Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Whiteboy posted:

Woot. After two weeks sitting apart in my garage my bike is finally put back together. I'll get a picture of it later once the clear coat is hard enough that I can polish it+apply the stickers.
Also checked the spark plugs today and they were pretty loose so I guess it was a good thing I checked. going to have to replace them soon as they're pretty old. Do most shops like Kragens and what not stock motorcycle spark plugs or do I need to find a motorcycle specific shop to get some?

Any place should carry your plugs, but I'd call ahead just in case your bike runs some oddball stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Rode it in to work, nothing unusual about that. Only issue is I forgot to look at the forecast last night. Looked fine at my house when I left, hit a few flurries on the way in but no big deal. It has been snowing hard (for TN) since I got to work.

Should be an interesting ride home.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 2, 2010

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
Showed it to a craigslist person.

I think this is worth $1000 or more:

Its listed for $1000

He wasted a ton of my time and wanted to give $700 for it. :mad:

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

That sucks. There are too many tire kickers out there. I've found that when I sell anything like that I'll just list it for the lowest price I'll take and tell the person that is the bottom line price.

Have them bring that much money if they want to even look at it or don't bother.

Time is worth money and people will waste yours.

Good luck on the sale.

Upside Potential
Jun 14, 2006
If you think this guy is terrible, wait till next year.
I got my bike started. However, during the winter the 26 year old fuel line dry rotted and developed a hole. So, fuel was dumping everywhere. To replace the fuel line you have to take out the carbs :gonk:

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

sklnd posted:

Showed it to a craigslist person.

I think this is worth $1000 or more:

Its listed for $1000

He wasted a ton of my time and wanted to give $700 for it. :mad:

Personally, I think his offer was reasonable, if a hundred or so low. But then again, I'm a jerk.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
List it for more than you are willing to take and negotiate down. That's how things work, people want to feel like they are getting a good deal.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

n8r posted:

List it for more than you are willing to take and negotiate down. That's how things work, people want to feel like they are getting a good deal.

I do this quite a bit. The F2 is listed for 1500$, I'd take 1200$ from someone random, or less from a friend or someone I know from a site.

The 636 was listed for 3600$, I sold it for 3450, I would have taken 3200$.

Z1000 was listed for 2600$, sold for 2400$, was considering at one point selling for 2k.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Found a Motion Pro hex tool for removing axles that was $43. Bought a 13/16th spark plug socket for $3.79, turned it backwards and used that instead (it's exactly 22mm).

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Recently I accepted my fate for 2010, that I would keep my Ninja 500 instead of selling it and getting a SV650. That said, today I was cleaning my chain and noticed that on the exterior side, it's pretty clean, but on the other, inside side there's thin layers of rust on the chain links. I scrubbed them pretty hard with my grunge brush but couldn't get much off, just got speckles off. The o-rings look mostly clean, with slight, slight blushing of rusty red in some areas. Is this chain allright?

Also, rust spots have now appeared on my exhaust pipes. How do I fight this? :(

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Z3n posted:

I do this quite a bit. The F2 is listed for 1500$, I'd take 1200$ from someone random, or less from a friend or someone I know from a site.

Z1000 was listed for 2600$, sold for 2400$, was considering at one point selling for 2k.

How much time did you spend haggling with potential buyers and having several people ride the bikes before you sold them?

Sometimes it is worth it but a lot of times it doesn't end up being.

Scrapez fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 5, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Scrapez posted:

How much time did you spend haggling with potential buyers and having several people ride the bikes before you sold them?

Sometimes it is worth it but a lot of times it doesn't end up being.

I don't haggle unless they're in person without extenuating circumstances (I dropped the price for the guy willing to hop a train from SD to get the bike).

I don't allow test rides without cash in hand. I've made exceptions on occasion but that's clear, upfront, and simple. 90% of the time, once the cash is in my hand and they get on the bike, it's sold. In fact, I don't think I've ever had someone dick me around, mostly because I demand the asking amount up front. I've had the occasional sacrifice sale (the triumph, :sigh:), but for the rest of them, it's cash up front, test rides with a valid M1, and you drop it, you buy it.

I think it helps that I know my poo poo, and I simply don't BS about my bikes. It is what it is, I will tell you everything about it.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR

n8r posted:

Well the guy wanted to give $750 (which is as much as he would come up) or he walked.... to go buy an older salvage title ninja for $1200.

I let him.

Maybe I should have listed it for $1200 but I have zero interest in dickering with a person to stroke their ego. I guess that'll cost me some time on selling it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

sklnd posted:

Well the guy wanted to give $750 (which is as much as he would come up) or he walked.... to go buy an older salvage title ninja for $1200.

I let him.

Maybe I should have listed it for $1200 but I have zero interest in dickering with a person to stroke their ego. I guess that'll cost me some time on selling it.

