Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

I don't know how easy it would be to make this app. But I'd like an app that prevents Windows from generating a thumbs.db file if the folder is a networked folder (e.g. \\NETWORKCOMP) and make this option toggleable.

Also have Windows hide thumbs.db files _even_ if you set Windows to show all files. I want to be able to access hidden folders but I don't care for the thumbs.db file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KracKiwi
Mar 29, 2002

:byodood: well excuse me, princess!
I have a Windows 7 machine being used as a media server for my home LAN. Could someone make a gadget or program that can run in the background on the server and continuously check if another computer on the network is streaming video or transfering data to/from it?

I'm imagining a little desktop gadget the lists IP addresses of currently streaming/connected devices.

Lamb-Blaster 4000
Sep 20, 2007

KracKiwi posted:

I have a Windows 7 machine being used as a media server for my home LAN. Could someone make a gadget or program that can run in the background on the server and continuously check if another computer on the network is streaming video or transfering data to/from it?

I'm imagining a little desktop gadget the lists IP addresses of currently streaming/connected devices.

there are some nice free apps floating around the net that do that. I have axence net tools pro and network magic on my xp media server. Havent touched them in many months, but I know they both do that, but one is free and one is pay. I found them and others with a quick search on https://www.lifehacker.com (here's the search) http://lifehacker.com/search/network%20monitor/ have a look through those.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
Would anyone possibly know of, or be able to create a tiny app that would control monitor brightness very quickly? I have an example here called "DimScreen" http://goo.gl/ipkc and I was so excited when I found it - except that apparently, at least in Win7, it only dims your primary monitor.

I'm staring at 3 22's at work, and I'd really love the ability to dim them all when I feel like turning the lights off and letting my eyes cool off a bit. And then, kick the brightness backup pretty quickly when I want the lights on.

Hell, I'll donate on Friday if someone creates it.

Edit: Tinyappz.com request# http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1263956069

vty fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 20, 2010

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Can someone look at FitToBurn? I tried it, but my discs keep on being oversized. Thanks.

samo
Feb 3, 2008
Hey I was wondering someone could help me. I am setting up BlueMSX for the wii (msx emulator). And to add a game you have to set it up in an XML file formated like this:
code:
<GameList>
    <Game Title="Arkanoid - Taito (1986)">
        <CommandLine>/rom1 Arkanoid.zip</CommandLine>
        <Settings KeyboardJoystick="true"/>
        <ScreenShot>Arkanoid1.png</ScreenShot>
        <ScreenShot>Arkanoid2.png</ScreenShot>
    </Game>
    <Game Title="Parodius: Tako Saves The Earth - Konami (1988)">
        <CommandLine>/rom1 Parodius.zip</CommandLine>
        <ScreenShot>Parodius1.png</ScreenShot>
        <ScreenShot>Parodius2.png</ScreenShot>
    </Game>
</GameList>
I would like a program that would parse a folder full of zip files and puts the filename without extension as the "Game Title", filename without extension with a 1 then 2 after it for the screenshots, and the full filename for the command line.

Thanks!

Spookynutz
Dec 18, 2005

samo posted:

Hey I was wondering someone could help me. I am setting up BlueMSX for the wii (msx emulator). And to add a game you have to set it up in an XML file formated like this:
code:
<GameList>
    <Game Title="Arkanoid - Taito (1986)">
        <CommandLine>/rom1 Arkanoid.zip</CommandLine>
        <ScreenShot>Arkanoid1.png</ScreenShot>
        <ScreenShot>Arkanoid2.png</ScreenShot>
    </Game>
    <Game Title="Parodius: Tako Saves The Earth - Konami (1988)">
        <CommandLine>/rom1 Parodius.zip</CommandLine>
        <ScreenShot>Parodius1.png</ScreenShot>
        <ScreenShot>Parodius2.png</ScreenShot>
    </Game>
</GameList>
I would like a program that would parse a folder full of zip files and puts the filename without extension as the "Game Title", filename without extension with a 1 then 2 after it for the screenshots, and the full filename for the command line.

Thanks!

Let me know if this works:

GXML

samo
Feb 3, 2008
Woohoo!!! You are the man, works like a charm. Thanks a bunch!!!

apati
Nov 25, 2004
I wish I was an anal probe
need help.
a small program that can send audio from one PC (no speakers) over LAN to another PC that is connectet to speakers / amplifier.
both computers are running win7

something simple, like synergy.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
How about an iGoogle app that simply uses an iframe pulling data from usercp.php, applies a userscript that parses out a list of threads with new posts and displays that list. I'd use the hell out of that, all the time.

