Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
Does anyone know of an online OEM Subaru parts catalog that will include listings for Japanese market parts? I'm trying to track down an OEM console button for my SVX that was present on the JDM cars, but not included in US models. Neither my parts binder nor the online US parts catalogs even mention it. I think if I at least had a part number, I may be able to order it.

To contribute - in my searches I found a kind of awesome Subaru online parts lookup that includes European models, and way better diagrams than the ones on subaruparts.com. Apologies if this has been posted already...

http://opposedforces.com/parts/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

On Thursday I joined the family with a 2006 WRX Limited. My first car was a Volvo 240, and from there I had two Jeep Cherokees and most recently a Dodge Stratus (uhg) after I wrecked my Jeep. This is unlike anything I've driven before, and I'm in love with it.

I was looking for the perfect (practically untouched) one for a few months, with the right amount of miles for the price, and the right color with the right options.

I looked at an STI in Hanover, PA before this and while it was fun to drive, the guy was really shady about it and was refusing to let me take it for a compression test. "You felt how it drove! It wouldn't drive like that if it wasn't good!" yah, right buddy... He also told me it was completely stock and wasn't modded, but under the hood it had several stickers for TIEN and PASSPORT and some other stuff on it. yeah...

So I went to Frederick MD after that to look at a 2006 WRX Limited, and when I got there the sales guy came out and told me my name... It turns out that this place was owned by the same one in Hanover. Guy was telling me that the STI in Hanover was owned buy an employee for the company which was consistent with the Hanover story. Well in Frederick they told me that this WRX wasn't all modded like the STI was. And I was like "gee that's weird, they told me that that car was stock!" And they told me it definitely was modded.

Anyway, they were better than the Hanover guy, and the WRX seemed very good, but they were asking what I felt was too much for that, so I kept looking elsewhere. Found the best deal at a Subaru dealer in DE. I think I got a great steal because they had it listed as AUTO on the site, even though it is a 5MT in the photos. It had been listed for a few weeks but I never looked at it because it said AUTO. Then one day I clicked on it through another car search site, and realized the mistake.. and the new reduced price. I can't help but wonder if they dropped it because nobody was shopping for it because of the mistake.

I went down and drove it, then had it checked out. Everything was legit, so a week later I bought it.

I never had a car I was really excited about before. I actually want to care for it and keep it clean and running great. There's so much stuff, I don't really know what to do with it other than drive the hell out of it!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Excellent choice, I love my 07 Limited wagon.

SpellEdge
Sep 14, 2007
Atk:13 Add: Don't Act

nice purchase, i have an 07 tr myself. wish i had those leather seats.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Thanks for the compliments. The leather seats are nice, but I'm worried about how long they'll last with my Boston terrier jumping around on them.

I got to have some fun in it today. Followed my parent's renegade through some unplowed areas in order to take our dogs out to the park. It was fun despite not having proper tires.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Kageneko posted:

Thanks for the compliments. The leather seats are nice, but I'm worried about how long they'll last with my Boston terrier jumping around on them.

I have two corgis that are often dirty and / or wet, and the seats are holding up really well. The leather in the 2000 Outback I had previously looked perfect when I sold it. Just keep them treated with conditioner every once in a while and they'll be fine.

Bombtrack
Dec 2, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Black88GTA posted:

To contribute - in my searches I found a kind of awesome Subaru online parts lookup that includes European models, and way better diagrams than the ones on subaruparts.com. Apologies if this has been posted already...

http://opposedforces.com/parts/

This is great, thanks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yay, I finally got my. "You may have noticed your car stinks of loving gas when it's cold" letter.

Now I just got to figure out when I can get it done.

We Eat Pasta
Sep 23, 2005

Mmmm... Pasta!
Has there been any information released regarding 2011 WRXs? The current body style has been around for 3 years now, and I would expect it is about time for a redesign (plus direct-injection please).

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

We Eat Pasta posted:

Has there been any information released regarding 2011 WRXs? The current body style has been around for 3 years now, and I would expect it is about time for a redesign (plus direct-injection please).

I love my 07 but a 2011 WRX Limited with DI and a DSG would be an instant trade-in.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There's been basically no information at all about any subaru direct injection at this point.

