Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

ManiacClown posted:

What, you haven't heard "firing on one cylinder" before? Even I've heard that one out here in South Dakota, where we know nothing of many of the references Onstad makes.
Oh, I've definitely heard "firing on all cylinders." I just didn't know "one cylinder" was common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
What's the latest story on Cookbook I availability?
And um.. II for that matter?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Connellingus posted:

Oh, I've definitely heard "firing on all cylinders." I just didn't know "one cylinder" was common.

That's a pretty low state of being if you are a metaphorical inline four. Perhaps Philippe is a V-twin?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Ola posted:

That's a pretty low state of being if you are a metaphorical inline four. Perhaps Philippe is a V-twin?

Philippe is an inline five. :v:

poor and weird
Jun 30, 2007
You can do whatever you want in life.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Goddamn I had forgotten all about this one, it just cracks me up. Philippe mentions it in a Friday Facts newsletter a couple days later as Ray saying he was watching,"Naked men fighting sincerely in water."

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.
:frogsiren: NEW STRIP :frogsiren:

I almost hate to emblazon it like that... Ray is right, but he doesn't have to be such a dick.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Fillerbunny posted:

:frogsiren: NEW STRIP :frogsiren:

I almost hate to emblazon it like that... Ray is right, but he doesn't have to be such a dick.

"THANK YOU JAYDEN!"

Still got it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jesus Christ Ray, that IS a dick move.... but you're right.... but gently caress you!

gently caress! YOU!

....but you're right....

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Ray knows that you can't take it so easy on kids, because he himself came up in Circumsta--

Wait, no.

You're a dick, Ray.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Nick at Nite posted:

Ray knows that you can't take it so easy on kids, because he himself came up in Circumsta--

Wait, no.

You're a dick, Ray.

Yeah, seriously. A man who's had everything he owns handed to him trying to teach people how the world works is the dickest thing in the world.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, seriously. A man who's had everything he owns handed to him trying to teach people how the world works is the dickest thing in the world.

His mom disciplined him hardcore. I recall saying when his mom spanked you, it would be on the actual pink part of your tush.

poor and weird
Jun 30, 2007

robot roll call posted:

His mom disciplined him hardcore. I recall saying when his mom spanked you, it would be on the actual pink part of your tush.

how does Col. Ephraim figure into this

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

OBAMA ACKBAR posted:

That's early pre-Beeftoric Achewood. I think Chris is said something to the effect of 'it's almost non canon'

Wait, it's not THAT early. Well, most of the backgrounds hadn't been established yet, I guess?

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

OBAMA ACKBAR posted:

The same way Connie being excited about Flava Flav figures into anything

Chris Onstad
Mar 31, 2007

I don't deserve readers as thorough and thoughtful as you bunch of knuckleheads.

Oh, now I'm crying. [Kidding, I'm just happy. These tears are from super-hot peppers!]

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Chris Onstad posted:

I don't deserve readers as thorough and thoughtful as you bunch of knuckleheads.

Oh, now I'm crying. [Kidding, I'm just happy. These tears are from super-hot peppers!]

Here is how I show appreciation back: a picture of a really expensive delicious beer in one of your glasses.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

robot roll call fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Mar 5, 2010

Chris Onstad
Mar 31, 2007

I have never seen that beer, ever. However, I have reason to believe it was enjoyable.

Good job, compatriot. Good job with the beer.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

If you like stouts, it makes Guinness look like Corona.

Expiration Date
Jun 6, 2008

Chris Onstad posted:

I have never seen that beer, ever. However, I have reason to believe it was enjoyable.

Good job, compatriot. Good job with the beer.

someone doesn't buy their beer at Whole Foods!

(probably because it's overpriced, but hey)

Vitriol
Mar 11, 2001

Phhhhhtttttt!

robot roll call posted:

So ordering some of this as soon as I can!

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

How did you know where I purchased my beer. And really, Whole Foods prices beer the same as anywhere else. Mine does, anyways. And I am proud to say I have never purchased organic sunchokes there, only beer.

Vitriol posted:

So ordering some of this as soon as I can!

Unfortunately it's seasonal and way out of season. I was lucky that my Whole Foods got a random case in out of nowhere. I would love to have stout chat and exchange stout notes though, I know tons of other awesome ones.

robot roll call fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 5, 2010

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Chris Onstad posted:

super-hot peppers!]

