Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Also, can someone recommend a development tank? I have two identical black plastic tanks that hold two 35mm rolls each. The white plastic rolls that you ratchet the film onto are shot. They don't seem to last very long.

I'm surprised that the reels wore out. Did you buy them new? I have a couple of Paterson tanks and reels, and they're made of some kind of very solid high-impact plastic that seems very hard to damage (and obviously they're made to stand up to chemicals). All of mine I got used from flea markets and thrift stores, though, so maybe new ones use a different type of plastic.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I also got a stainless steel tank with a pair of 35mm reels (as well as 4-5 spools for 120) that came with the enlarger I picked up last week, but they look like they'd be more of a PITA to use than the plastic ones. Haven't tried/risked any film on them yet.

I used to use stainless steel reels exclusively. They take a fair bit of practise to learn to load, but once you get it they're actually faster than a Paterson reel. Given that basically no one is working with film in a high-pressure environment any more, it probably doesn't matter. You can load them while they're wet, though, and you can develop subminiature film by putting a cylindrical section of soda bottle around a 120 reel and taping the film to it in a spiral, emulsion side out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Sure, I was just wondering if there is a brand I should try to find, or any I should try to avoid. I don't know if these didn't hold up because I was rough with them, or if they are just cheap.

Can you post a picture of the tanks? AP reels will fit in Paterson tanks but Paterson reels don't fit so well in AP tanks.

If you're looking for an all-in-one solution, get the AP 2-reel tank. It comes with reels, unlike the Paterson tanks. Plus the AP reels are super easy to load.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

orange lime posted:

I used to use stainless steel reels exclusively. They take a fair bit of practise to learn to load, but once you get it they're actually faster than a Paterson reel. Given that basically no one is working with film in a high-pressure environment any more, it probably doesn't matter. You can load them while they're wet, though, and you can develop subminiature film by putting a cylindrical section of soda bottle around a 120 reel and taping the film to it in a spiral, emulsion side out.

I've heard they're better for doing C-41 and E-6, as the stainless steel conducts heat better than plastic (so the temperature of your bath = the temperature of your chemicals/film). I've actually been considering giving home color processing a whirl, as I'm getting in to 4x5 and have a stockpile of color film that would probably cost me at least $650 in processing (not to mention postage) if I sent it all out. Wouldn't be the same reels, but since I'd have the chemicals on hand might be worth giving it a whirl for 35mm.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Anyone tried those Jobo processors or anything? What I'd like is one of those things that rolls the tank so I can go do something else while waiting for those 25 minute developments.

On a side note, I tried doing the "two rolls of 120 on one reel" trick and it worked fine. I used the same amount of developer as two rolls to make sure there was enough juice.

fartzilla
Dec 30, 2009

how disgusting

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I've heard they're better for doing C-41 and E-6, as the stainless steel conducts heat better than plastic (so the temperature of your bath = the temperature of your chemicals/film). I've actually been considering giving home color processing a whirl, as I'm getting in to 4x5 and have a stockpile of color film that would probably cost me at least $650 in processing (not to mention postage) if I sent it all out. Wouldn't be the same reels, but since I'd have the chemicals on hand might be worth giving it a whirl for 35mm.

I've heard the opposite, that plastic is better for color because it helps insulate the chemicals and keeps them at whatever temperature they already are. I think it depends a lot on your methods for keeping the temperature steady and whether you like the plastic or metal reels.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

HPL posted:

Can you post a picture of the tanks? AP reels will fit in Paterson tanks but Paterson reels don't fit so well in AP tanks.

If you're looking for an all-in-one solution, get the AP 2-reel tank. It comes with reels, unlike the Paterson tanks. Plus the AP reels are super easy to load.

"Made in Spain" is the only identifying mark that I can see.

The tanks are from a friend, so they are used. No idea how old they are or how much abuse they had prior to me ruining them.

trueblue
Oct 10, 2004
Can we still be friends?

