Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

Mthrboard posted:

Well, as far as the shower goes, I took apart the valve, and everything was completely clear that I could see. I reassembled everything, turned it on, and now the water is piping hot. Maybe something was out of whack previously, who knows. :iiam:

As for the water heater, I removed the mixing valve, in the process I noticed that the valve was completely frozen, I couldn't turn it a millimeter in either direction. I turned the temp down to 120, and that seems to be working fine for now too. The cold water is finally cold...and it's noticeably colder than it was before, now that there's no hot water mixing with it. The hot water isn't quite as hot as it got before, but it's still plenty hot for me. Now I just have to wait for the next heavy use day to see if the water still stays hot throughout the day.
To adjust that missing valve did you loosen the screw in the center and then pull the handle out a little then turn it? It has a tamper proof screw to keep people from adjusting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

I've got what I hope is a simple plumbing question.

I've moved the wall drain for my washing machine. The old drain is galvanized steel with a roof vent. I'm thinking that I might just leave the old plumbing in place and bury it behind the new wall or at the very least, bury the roof vent behind the wall and take out the old drain and p-trap.

So my question is - What is the best way to cap the roof vent? Can I use one of those rupper quick caps with the pipe clamp or is there a better/more permanent solution?

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

If you wire brush the threads you can put a cap on there with some wrenches. If you choose to go th erubber cap route you should be fine till you can patch the hole int he roof.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Thanks for the info. Was just up on the roof to install a temporary rubber cap and it looks like it's just straight pipe.

I probably won't be completing this project for a while so I'll just leave it capped off for now and pull the whole pipe and fix the roof.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

TouchyMcFeely posted:

Thanks for the info. Was just up on the roof to install a temporary rubber cap and it looks like it's just straight pipe.

I probably won't be completing this project for a while so I'll just leave it capped off for now and pull the whole pipe and fix the roof.

Why not just capt the hold drain in the wall and leave the vent open? It wont hurt anything to have it open.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

I'm concerned that it will fill up with water if I cap it in the wall. It's just an open pipe pointed at the sky.

When I moved the drain I disconnected the vent from the plumbing as well. I installed a AAV with the new plumbing but the old vent and drain aren't attached to anything anymore.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

TouchyMcFeely posted:

I'm concerned that it will fill up with water if I cap it in the wall. It's just an open pipe pointed at the sky.

When I moved the drain I disconnected the vent from the plumbing as well. I installed a AAV with the new plumbing but the old vent and drain aren't attached to anything anymore.

Oh sorry I thought you were just taking out the P trap. Now i see why you capped it at the roof.

Mthrboard
Aug 24, 2002
Grimey Drawer

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

To adjust that missing valve did you loosen the screw in the center and then pull the handle out a little then turn it? It has a tamper proof screw to keep people from adjusting it.

No, I didn't try that...but the valve has a factory sticker on the knob covering the screw. I tried it just now out of curiosity, and it still wouldn't budge no matter how loose the screw was. I did just find a manual for this valve online with a plumbing schematic that shows a check valve should be installed on the cold side, I'm guessing to prevent the exact situation I was having. I'm going to take apart the valve and see if I can can get it spinning again, then if I need to revert back, I will follow the schematic and install a proper check valve. But so far, the lower temp and direct connections seem to be working fine.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

So another quick question - Can I use the flexible rubber couplers if they are going to be buried behind a wall or am I better off using rigid, glue on ABS couplers instead?

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

A fernco is approved if if it has a metal wrap around it. (Home depot sells them). If you can use a glue abs coupling i would. You only use a fernco if you have no room to move the pipe to install a coupling.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Just to be sure, you're talking about this style correct?

I figured the ABS coupler would be better but unfortunately it's a pretty tight area I have to work with and I don't know if it will fit. I'll probably buy both and try the ABS first but if there isn't room go for the rubber.

Thanks again!

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

TouchyMcFeely posted:

Just to be sure, you're talking about this style correct?

I figured the ABS coupler would be better but unfortunately it's a pretty tight area I have to work with and I don't know if it will fit. I'll probably buy both and try the ABS first but if there isn't room go for the rubber.

Thanks again!

