Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ola posted:

I suppose the geometry is designed so that even with a slightly tight chain it won't shear off the sprocket if your rear shock should happen to bottom out? I've never heard this happen but my brain decided to get paranoid over this. edit: duh on me, you explained this perfectly already.

Also, what bad things can a loose chain do apart from slapping things in the middle?

Jump the sprockets. I've had it happen, I'm a dumbass, there's no excuse. It was on the 75 CB200 that I'm riding in my avatar...I neglected to address the old, crappy, non-oring chain that was stretching out, took it out for a ride, and it jumped the sprocket and locked the rear wheel when it jammed between the sprocket and the swingarm. :sigh:

Thankfully, i just put the bike on it's side, loosened the axle, kicked it hard enough to get some slack, and then adjusted it backwards. Problem solved! :haw:

You'll also get really bad driveline lash, as the engine takes up the slack in the chain, so you'll get a split second delay in power and then a snap/jerk as it engages.

On the flip side, if it's too tight you'll bind the chain, stopping the suspension from compressing, wear the chain excessively (or potentially break it), and wear the hell out of the output shaft bearing, which can lead to transmission damage. No good. A little loose is always better than a little tight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Awesome, thanks guys.

My new chain arrived yesterday, I'll be installing the sprockets and chain this weekend. I'll take some pics of the process and post them afterwards.

I'm not sure if I'll get the Intiminators (thanks Endless Mike) installed this weekend or not, I hope to. The installation calls for:

ricor posted:

Installation is easy. Drain the fork oil, remove the spring, drop in the Intiminator, add oil then the spring and away you go.

Do I want to replace the fork seals while I'm in there? As far as I can tell there is no way to drain the forks from the bottom, so I'll need to remove them anyway. Can I drain from the bottom? There is no evidence of leaking forks now, its more of a preventative measure. I realize it will create a shitload more work, but if its worth it, I'll do it.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande

Ola posted:

I suppose the geometry is designed so that even with a slightly tight chain it won't shear off the sprocket if your rear shock should happen to bottom out? I've never heard this happen but my brain decided to get paranoid over this. edit: duh on me, you explained this perfectly already.

Also, what bad things can a loose chain do apart from slapping things in the middle?

If you do a ton of miles, a Scottoiler or some other automatic chain oiler is worth the money. A well lubricated chain doesn't just last longer but it won't need adjusting anywhere near as often. Quite a few guys over at sv650.org report going 10,000 miles or more without needing to adjust the chain tension.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I have about 8000 miles on my current chain without adjustment needed. I run it kind of loose. Lube that poo poo every 2nd gas tank with a dry-ish teflon spray, wipe it clean with rubber and environment friendly degreaser whenever it's too dirty. Lubing the chain helps the social bonds and the parental love.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

jdonz posted:

Do I want to replace the fork seals while I'm in there? As far as I can tell there is no way to drain the forks from the bottom, so I'll need to remove them anyway. Can I drain from the bottom? There is no evidence of leaking forks now, its more of a preventative measure. I realize it will create a shitload more work, but if its worth it, I'll do it.

Nah, just do the swap. You can't drain from the bottom.

I adjust my chain when I change my tires. :smug:

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Z3n posted:

I adjust my chain after every ride and clean it by hand cause I am batshit insane :mmmsmug:

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Z3n posted:

Nah, just do the swap. You can't drain from the bottom.

take out the allen bolt holding the damper rod and they'll drain out the bottom.
but its easier to take the forks out though.
i did my fork seals when i put in the intiminators, whie you have the front disassembed you may as well.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

echomadman posted:

take out the allen bolt holding the damper rod and they'll drain out the bottom.
but its easier to take the forks out though.
i did my fork seals when i put in the intiminators, whie you have the front disassembed you may as well.

You can do that but good luck torquing the bolt back down. The intiminators don't require pulling anything besides the springs, so it's kinda eh to tear them the rest of the way down if the seals aren't leaking. Hell, I've run 40k on the same set of seals without any problems.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Hello. Today I changed my oil and filter on my sv. Stupid easy, just never had a oil pan before haha.

