Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
You weren't unlucky, Noro's notorious for those knots - it's especially annoying when they have two completely different colors on either side of the knot. Also there tends to be a lot of "whatever the sheep rolled around in" still stuck in there.

It's a very um...rustic yarn. I don't much enjoy knitting with it either, I have fairly sensitive skin on my hands. Softens up nicely when it's washed though. All I ever made was a booga bag (regular size). I've never used silk garden but I have fondled it in a lot of yarn stores.

How do you like their sock yarn, hollaback grandma? I've never really used a single ply sock yarn before, but I have some in my stash (mini mochi) and when I knit with it it comes untwisted. Seems fine as far as the fabric produced goes but it's a little disconcerting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollaback grandma
Feb 25, 2007

You never call.

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

How do you like their sock yarn, hollaback grandma? I've never really used a single ply sock yarn before, but I have some in my stash (mini mochi) and when I knit with it it comes untwisted. Seems fine as far as the fabric produced goes but it's a little disconcerting.

It's Noro Kureyon sock in the picture, and honestly it's VERY rough on my hands and is giving me a blister where the yarn sits on my finger. But the colors are awesome and the skin on my legs and feet is already ravaged by winter, so I don't feel the scratchiness there :) And no knots so far, knock on wood

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Personally, I'm not a fan of Noro. The colors are beautiful, believe me, but the texture is so scratchy and rough. I've never knitted with it, but we sell it at work and it's just not nearly as impressive as it looks.

Besides Silk Garden, we also have something called Daria Multi by Noro. Nobody has ever bought it. It's got like one purpose - to make tacky belts and purses. It actually feels really nice but I have no clue how you'd knit with it.

Also, I know this is crochet but goddamn what the hell is this. This is some regretsy material right here.

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/crochetkween/capelet

Fionnoulla
Jan 30, 2006

Drop the chalupa!

Shnooks posted:

Besides Silk Garden, we also have something called Daria Multi by Noro. Nobody has ever bought it. It's got like one purpose - to make tacky belts and purses. It actually feels really nice but I have no clue how you'd knit with it.

Also, I know this is crochet but goddamn what the hell is this. This is some regretsy material right here.

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/crochetkween/capelet

I don't think you knit with it. I'd use that for kumihimo braiding. They have it at this shop I was at a couple of weeks ago and I almost bought some but then I had to check myself when I realized that I'll never actually make anything with it - I've got like 6 hanks for silk cord sitting unused in my stash already.

As for that cape, my neighbor would think that is awesome. We all have these giant greenhouse-like windows in our kitchens, over the sink area. She doesn't put plants in hers - she puts hideous dolls in it and then dresses them in horrific hand crocheted outfits to match the seasons.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Shnooks posted:

Personally, I'm not a fan of Noro. The colors are beautiful, believe me, but the texture is so scratchy and rough. I've never knitted with it, but we sell it at work and it's just not nearly as impressive as it looks.

This right here is my problem. :( I love Noro so much, and thanks to an AWESOME goon I got some from the Secret Santa exchange, but I honestly have no idea what to do with it all. It's too rough to be a scarf/hat, but too fragile to be a purse. It just seems wrong to felt it, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do.

Shnooks posted:

I've knitted with either this or something very similar, I forget. I ended up making a very sturdy business card case.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Have you tried washing a little swatch of it? It really does soften up significantly. I don't think I'd make knitted underwear out of it or anything, but good enough for a scarf definitely.

If I ever knit with it again I'll probably wash and dry the skeins themselves before knitting with it.

hollaback grandma posted:

It's Noro Kureyon sock in the picture, and honestly it's VERY rough on my hands and is giving me a blister where the yarn sits on my finger. But the colors are awesome and the skin on my legs and feet is already ravaged by winter, so I don't feel the scratchiness there :) And no knots so far, knock on wood

They're very pretty!

I'm so attracted to the noro sock yarn, I'm just really worried that it's going to snap or wear out in one wearing. I knit pretty tight.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Daria Multi I-cord bracelets were ~all the rage~ in my knitting circle last year. We bought our LYS's entire stock of it.

Rockets
Nov 8, 2003
Fitness is rocket science :smith:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ten-stitch-blanket

I've had about 2 inches of this on my needles for several months. Noro! One day I'll care enough to figure out this corner thing...

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Due To Circumstances I am now the owner of a large garbage bag of grandma yarn. My sister took the 'pretty' yarn, I took the ones I can use for doll making, and there's still half a bag of bright pinks/yellows/whites.

I'm going to see if a local church wants some of it. :ohdear:

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Hi everyone, just need some pointers on doing a wrap & turn for the first time. I watched the video on Knitting Help, but I'm clueless unless I see it exactly how I'm doing it (her example is stockinette, what I'm doing is garter).

