Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

thArf posted:

The only problem I see with this are the live 7 and standard level users (no operator etc).
Flatten any virtual instruments or plugins that aren't standard with Live to audio before passing it on to the next person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

thArf posted:

How would you guys feel about doing a group track where we each take a couple days on a project then pass it along to the next guy who will add some stuff then repeat?

If hosting is a problem I can set up a public ftp with excellent transfer rates. (The file will surely be above 200 megs quickly.)

I think it would be fun and people who don't want to contribute can still download and dissect the liveset.

The only problem I see with this are the live 7 and standard level users (no operator etc).

Input!

In for this. And as the previous poster said, flatten added tracks before passing on. Sounds like fun!

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
I wanna do that.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
I'd like to participate too :) As far as I know though, Live 8.1.1 project files are no longer compatible with older versions.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Also running 8.1.1 but still have 7.16 installed

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

I'm on 8.1.1 only, no 7.x installed anymore.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
Might be interested, and I'm on 8.1

thArf
Oct 9, 2009
I have 8.0.3, if I make a project and you guys open and save it, will I lose the ability to open it? I have been able to open all the als files from ableton.com

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

thArf posted:

I have 8.0.3, if I make a project and you guys open and save it, will I lose the ability to open it? I have been able to open all the als files from ableton.com

It won't open.

thArf
Oct 9, 2009
Terrible =( it's going to be a couple months before I can upgrade - I'm a little low on the $$.

Not as fun - but we could work on exported audio tracks so anyone on any DAW can contribute.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Figured out my problem.

Apparently Live has a tendency to freak the gently caress out when you've got multiple 90-minute audio tracks with hundreds of cuts and fades in them (postproduction dialogue editing). Flattening the track solved the problem.

Live also starts chugging during playback of those sets (visually only, audio doesn't drop) because of it having to resample the waveform image when zooming in and out or sliding it around. Folding unused tracks helps this.

I know this isn't a hardware problem since I've got a fat processor and video card, and this has happened under OSX/Win7 and older versions of Live as well.

So, for those of you doing postproduction and need to manage resources, flatten your tracks scene by scene when you're done with them, and fold any tracks you aren't using. It doesn't matter how much hardware you have it seems, as Live wasn't designed to deal with multiple waveform images of that size. Your CPU or disk meter will never be too full, but I'm guessing because of Live's "never stop" playback idea, it gets way too overloaded trying to hold those hundreds of clips with fades and cuts in them and ends up crashing.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

thArf posted:

Terrible =( it's going to be a couple months before I can upgrade - I'm a little low on the $$.

Not as fun - but we could work on exported audio tracks so anyone on any DAW can contribute.

8.1 is a free upgrade. :confused:

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

squidgee posted:

8.1 is a free upgrade. :confused:

I assume he's talking about from 7, 8.0 is still pretty new

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.

mezzir posted:

I assume he's talking about from 7, 8.0 is still pretty new

He said he has 8.0.3 so it should be okay

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Plastic Snake posted:

He said he has 8.0.3 so it should be okay

Aah true, didn't see that was him on the earlier post. nvm then :)

*Commando_Elite*
Jan 19, 2001
Anyone got an opinion on the Novation Launchpad versus the Akai APC40 as a first Live controller. I'm still in the learning stage and want something to play around with a bit outside of just the keyboard and mouse.

Also, does anyone with either of these controllers know if I could potentially use them to play the software synthesizers with? I know I can play drum racks with the Launchpad, and with the APC40 with some extra configuration, but I'd also like the option to play synth sounds with whatever controller I get.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

*Commando_Elite* posted:

Also, does anyone with either of these controllers know if I could potentially use them to play the software synthesizers with? I know I can play drum racks with the Launchpad, and with the APC40 with some extra configuration, but I'd also like the option to play synth sounds with whatever controller I get.

