Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NOT PAUL LAYTON
Nov 27, 2004

You've got about as much skill as the rest of the aforementioned 500-degree-pizza-making, twice-fermenting, under-kneading, poorly-seasoning, parchment-using yokels.

Beat. posted:

have you tried local, university libraries or resources with access to music library databases (NAXOS Music Library) etc. ?

All I have access to, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Hey, baby, wanna come up and see my etchings?
Well if youre in an area with any kind of decent sized colleges or unis you usually dont need to be a student if you actually go to the campus, just to look at databases and collections. It does require the footwork, though. If you are an alumnus of a decent school you can typically mail special collections and have them e-mail you PDFs of stuff, as well.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Here's something! http://alle-noten.de/pdf/LLH2095.pdf

I found it by googling this:
code:
"Hard-Hearted Hannah" filetype:pdf intitle:hannah
Filetype:pdf is really helpful when searching for sheet music. Sometimes you can use the "black and white images only" option in google image search with success, but not this time.

NOT PAUL LAYTON
Nov 27, 2004

You've got about as much skill as the rest of the aforementioned 500-degree-pizza-making, twice-fermenting, under-kneading, poorly-seasoning, parchment-using yokels.

Corla Plankun posted:

Here's something!

Something is a great deal more than nothing, thanks.

Lil Sassy
Jul 24, 2008

Are there any highly CC recommended webstores for purchasing art supplies?

Things like high quality paints, inks, brushes, canvases, easels, pens, markers. That kind of stuff.

Lil Sassy fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 18, 2010

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

dick blick is allright, utrecht is allright, but you gotta know what you want

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
There are two image I've gotten from here on SA that I'd like to have on a black cotton tshirt. I don't really like silk screening, and airbrush has never impressed me. I would like to either have the shirt custom made like your typical store-bought tshirt (a quality job, not just a simple square cut silk screen), or possibly recreate the image myself. Can anyone suggest a good website which provides this service that they've used, or goons which might do it, or recommend the ideal material and method for creating it myself? (like a paint used for this purpose maybe?) Without being too expensive of course. One is the classic Captain Picard "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra Sept 1992" pic, and the other is this one of Carl Sagan, which I'd like to have some text added to.

Click here for the full 700x980 image.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Screenprinting is a labor intensive process that is only done in bulk, no one is going to screen you that design with that many colors for one shirt. You could try finding a place with a direct-to-garment printer, that's about as good as it's going to get for a one-off.

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
So I'm looking to start getting some of my writing submitted to magazines, indy zines, what have you, but I'm unsure where to start. There's so many and it's hard to nail down which exactly are still active and popular and which died months or years ago.

Anyone have a good resource to start someone off in the magical world of small time publishing? Mostly poetry and sci-fi/fantasy short stories for now.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
If I wanted to blow up film stills to movie poster sized paper (possibly larger) what would be the best way to go about doing this without taking a massive hit in quality? I'm in school for architecture and I have access to a massive format printer. Id be taking the stills from DVDs I've got, if that makes a difference.

shitbutt cockfag
Dec 19, 2004
Is this internet, or am I only dreaming?
I understand that this is a long shot, but I'm pretty much out of options at this point. I was hoping that somebody could identify this painting for me, or at the very least give me some idea as to how I could figure it out.

porcellus
Oct 28, 2004
oh wait, wrong chat window
this help at all?
http://www.amazon.com/Letters-Left-Behind-Judith-Sargent/dp/B00147HCV8

shitbutt cockfag
Dec 19, 2004
Is this internet, or am I only dreaming?

You are a prince among men, thank you. Didn't expect that so fast, and now I feel especially dumb because I'm studying the painter (Copley) in art history.

porcellus
Oct 28, 2004
oh wait, wrong chat window
Haha, I just used a tinyeye search. Really invaluable if you fetishize images like I do.

anaaki
Apr 2, 2008
Ok, so I am working on a project right now, I'm painting a wooden storage box. I am using acrylic but would like to use oil pastel on top. The thing I am not sure about is sealing it. I have spray polyurethane and a brush on polyurethane. Will it smear the oil pastel?