Another scanner question - has anyone here used the Plustek OpticFilm 7200? It's old/cheap but offers a significant sharpness/resolution advantage over my Canon flatbed. My only concern is - I searched flickr for photos from it, and I see a lot of blown highlights, I'm not sure if this is a problem with the scanner or just crappy photos/scanning technique.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Kaluza-Klein posted:

"Made in Spain" is the only identifying mark that I can see.

The tanks are from a friend, so they are used. No idea how old they are or how much abuse they had prior to me ruining them.

Those look like the lower-end AP tanks. They're made in Spain. The reels look like older ones. The current AP reels have big flanges on the inside for easy loading.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can't imagine loading film with those tiny flanges. The new style reels make it so ridiculously easy, but they feel almost like a necessity.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Film can stick to plastic tanks, sire, its mostly off frame, but it's still annoying to have splotches on your film no matter where it is.

I pushed some film to 6400 and the edges on both sides were totally black, exact;y where the film would touch the edges of the plastic ridges :(

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Is anyone here an expert in scanners and scanning? I have a peculiar situation.

So I've got three different film formats to scan, in both negative and reversal: 135, 120 and 9.5mm Minox. I have a Canon flatbed scanner, which does a great job scanning prints and documents, at up to 4800 dpi (though I really only use 2400). It came with an illuminator that works pretty decently for 135 and *sort of* for the Minox film, and not at all for 120. So I'm building myself a new full-bed illuminator out of an old LCD screen's lamp and diffuser, and a piece of plexiglas to hold the film flat. I figure I'll tape the film to the bottom of the plexiglas (or even wet-mount if I get really hardcore) and support it with shims (pieces of photo paper, probably) at the same height that the included illuminator supports the film. Add or remove shims to adjust focus, etc.

The major problem is that the Canoscan software is kind of weak. When I set it to scan a negative, it only scans in the thin strip where the 135 illuminator fits. I don't understand why it does this, when the whole strip moves, but eh. Anyway this is obviously useless for scanning 120 film. Setting it to scan an opaque document uses the whole bed, but the colors seem muted and dull.

So, is there a way to get raw data out of a Canon flatbed scanner? And does anyone know what is happening with the color differences between transparent and opaque media settings? Any other tips for getting the best scans from a flatbed?

I can scan plain paper with my flatbed to such a high resolution that the fibers become a nuisance, so there should be no reason that with the proper setup and mounting I can't get the same from film.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
Blue Horeshoe Loves Anacot Steel

Pompous Rhombus posted:

You can get good 35mm reels from Freestyle...they are made by the Hewes company of England and they beat the pants off of any plastic reel for ease of loading and durability. They have a "fork" which slots in to the sprocket holes of the 35mm reel. All you have to do is drag the film across it and it will snag and you can wind as normal. Super simple.

http://freestylephoto.biz/140135-Hewes-Pro-Stainless-Steel-Reel-35mm

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

killabyte posted:

You can get good 35mm reels from Freestyle...they are made by the Hewes company of England and they beat the pants off of any plastic reel for ease of loading and durability. They have a "fork" which slots in to the sprocket holes of the 35mm reel. All you have to do is drag the film across it and it will snag and you can wind as normal. Super simple.

http://freestylephoto.biz/140135-Hewes-Pro-Stainless-Steel-Reel-35mm

Seconding those Hewes reels. I have a couple and I spent a few days practice loading them while watching TV until I don't even have to think about it when loading in my changing bag. I actually find them easier to load than the plastic ratcheting type now, and much faster. If you get steel reels, just search Youtube for videos of how to load. Once I saw it done, it was no problem.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
Hewes kicks rear end. Those plastic ratcheting reels seemed okay for medium format, but for 35mm, I love my metal reels and tanks. After one fuckup during the first week of Photo 1, they've never been a problem again.