Yep tha'ts a fernco, now if the coupling doesnt work you will have to cut it out and put in two fernco's since theirs only like a less than a 1/4inch gap between both pipes on a fernco. All you have to do is roll the rubber of the fernco with the shield below it, then roll the rubber back over when the other pipe is lined up. Slide shield over rubber pipe and tighten with a nut driver.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Huh. That shielded thing is probably what I should have on my main sewer pipe, then?

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Edit - oh, maybe not since the pipe is exposed rather than behind a wall.

Sybok
May 25, 2006
Been having trouble with my kitchen sink draining extremely slowly. the blockage is further down the line because it takes a minute to fill up then it does not drain nearly at all. I took the p-trap off and ran a smaller snake down the pipe about 6-7 feet or so. It made no difference. Any suggestions on what to do?

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Sybok posted:

Been having trouble with my kitchen sink draining extremely slowly. the blockage is further down the line because it takes a minute to fill up then it does not drain nearly at all. I took the p-trap off and ran a smaller snake down the pipe about 6-7 feet or so. It made no difference. Any suggestions on what to do?

You could try a water jet. It hooks up to a hose and you shove it down the drain. it shoots out a tiny jet of water to clear the clogs. I cant find a picture on amazon.com becuase i cant find the exact name.

You're only other choice would be calling professional with a bigger powered snake.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The last few times I've run the dishwasher there is a strong sewer smell afterward coming from the sink drains and faintly from the dishwasher. A couple of months ago we had the pipes under the kitchen snaked and since then the drains are working great. The traps are intact and there don't appear to be any leaks. But this smell is disgusting and I need to do something asap. Any ideas why the smell is getting out of the vents? Plugged vent? But then why wouldn't it smell all the time?

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

wormil posted:

The last few times I've run the dishwasher there is a strong sewer smell afterward coming from the sink drains and faintly from the dishwasher. A couple of months ago we had the pipes under the kitchen snaked and since then the drains are working great. The traps are intact and there don't appear to be any leaks. But this smell is disgusting and I need to do something asap. Any ideas why the smell is getting out of the vents? Plugged vent? But then why wouldn't it smell all the time?

If the vents are plugged the trap will get siphoned cuase of the vacuum.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

If the vents are plugged the trap will get siphoned cuase of the vacuum.

Does that mean a plugged vent could be causing the problem? Is there an easy way to unplug it? Run a water hose down there? Or do I need to snake it?

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

wormil posted:

Does that mean a plugged vent could be causing the problem? Is there an easy way to unplug it? Run a water hose down there? Or do I need to snake it?
Yes a vent is most likely the problem. I'd try snaking it but a hose may work but u run the risk of flooding your house if it pushes the blockage down into the drain and poo poo comes out the dirty arm.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Okay thanks. I'm off tomorrow then to beg, borrow or buy a snake.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

wormil posted:

Okay thanks. I'm off tomorrow then to beg, borrow or buy a snake.

You can get a drum snake for like $15 at home depot.Its not a bad tool to own.

Turd Herder fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 9, 2010

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Update on sewer smell from drains/dishwaser: I haven't snaked anything yet but I went up on the roof and shined a high power flashdown down each vent stack and there were no obstructions I could see, and I could see down a long way. I'm going to buy a snake anyway but are there other potential causes?

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

wormil posted:

Update on sewer smell from drains/dishwaser: I haven't snaked anything yet but I went up on the roof and shined a high power flashdown down each vent stack and there were no obstructions I could see, and I could see down a long way. I'm going to buy a snake anyway but are there other potential causes?

Did you snake the vent that was close to the fixture that is smelling. Have you troubleshooted where the smell is coming from. I mean plug the drain and see if the smell stops. If it doesn't then you may have a clean out leaking.

Have you opened up the p trap and seen if there is water in it?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

Did you snake the vent that was close to the fixture that is smelling. Have you troubleshooted where the smell is coming from. I mean plug the drain and see if the smell stops. If it doesn't then you may have a clean out leaking.

Have you opened up the p trap and seen if there is water in it?

