Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jabs posted:

I couldn't get more than about three and a half minutes into it before I had to shut it off.

I had to go watch this video of an RG500 (except I think some goon confirmed it as some variety of Yamaha?) again, just to get the awful out of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Z3n posted:

That seriously looks like hell on earth...is there anything worse than crawling along at 15 mph in your overloaded touring bike? That you trailered there? Jesus.

At in India when it's that crowded everyone is still doing 90mph. On scooters.

I do not get the appeal of giant cruiser conventions like Bike Week and Sturgis.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Tsaven Nava posted:

At in India when it's that crowded everyone is still doing 90mph. On scooters.

I do not get the appeal of giant cruiser conventions like Bike Week and Sturgis.

It's like an anime convention, except with harleys. Same people, same attitude.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jack the Smack posted:

It's like an anime convention, except with harleys. Same people, same attitude.

that reminds me of the bike show I went to at the Metro Toronto Convention Center where organizers had managed to also book an anime convention. One of the main exits from the bike show happened to go through the lobby area for the anime convention. The looks on the faces of all the big bad bikers coming down the escalator into a throng of cosplaying teenage nerds was priceless.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Hmmmm... This would be nice. Too bad I don't have a bronco to trade, and what's a buttfor?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That's quite a bit too much money for a non-running RSV. Unless you can trade a buttfor for it.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Hmmmm... This would be nice. Too bad I don't have a bronco to trade, and what's a buttfor?

Pooping. :haw:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Phy posted:

I had to go watch this video of an RG500 (except I think some goon confirmed it as some variety of Yamaha?) again, just to get the awful out of my head.

I've had the dutch site's version bookmarked for a while. It's been my motorcycling happy place. :allears:

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Coredump posted:

I'm just jealous at the sheer amount of people they have riding on two wheels over there. Can you just imagine the possibilities if we could get more people on two wheels in the US?

Any time you think about how cool it would be to daily drive in India/Pakistan, remember this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjrEQaG5jPM

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

MrKatharsis posted:

Any time you think about how cool it would be to daily drive in India/Pakistan, remember this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjrEQaG5jPM

35 seconds into that video at the bottom right, look at the pedestrian! He's all casual the whole time too.

I think the problem in that lies in the lack of real traffic legislation, not with the vehicles.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

MrKatharsis posted:

drat, I work with a guy from India that I regularly joke with about him crashing a moped three times. He told me it's rougher in India because there are a lot of potholes!

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I actually came across the word 'butfor' in a case study I had to do for class. Finally figured out where that joke came from. I'm smert!

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

MrKatharsis posted:

I lived in India for a few months, and had a little 80cc Honda scooter for daily transportation. That video isn't really accurate about what driving there is like.

It's actually much worse.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003
Could be worse. You could live here

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
Jesus christ.

Where I live, if someone is doing the speed limit instead of 5-10 over, I consider it 'traffic'.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It kinda looks like that in a lot of places along I-5 between Olympia and Everett, too. Too many drat people, man.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Slim Pickens posted:

It kinda looks like that in a lot of places along I-5 between Olympia and Everett, too. Too many drat people, man.

Agreed. Entirely too many people in this area.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ari.gato posted:

Could be worse. You could live here
Whatever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8IIgIdp-Pk

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

there's some good youtube videos of filtering through London traffic, if I ever set up a video rig I'll take some myself.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Endless Mike posted:

Whatever.
Nope. The *worst* traffic I've ever seen is (was? It was August of 1999 and 2000 when I was out there) on the 91 in various spots in Riverside County and out near Anaheim.

Everyone cruises along at 75-80 in a 55. Even Great Great Grandma in her Buick. Then, out of the blue, everyone *PANIC STOPS*, and you crawl along for a half mile or so at 10-15 MPH, then, just as out of the blue, everyone races away back up to 75.

No accident, no stall, no obvious cause of the slowdown. Just...magic poo poo your pants brake check zones every so often.

On the other hand, for the last 8 years or so, when I've (rarely) had the unfortunate circumstance to find myself on I-25 during rush hour, I've used this guy's theories and practices, and have found that they do seem to work:
A) I rarely, if ever, come to a complete stop, even if everyone else does.
B) It's only the occasional person who will get impatient and get out of my lane - and I usually re-pass them within a couple of minutes.
C) It's a 'game' to see if I can get where I'm going without stopping. It keeps me entertained and upbeat in an otherwise lovely situation.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Jabs posted:

On the other hand, for the last 8 years or so, when I've (rarely) had the unfortunate circumstance to find myself on I-25 during rush hour, I've used this guy's theories and practices, and have found that they do seem to work:
B) It's only the occasional person who will get impatient and get out of my lane - and I usually re-pass them within a couple of minutes.
C) It's a 'game' to see if I can get where I'm going without stopping. It keeps me entertained and upbeat in an otherwise lovely situation.

