Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

xPanda posted:

Are you able to elaborate on this? Finding information on PMP support in Opensolaris is really difficult, but the build log says it was added in build 122 or thereabouts. I've seen a few posts around of people who claim to have it working.

I set up an opensolaris system to test PMP support, and used the development repositories to update to snv_131, and the system froze when I turned on the external 3176 PMP connected to an internal 3132 chipset card. I'm yet to try other scenarios.

When you say that as of snv_130 they are still not correctly supported, do you mean that they are supported but incorrectly, or that they are not supported at all? If its the first case, what is wrong with the support?

i spent a lot of time yesterday trying to work out which sil chipset works with which card. while i can't help you with open solaris if you can, load up windows and make sure that you are running the most recent bios on the 3132 card and that it's the correct bios to be running ie if you want raid use that otherwise use the base bios. There are also some bugs with the sil3176 firmware that might need to be updated, as they are to do with hot plugging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
What do you guys think of this build for my latest NAS creation?
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=13711266

I'll also be throwing in a 2 port SAS card (which can handle 8 SATA drives) and maybe a DVD reader or writer. This will run Opensolaris with the 5 2 TB drives in a RAIDZ, and the 2 other drives as a mirrored root drive. I'll also be using Xen, hence the beefy CPU and RAM. Sometime in the future I'll get a 6th 2 TB drive for the 3 in 2 enclosure to use as a hot spare, and in the future I can buy another 5 in 3 enclosure and add on another 5 disk RAIDZ.

Unless there are any parts better/cheaper than what I've listed here, I think I'm going to pull the trigger when my tax refund comes in.

I'm most unsure about the motherboard. I like that that one has two PCIx16 slots, though I only need 1 x8 slot for the SAS card. I also like that it has 2 PCIx1 slots that I can use for more NICs or whatever. If it could be 10-20 cheaper that would be cool, but at that poing I'm sperging over :10bux: so it's probably not worth it.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

FISHMANPET posted:

I'll also be throwing in a 2 port SAS card (which can handle 8 SATA drives) and maybe a DVD reader or writer. This will run Opensolaris with the 5 2 TB drives in a RAIDZ, and the 2 other drives as a mirrored root drive. I'll also be using Xen, hence the beefy CPU and RAM. Sometime in the future I'll get a 6th 2 TB drive for the 3 in 2 enclosure to use as a hot spare, and in the future I can buy another 5 in 3 enclosure and add on another 5 disk RAIDZ.

Unless there are any parts better/cheaper than what I've listed here, I think I'm going to pull the trigger when my tax refund comes in.

I'm most unsure about the motherboard. I like that that one has two PCIx16 slots, though I only need 1 x8 slot for the SAS card. I also like that it has 2 PCIx1 slots that I can use for more NICs or whatever. If it could be 10-20 cheaper that would be cool, but at that poing I'm sperging over :10bux: so it's probably not worth it.

FISHMANPET posted:

I used that case in my build as well. It's OK for a cheap case but don't expect super high quality. There are tabs between each of the 5.25" bays that you'll have to bend/cut out to get your 3-to-5 drive cage in. Also, the expansion slot covers in the back of the case are stamped in, so you'll bend the poo poo out of things trying to get them out. No included power supply either, didn't see one in your wish list.

Take a look at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817121405 for the 3-5 drive cage, too. Amazon carries them through Buy.com for a better price than Newegg, and they're already cheaper via Newegg than the iStar cage you have listed. I have one, they're built very well and work great. Only downside is the 90mm fan is a little loud.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Jazzzzz posted:

I used that case in my build as well. It's OK for a cheap case but don't expect super high quality. There are tabs between each of the 5.25" bays that you'll have to bend/cut out to get your 3-to-5 drive cage in. Also, the expansion slot covers in the back of the case are stamped in, so you'll bend the poo poo out of things trying to get them out. No included power supply either, didn't see one in your wish list.

Take a look at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817121405 for the 3-5 drive cage, too. Amazon carries them through Buy.com for a better price than Newegg, and they're already cheaper via Newegg than the iStar cage you have listed. I have one, they're built very well and work great. Only downside is the 90mm fan is a little loud.