No, haven't snaked anything yet. There is water in the p trap. It occurred to me that this started after I began using a bacteria based drain cleaner that is supposed to eat fats. I began to wonder if this stuff was feeding on food waste and producing gas. So I poured a cup of bleach down each drain and into the dishwasher, waited 15 minutes, flushed with hot water and 2 hot rinses through the dishwasher -- no smell. I'm running the dishwasher right now and I'll know if there is any change in about 30 minutes or so. If it does smell then tomorrow I'll snake the vent.

Update, still stinks. Plugging the drains had no effect.

wormil fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 11, 2010

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

If there is water in the P trap then the smell isnt coming from there. You have a broken or open line some where. Is there any clean outs on the kitchen sink?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

If there is water in the P trap then the smell isnt coming from there. You have a broken or open line some where. Is there any clean outs on the kitchen sink?

Any clean outs would be under the house. I'll go under to check things out.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
We've noticed that the pedestal sink in our downstairs bathroom is a bit wobbly.

It turns out that it is completely missing the two bolts that mount the underside of the bowl to the wall. They didn't even drill holes, the previous owners just forgot or were lazy. Awesome.

Also in their laziness, they extended the drain pipe tailpiece by having it simply sit in the P-trap. No slip nut, no washer. This, with the wobbly basin, make for a sink that is prone to leaking.

I have it all disassembled, and I bought a proper pipe extension tube. My problem is that the diameter of the tailpiece is smaller than 1-1/2 inch standard pipe. I guess it's 1-1/4? It's PVC, I have no idea what the standard diameters are.

What can I do here? What type of adapter do I need? I'd rather not have to weld anything if I can help it. Some googling brings up types such as schedule 40 and 80 and mips and I have no idea what these terms mean or what I am dealing with.

Thank you.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Unless you got some serious clearance underneath that sink, you'll have to take that bowl off of the wall to be able to drill pilot holes to attach the bolts. If it wasn't attached, then it's possible that they didn't line the up the sink to the studs properly, in which case you may need to move the sink left or right to attach it properly. Is that wall drywall, plaster or tile with concrete backer board?

As for the drain, I would honestly set a bucket under the P trap, take the trap off and empty it, then stuff a rag in the drain to keep out the sewer gas. Take the drain pipe off the bottom of the sink with a monkey wrench. Take both of of those to the hardware store and don't leave until you find something that fits the nut on the underside of the sink and the drain hole pipe.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Kaluza-Klein posted:

We've noticed that the pedestal sink in our downstairs bathroom is a bit wobbly.

It turns out that it is completely missing the two bolts that mount the underside of the bowl to the wall. They didn't even drill holes, the previous owners just forgot or were lazy. Awesome.

Also in their laziness, they extended the drain pipe tailpiece by having it simply sit in the P-trap. No slip nut, no washer. This, with the wobbly basin, make for a sink that is prone to leaking.

I have it all disassembled, and I bought a proper pipe extension tube. My problem is that the diameter of the tailpiece is smaller than 1-1/2 inch standard pipe. I guess it's 1-1/4? It's PVC, I have no idea what the standard diameters are.

What can I do here? What type of adapter do I need? I'd rather not have to weld anything if I can help it. Some googling brings up types such as schedule 40 and 80 and mips and I have no idea what these terms mean or what I am dealing with.

Thank you.
edit: Huge typo

Give me a picture of the drain and i can tell you what you need to adapt it. 1.5 inch is standard now but you see alot of 1.25 pipe in older houses. You don't have to take anything off the wall it should be fairly easy to fix.

Dont move the center of the ped sink because its most likely centered in the spot its in. If you move it left or right its going to look stupid for not being in the center of the room.

Turd Herder fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 15, 2010

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Should have posted this here in the first place:

quote:

So today was a pretty laid back DIY day, primed the bedroom and got ready to do some painting tomorrow.

Then I took a shower and the bathroom flooded with an inch of water. So:

1) Mopped it out
2) Dried it off
3) Turned off the toilet
4) Ran the faucet in the tub x 2min: no problems
5) Without delay, switched to the showerhead x 2min: water began to seep up from under the toilet (at which point I shut down the shower), and continued until I had about 1/2 inch of water in the bathroom again.

The house has neither bathroom nor crawlspace, being built on a concrete slab. Hooked directly into the municipial sewer system; however it has been raining non-stop for about two days.

What the hell is going on?

