Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, the butterfly in CV carbs really makes quite a restriction despite being pretty small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

My Honda CB 100 had a flat slide then. Didn't really rip wheelies on it, to be frank. I guess they chose it because it's mechanically simpler and cheaper to produce. One of my first mechanical experiences was that it ran rough if I tightened it to hard to the manifold, I guess it bent and sucked air or something.

Wish I had that bike still. :(

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The CB100 would have had a roundslide. Same basic concept, different design. Closer to CV's, performance wise.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Ordered tires for the DRZ this morning...Pilot Powers. Not the best tires out there but they are cheap and should offer a hell of a lot more grip than the worn out Distanzias I've got on it now. Plus I really doubt tires will be the limiting factor for me in the next year, will be nice being able to trust my tires though.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 27, 2010

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
After lusting and dreaming through years of school, I'm finally out and ready to pick up my first bike.
After much deliberation and research (and insistence from my friends that you can't have more fun on two wheels) I'm considering the dr-z 400sm (it just so happens a local dealer has a winter deal on for 25% off).

It seems like the bike would suit my purposes for the most part - local side roads and some mild offroading with my friends. My only concern is I occasionally would like to take a trip on the highway, generally probably no more than ~350km but I've heard the dr-z doesn't take it so well.

Some googling has suggested I can get a $100 windshield to pop on when hitting the highway, and a seat (corbin or other) upgrade could make it a little more comfortable on longer rides. Fuel range isn't too huge a concern, and I don't usually do more than 110-120kph on the highway.

So the question is, is the bike tolerable for the occasional long distance ride or should I be considering something else? I've had people suggest the klr650 but something about it just doesn't seem as fun as the dr-z.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
It's tolerable. It's not good, but it's tolerable. Then again, I'll be riding mine 2800 miles over a bit more than a week this summer, so what do I know? :haw: There's a lot of options for seats, gel seats, corbin, renazco, refoamed stock one, etc. I'm gonna put a larger windshield on mine, find a seat that I like, and ride.

I may lengthen the gearing slightly to reduce cruising speed as it ticks over around 6k at 65. It'll cruise all day long at 55, 70 it starts to get uncomfortable unless you're gonna gear it taller.

vvvvv Yeah I'm gonna be putting a bigger fairing on mine.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 1, 2010

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Go for broke...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93088&page=2

DRZ Dakar fairings look rad.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

The stock seat isn't horrible but after a few hundred miles you will be riding side saddle. I've got the stock seat with a bunch of foam removed and I've done a few 500 mile days, not comfortable but it can be done.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Don't buy a new DRZ. They are bullet proof and any used one that runs will most likely continue doing so for a long time. You can also usually find them with a lot of the go fast bits already done for you.

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
I'd definitely rather buy used, but unfortunately I live in a magic land (Canada) where anything with two wheels and an engine is at least $1500. I searched across the country and there are very few used drz's, the closest one being a 2 day drive / 6 hour ferry crossing away (and $5000 for an '07 vs. 6500 brand new)

You wouldn't believe just how poo poo the used market is around here, I've seen 20 year old bmw 3 series convertibles listed for $25k, 10 year old Boxsters for $30k, 7 year old gsxr's for $7-8k, etc, etc..

Niven fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 2, 2010

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007
How maintenance intensive is owning a drz400SM? I understand they are pretty simple bikes but I know on some of the dirt bike stuff the engines don't hold up to long.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

sw0cb posted:

How maintenance intensive is owning a drz400SM? I understand they are pretty simple bikes but I know on some of the dirt bike stuff the engines don't hold up to long.

Dead simple. The engine will go the distance if you take care of it...people have had upwards of 80k on the E engine, I've got one in the garage with 36k on it, 6k of that with a big bore kit, no problems although it may need a cam chain soon...

RyanIAm
Jul 27, 2004

LOLCAT
Happy new member of the SM family here, picking up an 08 drz400sm with 12000 km on it on Friday. Can't wait! Trekking 1500 k's round trip up the NSW coast in Australia to get it though :D

RyanIAm fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Mar 2, 2010

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Also a soon to be happy new owner. Saturday I'm pinking up a KTM 620 SX converted and tagged already. 12 hour drive on Friday. Can't Wait

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Also a soon to be happy new owner. Saturday I'm pinking up a KTM 620 SX converted and tagged already. 12 hour drive on Friday. Can't Wait

Z3n,

This is how you are supposed to do it. :golfclap:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
You people and your dark magic, now I've been craving an SM for a while. :argh: Considering the price you can find one for I've been combing around, waiting for spring to see what pops up .