Wiki link.

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

What about the children foo'?
I don't know if requests are still being filled but I was wondering if someone could write me a small app that is a computer shutdown timer.
Something with maybe hours:minutes to shutdown would be ideal.

I have a media box in my room but don't like leaving my boxes on all night, so once I'm finished watching something I have to go down to the other end of the house to shut them both down. Something that I could set to shut both down in a few hours would be ideal.

Mister Bung fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Feb 16, 2010

Flamadiddle
May 9, 2004

I don't entirely understand what you're after, but have you looked at the arguments you can pass to the windows shutdown command?

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/shutdown.mspx?mfr=true

RagingBoredom
Apr 11, 2005

I'm bored as hell. Help me.
If anyone wants to whip up a simple (at least I hope) program for me it would be greatly appreciated. What I need is similar to http://tinyappz.com/wiki/Countdown but instead of the 10 minutes/2 minutes setup I'd like to have it be a custom time of my choosing every time and instead of just the two times alternating, I'd prefer it to have up to 5 custom times that it rotates through in order. Beeping when the time is up and going straight to the next countdown like the app above is perfect. It would be preferable if it could sit in the system tray and have a tooltip popup as well to let me know that the countdown is complete when the timer reaches zero for the times that I have my volume turned down or off but it's not necessary if it's too much of a hassle. Also Start/Pause and Stop buttons like the one above would be great (doesn't need graphics, just a simple button with text is all I need but if you want to do graphics then I won't complain).

And in case this is too much work (not sure since I'm not a programmer) then no worries. I'll just keep looking for something that'll fit my needs. Or if you know something similar to this that is already out there then feel free to point me in that direction. But if someone does help me out here then it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

Flamadiddle posted:

I don't entirely understand what you're after, but have you looked at the arguments you can pass to the windows shutdown command?

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/shutdown.mspx?mfr=true

Ah I guess I'm looking for a GUI that does the shutdown -t xx command. I have no idea about coding whatsoever, I just want a stop watch style thingo that I can set and go to bed?

Flamadiddle
May 9, 2004

Mister Bung posted:

Ah I guess I'm looking for a GUI that does the shutdown -t xx command. I have no idea about coding whatsoever, I just want a stop watch style thingo that I can set and go to bed?

There's no coding involved. This is all stock windows stuff. If you click Start | Run | shutdown -s -t 7200 then your pc will schedule itself to shut down in 7200 seconds (2 hours). You can cancel this by typing shutdown -a instead.

Alternatively, put this in a file called shutdown.bat

code:
cd\
cd windows\system32
shutdown -s -t 7200
Save that wherever and double click to shut down in 2 hours time

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

Flamadiddle posted:

There's no coding involved. This is all stock windows stuff. If you click Start | Run | shutdown -s -t 7200 then your pc will schedule itself to shut down in 7200 seconds (2 hours). You can cancel this by typing shutdown -a instead.

Alternatively, put this in a file called shutdown.bat

code:
cd\
cd windows\system32
shutdown -s -t 7200
Save that wherever and double click to shut down in 2 hours time

Cool thanks. Like I said, I've not even approached this kind of thing before. Closest I've got it editing .ini files to cheat in games...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You can also use the windows task scheduler to achieve the same thing, typing something like
at 23:00 "shutdown /s /f"

should do the job (without having to multiply anything!), at least if you're admin or have the permissions to schedule tasks. You can also use the GUI tool to do the same thing.

RagingBoredom posted:

Timer app request

Here, try this: http://mobby6kl.nfshost.com/tmp/CustomTimer.rar
Times should be integers in seconds for now, but otherwise I think I covered all the requirements. You can even add way more than 5 steps.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 16, 2010

RagingBoredom
Apr 11, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Here, try this: http://mobby6kl.nfshost.com/tmp/CustomTimer.rar
Times should be integers in seconds for now, but otherwise I think I covered all the requirements. You can even add way more than 5 steps.

That's perfect. If you want to make it into minutes later then I'll probably use that but as it is right now, it's great. I can easily use it as is. Thanks a bunch :)

EDIT:
Nevermind about making it into minutes unless you really want to. I don't know how to code but I do know a tiny bit more than the average user when it comes to applications and I've used ResHacker to create a 3rd tab and with the help of a delphi guide to add text to forms, I'll list the various times in seconds that I might need in that tab. Again, thanks for taking the time to do this :)

RagingBoredom fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 17, 2010

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !

Mister Bung posted:

I don't know if requests are still being filled but I was wondering if someone could write me a small app that is a computer shutdown timer.