Also, I hear you shouldn't do acrylic over pastel.

(here is somewhat of an example of what I've done previously, since it is similar).

It's acrylic, then oil pastel, and then the black/white outlines, and dots are done in acrylic.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals

anaaki posted:

Ok, so I am working on a project right now, I'm painting a wooden storage box. I am using acrylic but would like to use oil pastel on top. The thing I am not sure about is sealing it. I have spray polyurethane and a brush on polyurethane. Will it smear the oil pastel?

Also, I hear you shouldn't do acrylic over pastel.

(here is somewhat of an example of what I've done previously, since it is similar).

It's acrylic, then oil pastel, and then the black/white outlines, and dots are done in acrylic.

No, you probably shouldn't do acrylic over pastel. It mayyyyy work with some fixative between two, but I'm less familiar with pastels as a medium. I would probably go with spray sealer, but you could just do a test patch on a spare piece of wood or on the bottom of your project.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

You shouldnt do anything over pastel unless you don't really care - but on top of the fact that most pastels take very long time to dry, on the order of years, and then many dont dry completely, the acrylics will not really have anything decent to bond to.

But since youre not going to sell it, it doesn't matter anyway, so just do what you want.

anaaki
Apr 2, 2008

Beat. posted:

You shouldnt do anything over pastel unless you don't really care - but on top of the fact that most pastels take very long time to dry, on the order of years, and then many dont dry completely, the acrylics will not really have anything decent to bond to.

But since youre not going to sell it, it doesn't matter anyway, so just do what you want.

Actually, they're being auctioned off for charity.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
What would be the best way to get a good-quality full-color print of a digital piece? It's for a portfolio review and I'd like to have at least one or two digitally colored pieces in there. It's kind of short notice, as well, so online printers aren't really an option.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Little Blue Couch posted:

What would be the best way to get a good-quality full-color print of a digital piece? It's for a portfolio review and I'd like to have at least one or two digitally colored pieces in there. It's kind of short notice, as well, so online printers aren't really an option.

If it's just a one-off job, Kinko's or staples or some other copy-center type place would probably be your best bet, although the price may be a little more than you like.

there might be better options out there, but I usually just go to Kinko's when I need something printed quickly.

Stupid Dick
May 25, 2004

Dreamweaver/HTML question:

I just got done redesigning a website for a local cat rescue at which my girlfriend and I volunteer. I am having some trouble getting formatted text to appear in Internet Explorer. I have loaded it in Firefox, Chrome, Safari and Opera and it looks how it is supposed to look. However, in IE (even 8.0) the dates on the event calendar will not display, nor will the headings.

I have tried reformatting the code, assigning the code to different divs, and even tried assigning them to their own class. Nothing works. The font is Verdana, so it's not like I'm trying to pull anything crazy here.

Now I'm not an expert (mostly self-taught), so some of the code may look a little sloppy, but it works well in every browser except IE. Normally I wouldn't worry about it too much since it's IE, but most of the target audience is probably still running internet explorer (think older people who like cats).

I wanted to try CC first before I moved it to SH/SC. Link is here. Any help/pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

anaaki posted:

Actually, they're being auctioned off for charity.

I mean real money

anaaki
Apr 2, 2008

Beat. posted:

I mean real money

Hahaha. At this point I just want to get it done. I really don't care.... (I hate obligated volunteering)

Grimtooth
Dec 4, 2004

Fred Meijer has a posse....
I'm looking to start creating my own videos. Basically, to start, I want to match up video with narration, with possibly some transition effects and such.

I'm pretty creative (if I do say so myself) and also pretty computer savvy, so it doesn't have to be a simple simple program; I'd prefer a mid-difficulty/feature program.

I use 64 bit Windows Vista.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Grimtooth posted:

I'm looking to start creating my own videos. Basically, to start, I want to match up video with narration, with possibly some transition effects and such.

I'm pretty creative (if I do say so myself) and also pretty computer savvy, so it doesn't have to be a simple simple program; I'd prefer a mid-difficulty/feature program.