Next up, changing a front tire that has at least 15,000 miles on it

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Captain Apollo posted:

Hello. Today I changed my oil and filter on my sv. Stupid easy, just never had a oil pan before haha.

Next up, changing a front tire that has at least 15,000 miles on it

I thought you had abandoned us.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
No :( Felt like I abandoned Sweet Vee for the summer after I had LASIK.

It was just so god damned hot here in Texas for some reason. I just wasn't used to riding for 2 hours in HOT.

Now, minus 50 F travelling I could do in a heartbeat, for some stupid reason.....

Thanks for caring about me friends :)

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Captain Apollo posted:

No :( Felt like I abandoned Sweet Vee for the summer after I had LASIK.

It was just so god damned hot here in Texas for some reason. I just wasn't used to riding for 2 hours in HOT.

Now, minus 50 F travelling I could do in a heartbeat, for some stupid reason.....

Thanks for caring about me friends :)

Man, where were you that it was -50? :envy:

TheUltimateCool
Dec 2, 2008
Took my SV out for a spin today, because the weather in east TN got above 40 and I couldn't stand it any more.
Looks like my winterization was successful. Took a minute to crank (but I didn't mind, since I wanted to be sure of full system oil pressure before it fired) but then it ran just like normal.
I missed that V-twin sound!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Tsaven Nava posted:

Man, where were you that it was -50? :envy:

gently caress man, I didn't mean MINUS 50...I meant anything below 50.

God I feel like a pansy now

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

when i move you move, just like that

Captain Apollo posted:

Stop bein a sissy and head over towards DFW.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Captain Apollo posted:

dangerz posted:

Stop bein a sissy and head over towards DFW.

Do it.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Okay!!! I need a new tire and then im on the way

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Christ I've been reading through the first few pages of this thread....man I was a complete newb at motorcycles.

I still am a complete newb at motorcycles, but in a less obvious way ;)

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Is sub-50 degree weather riding supposed to be impressive or something? I ride all year in Connecticut (barring snow) with no fancy heated gear or even a decent windshield. Anything above 35 feels warm to me, right now.

Edit: My temp limit is probably around 25 with no heated gear.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Is sub-50 degree weather riding supposed to be impressive or something? I ride all year in Connecticut (barring snow) with no fancy heated gear or even a decent windshield. Anything above 35 feels warm to me, right now.

Different people from different regions have different tolerance levels of cold or heat. Hope that helps.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

The question should probably be something like "Am I as crazy as dietcokefiend"?

Riding a naked SV home for Thanksgiving from Ohio to Wisconsin in the freezing rain at night. :madmax:

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

dietcokefiend posted:

The question should probably be something like "Am I as crazy as dietcokefiend"?

Riding a naked SV home for Thanksgiving from Ohio to Wisconsin in the freezing rain at night. :madmax:

Being a broke college graduate, I have many similar stories of stupidity and stubborn insanity. I actually think I've had this cold for two weeks because I refuse to take a car to work and instead beat my body up on the bike every morning.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I spent 2 years in college buying pilot powers instead of a rain suit. :sigh:

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
how the heck do I remove that stupid tail light crap from the rear end of my gladius 09?

here are some pics of my Gladius... love that vtwin noise through the new pipe (yeah I'm a pic post whore)

but yeah.... any help on getting rid of that tail at the back would be greatly appreciated, my problem is the locking mechanism to pop the seat off is sort of set like halfway down it, so I'm going to have to start conjuring up a plan to make a quick release hook or something. Also plan on powder-coating the sides black as well so eventually the only thing that isn't going to be black is the pipe itself.

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 2, 2010

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
Ahh i miss the GOR and the Black Spur. :(

Still, nice bike though! That exhaust, isn't it a little petite? heh *looks at giant yoshi can*

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It doesn't matter as much on Gladiuses since the exhaust is running through a cat, anyway.

xkem posted:

how the heck do I remove that stupid tail light crap from the rear end of my gladius 09?

Buy one of these:
http://www.evotech-performance.com/acatalog/info_7276.html

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Yeah, for my ndxt trick I'm getting rid of that.