Honestly, the entire EJ line of engines is getting a little long in the tooth. It would be nice to see something new from subaru soonish.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Doesn't the FT-86 have a direct-injected boxer? I'd presume that's coming pretty soon, although maybe Toyota has some kind of exclusivity clause going.

edit: Seems like it, though anything could happen.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

warwick5s posted:

I love my 07 but a 2011 WRX Limited with DI and a DSG would be an instant trade-in.

I could be convinced to trade my 09 for that.

ScaryFast
Apr 16, 2003

The last rumour I heard about 2011 involved a smaller engine and CVT :P

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Is the 6-spd in the base Legacy so weak that it couldn't go in the WRX, too? Or are they just protecting the STi at this point?

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

warwick5s posted:

Is the 6-spd in the base Legacy so weak that it couldn't go in the WRX, too? Or are they just protecting the STi at this point?

I was told that the new legacy 6 speed is the same design as the old 5 speed just with another gear. It's not at all like the STi 6speed.

si
Apr 26, 2004

ab0z posted:

I was told that the new legacy 6 speed is the same design as the old 5 speed just with another gear. It's not at all like the STi 6speed.

I believe someone over at legacygt.com sent Subaru an inquiry on it, and Subaru claimed it was a different design for reasons of weight and better economy (different ratios) in response to a question of why no DCCD.

I have never heard of anyone breaking the Spec B 6MT though, it seems to be a pretty stout gearbox -- have no idea about the new 2010 GT 6MT.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I haven't seen the 6-speed in the 2010 legacy, but the older spec b trans uses the same case as the sti.

actually I found a picture that shows part of it here:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1941016

looks like an entirely new case.

jamal fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 2, 2010

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I thought the STi 6-speed is hand-built which wouldn't really be feasible for a volume car like the Legacy, but now I can't find any source on that.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
Only thing im hoping for is an STi sedan with the wing, as lame as some people think it is.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
For end links: Whiteline or Kartboy? I remember reading on NASIOC that spherical bearings tend to wear quicker and get noisy. The KBs don't look like they'd have that issue.

For down pipes: Catted dp is a catted dp? The ERZ/CNT one is pretty drat cheap, with decent build quality reports. It just seems like prices vary several hundred bucks and just looking at one, well poo poo they all look the same. Are higher quality cats used on the more expensive ones or is it all marketing?

For cat backs: Anyone had experience with/heard the CNT single exit? Nvidia N1 regular (resonated). Looking for a decent compromise of performance, price, and noise. Not looking for something gently caress off loud...

Car is an 09 sedan, thanks!

si
Apr 26, 2004

Tremblay posted:

For end links: Whiteline or Kartboy? I remember reading on NASIOC that spherical bearings tend to wear quicker and get noisy. The KBs don't look like they'd have that issue.

For down pipes: Catted dp is a catted dp? The ERZ/CNT one is pretty drat cheap, with decent build quality reports. It just seems like prices vary several hundred bucks and just looking at one, well poo poo they all look the same. Are higher quality cats used on the more expensive ones or is it all marketing?

For cat backs: Anyone had experience with/heard the CNT single exit? Nvidia N1 regular (resonated). Looking for a decent compromise of performance, price, and noise. Not looking for something gently caress off loud...

Car is an 09 sedan, thanks!

My take, and I may be wrong and some may disagree:

End links: Stock, those solid/sphericals are noisy/clunky as hell, and really just don't seem to gain you much.
Down pipes: Ask them what cat they use. There are only a few manufacturers of cats, but there are some quality differences there. Not all higher priced ones use better cats. I have a Cobb on mine, but my choice was based largely on fitment versus cat performance.
Cat back: best price/performance/noise in my book? Unless you're going with an aftermarket turbo, the stock catback should not be a restriction for you. Otherwise, the SPT catback was only like $375 for a while, if you can find one of those deals it's a nice one.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I like the kartboy endlinks, but I don't think they'll work well for the rear of the 08s if you want to use an adjustable bar.