I've already got one of those SuperMicro cages for my first NAS, but I'm willing to spend a bit more for the iStar because it looks pretty (:3:) and because it has a matching 3 in 2 enclosure. I've also been through the ordeal of hammering down the tabs so that's no big deal. For Power Supply I haven't got one in mind but I was aware that that case didn't include one, I just hadn't thrown it on that wish list. Any recommendation for a better case? I dig that that one has 9 5.25 bays and nothing else cluttering the front, so I can just fill the whole drat thing up with drives.

On a completely different note, any suggestions for a simple plug and play 2 TB Nas? I need to get one for somebody else, and I see in another thread somebody said WD's offerings sucks, so I'm open to suggestions.

electronicmaji
Feb 23, 2010

by Fistgrrl
Has anyone on this forum been able to fix the Seagate 7200.11 line BSY stuck drive error? Or possibly have a kit or willing to provide the service?

I bought poo poo myself to do it, but i'm horrible at all this soldering, pin outs, and poo poo.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
I'm hoping that there's a simple answer to this request...

What I'm looking for is a (relatively) inexpensive NAS for my home, in order to serve audio and video to an atom-based PC in my living-room running XBMC, attached to my receiver and television.

My only requirement for the NAS is that it have four drive bays and that it not totally suck. A bonus would be RAID5, but I'm thinking that sort of solution would be out of my budget.

At the moment I'm looking at the NAS200, but it only has 2 drive bays...

Any suggestions?

Puweyxil
Oct 19, 2001
I like to eat cheese.
Dinosaur Gum
The Intel SS4200-E as mentioned earlier in this thread (Newegg Link) is a 4-bay array that does raid 5.

I got one about 6 months ago and stuffed it full with 4x WD 1.5TB Green drives. The default software comes with SMB, NFS and FTP support, as well as a UPNP AV server. It's running a standard Intel MB/CPU, so if you are adventurous you could try to install something else on it, like Windows Home Server or unRaid, but since it has no video-out, there is a fair bit of effort and extra parts required.

It's pretty big for a 4-bay NAS (we refer to it as "The Suitcase") but is very solidly constructed. There are external USB and eSATA ports for expansion. I have my UPS plugged into the USB port and it automatically shuts itself down whenever we lose power (It sends me an email about it, too).

I actually had a drive fail in it about a month ago, and was able to replace the drive without any harm to the array (But it did take about 4 days for it to rebuild the drive once replaced).

Newegg has it on-sale for ~$150 occasionally, but it's only ~200 normally.

Edit: Here is a picture of the inside I took when I put it together:

Puweyxil fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 27, 2010

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Puweyxil posted:

It's pretty big for a 4-bay NAS (we refer to it as "The Suitcase") but is very solidly constructed.

Hah, I've taken to calling mine "the briefcase" - seems fitting.

I'd second the Intel device, I've been loving mine. I like the layout of the case a lot and for the price, it was hard to beat. A seller on ebay had them for $135, so it is worth checking there too.

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy
How cool does it keep the drives? And is the fan pretty loud?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

DLCinferno posted:

How cool does it keep the drives? And is the fan pretty loud?

I've got two 1.5TB WD green drives installed right now and a bunch of disk activity was just taking place - the drives stayed just under 90F and the unit is very quiet. There are two fans in the rear of the unit and are spinning at ~1400 RPM. Can hardly hear them and the server is sitting next to the rest of my home theater gear.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Puweyxil posted:

The Intel SS4200-E as mentioned earlier in this thread (Newegg Link) is a 4-bay array that does raid 5.

I got one about 6 months ago and stuffed it full with 4x WD 1.5TB Green drives. The default software comes with SMB, NFS and FTP support, as well as a UPNP AV server. It's running a standard Intel MB/CPU, so if you are adventurous you could try to install something else on it, like Windows Home Server or unRaid, but since it has no video-out, there is a fair bit of effort and extra parts required.

This is probably a dumb question, but on the newegg link it says: "It handles up to 4 SATA II drives in its internal 3.5" drive bays for a massive 4TB storage space." Which made me think if I stuffed 4 2TB hard drives into this device I'd only get to use half of it, but since you put 4 1.5TB drives in it I assume I'm missing something?

Puweyxil
Oct 19, 2001
I like to eat cheese.
Dinosaur Gum
Somewhere in the reviews at Newegg, someone said they had success using 1.5TB drives, so that is what I went with.