Cheers for the link

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Son of a bitch. Brake switch on the front is on the fritz. Getting the bike back together to a ride this weekend and the thing is working partially. I am pretty sure it isnt the connection so perhaps the switch itself. What is the average lifespan on those? Mine is 2 years and has ~15,000 miles or so in some rough weather. are those bastards sensitive to being not used for a few months?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I've never had one fail, across 150k miles and 15 bikes. My 50k ZX6E and my 140k SV didn't have them fail. Maybe your bike just sucks.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

dietcokefiend posted:

Son of a bitch. Brake switch on the front is on the fritz. Getting the bike back together to a ride this weekend and the thing is working partially. I am pretty sure it isnt the connection so perhaps the switch itself. What is the average lifespan on those? Mine is 2 years and has ~15,000 miles or so in some rough weather. are those bastards sensitive to being not used for a few months?

Is it a fluid pressure switch or an old school moving contact switch? My old school switch goes on the fritz about every oil change. Open it up, clean it out with a dab of WD-40, good until the next oil change.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Z3n posted:

I've never had one fail, across 150k miles and 15 bikes. My 50k ZX6E and my 140k SV didn't have them fail. Maybe your bike just sucks.

:negative: Dont give the SV any bad ideas... I don't need it to turn into my ZX

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Another youthful indiscretion
Changed my own oil for the first time today. Managed to strip the threads on the oil pan. Goddammit. Guys at the shop (who sold me the oil and filter a couple weeks ago) said they'll augur it out and install new threading. Guess I'm paying the stupid tax on this one, but at least I managed to do the filter properly.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Am I dumb for thinking the oil pan is what goes under the bike and collects the oil?

What's the oil pan??

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Thinkin' he stripped the threads on the oil drain bolt. I'm not sure the SV engine has a proper pan (the flat bit on the bottom of a car engine that most of the oil drains to when not running, aka the sump).

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Phy posted:

Thinkin' he stripped the threads on the oil drain bolt. I'm not sure the SV engine has a proper pan (the flat bit on the bottom of a car engine that most of the oil drains to when not running, aka the sump).

Ya it is quite easy to strip the oil drain bolt if you overtighten it. That's why they recommend using a new crush washer for each change.

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Another youthful indiscretion
My bad, dunno what I meant to say in that last post. I stripped a thread off the bolt and several threads off the aluminum casing into which the bolt screws. Shop called today and mentioned that the oil I'd just put in was shot too, too many little bits of aluminum in it. Three pints of Motul down the drain on top of the labor. $200 dollar oil change, all told. Sigh.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I did a bit of a road trip Saturday on the SV. 500 miles of interstate, boring but the bike did well and I was pretty comfortable. I'm wondering what sort of MPG people are getting on their SV650's on the interstate. Mine is a 99 naked model with a slip-on, otherwise stock and I only managed 35mpg sitting at 6000rpm all day. Also about what speed would 6k rpm be? My speedo broke a long time ago and I finally ordered a new one Friday...wondering how fast I was actually going.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

NitroSpazzz posted:

I did a bit of a road trip Saturday on the SV. 500 miles of interstate, boring but the bike did well and I was pretty comfortable. I'm wondering what sort of MPG people are getting on their SV650's on the interstate. Mine is a 99 naked model with a slip-on, otherwise stock and I only managed 35mpg sitting at 6000rpm all day. Also about what speed would 6k rpm be? My speedo broke a long time ago and I finally ordered a new one Friday...wondering how fast I was actually going.

I'm not sure of my mpg interstate. I'll have to make sure to record what I get next time I slab it for a while. The thing is 35 mpg is pretty terrible, that's getting into car territory. If that's what I've been getting I'll be surprised.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

NitroSpazzz posted:

At 6k in sixth gear I'm doing roughly 80mph on an 04 naked. Its been a long time since I've checked but I used to average between around 45mpg, with a high of 51 and a low in the low 40s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

poo poo nevermind that crappy mileage I mentioned. I forgot that one receipt was from before leaving just topping off the tank so I could see what MPG I got. With that one gone I managed just over 46mpg which I am much happier with.

• Locked thread