That's a really interesting site. However, there is one major flaw with his reasoning when it comes to merges: He makes the assumption that the number of cars arriving on the scene doesn't physically overflow the limits of the freeway that's been reduced a number of lanes. In some cases, there are physically too many cars to move to a "2 second gap" without causing an additional bottleneck behind you as people come to a complete stop to maintain the gap. So you're transfering the bottleneck backwards because the freeway is simply already at max capacity.

The rest of it is fascinating though, and very interesting.

I'm laughing all the way though, as I split through. Splitting gives you an awesome perspective on how moronic most traffic patterns are.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Z3n posted:

That's a really interesting site. However, there is one major flaw with his reasoning when it comes to merges: He makes the assumption that the number of cars arriving on the scene doesn't physically overflow the limits of the freeway that's been reduced a number of lanes. In some cases, there are physically too many cars to move to a "2 second gap" without causing an additional bottleneck behind you as people come to a complete stop to maintain the gap. So you're transfering the bottleneck backwards because the freeway is simply already at max capacity.

I'm not sure if you read most of the site, because he answered these questions half way through my reading. He takes what was a strong bottleneck, and fuzzes it out over a larger area. He also says he's not totally sure if it actually speeds up traffic, but he claims that most people, including himself, would prefer going at 15mph under the speed limit for 40 minutes than to be going at 60mph for twenty minutes, then 10 mph for 20 minutes. On top of that, it saves gas to cruise at speeds with a fuzzed out bottleneck than a strong bottleneck.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jack the Smack posted:

I'm not sure if you read most of the site, because he answered these questions half way through my reading. He takes what was a strong bottleneck, and fuzzes it out over a larger area. He also says he's not totally sure if it actually speeds up traffic, but he claims that most people, including himself, would prefer going at 15mph under the speed limit for 40 minutes than to be going at 60mph for twenty minutes, then 10 mph for 20 minutes. On top of that, it saves gas to cruise at speeds with a fuzzed out bottleneck than a strong bottleneck.

I was referring to the merging section at the bottom, not the bottlenecking part. I already did, to some degree, what he talks about with spacing because when I'm in the truck I hate shifting a whole bunch, I'd rather just cruise along in 2nd gear. But his merging part makes the assumption that there is enough space for all the cars on the road to maintain a 2 second gap so that they can comfortable merge at speed, when in reality, that's usually not the case.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Usually not the case when cars are moving slow and they bunch up, but if they're moving faster they usually space out, making merging easier.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Why yes, that is a cd player in her head.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

schreibs posted:

Pass the milk plus, my droog.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Whatever.

HAHA. Funny you should post this. I moved here to LA from DC two years ago. The traffic there sucks a fat one too; Although personally I think LA's traffic is worse.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Coming from LA, that is not traffic. You're moving. Imagine a 100 mile by 100 mile city wherein every major artery is like that or worse.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Z3n posted:

I'm laughing all the way though, as I split through. Splitting gives you an awesome perspective on how moronic most traffic patterns are.

I am quite honestly considering moving to Northern California just for the splitting.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Tsaven Nava posted:

I am quite honestly considering moving to Northern California just for the splitting.

Worth it.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

schreibs posted:

Boy would it be awkward to deal with the police if you crash while riding that.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

kylej posted:

Boy would it be awkward to deal with the police if you crash while riding that.

I can't help but think that the TV/CD player should be playing daft punk, all the time.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

schreibs posted:

Nah, look at what its hand is holding. I think 'her' is a he.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
The end of the first street ride of 2010!! I didn't die and it was awesome to get back on the bike again.

Tucked away in it's amazingly cluttered home, safe and sound. And completely filthy :q:

sport tires really suck rear end in the snow.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Crazy man!

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

lancemantis posted:

Crazy man!

:)

It was amazingly fun. Probably going to do the same thing tomorrow.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Dubs posted:

Nah, look at what its hand is holding. I think 'her' is a he.

Haha. This pics new nickname is Princess Double Dicks because he/she has to be holding on to something on the other side.

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009

Click here for the full 1600x1202 image.

After painting the rear cowling+gas tank. I need to polish them again :|

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Jabs posted:

I've tried this a lot in Texas and it just doesn't work. 80% of drivers will pull out in front of you and fill the gap, even if it doesn't put them any farther ahead. People are attracted to traffic gaps like bugs to a light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

hayden. posted:

I've tried this a lot in Texas and it just doesn't work. 80% of drivers will pull out in front of you and fill the gap, even if it doesn't put them any farther ahead. People are attracted to traffic gaps like bugs to a light.

I've said it before and I'll stick to it. DFW drivers don't drive aggressively, they drive maliciously.