...r...rad chillies....? :ohdear:

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

OBAMA ACKBAR posted:

Oh my god the last loving frame of that.

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.
Today I passed by this establishment today and I couldn't help but think about Ray getting into the "champion spring" business.

Also the sign that says "Ray" looks like the kind of sign you'd at a classy drinking establishment in the late 80s.

poor and weird
Jun 30, 2007
Doesn't basically every story arc start out with "[Ray/other character financed by Ray] has idea for [quirky niche business]?"

Integral Catculus
Jul 21, 2007

hopelessly devoted

OBAMA ACKBAR posted:

Doesn't basically every story arc start out with "[Ray/other character financed by Ray] has idea for [quirky niche business]?"

They say you should write what you know! That said, it's not as though the setup really matters with story arcs in Achewood. The Great Outdoor Fight comes directly from ChatSack, after all, and I can't say enough good things about Nolan from the Internet coming out of the woodwork in the SaniTaco arc.

Flupp
Aug 2, 2004
Yeah, one of the things I like about Achewood is that you never know where the story is going to go. It's like the opposite of that movie 9 where you could tell what the characters were going to do before they did it.

poor and weird
Jun 30, 2007
Well it's true you never know where it's going to go, I'm just sayin' you always know where it's gonna start.

e.; and really the best part of SaniTaco was that Lyle had absolutely no regard for the sanity of those tacos. And Ray's reaction to it is hilarious. Lyle just Did Not Care.

poor and weird fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Mar 6, 2010

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Tenfidy is available at the Green Frog Acoustic Tavern in Bellingham, Washington. At least it was a few days ago when I was there. Thicker than Guinness? Thicker than Old Rasputin?

RolandTower
Nov 19, 2003

Guns n' Roses n' Deus Ex Machina
Bleak Gremlin

robot roll call posted:

Basically any imperial Russian stout will do this.

Honestly once you start drinking microbrewed stouts Guiness pretty much loses everything but sentimental value.

poor and weird
Jun 30, 2007
LYYYYLE!
NEW DAY!
NEW...DAAAY!

This has my favorite last panel of any Achewood ever. But Lyle is probably my favorite character.

poor and weird fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 6, 2010

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Somehow I had entirely managed to miss that strip over the course of my archive binges, and yes, that last panel is awesome. I am going to have to steal that line at some point in my daily affairs.

Phenylketonuric
Aug 12, 2003

I used to drink Guinness all the time in Southern California, where generally speaking the only other decent beers you might find on tap came from the Stone Brewery in San Diego, and there were only so many times I could wait an extra hour to sober up from Arrogant Bastard before it began to wear. When I moved up to Portland I told myself that I wouldn't order myself a Guinness at a bar unless I had tried all the other micro-brews on tap first. In other words, Portland has forced me to give up Guinness.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

Phenylketonuric posted:

I used to drink Guinness all the time in Southern California, where generally speaking the only other decent beers you might find on tap came from the Stone Brewery in San Diego,
Huh, I never had much trouble finding good beers while I was out there visiting a friend, but then we didn't go to many bars, and one we did go to was a brewpub, and so had their own beers as well as a pretty good selection of others. But maybe you just didn't go to the right bars?

Speaking of good beers, I'm usually a stouts and porters guy, but last night I had a glass of Dragon's Milk Ale from New Holland Brewing Company. I was very pleased with it, and I recommend anyone who can find it give it a try.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I refuse to believe that any bar in California that serves Guinness doesn't also serve at least one local or regional microbrew.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

McGravin posted:

Huh, I never had much trouble finding good beers while I was out there visiting a friend, but then we didn't go to many bars, and one we did go to was a brewpub, and so had their own beers as well as a pretty good selection of others. But maybe you just didn't go to the right bars?

Speaking of good beers, I'm usually a stouts and porters guy, but last night I had a glass of Dragon's Milk Ale from New Holland Brewing Company. I was very pleased with it, and I recommend anyone who can find it give it a try.

What a coincidence. I had that the other night too. It actually does have kind of a milky taste to it, but in a really good, delicious way. I recommend it as well.

Who would have thought Achewood fans are also good beer fans?!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Achewood fans are necessarily fans of all of the finer things in life.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

withak posted:

Achewood fans are necessarily fans of all of the finer things in life.

Oh, necessarily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us