Get an invidia downpipe if you want a full 3" exhaust, get a cobb if you want to use the stock catback since it necks down to a 2.5" donut gasket. on a tuned car that means a good 15whp loss.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

si posted:

My take, and I may be wrong and some may disagree:

End links: Stock, those solid/sphericals are noisy/clunky as hell, and really just don't seem to gain you much.
Down pipes: Ask them what cat they use. There are only a few manufacturers of cats, but there are some quality differences there. Not all higher priced ones use better cats. I have a Cobb on mine, but my choice was based largely on fitment versus cat performance.
Cat back: best price/performance/noise in my book? Unless you're going with an aftermarket turbo, the stock catback should not be a restriction for you. Otherwise, the SPT catback was only like $375 for a while, if you can find one of those deals it's a nice one.

I'd be a little scared of snapping the stock endlinks. I'm putting on Whiteline 22/24mm sways. Interesting on the catback, would have thought the stocker was restrictive as all hell...

jamal posted:

I like the kartboy endlinks, but I don't think they'll work well for the rear of the 08s if you want to use an adjustable bar.

Get an invidia downpipe if you want a full 3" exhaust, get a cobb if you want to use the stock catback since it necks down to a 2.5" donut gasket. on a tuned car that means a good 15whp loss.

Thanks! Can you elaborate more on the endlinks? The price between WL and the KBs is pretty negligible. Just curious.

Tremblay fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 3, 2010

si
Apr 26, 2004

Tremblay posted:

I'd be a little scared of snapping the stock endlinks. I'm putting on Whiteline 22/24mm sways. Interesting on the catback, would have thought the stocker was restrictive as all hell...

Thanks!

I run larger sways than that on my LGT, and haven't harmed the endlinks any while AutoX'ing it. I did put some mount reinforcement brackets on the rear, and did mount + poly bushings on them though.

From the folks I talked to (Ron Williams @ RAW who installed the parts & did the dyno, Jorge @ P&L who did my tune, and the folks at Cobb, who to be fair were selling me the parts) -- they said the stock catback on the LGT is good for 400-450hp. Since the neck-down is at the far end of the downpipe, apparently the gas cooling in that distance is enough to not be significantly restrictive from a 3" pipe the rest of the way.

Don't know how true this all is, since I haven't tested it both ways or anything, this is just what I was told. I would trust jamal, since from what I've read he's worked on more Subaru motors than I've ever even seen in pictures.

si fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 3, 2010

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Sure 2.5" will work for up to 450whp or whatever, but that doesn't mean you won't see a gain from going with a 3" exhaust at lower power levels. I've seen this personally on the dyno.

As for the endlinks, in the front I would go with the kartboys for sure. In the rear I would recommend something speherical because they have to articulate in two directions, and having an adjustable swaybar put the endlink at a pretty sharp angle on the extreme settings. Unfortunately I've seen a lot of instances where the whitelines break due to over articulation. I think using different sized spacers to move the lower mount forward or back depending on the swaybar setting would be a good way to prevent this.

I've also seen the stock endlinks get torn right out off the ball socket due to bigger swaybars. Not saying you can't get away with keeping the stockers, just don't be surprised if they break at some point.

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 3, 2010

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

jamal posted:

Sure 2.5" will work for up to 450whp or whatever, but that doesn't mean you won't see a gain from going with a 3" exhaust at lower power levels. I've seen this personally on the dyno.

I've got a bone stock 2006 wrx for my daily driver and I was looking to get a downpipe, exhaust, and tune (either cobb or any other method). How would you (or anyone else in this thread for that matter) do it? I've been pinching pennies waiting for the warranty to be up so price isn't a huge issue.
I've done some reading about cobb, open source tunes, etc and I was looking at an invidia dp and a used exhaust but i'm just hoping to get some insight from somebody who could say "if I was going to do it over again..."

Hollis Brown fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 3, 2010

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

jamal posted:

words

Thanks again!

Hollis Brown posted:

I've got a bone stock 2006 wrx for my daily driver and I was looking to get a downpipe, exhaust, and tune (either cobb or any other method). How would you (or anyone else in this thread for that matter) do it? I've been pinching pennies waiting for the warranty to be up so price isn't a huge issue.
I've done some reading about cobb, open source tunes, etc and I was looking at an invidia dp and a used exhaust but i'm just hoping to get some insight from somebody who could say "if I was going to do it over again..."

