Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Dr_Amazing posted:

For noir movies I also recommend "DOA"
:smith: I want to report a murder.
:ohdear: Who was murdered?
:smith: I was.

DUN DUN DUUUUN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Dr_Amazing posted:

Surely the best classic noir to feature a slide whistle.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Any experts on Korean movies in here? A guy I know got this dvd box and he'd like to figure out the title of the film.

Click here for the full 550x733 image.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Buffis fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 2, 2010

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Buffis posted:

Any experts on Korean movies in here? A guy I know got this dvd box and he'd like to figure out the title of the film.

Click here for the full 550x733 image.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

It's called "Once Upon a Time in a Battlefield" (2003). I'm not an expert on Korean Cinema, but man I can google! :)

Muley
Apr 20, 2008

by Tiny Fistpump
there was a thread here not long ago about some african movie, possibly sci-fi. maybe from zimbabwe or nigeria. seemed like an art film, there was a picture of a black guy with antlers on a blue wall. any help would be appreciated, thanks.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Muley posted:

there was a thread here not long ago about some african movie, possibly sci-fi. maybe from zimbabwe or nigeria. seemed like an art film, there was a picture of a black guy with antlers on a blue wall. any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Still got the wrong thread, chief.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2177344

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

SuperKlaus posted:

Hi, I have a sudden need for film noir movies. I'm looking for the noir-est of noir: dames, goons, Mr. Big, the whole nine yards. Cheesy is acceptable. What should I see?

Nobody mention The Big Lebowski yet?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Zwille posted:

Pfft.

I've been watching shitloads of noir lately, and there's a bunch more I could add to my list, but one is an absolute must-see: The Lineup. loving awesome.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Did everyone back in the sixties have Bill Shatner's exact rhythm and intonation or was it just William Sylvester?

Psmith
May 7, 2007
The p is silent, as in phthisis, psychic, and ptarmigan.
I could have missed it but did anyone mention The Long Goodbye? It's got one of the most famous noir characters in Philip Marlowe who is played brilliantly by Elliot Gould. One of my favorite Altman movies.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Psmith posted:

I could have missed it but did anyone mention The Long Goodbye? It's got one of the most famous noir characters in Philip Marlowe who is played brilliantly by Elliot Gould. One of my favorite Altman movies.
It's a good film (although one I can't quite bring myself to actually enjoy), but it's really a deconstruction of the film noir genre rather than being an example of noir itself.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

So I've just watched K-Pax, and I kinda want to talk about it for a minute.

Regarding the ending:

Am I alone in thinking that the film took a big dip when the idea of him being an insane person is introduced? It felt like a punch in the gut and I lost the desire to watch the film, to be honest. Anyone else think he should've 100% been an alien?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Zwille posted:

I think Blood Simple and Miller's Crossing are closer to noir films if you're looking at the Coens library.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Yeah but The Big Lebowski sorta blindsides you in that regard.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Directorman posted:

So I've just watched K-Pax, and I kinda want to talk about it for a minute.

Regarding the ending:

Am I alone in thinking that the film took a big dip when the idea of him being an insane person is introduced? It felt like a punch in the gut and I lost the desire to watch the film, to be honest. Anyone else think he should've 100% been an alien?

I haven't seen the movie in a long time but I remember being kind of frustrated with it for what I think are similar reasons. I liked the idea of being ambiguous but I thought they handled it horribly, like they have him do things that he could only do if he absolutely was an alien, but then they're like "Oh wait maybe he's just crazy" and it doesn't gel at all

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Tender Bender posted:

I haven't seen the movie in a long time but I remember being kind of frustrated with it for what I think are similar reasons. I liked the idea of being ambiguous but I thought they handled it horribly, like they have him do things that he could only do if he absolutely was an alien, but then they're like "Oh wait maybe he's just crazy" and it doesn't gel at all

See, I never saw it like that -- I always figured it was Prot inhabiting his body as some sort of second-consciousness, there in his time(s) of need. That both jives with the possibility of the alien as well as him just being insane. All in all I thought they handled it rather well and never had any difficulty with the ending.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Dr_Amazing posted:

Which just happens to be public domain.

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
I know the movie hasn't come out yet, but there have been screenings. Can anyone explain to me what the deal is with Hot Tub Time Machine? In the description is says they returned to their youth, yet in the trailer (and in description) it shows a character meeting his mom and a quote "fight for his existence."

It maybe a spoiler, but what the gently caress. Is it they de-aged a bit, but not completely? This is really bothering me.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

Okposolypse posted:

I know the movie hasn't come out yet, but there have been screenings. Can anyone explain to me what the deal is with Hot Tub Time Machine? In the description is says they returned to their youth, yet in the trailer (and in description) it shows a character meeting his mom and a quote "fight for his existence."

It maybe a spoiler, but what the gently caress. Is it they de-aged a bit, but not completely? This is really bothering me.