You should get your hands on a proper MIDI keyboard if you're at all serious.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

I'm down for a collab as well. I'm doing a song a month project right now to learn the ropes with ableton and so far it's fun as hell. My APC40 is on the way so I can start my live setup, it should be interesting enough.

https://www.thedisconnect.bandcamp.com

thArf
Oct 9, 2009
Ok I am in the process of upgrading to 8.1 so that solves that problem. Do I have to uninstall 8.0.3?

I was thinking like an hour or a half hour long arrangement that each person has a small section of that is intended to flow into a single mix. You can make changes to other people's parts but its up to you to contribute a bit of new material.

We should also add in some clips that can be used in conjunction with the arrangement somehow.

*Commando_Elite*
Jan 19, 2001

Cyne posted:

You should get your hands on a proper MIDI keyboard if you're at all serious.

So something more like the Novation 25 SL MkII would be better?

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

*Commando_Elite* posted:

So something more like the Novation 25 SL MkII would be better?

Well... it depends on your priorities. If a Launchpad or APC40 is something you think you're really going to want, it might be best to get one of those and supplement it with a cheaper MIDI controller for the time being. You can always trade up for something better later. Again, it depends what your goals are here. If you just want to tap out some drum beats and trigger a few clips then the pads you get on MIDI controllers are fine, but for live performance and more sophisticated control they fall short. This is a matter of personal taste but I don't really believe in all-in-one pieces of gear - I think you should get a MIDI controller for your software instruments and something else for working with the program on a larger scale.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

thArf posted:

Ok I am in the process of upgrading to 8.1 so that solves that problem. Do I have to uninstall 8.0.3?
You don't have to uninstall prior versions. The update is actually the full version of Live, that will be installed in a separate folder automatically. You could then connect the new version to your old library and then uninstall the old version if you don't need it anymore. If you save your old 8.0.3 projects under 8.1.1 though, you won't be able to open them anymore in older versions of Live.

Rakshas
Jun 7, 2003
Oompa Loompa Extraordinarie
Is there a VST or something that simulates real scratching? Doesn't have to be terribly realistic, I just don't want to invest in hardware to do this.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Rakshas posted:

Is there a VST or something that simulates real scratching? Doesn't have to be terribly realistic, I just don't want to invest in hardware to do this.

Traktor is pretty good for this, but scratching with a mouse is pretty weird. I'm kind of in the same boat (I want scratchin' in my music) but I plan to just get a single cheap turntable off Ebay or something. :)

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Rakshas posted:

not really...

post it up and what you want done with it and ill do it.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Does anyone know of a good, reasonably priced drum sampler? I've used Battery in the past, and really like it, but don't have the money to splash out for a copy for the time being.

edit: ok....never mind....I completely forgot that Live came with Simpler. It's bare bones, but it'll do the trick!

an actual cat irl fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 2, 2010

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

moron posted:

Does anyone know of a good, reasonably priced drum sampler? I've used Battery in the past, and really like it, but don't have the money to splash out for a copy for the time being.

edit: ok....never mind....I completely forgot that Live came with Simpler. It's bare bones, but it'll do the trick!

Not only that, but Drum Rack - you can always split a loop into a rack and use it that way, which is effective and awesome.

edit:

moron posted:

Best username / post combo of the thread. :D

Rakshas
Jun 7, 2003
Oompa Loompa Extraordinarie

oredun posted:

post it up and what you want done with it and ill do it.

You're awesome, but that would be stealing all the fun away from the process.

EDIT: maybe just recommend a process? Is there hardware that interfaces with ableton so I can just scratch over a sample or something. I'm searching for keywords to search for here but my vocabulary is limited.

Rakshas fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 2, 2010

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

sofullofhate posted:

Not only that, but Drum Rack - you can always split a loop into a rack and use it that way, which is effective and awesome.

edit:

Best username / post combo of the thread. :D

I know......it serves me right for not fully investigating the package before posting. :) Seriously, though....Simpler is pretty great. It does everything I need.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I need a more in-depth MIDI mapper for ableton (or maybe I'm just not doing it right?)