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/AutoShutdown ?

I use it on a couple of machines myself. :tipshat:

dexter
Jun 24, 2003

Mister Bung posted:

Start, run, shutdown /i

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

RagingBoredom posted:

That's perfect. If you want to make it into minutes later then I'll probably use that but as it is right now, it's great. I can easily use it as is. Thanks a bunch :)

EDIT:
Nevermind about making it into minutes unless you really want to. I don't know how to code but I do know a tiny bit more than the average user when it comes to applications and I've used ResHacker to create a 3rd tab and with the help of a delphi guide to add text to forms, I'll list the various times in seconds that I might need in that tab. Again, thanks for taking the time to do this :)

I probably won't be able to get to this while I'm at work but otherwise it's not a problem, I should've made it properly in the first place :)

RagingBoredom
Apr 11, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

I probably won't be able to get to this while I'm at work but otherwise it's not a problem, I should've made it properly in the first place :)

Don't even worry about it. You came through perfectly. I've used ResHacker to add that tab and I've listed all the times that I would probably need so I'm all set. The program is great and I'm grateful for it. So thanks a ton :)

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

kri kri posted:

Can someone look at FitToBurn? I tried it, but my discs keep on being oversized. Thanks.

I wrote it originally and apparently didn't test well enough. I'll see if I can dig up the source and fix it.

What size are you using?

Yuncemil
Jul 18, 2006

Wie sagt man "olol" auf Deutsch?
I didn't see this when I searched the main wiki for this, so if anyone can possibly make this, I would be really grateful!

Is it possible to make something that will automatically split a file into sub-10mb sections and automatically send them to a Gmail email address? We both have several GB of space in our accounts but each email is limited to 10mb. It is very tedious to have to manually split large files then manually upload them.

If it is easier, a program which auto-uploads pre-split files would be good too since it is easy enough to manually split with WinRar.

My fiancee and I are currently in different countries and where she is staying, she only has dialup. This means that uploading the whole thing to MegaUpload etc is impractical since if she loses connection, we might have lost a lot of transfer time. It is not too much of a problem for files around 20 or 30mb since I can just split them with WinRar, but when we have files (e.g. folders with lots of large photos etc) over 100mb, this can get extremely tedious!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Yuncemil posted:

I didn't see this when I searched the main wiki for this, so if anyone can possibly make this, I would be really grateful!

Is it possible to make something that will automatically split a file into sub-10mb sections and automatically send them to a Gmail email address? We both have several GB of space in our accounts but each email is limited to 10mb. It is very tedious to have to manually split large files then manually upload them.

If it is easier, a program which auto-uploads pre-split files would be good too since it is easy enough to manually split with WinRar.

My fiancee and I are currently in different countries and where she is staying, she only has dialup. This means that uploading the whole thing to MegaUpload etc is impractical since if she loses connection, we might have lost a lot of transfer time. It is not too much of a problem for files around 20 or 30mb since I can just split them with WinRar, but when we have files (e.g. folders with lots of large photos etc) over 100mb, this can get extremely tedious!

DropBox would work for you I think.
https://www.dropbox.com/

Yuncemil
Jul 18, 2006

Wie sagt man "olol" auf Deutsch?

Oldstench posted:

DropBox would work for you I think.
https://www.dropbox.com/

That looks really interesting- I will check it out. Thanks!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

RagingBoredom posted:

Don't even worry about it. You came through perfectly. I've used ResHacker to add that tab and I've listed all the times that I would probably need so I'm all set. The program is great and I'm grateful for it. So thanks a ton :)

You almost had me convinced there, but I couldn't leave it with such a half-assed effort. :)

http://mobby6kl.nfshost.com/tmp/CustomTimer_1.1.rar

you can now enter the time in MM:SS format, (something like 90:224 is ok), and a single number like "5" will be interpreted as five minutes.
Highlight basically highlights the current element in the list. You can now also double click on any element there to set it as the current timer. Everything else should be self-explanatory.

E: the file server is currently down but should be fixed soon
E2: should be back up now

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 20, 2010

arsegrit
Oct 22, 2004
I could totally use an application that uses scroll lock (rather convenient, having a key that does nothing but has a visible indicator attached) to mute/un-mute the default recording device.

tinyappz link: http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1266690968

RagingBoredom
Apr 11, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

You almost had me convinced there, but I couldn't leave it with such a half-assed effort. :)

http://mobby6kl.nfshost.com/tmp/CustomTimer_1.1.rar

you can now enter the time in MM:SS format, (something like 90:224 is ok), and a single number like "5" will be interpreted as five minutes.
Highlight basically highlights the current element in the list. You can now also double click on any element there to set it as the current timer. Everything else should be self-explanatory.