I can't explain the "fight for his existence" thing, but it one of the trailers they showed the characters seeing their reflections in the mirror, and they all looked like they did in the 80's in the reflection, which should be interpreted as them looking like that to everyone but the camera.

DevilOnYourShoulder
May 17, 2007
Tour guide on the road to damnation

Okposolypse posted:

I believe one of the characters may be much younger than the others? I could be wrong.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

DevilOnYourShoulder posted:

I believe one of the characters may be much younger than the others? I could be wrong.

Yeah, I think Clark Duke's character is supposed to be in his early 20s. I remember reading somewhere that he's the only one that doesn't 'de-age' because technically he wouldn't have been born yet.

Could be wrong, but it makes sense to me. They'll probably play it for a joke.

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Jay Dub posted:

Yeah, I think Clark Duke's character is supposed to be in his early 20s. I remember reading somewhere that he's the only one that doesn't 'de-age' because technically he wouldn't have been born yet.

Could be wrong, but it makes sense to me. They'll probably play it for a joke.

Okay, I can deal with that. I really hope this movie is good, the two reviews in Film Dump sound promising.

Lao Tsu
Dec 26, 2006

OH GOD SOMEBODY MILK ME
I have a class on the American New Wave and we watched Mean Streets.

It's great early Scorsese if you haven't seen it.

My question concerns the end.

All three are shown crawling out of the car. Charlie looks to be only shot in the arm while Johnny Boy looks worse and Teresa even worse. Are we meant to believe that Charlie survives this? Are we also meant to assume that Michael is hosed for hitting Charlie because of his uncle.

I was just in a state of disbelief at the end of the film because I felt like one more scene would have resolved a lot. I'm not saying I wanted to see what happens next, but there isn't even a hint of tone about the futures of the characters.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I remember watching a movie that took place during the Battle of the Bulge. It was a black and white movie, but I remember distinctly in the middle of it, there is a huge song and dance number for some reason in the middle of the film.

Or did i dream that? I know there were a lot of oddly inserted songs in older films, but it seemed very out of place.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

FreshFeesh posted:

See, I never saw it like that -- I always figured it was Prot inhabiting his body as some sort of second-consciousness, there in his time(s) of need. That both jives with the possibility of the alien as well as him just being insane. All in all I thought they handled it rather well and never had any difficulty with the ending.

Yeah see Prot is just in the body of his friend, who went absolutely crazy. So in the end, when Prot leaves (with that other patient), what's left behind is just the insane man who is completely catatonic. Prot is real, he is 100% alien, he's just using a human friend -- a human friend who went nuts and is just a husk -- as a host, probably just to put people at ease. It's not ambiguous at all. The hypnosis parts are just mister doctor man pushing down Prot, who is there, and getting to the catatonic friend at the core, who isn't there in any sense other than the physical at any other time in the movie.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
So I'm sure The Prestige has been gone over several times before in previous iterations of this type of thread, but I only have three small questions, and they probably aren't the ones that I expect got asked a lot when this movie came out.

#1 - When Borden writes Tesla on the paper, he intends to lead Angier on the wild goose chase. I don't recall Borden ever noticing Angier at Tesla's failed demonstration back in London. Was this a convenience used by the writers to get Angier on the path to the machine, or are we to interpret that Borden was crafty enough to realize that Angier would sacrifice several years and untold amounts of money just because of one name on a piece of paper.

#2 - When does Cutter learn about the fact that Borden is in fact two twins posing as one person? I could see him having always known from before the movie started, but never revealing it to anyone because of the magician's code, although that would probably take a lot of suspension of disbelief on the viewers' part. Or was it only after he discovered that Caldlow=Angier, and off-screen the non-jailed twin approaches him to enlist his help in getting his daughter back?

#3 - I'm not quite sure to what degree with audience was supposed to be surprised at some of the "revelations". We know the hats and the cat got duplicated in the teleportation, so obviously Angier was as well, and once they mention the trap door and show the blind stage-hands removing the wrapped-up glass containers, it's pretty easy to deduce what's going on. But then the end reveal with the rows of Angiers is presented as somewhat of a twist; was it just supposed to be visually shocking to see dozens of dead Hugh Jackmans, or did the writers really think the audience would still be confused at this point of the movie?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

kalensc posted:

So I'm sure The Prestige has been gone over several times before in previous iterations of this type of thread, but I only have three small questions, and they probably aren't the ones that I expect got asked a lot when this movie came out.

#1 - When Borden writes Tesla on the paper, he intends to lead Angier on the wild goose chase. I don't recall Borden ever noticing Angier at Tesla's failed demonstration back in London. Was this a convenience used by the writers to get Angier on the path to the machine, or are we to interpret that Borden was crafty enough to realize that Angier would sacrifice several years and untold amounts of money just because of one name on a piece of paper.