I use 64 bit Windows Vista.

I've only personally used After Effects but I can tell you that it's a pretty slick little program that I picked up in about 4-5 hours for a project. You should download the demo and give it a go. If it's only a one-off project you don't even have to buy it :D

EDIT: vvv poo poo, you're right. I don't know why but I have the two programs forever mixed up in my head.

Moist von Lipwig fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 7, 2010

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes
After Effects is not an editor.

Lipwing, I'd pick up a copy of something like Pinnacle Studio. It's cheap and will work much like more popular NLEs like Premiere, FCP or even to a certain extent AVID MC. I do not recommend Vegas, it's not worth the money, if you're going to put some money into this then buy Premiere or a copy of AVID Xpress off of ebay.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
I bought a white mini Munny to draw on, and thinking that using any kind of permanent drawing marker would be okay, I bought a Faber Castell Pitt artist pen: B point. I started drawing, but it never seems to dry. It smudges easily. I don't know what Munny's are made of, but it seems to be rubber or vinyl.

-What can I use to draw on this that is like black permanent marker but does not smudge? I also really found it hard to control my marker probably because of the tip. It felt like it was painting it on little be little it felt weird against it. Not much steady traction.

-Furthermore, for what I am already using to draw, is there any clear protective coating that I can paint on that won't smudge what is there and won't crack when it dries?

LP0 ON FIRE fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 7, 2010

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

~*I Sparkle You Sparkle*~

awdio posted:

I bought a white mini Munny to draw on, and thinking that using any kind of permanent drawing marker would be okay, I bought a Faber Castell Pitt artist pen: B point. I started drawing, but it never seems to dry. It smudges easily. I don't know what Munny's are made of, but it seems to be rubber or vinyl.

-What can I use to draw on this that is like black permanent marker but does not smudge? I also really found it hard to control my marker probably because of the tip. It felt like it was painting it on little be little it felt weird against it. Not much steady traction.

-Furthermore, for what I am already using to draw, is there any clear protective coating that I can paint on that won't smudge what is there and won't crack when it dries?

It's vinyl. Before using a marker on a munny, wash it with soap and water. There's something on it that makes the ink not dry so well. Sharpie's tend to work, but again, give it a day or two of dry time. Spray on some Krylon Clear Coat afterwards.

Also, check the kidrobot munny forums, they're really helpful over there and the forums are active.
Here's a good thread to start with.
http://forums.kidrobot.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=56606&sid=b7437637e3b519a9857e0b46eea2d13d

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

The Worst Unicorn posted:

It's vinyl. Before using a marker on a munny, wash it with soap and water. There's something on it that makes the ink not dry so well. Sharpie's tend to work, but again, give it a day or two of dry time. Spray on some Krylon Clear Coat afterwards.

Also, check the kidrobot munny forums, they're really helpful over there and the forums are active.
Here's a good thread to start with.
http://forums.kidrobot.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=56606&sid=b7437637e3b519a9857e0b46eea2d13d

Thank you. This is amazing!

Lord Solitare
Feb 9, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Is there a way to deselect a certain area in a selection? I'm new to photoshop, so I might be doing this wrong anyway. I'm trying to get rid of the annoying white edge around the picture. I use the box tool to get a pixel around it and then Select Similar. It gets everything, but there's also so pixels in that are the same shade so I can't just delete the area.

When I use the magic wand tool I have to keep selecting and deleting for it to all go away and that works a bit, but the picture winds up with bits jagged. I suppose I can zoon in and manually erase bits if I have to. Just seems like there should be some way to do this without an hour of zooming in and getting rid of stuff.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Lord Solitare posted:

Is there a way to deselect a certain area in a selection?

After selecting something, you can hold down alt and select an area to deselect. If you want to select an inverse area, you can select something and then go to Select > Inverse.

Lord Solitare posted:

When I use the magic wand tool I have to keep selecting and deleting for it to all go away and that works a bit, but the picture winds up with bits jagged.