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

When I got back into film, I bought what I learned on (stainless tanks & reels). They are a little harder to learn for some, but I love them. Not sure about heat/temp transfer, but then again I get my bathroom to temp several hours before I do anything and have all the gear in there before I start. The water temp shouldn't really be impacted by metal or plastic too much.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Martytoof posted:

I can't imagine loading film with those tiny flanges. The new style reels make it so ridiculously easy, but they feel almost like a necessity.

They are all I have known :(. I always thought they were easy enough. The problem is that the grooves that you slide the two halves of the reel together on are shot, and the ratcheting action doesn't work most of the time.

Tez
Apr 25, 2004
Nothing Really Matters..........
I am starting to get into film and looking to buy a film camera. I am looking at the Canon A-1 or Nikon F3....what do you guys suggest? Help a noob out.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Tez posted:

I am starting to get into film and looking to buy a film camera. I am looking at the Canon A-1 or Nikon F3....what do you guys suggest? Help a noob out.

What are you shooting right now?

Tez
Apr 25, 2004
Im shooting with the Canon 40D.

Im leaning towards the F3, got a deal with the body 20mm 3.5 and 50mm 1.2. Which is all i need i think.

But my lady friend got a AE-1 recently so i could share lens with her if i got the A-1 i suppose.

What do you think?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I'd get the F3 just for the 50/1.2, but you should be aware it's not exactly a lightweight combination. Get your friend another Nikon :)

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
You could get a film EOS body. That way it'll work with all your EF lenses.

Tez
Apr 25, 2004

HPL posted:

You could get a film EOS body. That way it'll work with all your EF lenses.

True. Any suggestions on a good EOS film camera?

I just thought it'd be good seeing either camera i get i would have a bunch of the lenses that come with it anyways. I only have a couple of lens with my 40D anyways.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006

Tez posted:

True. Any suggestions on a good EOS film camera?

I just thought it'd be good seeing either camera i get i would have a bunch of the lenses that come with it anyways. I only have a couple of lens with my 40D anyways.

The EOS 3 is a great pro level camera on the cheap (I have one). An EOS 1 is like having a film 1D for the price of a rebel.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Film Rebel bodies are so cheap, people use them as door stops.

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009
Now that I've got a few rolls of film developed, I think it would be a good investment to buy a negative scanner. What kind of negative scanner can I expect to get under $150? If nothing under that price, what's the next cheapest option that'll actually give me decent results?

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Epson V500 is what I have. Also, Cannon 800F or something.

The Epson is ok, but there's got to be better scan sw.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
The Nikon 50mm f/1.2 is worth like $400 or so on its own. It's a nice lens, and would be great for portraits on your 40D.

Seconding the V500, I like mine. The negs are often pretty bowed out in the middle on the holders but it doesn't usually seem to effect my scans that much. Disclaimer: I pretty much just scan for sharing on the web.

HPL posted:

Film Rebel bodies are so cheap, people use them as door stops.

They're too light and plasticky to use as an effective doorstop :eng101:

But yeah I paid $10 for my Rebel 2000 (later traded for a Ti) and $20 each for my Elan II's.

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009
It seems the V500 is out of stock everywhere I looked (B&H, Henry's, etc). I guess I'll need to keep an eye open for it.

Tez
Apr 25, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

The Nikon 50mm f/1.2 is worth like $400 or so on its own. It's a nice lens, and would be great for portraits on your 40D.

Seconding the V500, I like mine. The negs are often pretty bowed out in the middle on the holders but it doesn't usually seem to effect my scans that much. Disclaimer: I pretty much just scan for sharing on the web.

But yeah I paid $10 for my Rebel 2000 (later traded for a Ti) and $20 each for my Elan II's.

Sweet...i think i really am leaning towards the F3.