It's not just stroking their ego, it's that people look at a streetfightered bike for xx$ and think "Oh man, that's a crashed out piece of poo poo!". Where as if you list it at xxx$ they go "custom! holy poo poo!". It's really stupid but I've seen it time and time again.

Streetfighters are always a bitch to sell anyways. I'm not looking forward to selling the 9.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
Pulled the carbs today, ordered the parts I didn't replace last season. Hoping to bring it back from the grave (first winter outside in 28 years).

http://twitpic.com/16mu99

UserNotFound fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Mar 5, 2010

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Went for a short ride, found out my GSXR gets 30 MPG, then got unnerved when holding the clutch in first gear the bike revved up to 10,000 RPM all on it's own. jesus. Then it did it again. I'm gonna email toyota and see if they sourced some parts to Suzuki.... ZING!

No seriously the throttle cable must be binding or there's ghosts in it or something.

Upside Potential
Jun 14, 2006
If you think this guy is terrible, wait till next year.
I got the '84 GPz 550 running and took it for a spin. 28 degrees is very cold on a biek

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009
Applied decals and stuck on new grips+tank pad thing :)

Click here for the full 1600x1202 image.

DiscoKid
May 25, 2004

by Fistgrrl
It's been mid 30's to 40's here the last week with sunshine and dry roads, tempting me to take it out for a spin, but less than 72 hours ago some dude loving tanked his poo poo and killed himself because he was going too fast (and I assume, because there's still salt pilled (yes 'pilled' not 'piled') all over roads at random).

Waiting. Standing in my garage, patting it. But waiting.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you
Stroked it lovingly while telling tales of my upcoming weekend run. :parrot:

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
Changed the fluid and bled the clutch on the ST.

Also, I'm beginning to really dislike most bike shops. The bike was serviced by the Honda dealer in San Marcos before I bought it, and according to the PO they flushed the clutch lines when they did the oil change. Bullshit I say, and between this and the oil filter they installed that I had to muscle off by punching a screwdriver through it, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. Fortunately, if I need Honda OEM parts I can order them online or I can go to the other dealer in Georgetown that I do trust.

That fluid was nasty. Brown like iced tea and plenty of grunge in the reservoir like it's been in there since 2003. I drained it down, sopped up the remaining fluid up top, cleaned the reservoir with q-tips, then flushed the lines with fresh new Valvoline synthetic DOT4 fluid. Gravity bled it for a bit, then did ye olde pumppumppumppumphold-openbleeder-closebleeder routine. Nothing but nice clean fluid coming out of the clutch bleeder now, and quick spin around the block confirmed that we're ready for the commute to work tomorrow morning.

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.
Got the Cylinder head on. Then took it off when I forgot to put new O-rings in. Put it back on. Took it off again when I realized I forgot to install the new head gasket. Got it on again! Took it off when I found a drat paper towel stuffed down there. Put it on, torqued down the bolts and...It stayed on that time! I have to tell you, a Torque wrench is at once both the most awesome tool and most frightening. That click is amazingly satisfying, but every second up to it is full of "Oh god I hope my torque wrench is accurate and I don't strip these bolts oh god."

Other than that, I started putting the new clutch bits in and decided to stop for the night when I found that the bolts wanted to be torqued to 29-53 inch pounds. hats about 4 foot lbs. I don't think my Wrench, loyal though it is, can go down that far, so I get to buy another wrench tomorrow!

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

DiscoKid posted:

It's been mid 30's to 40's here the last week with sunshine and dry roads, tempting me to take it out for a spin, but less than 72 hours ago some dude loving tanked his poo poo and killed himself because he was going too fast (and I assume, because there's still salt pilled (yes 'pilled' not 'piled') all over roads at random).
Well then, don't go 'too fast'. Duh!

It's been sunny and a warm 45+ degrees this week here in Denver, and I've gotten one bike or another out of the garage and ridden 3-5 miles each night. drat, it gets cold *fast* when the sun goes behind the mountains.

But I'm riding.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

n8r posted:

To add my opinion in here: I hate haggling and I hate dealing with people who think they're some sort of whiz kid by fighting every last ten dollar bill on the price of something. I find that I attract smarter, easier people to deal with when I list a reasonable bottom price and specifically state that I'll refuse to sell if you try to haggle. I guess it's worth $100 I might have earned loving around with some idiot over the price to not have to deal with. It also lowers my chances of having said idiot come back to me over whatever nit picky crap after the sale.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

DiscoKid posted:

Learned that lesson last time I was out. Throttle pinned in 3rd climbing a big hill; when I reached the crest, I drifted into the center of the lane (between the tracks where car tires run). Wheelspin/death wobble/soiled shorts.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I haven't had any problems with salt and sand, and I've been riding all winter except for when snow's on the ground. And yes, I'm riding in an area where they pile that poo poo on (New England). I'm also not exactly dragging knee or going 150mph.