It reports 4.1TB of storage, which I believe is correct thanks to drive-math:

No idea what it would do with 2TB disks.

I had a friend who picked one of these up, and while being very satisfied by it, he had trouble updating the firmware. The "Check for Updates" link in the GUI lies and claims there are no updates when one is available directly from Intel. Also, the firmware update process wouldn't work when he was using Firefox, he had to switch to IE to get it to work properly.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
cross-posting from the system building thread.

What's the best file system for cross-platform compatibility? I ordered a Drobo and 5 1TB drives for some local backup storage at work but I know I'm going to have to be moving it back and forth between Mac and PC from time to time. How should I go about formatting this? I know in the past it's been an issue.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
If you don't care about speed use NTFS and install NTFS FUSE 3G on the mac.

Otherwise use HFS+ and install macdrive or something similar on the PC.

Finally if you can live with a horrible filesystem and a ridiculous filesize cap use FAT32

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:
I'm looking for a NAS for small business with around 2 TB of capacity and NFS support as well as the ability to plug in a USB drive to back up specific folders from the device.

It will only have two purposes one is as a target for backup execs backup to folder option the other to keep a copy of a couple of ESXi server images on for emergency restores. Ideally I'd like to keep the price in the 600-1K range, I've been looking at QNAP, but if anyone has any advice on other brands to look for or avoid I'm all ears. As it's just a backup target for 2 windows servers I don't think the specs need to be that high, but when we run a full backup it will have 1-200 GB to back up in a night.

wang souffle
Apr 26, 2002

friendship waffle posted:

If you don't care about speed use NTFS and install NTFS FUSE 3G on the mac.

Otherwise use HFS+ and install macdrive or something similar on the PC.

Finally if you can live with a horrible filesystem and a ridiculous filesize cap use FAT32
Can the Boot Camp drivers be used on a non-Apple machine? They supply HFS+ drivers in Snow Leopard now. Probably against some licensing agreement..

supster
Sep 26, 2003

I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID
TO READ A SIMPLE GRAPH
Does anyone have any info about running unRAID as a guest OS under VirtualBox or VMware Server? Are there any big hurdles? Can it still spin down the drives while running as a virtual os?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

supster posted:

Does anyone have any info about running unRAID as a guest OS under VirtualBox or VMware Server? Are there any big hurdles? Can it still spin down the drives while running as a virtual os?

You'd have to give the virtualizer direct access to the disks, but I'm not sure if that's possible without running a hypervisor. Xen might be able to do it, but I don't think VirtualBox of VMware could do it.

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:

bob arctor posted:

I'm looking for a NAS for small business with around 2 TB of capacity and NFS support as well as the ability to plug in a USB drive to back up specific folders from the device.

It will only have two purposes one is as a target for backup execs backup to folder option the other to keep a copy of a couple of ESXi server images on for emergency restores. Ideally I'd like to keep the price in the 600-1K range, I've been looking at QNAP, but if anyone has any advice on other brands to look for or avoid I'm all ears. As it's just a backup target for 2 windows servers I don't think the specs need to be that high, but when we run a full backup it will have 1-200 GB to back up in a night.

No suggestions?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

deimos posted:

Here's my hardware:
1x ASUS AT3N7A1 (Atom 330 + ION) (4GB of ram)
1x SANS Digital TR8M-B
4x WESTERN DIGITAL WD15EADS 1.5TB

Trip report for this:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK port multiplication (lack of) standards. The TR8M requires a SI chip for port multiplication, so I ended up having to buy a plain PCI slot adapter.

Also I bought 4x 2TB Hitachi drives instead of 1.5 EADS. The Hitachis are very good.

It peaks at 90 MBps and averages 40-60MB using btrfs with compression, which is pretty good, also power usage is below 30W for idle and 110W for all drives spinning (using very aggressive power settings in linux).

btrfs has heavy caching and it's performing like a dream. I used the native btrfs raid instead of going with an FS over lvm2. It has survived 2 power outages (whoops unplugging the wrong cord and nuking the drive array) and has had zero data loss.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
Welp, aside from the fact that opensolaris has some kind of bizarre bug with intel multiprocessor computers using the regular ata driver, my new media/noise box is doing very well.

