Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Weedle posted:

Betrayal at Krondor was released as freeware some years ago, and can be downloaded from Abandonia and run in DOSBox: http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/208/Betrayal+at+Krondor.html

:dance:

Thanks a bunch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Good Old Games is right up there with STEAM as one of my most beloved gaming services. Being able to replay all the games I owned as a kid and some of those I've wanted to play for my entire life is an incredible experience.

Sacrifice, Interstate '76, Messiah and Duke Nukem 3d, all for the price of a night on the tiles? It's almost stupid. I love the fact there's additional goodies like wallpapers and that. I'm using the Sacrifice wallpaper as my desktop :3:

Sure some games might take a bit of tweaking to work (Interstate '76 in particular has a few bugbears) but the community and forums are generally really helpful in getting things to work, and it's great to see people who love and remember the games alongside you.

Now they just need the entire Carmageddon series, Die By The Sword, Little Big Adventure and Outcast up on there. It's inevitable.

VV :aaa: How did I miss that? I love you.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 2, 2010

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits

Songbearer posted:

Now they just need the entire Carmageddon series, Die By The Sword, Little Big Adventure and Outcast up on there. It's inevitable.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/die_by_the_sword_expansion ?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

raezr posted:

If you haven't played Phantasmagoria 2, just save yourself the frustration and $6 and watch this let's play http://spoonyexperiment.com/category/phantasmagoria/

Was just going to post this. Spoony and his game reviews are amazing.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Songbearer posted:

Oh man, I'd love to have a version of Outcast that works without any monkeying around. That game was amazing. VOXELS!

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

al-azad posted:

The version Sierra did release for free was only the floppy but the cd version has nothing major except better quality music and a making-of video.

Even the better quality cd-audio music really isn't these days with the advancements in MIDI synthesis. Hell, in Dosbox on my Mac, I set the music to play through the roland MT-32 emulator. It gets passed through CoreAudio, which uses the same midi patches as Garageband. It's wonderful! :sax:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

xarph posted:

Even the better quality cd-audio music really isn't these days with the advancements in MIDI synthesis. Hell, in Dosbox on my Mac, I set the music to play through the roland MT-32 emulator. It gets passed through CoreAudio, which uses the same midi patches as Garageband. It's wonderful! :sax:

Yeah, that's on a Mac. If there's a good way to use decent samples in Windows without getting a Creative Labs card or something, I'm not aware of it.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
I'm very interested in the Red Baron one as I had Red Baron II, which was a buggy piece of dookie but they gave me a free upgrade to Red Baron 3D when it came out which ROCKED.

The only thing - my old Logitech Wingman stick was great for that game as it just had the trigger, thumb button, and a sliding switch I used for a throttle. The stick is the old school 15-pin plug type that would plug into my sound card.

I have a much newer computer these days - can someone recommend me a 15-pin to USB converter which works well in this type of situation? I don't really want to buy another stick if I can avoid it as I liked the way the old one works with the simple controls of the game.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

WescottF1 posted:

I'm very interested in the Red Baron one as I had Red Baron II, which was a buggy piece of dookie but they gave me a free upgrade to Red Baron 3D when it came out which ROCKED.

The only thing - my old Logitech Wingman stick was great for that game as it just had the trigger, thumb button, and a sliding switch I used for a throttle. The stick is the old school 15-pin plug type that would plug into my sound card.

I have a much newer computer these days - can someone recommend me a 15-pin to USB converter which works well in this type of situation? I don't really want to buy another stick if I can avoid it as I liked the way the old one works with the simple controls of the game.

A cursory Google search turns this up, although I can't vouch for how well it works.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

WescottF1 posted:

Red Baron is one of the best games Ive ever played, and is wayy better than Red Baron 2. Ive played the poo poo out of it when I was a kid, it was one of the first games I owned.

It was so hard it took me weeks just to get the plane of the ground, every mission was exciting, scarty, dangerous. Fighting zepellins was a blast. Even the box and the manual were awesome: a huge manual filled with histgorical facts about WWI air combat and great pictures.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Elias_Maluco posted:

Red Baron is one of the best games Ive ever played, and is wayy better than Red Baron 2. Ive played the poo poo out of it when I was a kid, it was one of the first games I owned.