Here's an example of what I'm doing:

• I've got three separate drum racks set up, each one is loaded with different samples (vocal samples).
  • I'm using my GK-to-MIDI guitar to trigger the samples loaded in one rack by having that rack record enabled.
  • I've mapped certain buttons on my Art X-15 MIDI pedal to record enable the other two drum racks at will, effectively switching which bank of samples I'm playing off of.

This is where my problem comes up. If I'm playing from drumrack #1 and hit record enable for drumrack #2, I'd like drumrack #1 to disengage simultaneously, but instead I now I'm controlling two samplebanks simultaneously and have to go back and hit the switch for drumrack #1 to disable. Not really something that seems like a huge problem, but for the presentation my group is making in a few weeks, I'll need to switch between drumracks on the fly and could do without having to make excess fancy footwork (I'm also controlling at least two CV expression pedals, possible two more, and another MIDI pedal if need be, so I need a little more flexibility with regard to MIDI mapping in live.)

I'm using 7 if it makes a difference.

I bet this is something Max for Live would be able to do, right? Take a bunch of logic oriented commands to perform multiple tasks at one single time?

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 2, 2010

thArf
Oct 9, 2009

Rakshas posted:

scratch

Get virtual dj and a timecoded vinyl with a preamp into your computer.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I have a Vestax VCI-100 controller + Traktor, and it's okay for basic scratches/cuts but honestly for anything more than that you need a full on turntable -- having the TT motor providing tension is a big big part of scratching.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
so I have a bunch of files that utilize random samples from all over my hard drive. is there a way to condense everything into one file so I can cleanly transport a single song/set to a laptop with ableton loaded, and then plug and play there without having to deal with a mess of finding lost samples?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Chim posted:

so I have a bunch of files that utilize random samples from all over my hard drive. is there a way to condense everything into one file so I can cleanly transport a single song/set to a laptop with ableton loaded, and then plug and play there without having to deal with a mess of finding lost samples?

Yup. For each set, go to the File menu and select "Collect Files and Save". Viola - all samples / patches / etc. collected into the Set's directory and saved.

Edit: just read your post. :downs: This will collect all the samples into the Set's folder, anyway, and then you can copy the Set's folder. Nearly as good I hope.

HandlingByJebus fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 4, 2010

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

sofullofhate posted:

Yup. For each set, go to the File menu and select "Collect Files and Save". Viola - all samples / patches / etc. collected into the Set's directory and saved.

Yeah but what if the project is more than small stringed instruments?

thArf
Oct 9, 2009

h_double posted:

Yeah but what if the project is more than small stringed instruments?

It will save all the files used so something like a DJ set also applies. I use this feature all the time.

Lewk
May 22, 2001

We've got Armadillos in our trousers. It's really quite frightening.

Lewk posted:

I've also just plumped for the sensitivity kit enhancer on ebay. I figured I may as well give it a go, as I don't use the pads often given how hard I have to hit them and the noise it makes on the desk I can't hear the goddamn drums properly anyway.

And i just installed it. I like it, I prefer the feel of the pads - more resistance and they trigger when I expect them to, so I dont have to hit them as hard. Hurrah.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

thArf posted:

It will save all the files used so something like a DJ set also applies. I use this feature all the time.

His response was tongue-in-cheek since I played the "VIOLA IS A FUNNY TYPO FOR VOILA" card. Violas are "small stringed instruments".

With us now? :)

HandlingByJebus fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 4, 2010

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
You can also create an .alp file (Ableton Live Package) by going to File -> Manage Files, then click on Manage Project. An .alp is sort of like a zip file, you will then have to unpack it to re-use, but it's a good way to archive your projects for backups or transfer between people.

Sections 5.9 - 5.13 of your Live manual talk about all this in more detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
sweet, thanks for the help guys! i've got a live show coming up during unofficial SXSW, so i'm trying to get all my gear in order and rock out to the best of my ability.