For me its trying to figure out how much more performance I want. Versus how much extra cash I want to dump in the car. Not sure what HB is going to charge me for the tune, but for parts I'll be up to ~$2400 for turbo-back, sways, endlinks, access port. I could blow about another grand on a fuel pump, TMIC, and intake pretty easy. I think it was 06 that got rid of the cat in the up pipe. An access port or some other tune mechanism + turbo back exhaust isn't a bad place to start for power mods.

Are you just going for power? Handling improvement? Both?

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

Tremblay posted:

Thanks again!

For me its trying to figure out how much more performance I want. Versus how much extra cash I want to dump in the car. Not sure what HB is going to charge me for the tune, but for parts I'll be up to ~$2400 for turbo-back, sways, endlinks, access port. I could blow about another grand on a fuel pump, TMIC, and intake pretty easy. I think it was 06 that got rid of the cat in the up pipe. An access port or some other tune mechanism + turbo back exhaust isn't a bad place to start for power mods.

Are you just going for power? Handling improvement? Both?
I don't want to mess with the turbo, pump, IC or intake. I think the other bolt-ons would net me some decent power, and I could get some wheels and springs/struts maybe sways. A dirty part of me also wants a polyurethane lip and some 04-05 tails/film.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

si posted:

I run larger sways than that on my LGT, and haven't harmed the endlinks any while AutoX'ing it. I did put some mount reinforcement brackets on the rear, and did mount + poly bushings on them though.
Yeah, I have big sways (cobb), RCE coils, and OEM endlinks. I do well over 20 AX a year and 10 track days a year and they're fine.
I think better LCA bushings are far more important. Do that if you touch anything down there. And even if stock, inspect.

quote:

From the folks I talked to (Ron Williams @ RAW who installed the parts & did the dyno, Jorge @ P&L who did my tune, and the folks at Cobb, who to be fair were selling me the parts) -- they said the stock catback on the LGT is good for 400-450hp. Since the neck-down is at the far end of the downpipe, apparently the gas cooling in that distance is enough to not be significantly restrictive from a 3" pipe the rest of the way.
I think this is true. Note that the cat-back on the LGT is pretty free flowing, unlike the imprezas (don't know about current imprezas)
(Good and quiet) LGT exhausts are also pretty expensive, which can buy a lot of go fast parts, but they're cheaper for the impreza people which changes the cost/benefit a bit. As you'll note they cited the SPT at $375. Ours is $1000.+

Hollis Brown posted:

from somebody who could say "if I was going to do it over again..."
If you still have a warranty, do a leakdown. Do it now before you modify anything.
Oh and I'd do power in stages. Get an AP. Flash. When you get board of the extra power, then do the downpipe.
Stages will keep the mod bug away for a while.

nm fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 3, 2010

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

nm posted:

If you still have a warranty, do a leakdown. Do it now before you modify anything.
Oh and I'd do power in stages. Get an AP. Flash. When you get board of the extra power, then do the downpipe.
Stages will keep the mod bug away for a while.

My warranty was up a few months ago, but my car has 25k miles on it and I never abused it. How much would a leak-down test run me?

FecalFajita
Jun 27, 2003
8=======D--

Hollis Brown posted:

I've been collecting parts for the past 6 months to put on my 04 Forester XT, which mostly uses the same parts as your car. Everyone is going to suggest a different route here, so I'll just tell you how it broke down for me price wise.

code:
$200      STI intercooler (used 6,000 miles)		
$50       Ebay Y Pipe
$10       STI BPV (used 6,000 miles)		
$330      VF39 Turbo (used 6,000 miles)		
$50       Uppipe	(used)
$450      Invidia catted downpipe	
$195      Ebay catback, identical to GMS catback.
$76       Grimmspeed Exhaust Gaskets	
$95       GrimmSpeed 3-Port BCS	
$150      Opensource Tune by a guy (with a good reputation) on the local Subaru forums
I can't really give any feedback on these as I haven't installed them yet. The last part I need is the downpipe and that's coming tomorrow. Then install time is only a week away. (Spring Break :hellyeah:)

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

fletcher posted:

I've got a 2006 Impreza (non-turbo) with 77,000 miles on it. I noticed it was leaking oil so I took it in for service. They said the cylinder gaskets need to be replaced and it'll cost me $2400.