It was so hard it took me weeks just to get the plane of the ground, every mission was exciting, scarty, dangerous. Fighting zepellins was a blast. Even the box and the manual were awesome: a huge manual filled with histgorical facts about WWI air combat and great pictures.

Holy poo poo! I just looked at the manual, which I never bothered doing after buying the game, and it's loving amazing! I never bothered to look at it before as I figured that there wouldn't be much in it and I used to play the game like gently caress as a kid and thus knew almost everything anyhow.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, and props to gog.com!

Now to get my reading on :fap:

Edit: Also, Red Baron 1 is amazing. One of my most favourite games as well.

Double Edit:

God drat. If only Dynamix were still around. :smith:

cool new Metroid game fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 3, 2010

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

raezr posted:

If you haven't played Phantasmagoria 2, just save yourself the frustration and $6 and watch this let's play http://spoonyexperiment.com/category/phantasmagoria/page/2/
This is hilarious!

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
Return to Krondor is up for $5.99!

It's an early 3D game and it looks it, but it should be worth a look if you're a fan of Raymond Feist and/or Betrayal.

frowning
Aug 10, 2005

The Dire and Ever Circling Wolves
What's so bad about Call to Power 2 then? I played it loads when it came out. I also feel bad about not buying I76 now it's actually out.

CaudaVenenus
Sep 17, 2004

Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you.

frowning posted:

What's so bad about Call to Power 2 then? I played it loads when it came out. I also feel bad about not buying I76 now it's actually out.

I only played Call to Power 1 so maybe they fixed it but the main issue with that one was the tons of special, non combat units it had. Some of them were interesting and balanced, but a few were outrageously exploited by the AI and extremely annoying rather than challenging. The lawyer was the most reviled, it could stop the production of any city indefinitely and could only be killed by another lawyer without starting a war. Near the middle-to-late game, there would routinely be dozens of them roaming your empire.

Also for some reason fascism was the best form of government for most of the game and gave you access to one of the most powerful and cheapest combat unit.

It did have some good ideas though. Space and sea colonies were mostly a gimmick since by the time you could get them the game was usually all but decided, but combat had a feature I thought was neat where it took into account the range of a unit : if you had swordsmen, archers and catapults in a stack, they would fight all together but arranged in three lines and if the enemy only had contact units, the catapults would get a free shot, then the archers, and only then would the close range units step in.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

I know it's not GoG, but they're certainly good games at a great price:

AI War & Zenith Remnant + Gratuitous Space Battles & The Tribe + Solium Infernum all together for $49.99 this weekend only! Get the pack here.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

CaudaVenenus posted:

I only played Call to Power 1 so maybe they fixed it but the main issue with that one was the tons of special, non combat units it had. Some of them were interesting and balanced, but a few were outrageously exploited by the AI and extremely annoying rather than challenging. The lawyer was the most reviled, it could stop the production of any city indefinitely and could only be killed by another lawyer without starting a war. Near the middle-to-late game, there would routinely be dozens of them roaming your empire.

Also for some reason fascism was the best form of government for most of the game and gave you access to one of the most powerful and cheapest combat unit.

It did have some good ideas though. Space and sea colonies were mostly a gimmick since by the time you could get them the game was usually all but decided, but combat had a feature I thought was neat where it took into account the range of a unit : if you had swordsmen, archers and catapults in a stack, they would fight all together but arranged in three lines and if the enemy only had contact units, the catapults would get a free shot, then the archers, and only then would the close range units step in.

Is that the version with the spy that could cause untold havoc? I loved that game. I made a massive sea empire.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

FLX posted:

I know it's not GoG, but they're certainly good games at a great price:

AI War & Zenith Remnant + Gratuitous Space Battles & The Tribe + Solium Infernum all together for $49.99 this weekend only! Get the pack here.

This seems more appropriate to be in the Steam thread.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

This seems more appropriate to be in the Steam thread.

Actually we could probably do with an indie games megathread these days.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Ansob. posted:

Agreed.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Ansob. posted:

i would bookmark that poo poo so fast

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
It'd degenerate into art game yelling in minutes

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Agreed.

Weedle posted:

i would bookmark that poo poo so fast

So theoretically speaking if someone were to make an indie games megathread which games should be featured in the OP?