E: the file server is currently down but should be fixed soon
E2: should be back up now

Thanks a ton. It's above and beyond my expectations :D

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Nurulwai posted:

I could totally use an application that uses scroll lock (rather convenient, having a key that does nothing but has a visible indicator attached) to mute/un-mute the default recording device.

tinyappz link: http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1266690968
I've tested this on Vista and it seems to work. If the light is on then the device is unmuted.
http://pleasesendhelp.com/crap/RecordLight.exe

arsegrit
Oct 22, 2004

Dicky B posted:

I've tested this on Vista and it seems to work. If the light is on then the device is unmuted.
http://pleasesendhelp.com/crap/RecordLight.exe

Works a treat! Thanks a lot!

Stickin' this in my startup folder.

Edit: And on tonight's backup, cos damned if I'll be able to find this if/when I :pt:.

arsegrit fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 21, 2010

Lediur
Jul 16, 2007
The alternative to anything is nothing.
Is there a program out there that can go recursively go through a directory and unzip (or unrar) any archives it comes across and pop the results in a single folder?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Lediur posted:

Is there a program out there that can go recursively go through a directory and unzip (or unrar) any archives it comes across and pop the results in a single folder?

I forgot which thread I was in and I almost suggested a bash command to do that.

find /path/to/rars -name "*.rar" -exec unrar {} /single/folder

Oh poo poo, there it is. I guarentee that won't work in Unix because I know I didn't get the syntax right, but that's the jist of it. Maybe there's a way to run a command like that from the Windows command line?

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
A lot of the time I open try to open firefox and I get the horribly annoying "Firefox is already running but is not responding." (as seen here http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Firefox+is+already+running+but+is+not+responding )

So I have to open up run, type taskmgr, find the .exe and end the process. Which sucks. Now I've tried a million different solutions over the course of a year for this problem with profiles and this and that and had no luck.

Can anyone make a tiny custom app that somehow makes it so whenever I click the firefox shortcut, it automatically ends the processes and then opens firefox. A deamon or maybe even something in the Target line that does this.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

Lediur posted:

WinRar.

c:\program files\winrar\Rar.exe x -r "C:\Path\To\Files\*.*" "C:\Destination\Folder\"

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

JasonV posted:

WinRar.

c:\program files\winrar\Rar.exe x -r "C:\Path\To\Files\*.*" "C:\Destination\Folder\"

That wouldn't do it recursivly though. I think the situation is rar's in multiple folders. Also, when I used WinRar for Unix it didn't like using a wildcard because it didn't know what to do with multiple input lines on the command line. Not sure if that's a problem o the Windows side.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

That wouldn't do it recursivly though. I think the situation is rar's in multiple folders. Also, when I used WinRar for Unix it didn't like using a wildcard because it didn't know what to do with multiple input lines on the command line. Not sure if that's a problem o the Windows side.

The -r switch makes it recursive. Works fine on my windows machine.

Unless I misunderstood what the OP was asking ...?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

JasonV posted:

The -r switch makes it recursive. Works fine on my windows machine.

Unless I misunderstood what the OP was asking ...?

Nope, that makes sense.

The 'WinRar' for Linux is terrible and not at all Unix like, but I've never used the command line for Windows, so I will defer to your knowledge.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

thehandtruck posted:

A lot of the time I open try to open firefox and I get the horribly annoying "Firefox is already running but is not responding." (as seen here http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Firefox+is+already+running+but+is+not+responding )

So I have to open up run, type taskmgr, find the .exe and end the process. Which sucks. Now I've tried a million different solutions over the course of a year for this problem with profiles and this and that and had no luck.

Can anyone make a tiny custom app that somehow makes it so whenever I click the firefox shortcut, it automatically ends the processes and then opens firefox. A deamon or maybe even something in the Target line that does this.

Have you tried not using Firefox if it has been causing you these problems for a year or more? :downs:

Anyway, paste this into a text file and save it as "firefox.bat" or something:
code:
taskkill /F /IM firefox.exe
start firefox.exe
I tested this with notepad and it seems to work as expected, you might just need to specify the full path to the firefox executable in the second line if it's not in the path variable. Or place the bat file in the FF directory, and lunch it through a shortcut, I think that should work as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

thehandtruck posted:

So I have to open up run, type taskmgr,

Ctrl + Shift + Esc. :colbert:

• Locked thread