How the gently caress does a meticulously maintained Subaru with that few miles on it need that kind of major service? I've taken it to the dealership every time for service, never missed an oil change, and I saved all the invoices to back that up. I don't know a drat thing about cars, just that I needed to keep mine properly maintained, and I thought I did that.

I definitely don't have $2400 to pay for this so I'm not sure what the hell I'm gonna do. My warranty ran out at 60,000 miles. Anybody have any suggestions? Am I screwed? :(

I just wanted to follow up on this. I called Subaru of America and explained the situation. Told them I had taken good care of the car, serviced it at the dealer every time, etc. They said they would look into it and get back to me. Fast forward a couple weeks later and they got the dealer to discount it to $600, $500 of which SOA is going to cover. So I'm only out $100, which is loving awesome. I <3 Subaru again.

Now my question is, while they are doing that kind of major service, is there anything else I should have them do?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Change the timing belt? It's not due until 105k miles but they have to take off the timing belt right now, right? Of course, if you're not planning on keeping the car for a while or don't mind paying later I'm sure it can wait.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Well, my Forester (2005 XT) is exhibiting yet another problem, I'm starting to worry about its overall health.

Last month, it stalled on me while I was driving around, CEL codes indicated a bad camshaft position sensor, which I replaced. While I was in there, I replaced the crank position sensor as well since it was relatively cheap.

Since then, I've had the occasional problem where it'd start, rev up to about 2k rpm, then the revs would drop significantly, almost to the point of a stall (in fact, it's stalled once on me and I was able to restart it). Someone here suggested I replace the fuel filter, which I did last weekend.

Now, if I restart the car after it only being off a short amount of time (say 5-10 minutes), it will start, rev up, and then nearly stall. After a moment the revs will go back to operating range. When I get going though, I get a fairly significant amount of smoke out the exhaust - it looks like white smoke and smelled slightly oily.

Could it be as simple as too much oil? I was a little low and filled it up on Saturday, so it's entirely possible I overfilled it in a hurry. The oil level on the dipstick is above the "full" hole, but not by what I'd consider a significant amount.

Computer Opponent
Nov 29, 2002

Nothing's gonna ever keep ya down!
My Subaru brand-loyalty got a nice shot in the arm the other day. SOA reimbursed me in full for the fuel leak work I had done prior to the recall. I mean, they owed it to me, and by all means they SHOULD have reimbursed me. They certainly had the option of saying "gently caress you" though.

But they didn't, and now I have 700 dollars that I wasn't expecting, and just convinced my friend to buy a Forester :)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Hollis Brown posted:

My warranty was up a few months ago, but my car has 25k miles on it and I never abused it. How much would a leak-down test run me?
$200 bucks
Worth doing it ASAP just in case you discover anything. Subaru might goodwill you now, but they won't later.
My car had no outside symptoms of a blown piston ring besides some oil consumption (well within normal) until I went cobb stg2.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
So as of a couple weeks ago, my 2003 WRX would rarely make a popping noise ONLY when in reverse and ONLY when backing out to the left, and USUALLY it was restricted to when backing up or down an incline, such as my driveway.

As of yesterday, it started to pop when going forward and to the left, but still just occasionally and not if I'm going very slow, only when going 15+ mph. It might be related to the fact that I happened to hit a monstrous pothole at about 30mph or it could just be wear and tear.

In my limited experience popping while turning is a thing that requires immediate attention if you don't want to post in the "catastrophic mechanical failures" thread. This is correct, right? Any idea what would cause this? I plan to have the shop look at it this weekend, I think, as I need an alignment anyway.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Put a Pioneer U310BT in my 07 Limited, and it owns for the $299 it was on Newegg this week. Really nice bluetooth, nav is decent, detachable face, USB...

I just need to wire an 1/8" stereo jack to the factory AUX jack, put in the XM receiver, and figure out where I want to route the USB cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

warwick5s posted:

Put a Pioneer U310BT in my 07 Limited, and it owns for the $299 it was on Newegg this week. Really nice bluetooth, nav is decent, detachable face, USB...

I always wanted to put a double DIN unit like that in my Subaru. Looks nice and clean.