Sorry for temporarily hijacking the thread, but I figure I might as well lay the groundwork for keeping random indie games out of the GOG thread. ;)

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Ansob. posted:

So theoretically speaking if someone were to make an indie games megathread which games should be featured in the OP?

Sorry for temporarily hijacking the thread, but I figure I might as well lay the groundwork for keeping random indie games out of the GOG thread. ;)

Some indie games that I enjoyed:
Flotilla (small-scale, simultaneous turn-based space battles)
AI War: Fleet Command (large scale, RTS space battles)
Gratitous Space Battles (gratitous space battles)
Solium Infernum (Diplomacy set in Hell)
Windosill (artsy point and click puzzle/adventure)
UnReal World (survival rogue-like)
Gridrunner Revolutions (similar to Geometry Wars)
Space giraffe (a seizure-inducing shooter like Tempest)

And maybe Defcon, Darwinia and Uplink

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 4, 2010

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Braid and Flower are the first things that come to mind for me, though Flower's a PS3 exclusive.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
Aquaria, Defense Grid and World of Goo are other big ones. Also that TD with the great story I can never remember the name of.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
Altitude, Defense Grid, Nation Red, Trine, Mr. Robot, Darwinia...

There's a fuckton of good ones.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Ansob. posted:

Off the top of my head:
Machinarium
Aaaaa! A Reckless Disregard for Gravity
AI War: Fleet Command
Aquaria
Armageddon Empires
Audiosurf
Ben There, Dan That!
Braid
Darwinia
DEFCON: Everybody Dies
Defense Grid: The Awakening
Gratuitous Space Battles
Immortal Defense
Mount & Blade
Mr. Robot
Solium Infernum
Time Gentlemen, Please!
Trials 2: Second Edition
Torchlight
Uplink
VVVVVV
World of Goo

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I went to the page, and the first game that came to my mind wasn't there :smith:

Dang you Dr Drago's Madcap Chase! When will you be mine?!

...still, Heroes of Might and Magic 2 is looking mighty fine...

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Dr Drago's Madcap Chase was fun, but the combination of the loan card and the zero-debt card broke the game pretty bad.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

kissekatt posted:

Dr Drago's Madcap Chase was fun, but the combination of the loan card and the zero-debt card broke the game pretty bad.

I guess if you were playing with other people you had to make a commitment to just selling those cards at the first chance you get. I honestly don't recall them being that bad tho.. but it HAS been over a decade.

Right now I'm hovering over buying Arcanum or Psychonauts. Both are great and underrated, and I never got a chance to properly finish the latter.

Edit: C... Constructor? Is that you, old buddy 'ol pal? :unsmith:

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 4, 2010

Lamacq
Jun 15, 2001

Breezeblock RIP
Guys dont forget Osmos

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I guess I'll get working on an OP for that indie gaming megathread tomorrow, then.

Ta.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

evilmiera posted:

I honestly don't recall them being that bad tho.. but it HAS been over a decade.
Basically, there were a few places where each property cost several million each iirc. You used the loan card to buy all the property in that place, putting you deep in the red, and the debt clearing card to do away with the negative, netting you tens of millions plus all the rent you will be collecting from what you bought.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ansob. posted:

I guess I'll get working on an OP for that indie gaming megathread tomorrow, then.

Ta.

There should be some guidelines to keep it from veering into freeware territory or game-made-by-small-company-but-owned-and-published-by-big-company-like-Shadow-Complex-or-Flower-are. I'd say A) the game has to be self published and available through the developer and/or offered through a distribution system like steam/psn/xbl/wiiware, and B) the game had to have been on sale at one point or another.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Ansob. posted:

Ta.

Please link to that topic in here so I can mark it, thanks.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

No mention of Spelunky, tsk tsk. Spelunky dominated 2009 for me as innovative and fun game of the year. Anything that takes the best bits of roguelikes and shoehorns them into something this accessible, but still punishingly difficult earns my respect. It's free on the PC, and a for-pay XBLA version is in the works.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Charles Barkley Shut up and Jam: Gaiden!

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Weekend promo: 25% off Uru and Real Myst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarkhan
Feb 25, 2008
Another missed indie game: Crayon Physics Deluxe.