I get to wherever, turn the work around, slip the stitch from the right needle (which holds the ones I haven't knit) to the left, bring my yarn around that to the back, then slip the stitch back on the right needle? I want to finally make some progress on this drat thing.

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.

Fooley posted:

Hi everyone, just need some pointers on doing a wrap & turn for the first time. I watched the video on Knitting Help, but I'm clueless unless I see it exactly how I'm doing it (her example is stockinette, what I'm doing is garter).

I get to wherever, turn the work around, slip the stitch from the right needle (which holds the ones I haven't knit) to the left, bring my yarn around that to the back, then slip the stitch back on the right needle? I want to finally make some progress on this drat thing.

I hate wrap and turns, I can never recognize the drat things when it comes to picking them back up. SAYING that however I can actually do a wrap stitch fairly well so halfway there. I found going on Youtube whenever I'm stuck and putting in terms and watching tutorials can really really help. I found both of these by just sticking Wrap and turn into the search bar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SWTAGZOlYA

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yB2BHFemCg

might be of some help? Also the knitpicks website has some great tutorial videos. Hope this helps!

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Fooley posted:

It's really just like wrapping a little scarf around the stitch's neck. So, since you're knitting every stitch, your working yarn is always coming from the back of the work. Knit to the stitch you want to wrap, bring the yarn forward like you're going to purl it, slip the stitch to the right hand needle, bring the yarn to the back again, then slip the stitch back to the left hand needle. Yarn is back where it started but it's going around the neck of the stitch.

EDIT: Yeah, you don't turn before the wrap, you turn AFTER the wrap.

They are hard to see and pick up sometimes because they look sort of like a purled stitch. Luckily it doesn't really matter that much if you pick it up - I usually just leave 'em. Depends on how much you feel the need to hide them.

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

You don't have to pick wraps back up? Well, my life just got easier. Cheers!

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

Sorry double post

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Serenity Dove posted:

You might be able to see them if you don't - depending on the pattern, basically, so it depends on if that bothers you or not. But there's no reason you HAVE to, nope. :)

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
One mitten done! I've got half the cuff of the other one done, using Patons Classic Merino.

Klams Jam
Sep 8, 2007
I hate kntting patterns. I'm knitting 'Three Tams' off knitty for my mum for mothers day, and I can't work it out. I cast on 96 stitches. I did the ribbing, and the first 13 rows of pattern. Only then did it occur to me that you cannot get six 20 stitch repeats into 96... Oh knitters of the internet, what do I do? Is there an increase somewhere I missed?

For reference I'm doing Tam C - http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter07/PATTtam.html

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Looks like you missed the increase round after the ribbed rows. *k4, m1 to the end will get you 120 stitches.

Klams Jam
Sep 8, 2007
I knew there had to be increases somewhere just couldn't see them! Thank you! I am a spanner.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Klams Jam posted:

I hate kntting patterns. I'm knitting 'Three Tams' off knitty for my mum for mothers day, and I can't work it out. I cast on 96 stitches. I did the ribbing, and the first 13 rows of pattern. Only then did it occur to me that you cannot get six 20 stitch repeats into 96... Oh knitters of the internet, what do I do? Is there an increase somewhere I missed?

For reference I'm doing Tam C - http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter07/PATTtam.html

Personally, I hate it when after an increase or decrease row they don't tell you how many stitches you're supposed to have. It's just so inconsiderate!

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
My newest obsession:

I found a fingerless mitten pattern a month or two back and I've knit nearly nothing else since. They're super easy and quick to make -- I finished that one in about two hours. The first five or six pairs I did were made with alpaca or wool, and they're snuggly soft but not very warm. Then I decided to try making one with Red Heart in rainbow stripes and oh my god, they're so great. Plus with how little yarn they use and how cheap Red Heart is, they cost about 15 cents to make a pair.

This is the tenth pair I've made since I found that pattern. I love making them so much!

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Any suggestions for what to use this for? It was "looks good but I have nothing planned" purchase :/.

Punta Yarns Merisoft Space Dyed, 197 yards, 100% Merino

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Fooley posted:

Any suggestions for what to use this for? It was "looks good but I have nothing planned" purchase :/.

Punta Yarns Merisoft Space Dyed, 197 yards, 100% Merino

Very pretty color! I've never heard of that yarn before.

I put it into a ravelry search and came up with a few -

I really like this if you want to get another skein of something and do stripes:
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/meggospurls/opus-spicatum

You could pretty much make any beret or hat you want with one skein, that's what I usually do with my odds and ends. :)

This is cute too:
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/missjilly/easy-mobius-cowl-2

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Thats the thing, I'm kind of burnt out on hats for the time being. Also, I'm a guy with a huge head so I KNOW one skein wouldn't be enough. I had to give away a hat I made with nice yarn since it was way too small, and I think was the same yardage as this stuff.

