

tl;dr: Frys Electronics didn't sell the dojigger to easily connect 2 wires to a coax cable.

Doc Faustus fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 26, 2010

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Doc Faustus posted:

OK, hopefully last dipole-construction question. Is the use of coaxial cable an actual important part of the design, or is it just popular because coax plugs directly into so many amps/tuners/radios? If there is some special property of the coax, can I replicate it by using a resistor with the proper ohms in lieu of coax?

tl;dr: Frys Electronics didn't sell the dojigger to easily connect 2 wires to a coax cable.

It's mainly used because it's plentiful and easy to work with. You could always solder the ends of the wire directly to the coax (one side to the center pin, one side to the braid) instead of using an adapter and waterproof it (wrap the joints in electrical tape and encase it in a T of PVC pipe with the ends caulked) if you're doing it outside. If you're running this inside, you could skip the waterproofing.

EDIT: Or since you're going to end up plugging it into a 3.5mm plug anyway, do what I did and run to RadioShack, pick up a bare plug with screw terminals for about $6, and just attach the wires to the plug.

BigHustle fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 26, 2010

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
I was spinning the dial on my Sony 2010 last night hooked up to a DE-31 antenna at my central MD apartment. It was a little after midnight (EST) tuning across the tropical bands (4500 - 5100) and was surprised how many Brazilian stations were coming in! I forget what stations exactly but I received like 7 total. Three of them were coming in stronger then the usual Tennessee religious nuts which were at like half strength. I'll take Brazilian music over Brother Stair anytime! The radio winds were blowing in my favor :)

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

So, slinky dipole update, for anyone else thinking about building one.

1) The soldering you need to do is stupidly easy if you've ever used a solding iron before. If not, the Make Magazine tutorial would probably be enough to get you going.

2) The reception is FANTASTIC. Stations that were once fuzzy were clear as a bell, and stations that I couldn't pull in before were quite listenable. Picked up the Voice of Korea broadcast aimed at South America, as well as Radio New Zealand (surprisingly strong) and Australia (not as much).

3) It will be a bitch to put up. I am really considering either buying on of the pre-made ones, or at least making another one on my own but aping their physical design much closer. The line I used to support the slinkys didn't support much of anything, and I managed to deform both slinkys, so they'll never fully collapse again.

My next step, I think, is try a simple dipole from speaker wire, as the smaller footprint and insulated wires mean I can set it up on a backyard wall and leave it up. Reasonably speaking, a full half-wave dipole for the 6000 kHz range is the biggest antenna I would need. I realize that it wouldn't be optimized for higher ranges, but short of building multiple antennas it's a limitation I would have to deal with. I suppose that's where a non-deformed slinky antenna comes in handy.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I've been tossing around the idea of building a slinky antenna, too; where'd you get your plans from?

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Nostratic posted:

I've been tossing around the idea of building a slinky antenna, too; where'd you get your plans from?

I googled "slinky antenna," half-remembered most of it, and went from there. My "circuit" was just slinkys -> breadboard, breadboard -> external antenna jack. Really the only purpose the breadboard serves is to terminate the slinkys. The problem that I ran into was actually holding it up. I had tied the two slinkys near each other with some paraccord so that, when I put it up, the stress would be on the cord, and not on the slinkys. Then I ran some clothesline from Home Depot through the whole mess and strung it up in the back yard. This was *not* the best idea.

You are really, really going to want something more solid, i.e. PVC pipe, acting as a centerpice for this antenna. That way each slinky can move without pulling on the other. That was my biggest problem, was getting the drat thing to fully extend without ruining the breadboard and wire contraption at the center.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Hah, that's pretty much was I've been doing as far as half-remembering plans. I did find one site that had a pretty simple setup using a PVC central support so I'll probably give that one a try and stick it up in the attic somewhere.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Nostratic posted:

Hah, that's pretty much was I've been doing as far as half-remembering plans. I did find one site that had a pretty simple setup using a PVC central support so I'll probably give that one a try and stick it up in the attic somewhere.

Link to those plans? Since this first trial of mine cost less than $10, I'm pretty willing to just scrap it and start over with a better design.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

http://www.nonstopsystems.com/radio/frank_radio_antenna.htm

This is the one I'll probably follow, as it's pretty simple and uses PVC like you'd mentioned and looks fairly solid.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Last night was a clear night and I had the night off so it was time to go out to the shed and see what I could pick up. I'm still just using a single wire from the shed to the house (about 75') About 0330 central time I picked up the usual preachers, a bunch of spanish stations and one at 6008 that sounded like it was playing spanish Shakira. when we get some warmer weather, I'll have to do some antenna work

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Are there any good stations that play a lot of music? I know the Cuban station will play music but I want more stations with music.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Social Animal posted:

Are there any good stations that play a lot of music? I know the Cuban station will play music but I want more stations with music.

I don't know of any shortwave station that is strictly music but your best bet is just tuning around at any given time. It's rare I scan the shortwave dial unable to find a station playing music.

A recommendation though would be WBCQ's "Area 51" block every night from 7-9 PM (EST) on 5110 KHz. Those 2 hours are filled with pirate-radio shenanigans which include plenty of offbeat music. Reception of that frequency can be tough on the east coast, at least it is for me. If no luck on your radio try this stream.

Radio Nowhere fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 2, 2010

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Right now on 4840 there's some crazy anti-abortion, pro-survivalist, anti-world-government thing on. Just identified as GCN Network with Alex Jones.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

Doc Faustus posted:

Right now on 4840 there's some crazy anti-abortion, pro-survivalist, anti-world-government thing on. Just identified as GCN Network with Alex Jones.

One of my favorite programs ever. It will always entertain. I don't know what's better, the content or the ads. They're all full on crazy. It's great when Alex isn't taking his meds, he just goes into these bi-polar rages where he will be talking calmly and just snap.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Doc Faustus posted:

That's WWCR's latest frequency test according to "Ask WWCR" last Saturday. The story is someone complained about WWCR interference on their old home of 5070 KHz which they had been using for years so they've been bouncing around the 4700 - 4900 KHz range testing new frequencies for coverage. The thing that sucks for DX'ers is a lot of local and regional "tropical band" stations are being squashed by these new WWCR frequencies. Hard to hear that rare African DX when Alex Jones' super signal is preaching doomsday like two channels away! I will admit though his craziness is entertaining, that gravelly voice makes him sound way older then he really is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004
I love Alex Jones dramatic pauses. Makes me think the batteries died in my radio.

"Listen up folks I have something..............................*dead air*.........................................very important to tell you all today about the new world order."

• Locked thread