#2 - When does Cutter learn about the fact that Borden is in fact two twins posing as one person? I could see him having always known from before the movie started, but never revealing it to anyone because of the magician's code, although that would probably take a lot of suspension of disbelief on the viewers' part. Or was it only after he discovered that Caldlow=Angier, and off-screen the non-jailed twin approaches him to enlist his help in getting his daughter back?

#3 - I'm not quite sure to what degree with audience was supposed to be surprised at some of the "revelations". We know the hats and the cat got duplicated in the teleportation, so obviously Angier was as well, and once they mention the trap door and show the blind stage-hands removing the wrapped-up glass containers, it's pretty easy to deduce what's going on. But then the end reveal with the rows of Angiers is presented as somewhat of a twist; was it just supposed to be visually shocking to see dozens of dead Hugh Jackmans, or did the writers really think the audience would still be confused at this point of the movie?
#1 - Is this really a problem? From what we saw he didn't notice Angier at the demonstration, but would he have had to? He gives him the name of some dude far away (that created some fancy special effects machine for his own show), Angier (predictably) goes off to investigate.

#2 - Your second assumption is probably correct. It requires less wrangling of off-screen events in the mind of the viewer.

#3 - It seems obvious to a lot of people (including me) but if you've never seen the massive Prestige derails in this forum from days of yore you might find it hard to comprehend how many people completely misunderstand the simplest poo poo in this film.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

Akuma posted:

#3 - It seems obvious to a lot of people (including me) but if you've never seen the massive Prestige derails in this forum from days of yore you might find it hard to comprehend how many people completely misunderstand the simplest poo poo in this film.

Yeah, I don't understand how people misinterpret this stuff. I mean, we can all agree that Cutter was obviously a robot, right?

Nuke Goes KABOOM
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
So I'm watching Hostel 2 for god knows what reason. Why do the mass of little kids start beating the main character and why does the one dude execute one of the kids?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
In The Matrix, what exactly is the deal with the "liquid mirror" which crawls all over Neo's skin just before he's unplugged for the first time?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

qntm posted:

In The Matrix, what exactly is the deal with the "liquid mirror" which crawls all over Neo's skin just before he's unplugged for the first time?

The first answer that comes to mind is that it's the Wachowski's take on going "through the looking glass".

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

qntm posted:

Probably something they instanced into the world in order to scare a candidate into freaking out enough for them to find them in the real world.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

kalensc posted:

I think it was just to show how crazy Jackman was for drowning himself that many times. Remember both versions of him were the "real" version.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Factor Mystic posted:

Probably something they instanced into the world in order to scare a candidate into freaking out enough for them to find them in the real world.

Although, they had to hurry and find him it seemed, or they would lose him (it seemed like he might die if they didn't do it quickly), so my take is:

It was his body waking up slowly to feel the cold water he was submerged in. He was just imagining the effect as liquid mirror. No one else in the room seemed to notice it.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

ZenMaster posted:

Although, they had to hurry and find him it seemed, or they would lose him (it seemed like he might die if they didn't do it quickly), so my take is:

It was his body waking up slowly to feel the cold water he was submerged in. He was just imagining the effect as liquid mirror. No one else in the room seemed to notice it.

True, I suppose the red pill could have just been a psychotropic. This would have had virtually the same effect I guess. Though, their hurry in the real world was due to the fact he was about to get recycled after waking up.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

Factor Mystic posted:

True, I suppose the red pill could have just been a psychotropic. This would have had virtually the same effect I guess. Though, their hurry in the real world was due to the fact he was about to get recycled after waking up.

Didn't somebody (trinity?) say the red pill was a tracking beacon so they could locate his body outside the matrix?

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Human Tornada posted:

I think it was just to show how crazy Jackman was for drowning himself that many times. Remember both versions of him were the "real" version.

It is also somewhat crazy and loving creepy that he KEPT ALL OF THEM. Would you want that poo poo hanging around?

Even more so in the book.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
To anyone who saw The Departed: Why did Mark Wahlberg's character kill Matt Damon's? Did he do it for his own personal 'I don't like you' reason, or was there something I missed?

\/ Thanks, man. I just didn't think his character would go that far, but I guess he did.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 14, 2010

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
^^Yeah, it was a pretty intense turn, but not completely unexpected

melon cat posted:

To anyone who saw The Departed: Why did Mark Wahlberg's charcater kill Matt Damon's? Did he do it for his own personal 'I don't like you' reason, or was there something I missed?

He was sent the information exposing Damon's character as the rat. He did it for revenge for Martin Sheen and Leo's deaths, and the fact that Damon was a criminal who was gonna get away with it

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 14, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

melon cat posted:

\/ Thanks, man. I just didn't think his character would go that far, but I guess he did.

Rewatch the film and think about how things played out from that character's perspective. I don't think he was acting out of character at all. I don't mean this in a lovely "you didn't get it!" sort of way either, a movie like The Departed is actually fun to watch a second time when you know how it's going to play out because it helps you understand character motivations that seemed odd on first viewing. There are little nudges and winks throughout for you on second viewing.