I was thinking maybe fingerless gloves/mittens.

EDIT: While I'm at it, I could use suggestions for this too.

Fooley fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 10, 2010

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Fooley posted:

Thats the thing, I'm kind of burnt out on hats for the time being. Also, I'm a guy with a huge head so I KNOW one skein wouldn't be enough. I had to give away a hat I made with nice yarn since it was way too small, and I think was the same yardage as this stuff.

I was thinking maybe fingerless gloves/mittens.

EDIT: While I'm at it, I could use suggestions for this too.

Ah, no hats, ok.

I like these: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/waffle-stitch-fingerless-gloves

And I really like these, might even make some for myself now:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/cabled-fingerless-mitts-6

Ooh and these, but they take a lot of yardage - maybe just make 'em shorter?
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/marquise-gauntlets

I have a thing for cables.

Ooh, that blue stuff is pretty.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

I'm so attracted to the noro sock yarn, I'm just really worried that it's going to snap or wear out in one wearing. I knit pretty tight.

Not sure if this has been answered, but it will wear out extremely quickly--the sock yarns are still single ply, so they simply aren't tough enough to stand up to wear. A lot of people have holes develop in the heels after only a few wears.

Serenity Dove posted:

I've never picked them up, but I also do short rows this way (which I find a bit easier).

felgs fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 11, 2010

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Look Under The Rock posted:

My newest obsession:

I found a fingerless mitten pattern a month or two back and I've knit nearly nothing else since. They're super easy and quick to make -- I finished that one in about two hours. The first five or six pairs I did were made with alpaca or wool, and they're snuggly soft but not very warm. Then I decided to try making one with Red Heart in rainbow stripes and oh my god, they're so great. Plus with how little yarn they use and how cheap Red Heart is, they cost about 15 cents to make a pair.

This is the tenth pair I've made since I found that pattern. I love making them so much!

What's the pattern you're using?

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

I figured out the pattern on my own. and I'm terrible at patterns, but I'll try to share.

Red: Work six rounds 2x2 rib
Orange: work 3 rounds 2x2 rib, knit 2 rounds plain, then start the thumb gusset -- knit 16, place marker, increase 1, knit 1, increase 1, place marker, knit to the end of round.
Yellow: Knit two rounds plain, knit to marker, slip marker, increase 1, knit to next marker, increase 1, slip marker, knit to end of round, repeat 3-round pattern
Green: repeat 3-round pattern twice. At the end of green rows there should be thirteen stitches between the markers.
Blue: knit to marker, bind off 12, knit to end of round, knit five rounds plain.
Purple: Knit one round plain, five rounds 2x2 rib.

I hope that was clear enough.

Spiteful
Apr 26, 2009
Look Under The Rock perhaps you'll be able to enlighten me...

Recently i've been making my own fingerless gloves but I find when I work increases for the thumb gusset that holes start to appear between the knitted stitches and the increased stitches.
I'd post a picture but they're dark grey and now the holes are sewn up. Clearly i'm making a noob mistake somewhere.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Spiteful posted:

Look Under The Rock perhaps you'll be able to enlighten me...

Recently i've been making my own fingerless gloves but I find when I work increases for the thumb gusset that holes start to appear between the knitted stitches and the increased stitches.
I'd post a picture but they're dark grey and now the holes are sewn up. Clearly i'm making a noob mistake somewhere.

That happens sometimes with me too and I have no idea why. Using thicker yarn solved the problem for me.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
How are you guys making the increases? That's the most likely culprit.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

How are you guys making the increases? That's the most likely culprit.

KFB, and yeah, I'm guessing that's why.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
If you do a make one increase (lifting up the horizontal strand between the stitches with your left needle and knitting it) you need to make sure you knit that stitch so it's twisted, which prevents a gap. If you pick up the strand front to back, knit through the back loop, and vice versa. The easiest way to figure out how to twist it is to knit it in the way that's most awkward to do. If you're struggling to insert your right needle in the stitch, you're doing it right.

Spiteful
Apr 26, 2009
The way I was taught was to essentially twist the yarn on my finger to create a loop and then knit through that.
Is the a video that might enlighten me because I believe knittinghelp.com does it the dodgy way too...

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

FelicityGS posted:

Not sure if this has been answered, but it will wear out extremely quickly--the sock yarns are still single ply, so they simply aren't tough enough to stand up to wear. A lot of people have holes develop in the heels after only a few wears.

I've never picked them up, but I also do short rows this way (which I find a bit easier).

Thanks for the link, I've bookmarked it so next time I need a hand it's there. I'm really excited since my grandmother has ordered me a set of Knitpro harmony wood circulars, (birthdays are good for something after all). I've done my first pair of socks on a lovely 79p charity shop needle. Even after dipping it in hot water hasn't done a great deal so I'm looking foward with glee to my snazzy new needles.