I decided to use the Norco 4220 gigantic case of doom because frankly between the three computers in the house we probably have 15 drives.
I also learned that they make Reverse breakout cables which let you plug your SAS backplanes into a regular old SATA port, which saved me quite a bit of money, because I have an old Areca 1220 raid card I can use.

Currently my raidZ1 pool is 4 1.5 TB WD green drives, but once I migrate data over, I'll be adding another 4x 1 TB raidz1 vdev to the pool, and possibly a bunch of random sized drives acting as random scratch/download disks. I should have enough controller ports available to drive all the disks, so we'll see.

The one thing people never mentioned on the reviews of this case is how god damned LOUD it is. The thing has 4 80mm delta screamers in it. I can hear it through a closed door, and can't hear other people talking in the next room if I'm near it.

On the other hand, once I figured out how the gently caress opensolaris worked, I was able to set up xVM, 3 windows images for use as various media servers/download boxes, and got VNC to work for all the images and misc poo poo set up. Hell, the hardest part of that was figuring out how the gently caress to make samba work and allow windows clients to log into it. Currently migrating the contents of my old RAID5 onto the larger RAIDZ1 then breaking it and moving the hardware over.

I'll have pictures of the build sometime later.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

The one thing people never mentioned on the reviews of this case is how god damned LOUD it is. The thing has 4 80mm delta screamers in it. I can hear it through a closed door, and can't hear other people talking in the next room if I'm near it.
Umm, every other review on Newegg says the fans are loud as gently caress. But really, if it's that loud I'll have to reconsider it for placement in the garage in a 12U enclosed rack. I'm not sure what a good set of fans to replace the Deltas would be considering airflow is a big, big concern with so many drives. Maybe Panaflos could work? The 4220's primary advantage over the 4020 is the SFF8087 backplane really, so that should theoretically help with airflow anyway. I kinda want to go with a 4U over a crammed 2U partly because I want to keep using the PSU I've already got (redundant PSUs seems overkill for a home network)

On the other hand, once I figured out how the gently caress opensolaris worked, I was able to set up xVM,
Umm, last I remember on OpenSolaris it was really VirtualBox and you shouldn't be using xVM anymore since development has stopped on it in favor of VirtualBox. VirtualBox is pretty close to VMWare Workstation in features and reliability, which is pretty solid.

supster
Sep 26, 2003

I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID
TO READ A SIMPLE GRAPH

FISHMANPET posted:

You'd have to give the virtualizer direct access to the disks, but I'm not sure if that's possible without running a hypervisor. Xen might be able to do it, but I don't think VirtualBox of VMware could do it.
I've read that it's possible to do with virtualbox - I'm not sure about vmware but I wouldn't be surprised if it was possible as well. Are there any other issues that come to mind? Running an entire server that's just running unraid seems so silly.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Check this out, found it when I was considering that case.
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6120&sid=0b2d5ecee7d9621b73daebc713a3c6b2
Dude makes a fan bracket that will hold 3 120MM fans instead of 4 80MM fans. Because it's bigger it creates more of a seal between each side of the case, so the fans don't need to be as powerful to pull the air through, and because they're bigger fans they can be slower and quieter to move the same amount of air.

necrobobsledder posted:

Umm, last I remember on OpenSolaris it was really VirtualBox and you shouldn't be using xVM anymore since development has stopped on it in favor of VirtualBox. VirtualBox is pretty close to VMWare Workstation in features and reliability, which is pretty solid.
Nope. xVM was based off of Xen, and they discontinued xVM in favor of just supporting Xen. VirutalBox is totally different. Xen started out at Cambridge and got spun off into a company which was then bought by Citrix, even though it's still open source. Virtualbox was made by a company called Innotek, which Sun bought (and now Oracle owns Sun). For a while Sun used xVM as a branding:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_xVM posted:

Sun originally announced the xVM product family in October 2007 as a broader product line. The brand at one time encompassed Sun xVM Server, Sun xVM Ops Center, and Sun xVM VirtualBox,[2] but the latter two products no longer use "xVM" branding.[1]
xVM server has been replaced by Xen, Ops Center is still being developed somehow, and VirtualBox is just virtualbox.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

necrobobsledder posted:

Umm, every other review on Newegg says the fans are loud as gently caress. But really, if it's that loud I'll have to reconsider it for placement in the garage in a 12U enclosed rack. I'm not sure what a good set of fans to replace the Deltas would be considering airflow is a big, big concern with so many drives.