Update:
Cleaned the paintbrushes in the kitchen sink, and the bathroom flooded. Apparently water usage anywhere in the house will cause the bathroom to flood.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

Should have posted this here in the first place:

Could be a broken drain line or a broken water line. Pull the toilet and see what you find.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

Could be a broken drain line or a broken water line. Pull the toilet and see what you find.

Uh, what should I be looking for?

Also, why would using water in the kitchen flood my bathroom? I was assuming a backed up / plugged up sewer main or something.

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 15, 2010

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

Uh, what should I be looking for?
See if you can tell where the water is coming from

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

See if you can tell where the water is coming from

The water comes up from under the toilet when I run the shower or kitchen sink for an extended period of time.

The water does not appear if I just flush the toilet.

When I "pull the toilet", should I then deliberately attempt to re-flood the bathroom? What would I be looking for to diagnose the problem?

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

I mean pull the toilet and see if the water is coming out of the drain, or around the drain. Or some other spot near the toilet. I cant tell you whats the problem with out knowing where the water is exactly coming from.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

I mean pull the toilet and see if the water is coming out of the drain, or around the drain. Or some other spot near the toilet. I cant tell you whats the problem with out knowing where the water is exactly coming from.

Got it. Tomorrow: I flood my bathroom.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

kid sinister posted:

Unless you got some serious clearance underneath that sink, you'll have to take that bowl off of the wall to be able to drill pilot holes to attach the bolts. If it wasn't attached, then it's possible that they didn't line the up the sink to the studs properly, in which case you may need to move the sink left or right to attach it properly. Is that wall drywall, plaster or tile with concrete backer board?

As for the drain, I would honestly set a bucket under the P trap, take the trap off and empty it, then stuff a rag in the drain to keep out the sewer gas. Take the drain pipe off the bottom of the sink with a monkey wrench. Take both of of those to the hardware store and don't leave until you find something that fits the nut on the underside of the sink and the drain hole pipe.

I had the sink in pieces on my bathroom floor already :). The solution ended up being very simple. The guy at lowes gave me a washer that you use with a 1-1/2" slipnut to lock on to a 1-1/4" pipe.

The whole thing went back together beautifully. The sink bowl is now attached with the brace that holds it up along the back, as well as two new 1/2" bolts. Unfortunately, there are no studs where the bolt holes are, so I had to use some very large sheet rock anchors.

Also, a little more precariously, the pedestal itself is not bolted to the floor. I am a little weary about drilling into the tile floor, as I really won't know what to do if I crack it! I just need the proper type of drill bit, eh? And then, what type of bolt/screws do I use? Would it need an anchor?

edit: Also, this diagram is quite nice: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-to/enlarge/0,,221693_20075146,00.html

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I had the sink in pieces on my bathroom floor already :). The solution ended up being very simple. The guy at lowes gave me a washer that you use with a 1-1/2" slipnut to lock on to a 1-1/4" pipe.

The whole thing went back together beautifully. The sink bowl is now attached with the brace that holds it up along the back, as well as two new 1/2" bolts. Unfortunately, there are no studs where the bolt holes are, so I had to use some very large sheet rock anchors.

Also, a little more precariously, the pedestal itself is not bolted to the floor. I am a little weary about drilling into the tile floor, as I really won't know what to do if I crack it! I just need the proper type of drill bit, eh? And then, what type of bolt/screws do I use? Would it need an anchor?

edit: Also, this diagram is quite nice: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-to/enlarge/0,,221693_20075146,00.html

I'd just silicon the base to the floor. IT will hold it perfectly fine and if you do a good job no one will notice.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I just need the proper type of drill bit, eh? And then, what type of bolt/screws do I use? Would it need an anchor?

To drill into tile, you need (big surprise) a tile bit! You can also use a masonry bit, but that's a little harder to use since you need to worry about the tip walking off the point you set it on. You can use a center punch and a light tap with a hammer to make a 'dimple' to keep the bit from walking, but most people are leery about taking a hammer and basically a big nail to their tile...

What is the tile stuck to, the subfloor or a thin cement layer? What is the subfloor in that bathroom made of? Does your home have a slab foundation, or is that a basement bathroom?

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 15, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

Turned out to be clogged up. Had it roto-rootered.