It was really fascinating the other day since my grandmother looked out her old metal circular needle. It's been in the family since her grandmother before her and is probably over 100 years old. She offered to give it to me since she can't knit anymore but we decided it was best for her to keep it and have it as something nice to pass on in however many years. It's really cool when you have a piece of the past like that. I know that knitting has been in the family for generations but I'm estranged from quite a few branches of the family for various reasons, it's nice to have links like that. :3:

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Serenity Dove posted:

Thanks for the link, I've bookmarked it so next time I need a hand it's there. I'm really excited since my grandmother has ordered me a set of Knitpro harmony wood circulars, (birthdays are good for something after all). I've done my first pair of socks on a lovely 79p charity shop needle. Even after dipping it in hot water hasn't done a great deal so I'm looking foward with glee to my snazzy new needles.

It was really fascinating the other day since my grandmother looked out her old metal circular needle. It's been in the family since her grandmother before her and is probably over 100 years old. She offered to give it to me since she can't knit anymore but we decided it was best for her to keep it and have it as something nice to pass on in however many years. It's really cool when you have a piece of the past like that. I know that knitting has been in the family for generations but I'm estranged from quite a few branches of the family for various reasons, it's nice to have links like that. :3:

Glad to be of help!

KnitPicks Harmonies have to be my favourite wood needles, if only because they don't tend to bow as readily or feel as delicate as the dozens of other wood brands I've tried. I hope you enjoy them, because they're quite wonderful to work with. I get angry at the cable, but I also have this strange standard of a cable that is in no way ever in my way, which isn't going to happen!

I'm the first known knitter in my family, so I don't have sort of cool history like that--you're so lucky! Sometimes it makes me want to have kids one day just so I have someone I can pass the craft on to, as knitting is pretty much a really important facet of my life. Instead, I just try and teach the people in my area and stuff as a compromise.

edit to add:

Spiteful posted:

For holes by increases, that's often due to increases. My favourite type of increases in those cases are make 1 left and make 1 right, called 'raised increases' here. They are also called L-linc and R-linc by Bordhi. A kfb increase shouldn't be leaving a hole unless you're knit loose, in which case blocking uses lets the stitch relax again.

If you mean the hole by the thumb and hand, where hand and thumb join (not sure what that area is called), that's a fairly frequent thing no matter how you knit, and sewing it or picking up a few extra stitches is about the only way to solve it.

And in a totally non-useful information, I finished my Triangular Summer Shawl from Knitted Lace of Estonia at last!

I'd been working on it for ages, and so it's nice to have it done. I don't have any real changes I made to the original pattern, so not a whole lot to talk about there. It's Skacel 2-ply merino lace in purple, on size 3 KnitPicks Harmony circulars.

felgs fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Mar 12, 2010

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I'm not normally a lace person but that's absolutely gorgeous. Great job!

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

That lace is gorgeous Felcity. I love the drapey and delicate look of lace. I think I should bite the bullet and try knitting a full lace item one day, if anything I imagine it would develop some confidence working from more complicated patterns?

I'm actually going over to visit my Grandmother in a short while since my needles came today. I think it's fantastic to have a skill like this in the family. It was quite sad during a break at college one chap said, "Serenity is probably the last of her kind in a way, you don't see knitting or sewing, etc that much anymore." But with threads like this and Ravelry it does show that knitting is still really popular. I think it's more sad that people are reluctant to pick up crafts like knitting or crochet. Either way my kids WILL be knitters. My fiancee is knitting his first pair of socks, (watching him throw a cable needle across the room is both sort of cute and scary!) So there will be no excuse for them not to knit with so many knitters in the family.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Serenity Dove posted:

I think I should bite the bullet and try knitting a full lace item one day, if anything I imagine it would develop some confidence working from more complicated patterns?

It's kind of funny, but other than how slippy the stitches want to be if you're knitting loosely, I find lace to not be so bad as everyone thinks. The really fine Shetland shawls that take forever to make and figuring out how to tension nupps in Estonian lace are perhaps the worst it ever gets.

That said, I'd suggest a lace sampler scarf. I made one a while back to use up a skein of yarn I had laying around, and it really lets you see a variety of patterns and test the water! Knitty had one in an old issue, and there's a handful for free on Ravelry too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Yeah, lace really isn't that hard. The key thing is to be able to "read" your knitting. It helps SO much to be able to look at the row you've just done and read off "Ok I knit three, knit two together, then I did a yo and a ssk". That way you can figure out not just IF you've made a mistake, but exactly what mistake and where, which is so much more helpful than "Oh god I'm supposed to have 45 stitches and I only have 37 WTF I HATE YOU KNITTING".