It's a server chassis made for a datacenter. "Quiet" isn't on their mind. Delta fans are awesome fans, but I wouldn't put this in my house. Garage, sure.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

FISHMANPET posted:

8 more ports: SuperMicro AOC-USAS-L8i or AOC-USASLP-L8i
Not on NewEgg, but you can get it from lots of other places. It's a UIO card, which for us basically means the PCI bracket is backwards. You can either bend it around or just not use one and let it fly free. You'll also need some SAS to 4x SATA cables. If the bracket thing worries you, get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816118100
It's got the correct bracket, but it also costs $100 more.

For anybody interested in this card, particulary movex, who already has one, I found a bracket online that will work for it. SuperMicro was stupid enough to use standard hole spacing, so all you need is a standard PCI bracket with tabs. Keystone Electronics makes one. You can get it from digikey for about 5 dollars shipped:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?site=us&lang=en&mpart=9203

There are other places that have it cheaper per unit, but there are order minimums and they ship via UPS, so it costs way more for 1 of them. Digikey can ship via the postal service. But if you're doing something with a bunch of these, you can search all of Keystone's vendors here:
http://www.keyelco.com/order.asp
The part number to search for is 9203. If you dig around the Keystone site you can find mechanical drawings of the bracket. I compaired their measurements to my card and it looks like it should work. I'll post a trip report when I get it.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Mar 5, 2010

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

H110Hawk posted:

It's a server chassis made for a datacenter. "Quiet" isn't on their mind. Delta fans are awesome fans, but I wouldn't put this in my house. Garage, sure.
It's a really low quality case that I wouldn't put in a datacenter unless I'm doing some crazy low-cost storage project is the thing, and there's a bedroom next to my garage, so I wouldn't want something so loud you can hear it easily outside the garage even. I just wish there was a better option for 12+ drives in a box for home users besides some rackmounted monstrosity like this, but given how much data it potentially holds, I'll have to treat it like a professional datacenter setup.

supster posted:

I've read that it's possible to do with virtualbox - I'm not sure about vmware but I wouldn't be surprised if it was possible as well. Are there any other issues that come to mind? Running an entire server that's just running unraid seems so silly.
Actually, I've run direct / raw disk access on Virtualbox before, but I wouldn't do it in a professional environment. It's just come out of experimental status I believe. VMWare has supported "raw disk" access in just about every version of their product line since about 2007. I've read that it's possible to do with virtualbox - I'm not sure about vmware but I wouldn't be surprised if it was possible as well. Are there any other issues that come to mind? Running an entire server that's just running unraid seems so silly. But it's kinda inaccurate to say it's always raw is because you honestly can't get pure, direct access to a hard drive unless you are the OS (various protection modes and all), but enough can be done with wrappers to create a transparent view of the drive to a virtual machine that suffices for most tasks.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

necrobobsledder posted:

It's a really low quality case that I wouldn't put in a datacenter unless I'm doing some crazy low-cost storage project is the thing, and there's a bedroom next to my garage, so I wouldn't want something so loud you can hear it easily outside the garage even. I just wish there was a better option for 12+ drives in a box for home users besides some rackmounted monstrosity like this, but given how much data it potentially holds, I'll have to treat it like a professional datacenter setup.

Out of curiosity, what specifically is low quality about that case? It appears to be metal, metal, metal, some plastic, some Delta fans, and a power button? Plus, if your walls are so hollow why not insulate them? It will add value to your home and you will sleep better at night.

And if you don't want a datacenter-esque case, why look at rackmounts at all? I'm sure you could build a really bitchin full tower with 12+ drives in it.

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

Welp, aside from the fact that opensolaris has some kind of bizarre bug with intel multiprocessor computers using the regular ata driver, my new media/noise box is doing very well.

I decided to use the Norco 4220 gigantic case of doom because frankly between the three computers in the house we probably have 15 drives.
I also learned that they make Reverse breakout cables which let you plug your SAS backplanes into a regular old SATA port, which saved me quite a bit of money, because I have an old Areca 1220 raid card I can use.

Currently my raidZ1 pool is 4 1.5 TB WD green drives, but once I migrate data over, I'll be adding another 4x 1 TB raidz1 vdev to the pool, and possibly a bunch of random sized drives acting as random scratch/download disks. I should have enough controller ports available to drive all the disks, so we'll see.