Are the Canon LIDE 600F any good? I can pick up one 2nd hand for about $50AUD. Is it worth it? I heard it is really slow scanning negatives.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Fill them with rocks like I do.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

HPL posted:

Fill them with rocks like I do.
Fill all Canon bodies with rocks

Brozekiel
Jul 20, 2007

DRP Solved! posted:

Now that I've got a few rolls of film developed, I think it would be a good investment to buy a negative scanner. What kind of negative scanner can I expect to get under $150? If nothing under that price, what's the next cheapest option that'll actually give me decent results?

Check out the Canoscan 8800F. I bought one a while back and I like it a lot. The software is easy enough to use and it comes with holders for 35mm, slides, and 120 film. The only downside is it seems sorta slow to me (around 2 minutes @ 1200dpi ((goes up to 4800dpi)) for a full strip ((6-35mm frames or 4-120 frames))) but then again I haven't used any other scanner so I'm not a good judge. I think I paid around 150-180 US$ for mine, so it might be in your budget. It was pretty much the best bang for the buck negative scanner I found after doing a bunch of research.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Interrupting Moss posted:

Fill all Canon bodies with rocks

My Canon has 21 megapebbles.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006

Brozekiel posted:

Check out the Canoscan 8800F. I bought one a while back and I like it a lot. The software is easy enough to use and it comes with holders for 35mm, slides, and 120 film. The only downside is it seems sorta slow to me (around 2 minutes @ 1200dpi ((goes up to 4800dpi)) for a full strip ((6-35mm frames or 4-120 frames))) but then again I haven't used any other scanner so I'm not a good judge. I think I paid around 150-180 US$ for mine, so it might be in your budget. It was pretty much the best bang for the buck negative scanner I found after doing a bunch of research.

I've got one of these and it is ok. Its perfectly fine for posting stuff online, and thats all I wanted out of it. Also according to more than one review the detail is limited by the optics, so settings higher than 1200dpi are pointless.

Brozekiel
Jul 20, 2007

Stregone posted:

I've got one of these and it is ok. Its perfectly fine for posting stuff online, and thats all I wanted out of it. Also according to more than one review the detail is limited by the optics, so settings higher than 1200dpi are pointless.

Yeah same with me, although I have made a few prints from 35mm scans and they've come out fine when printed at 11x14 so it's not out of the question or anything. If you're trying to use it to sell prints, you might be able to get away with it but in that case you'd probably want to drop a bit more than 150 bucks on a film scanner.

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

Try looking for a Epson Perfection 4490, not as :coal: as the 4990, but since the demand is low try finding one for cheap used. I had one for a while I was trying to unload and ended up giving it to a friend.

Fiannaiocht
Aug 21, 2008
Hey I'm going to shoot some expired film next weekend and I was wondering how much degraded the images would be. There are about a fifty rolls of "Seattle FilmWorks 35mm Professional Film" which have a useby date to aug '98. It doesn't sound like there's any special process to develop these but I have no idea if anyone's ever heard of this film company or be able to develop it.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
Blue Horeshoe Loves Anacot Steel

Fiannaiocht posted:

Hey I'm going to shoot some expired film next weekend and I was wondering how much degraded the images would be. There are about a fifty rolls of "Seattle FilmWorks 35mm Professional Film" which have a useby date to aug '98. It doesn't sound like there's any special process to develop these but I have no idea if anyone's ever heard of this film company or be able to develop it.

Throw it in the garbage. It's tailings from motion picture film and uses a completely different process and very few places do it. To top it off, it is crappy film that fades easily. It's awful stuff.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Seattle Filmworks actually did use a different process (though they may have had some C41, don't remember for sure). I think there are a few labs out there that specialize in old processes that might be able to develop it, but its probably going to be more expensive than just buying a bunch of new film and developing it at Target.

If it is C41, I'd just bracket the hell out of one roll to see what looks good. My guess would be to overexpose by 1-2 stops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!
On that note, I've never looked into Target. Do they have something similar to Walmart, where their mail out service goes straight to a Fuji lab and is cheap?