To make whatever you cut out look less jagged, change the feather to a certain amount of pixels BEFORE selecting and deleting whatever.

Grimtooth
Dec 4, 2004

Fred Meijer has a posse....

awdio posted:

After selecting something, you can hold down alt and select an area to deselect. If you want to select an inverse area, you can select something and then go to Select > Inverse.

To make whatever you cut out look less jagged, change the feather to a certain amount of pixels BEFORE selecting and deleting whatever.

I think maybe he's talking about altering what is already selected. If you want to remove something, I think it's that you hold ctrl (maybe alt) and click with the magic wand tool (or any other selection tool) to remove a part of a selection.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I couldn't find a good place on the forums for this, but I figured this would be the best place to ask. Does anyone have an invite for ffffound!? I end up bookmarking so much and I can't find a decent source to get an invite for an account. I know some CC goons have to have accounts...

If anyone can share, my email is numberneuf (at) gmail (dot) com

I'd really appreciate it :cheers:

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I need a suggestion for a good site to buy royalty free music I can use for short film scores. Plugging 'royalty free music' into google, brings back to much terribleness. No real budget right now, still in the research phase of the project I'm doing. I'm just looking for something that is pretty high quality and not too cheesy. It might not even exist, and thats OK to tell me as well.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Little Blue Couch posted:

I know this is a bit old but holy crap go to Office Max. They seriously give me the best color prints every single time. Kinkos gets the job done, but they're prints are always way way way over dark no matter what I do. I've been to other professional printing places around town here and they're just more expensive and aren't anywhere near as good (or as cheap) as Office Max.

I need advice too! I'm going to graduate soon and I also don't have a scanner back home. I won't have access to my school's glorious gigantic amazing super scanners forever. Does anyone have any scanner recommendations? :( Amazon reviews are only so reliable for this, since I think most people rating are probably scanning their photos, not pieces of artwork. I'd love go to a little bigger than average too, but I'm wary of the cost.

Doctor Dope
Oct 4, 2005

timey-wimey fruity booty
Here's probably a very stupid question, but I tried to find info via Google and failed. What's the best way to display paper collages, like made from magazine cutouts? Is it bad to put them under glass? What will keep them from getting sunfaded besides, um, not hanging them near sunlight? I Mod Podge them, if that helps.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

GonzoRonin posted:

Here's probably a very stupid question, but I tried to find info via Google and failed. What's the best way to display paper collages, like made from magazine cutouts? Is it bad to put them under glass? What will keep them from getting sunfaded besides, um, not hanging them near sunlight? I Mod Podge them, if that helps.

I'd ask a frame shop about that. I do know that you can purchase UV protecting glass for your frames, although it generally costs about twice as much as regular glass.

soupbandit
Oct 24, 2006
Over the Horizon Radar
I'm looking for a site that was set up like a blog, with posts of nudes in different profiles meant for life drawing. It was linked from either one of the monthly drawing threads or a specific life drawing thread. Do any of you cool peeps have it bookmarked??

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Well, it won't be life drawing if it's from a photo, but regardless is it either humanvariation.blogspot.com or https://www.characterdesigns.com? I don't think humanvariation is around anymore but https://www.characterdesigns.com is great for photos of people in weird poses. Also check out http://mjranum-stock.deviantart.com/.

And, just in case you were thinking about posemaniacs.com, I'd recommend drawing from a photo over the models on that site. The CG models don't bend or balance in any way similar to real humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soupbandit
Oct 24, 2006
Over the Horizon Radar

gmc9987 posted:

Well, it won't be life drawing if it's from a photo, but regardless is it either humanvariation.blogspot.com or https://www.characterdesigns.com? I don't think humanvariation is around anymore but https://www.characterdesigns.com is great for photos of people in weird poses. Also check out http://mjranum-stock.deviantart.com/.

And, just in case you were thinking about posemaniacs.com, I'd recommend drawing from a photo over the models on that site. The CG models don't bend or balance in any way similar to real humans.

I think it was humanvariation. That sounds familiar.
Thanks for the other recommendations gmc!