On the other hand, once I figured out how the gently caress opensolaris worked, I was able to set up xVM, 3 windows images for use as various media servers/download boxes, and got VNC to work for all the images and misc poo poo set up. Hell, the hardest part of that was figuring out how the gently caress to make samba work and allow windows clients to log into it. Currently migrating the contents of my old RAID5 onto the larger RAIDZ1 then breaking it and moving the hardware over.

I'll have pictures of the build sometime later.

Yea that case is loud with all 6 fans running. I removed the 4 fans in the middle and replaced them with high-flowing 120mm fans (only 2) and left the two rear exhaust fans that came with the case in place.

Quite a bit quieter and my WD Green Drives still only hang at around 36c

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

H110Hawk posted:

Out of curiosity, what specifically is low quality about that case? It appears to be metal, metal, metal, some plastic, some Delta fans, and a power button? Plus, if your walls are so hollow why not insulate them? It will add value to your home and you will sleep better at night.
The thickness of the metal (merely "adequate") along with the flimsiness of the drive trays was mentioned in a lot of reviews I've read, along with the backplanes having the molex connectors hot-glued on there poorly. I know I shouldn't expect much for a $340 4u case, but I want to feel like my data is physically sound at least. The poster I quoted said that he could hear the fans in the next room over, and given how sounds bounce in a garage, it'd be awful. Also, I rent my place and it's a guest bedroom next to the garage. The master bedroom is two levels above the garage and is pretty great minus the small shower / toilet room.

quote:

And if you don't want a datacenter-esque case, why look at rackmounts at all? I'm sure you could build a really bitchin full tower with 12+ drives in it.
Partly because a tower isn't as portable as a rack with all my equipment in it. I'm considering one of these for both computer and recording equipment. I suspect I'll setup a home recording area down the road with the small datacenter, and a couple racks are ideal for my desired architecture (wallplates & thin clients embedded in every room). I like to keep my tech separate from my actual living space really.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

necrobobsledder posted:

I just wish there was a better option for 12+ drives in a box for home users besides some rackmounted monstrosity like this
A full-tower case with 4-in-3 drive cages installed will definitely be quieter, although considerably more expensive. I lucked out by finding someone on Craigslist letting a Lian-Li P80 go for cheap. Lian-Li makes some relatively inexpensive 4-in-3 hotswap cages, but the big downside to those is that they don't have individual activity lights for the drives built in.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

necrobobsledder posted:

The thickness of the metal (merely "adequate") along with the flimsiness of the drive trays was mentioned in a lot of reviews I've read, along with the backplanes having the molex connectors hot-glued on there poorly. I know I shouldn't expect much for a $340 4u case, but I want to feel like my data is physically sound at least. The poster I quoted said that he could hear the fans in the next room over, and given how sounds bounce in a garage, it'd be awful.

Once the top is on, it's not quite so bad, and I'll probably under volt the fans at some point to try and quiet them down. On the other hand, I'm putting it in the crawlspace under my house, and 8 inches of insulation should be plenty to keep it from driving me nuts.

My case I guess was updated, because the molex connectors had these soldered on clamps that held them in place. I was able to shove them around quite at bit and none of them fell off. No hot glue to be seen.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

roadhead posted:

Yea that case is loud with all 6 fans running. I removed the 4 fans in the middle and replaced them with high-flowing 120mm fans (only 2) and left the two rear exhaust fans that came with the case in place.

FISHMANPET posted:

Check this out, found it when I was considering that case.
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/for...3daebc713a3c6b2
Dude makes a fan bracket that will hold 3 120MM fans instead of 4 80MM fans. Because it's bigger it creates more of a seal between each side of the case, so the fans don't need to be as powerful to pull the air through, and because they're bigger fans they can be slower and quieter to move the same amount of air.

Just quoting myself again. As far as I can tell, if you're worried about noise with that case and you don't get this bracket you need to :frogout:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

necrobobsledder posted:

The thickness of the metal (merely "adequate") along with the flimsiness of the drive trays was mentioned in a lot of reviews I've read, along with the backplanes having the molex connectors hot-glued on there poorly. I know I shouldn't expect much for a $340 4u case, but I want to feel like my data is physically sound at least. The poster I quoted said that he could hear the fans in the next room over, and given how sounds bounce in a garage, it'd be awful.