TiberiusM
Sep 10, 2006
Rode it! 2 miles, then it died. Then I dropped it before loading it into the back of a truck. Think the carbs are clogged :/ The drop didn't unclog them unfortunately.

40 degrees at the time with snow on the ground but not the roads. I think its finally going to melt soon.

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009
Polished my bike to get ride of some minor scratches. Worked like a charm :)

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
Swapped in a 15-tooth front sprocket today. It's pretty amazing; first gear is tall enough to be useful now, and I didn't feel like I needed to upshift when I hit 60 on the highway. I haven't noticed much loss of torque either, so it seems like a pretty useful mod for the $15 (+shipping) I spent on it.

Teus
Dec 25, 2009
hooked the bike up to a brand new trickle charger.
worked on fairing damage and am preparing it for a respray!

photos tomorrow after the body filler, should give good before/after photos

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I rode it. Yay for nice weather! Just a short jaunt to get a feel for it. It needs some adjustments. Notably, the left clip-on needs to be widened a hair.

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

I just love the game. I can't get enough of hackey!
Chalk up another poster for the "What did I do to my ride today? I BOUGHT it!" column.

08 Suzuki GS500e, almost like new. Hopefully this doesn't end in tears :ohdear:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Put a new gas tank on the Urban Express. Found that the in-tank screen was definitely not letting fuel through for some reason, despite looking clear. Washed the Buell, but no riding today since it's a day off spent with the family.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
Sold it!

Got $800 for it. The buyer was a super nice guy. :)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Rode it...520 interstate miles...gently caress

SV did great and rode well all day. Me on the other hand, I'm a bit sore but learned some things I will change before I attempt a long ride again (windscreen, lower pegs). The weather was beautiful though and the ride was nice.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...
Put the carbs and what's left of the fairings back on, then ground off some useless brackets.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
Put on my Buell footpegs on the SV650. Lowers pegs around 1.5". Good for my 6'3" self. They feel weird but nice. I will just have to get used to it.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Took the KTM to the doctors for an electrical gremlin. Sat on an RC8R, 990 SuperDuke, 690 Duke. Fell in love many times over.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I'm hoping that my Ducati problems are over. I picked up the Hyper today and I think the brake problems have been fixed. Here is a timeline:

Bike purchased in July of 09. I took the bike to the shop from which I purchased for service.

1st service: Front brakes making noise under aggressive braking/Wiring harness also replaced under recall. I also had them look at the front right caliper due to clacking noise.
Result: New rotors installed, brake problem not corrected. Harness replaced. Brakes still clacking.

2nd service: Front brakes making noise under aggressive braking. Oil leak. I also had them look at the front right caliper due to clacking noise, again.
Result: Front pads replaced, brake problem not corrected. First oil leak fixed, new oil leak. Brakes still clacking.

3rd service: Front brakes making noise under aggressive braking. New oil leak. I had them look at the front right caliper due to clacking noise, again.
Result: Brake problem not corrected. New oil leak fixed. Brakes still clacking.

4th service: Front brakes making noise under aggressive braking. I had them look at the front right caliper due to clacking noise, again. The new service manager thought the clacking noise was coming from the left fork leg. He replaced the damper assembly in the left fork leg under warranty. I asked about having the pads replaced, again, under warranty but was told that Ducati NA would not cover that.
Result: Brake problem not corrected. Brakes still clacking.

At this point I got fed up with the original shop. I know that I should have gone somewhere else after the first visit but they are close and I have a good relationship with everyone there and I thought that they would make it right. After the fourth service the bike had been in the shop for just under 10 weeks. I decided to go to the shop that wins Ducati NA service center of the year, every year.

5th service: Front brakes making noise under aggressive braking. I had them look at the front right caliper due to clacking noise.
Result: Brake noise gone, pads replaced under warranty. I was told that the clacking noise was normal for the type of brakes on my bike.

If the first shop had told me that the clacking noise was normal I would have been satisfied but they kept treating the issue as if it were a problem. The new shop is well respected in the Ducati community so I have no problem believing that the clacking is normal.

Also, somewhere in there the right side hand guard was broken, I'm assuming, while it was in the shop. It was replaced under warranty but the bike was not rideable due to the hand guard housing the turn signal and mirror.

The bike has been in the shop for a total of 12 weeks in 9 months of ownership. I've only been able to accumulate 650 miles in the time that it has been in my possession. I am optimistic that it has finally been fixed proper and hope to put many happy miles on in the future.

This is the clacking noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNBmw0yBa0w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Z3n posted:

Hah i'd totally take your F2 if I had the funds right now, I love the bike.