I'm not sure what you expect. Something like a SuperMicro chassis for apparently $1800* also sounds like a jet engine, the drive caddy's are a thin finger-bendable aluminum, and the backplanes tend to come with at least one or two dud/flaky ports per 4-8 bought. Thumpers have very sturdy drive caddy's, but are deafeningly loud. A Xyratex enclosure is certainly sturdy and "well built", likely not to be any dead ports, and screaming loud. Get ready with your credit card though, because it's going to cost you.

If you want your data to be "physically sound" then it's time to get spendy on your RAID card (LSI only, really) and motherboard. If you want cheap or quiet you're looking at non-rack mount, and not dense. Get yourself some rack shelves and long SAS expander cables to link your chassis' together.

* http://www.8anet.com/ShowProduct.aspx?pid=7259 , http://rdr.to/0mS , wtf $1800? Is there a motherboard/cpu/ram in that I am missing? I guess 3x1800W power supplies.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

H110Hawk posted:

* http://www.8anet.com/ShowProduct.aspx?pid=7259 , http://rdr.to/0mS , wtf $1800? Is there a motherboard/cpu/ram in that I am missing? I guess 3x1800W power supplies.

That's got 24 bays in the front and another 12 in the back. That case is :psyduck:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

That's got 24 bays in the front and another 12 in the back. That case is :psyduck:

I think I linked the straight 24-bay one, the 24+21 cases though are my new favorite cases.

http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/4U/847/SC847E26-RJBOD1.cfm

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
That's a lot of Linux isos... but where's the space for the CPU / motherboard in that mess of hard drives? That'd be the one and only rack case you'd ever need for hard drives at home.

H110Hawk posted:

If you want your data to be "physically sound" then it's time to get spendy on your RAID card (LSI only, really) and motherboard. If you want cheap or quiet you're looking at non-rack mount, and not dense.
I'm going to use ZFS on Solaris, no need for anything more than a reliable controller - no hw RAID needed. I'd be more concerned about the mass of drives breaking off the rack ears because the rack rails broke off due to being so flimsy under the weight of 60 lbs of stuff. And like I said above, I'm probably not going to need more than 12 drives, so I highly doubt I'm looking at SAS expanders with daisy chaining drives and other scale-out architectures.

I was just hoping for the quality of trays I see on the HP Proliant servers I've racked up before.

soj89
Dec 5, 2005

Kids in China are playing tag with knives, on playgrounds constructed of spinning razorblades and spike traps, because it will make them stronger.
I didn't want to post a new thread to ask this and I figure this is the most relevant thread to ask in.

Is there a free software program you guys use to monitor the disk space on your file server? The system and the file server right now is running Windows 7 Ultimate. I know you can get the drive space to show up when you map the network shares but I don't want mount all of the shares. I've googled for windows sidebar gadgets (came up with nothing) and just programs but they're all shareware or seem a bit shady. What do you guys use?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

FISHMANPET posted:

For anybody interested in this card, particulary movex, who already has one, I found a bracket online that will work for it. SuperMicro was stupid enough to use standard hole spacing, so all you need is a standard PCI bracket with tabs. Keystone Electronics makes one. You can get it from digikey for about 5 dollars shipped:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?site=us&lang=en&mpart=9203

There are other places that have it cheaper per unit, but there are order minimums and they ship via UPS, so it costs way more for 1 of them. Digikey can ship via the postal service. But if you're doing something with a bunch of these, you can search all of Keystone's vendors here:
http://www.keyelco.com/order.asp
The part number to search for is 9203. If you dig around the Keystone site you can find mechanical drawings of the bracket. I compaired their measurements to my card and it looks like it should work. I'll post a trip report when I get it.

I got this bracket, and it's perfect, except that it's completely retarded. The screws are threaded backwards, and I decided to ruin the threads by trying to push my existing screws in backwards. So... plan B I guess. I happened to have a full height bracket for a low profile wireless card laying around. Only the bottom tab matches up, but it matches up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nikomo
Oct 21, 2009

by angerbotSD
I wonder what kind of HDDs you guys buy if you don't want to do RAID0 because the chance of malfunction is doubled. I have not had an HDD die on my hands during my (short) lifetime.