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
Those old KTM LC4s are great, but make sure you visit the dentist to check the fillings are secure...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

Z3n,

This is how you are supposed to do it. :golfclap:

Yeah if I didn't have to ride it 2800 loving miles to get to ride with your lazy rear end.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Don't paint it pink!:gay:

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

sw0cb posted:

I would like to add that many dirt bikes and some sumos have ridiculously short maintenance intervals because of high specific output. For example the RM-z450 puts out something like 55hp and has an interval measured in hours whereas the DRZ puts out around 35hp with an interval that is measured in thousands of miles. In my experience, the maintenance on the DRZ is pretty much like a car.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

stizu posted:

the maintenance on the DRZ is pretty much like a car.
What car even has a valve lash check on the maintenance schedule anymore. Maintenance on the DRZ is like other street bikes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Zool posted:

What car even has a valve lash check on the maintenance schedule anymore. Maintenance on the DRZ is like other street bikes.
E46 (2000-2005) M3s have them. The E90/91/92 models do not, though.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
People do maintenance on their DRZ?

I think I adjusted my chain once or twice since I got mine... Oh yeah, I taped my tail light back together after I 12 o'clocked it, I guess that counts as maintenance sort of.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

A DRZ hasn't really been loved until it's been 12 o'clocked.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Spiffness posted:

A DRZ hasn't really been loved until it's been 12 o'clocked.

I came very very close last night jumping speed bumps, got a little carried away on the throttle and up it went.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

NitroSpazzz posted:

I came very very close last night jumping speed bumps, got a little carried away on the throttle and up it went.

Yeah thats basically what I did. Had just installed the FCR39 carb the night before and gave it my usual "gun it from the light with a little bit of wheelie action" amount of throttle, which became "toss motorcycle out from beneath me into the middle of the intersection in front of 200 cars during rush hour traffic" amount of throttle with the new carb. Woops.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Someone else did the honors for me. Got to watch it go down. Was pretty sweet.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Spiffness posted:

Someone else did the honors for me. Got to watch it go down. Was pretty sweet.

Dizzy's first wreck was actually not me either. Was out riding on a tiny tiny goat trail with my friend Matt shortly after I bought her. The road had lots of great places you could get air on the thing. I let Matt give it a go cause he was on an R6 which was not nearly as comfortable to jump.

One of the better jumps was followed very shortly after by a quick left hander. Being on the R6, I was a bit behind Matt, so I see him go over the ridge, catch air, then disappear from view. Shortly after I crest it myself to see him lying in the grass a good 10 feet beyond my bike. He had jumped too far, wasn't able to make the left, caught the grassy lip along side the road, and got thrown clear over the handle bars.

Only permanent damage to the bike was a small dent in the exhaust, and a whole lot of character adding scratches. Also twisted the handle bars out of alignment but we fixed that by his holding the bars while I kicked the hell out of the front tire until they were straight again.

That would be the day I fell in love with SMs.

I can't find the exact jump he crashed on but this is the start of the goat trail we were riding:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...,172.97,,0,6.72

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 5, 2010

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

My DRZ total:

- 12 O'clocked by a friend doing wheelies on a cement lot in the middle of nowhere (Stunta training what what), total damage: destroyed rear tail light, scratches.
- Crashed in the mud by same friend, total damage: none
- Dropped taking a turn on wet grass by myself, damage: none
- Dropped in ORV park on twisty muddy trails 3 times, total damage: forks rotated, easy fix.
- Low sided by my brother on gravel, no damage
- Low sided 4 times at track day by friend, scratches and character only damage
- high sided at 55 by brother, bike slid off the road into ditch. No damage.
- high sided again by brother at track, shifter punctured through case gaurd causing small leak. Resealed in the garage with some goop, no issues 3k miles later.

So the total sum of replaced parts after all that crashing is the stock tail light... replaced with edge tail.

DRZ's kick rear end. The bike doesn't look rough. Just some scratches in the dirt bike plastics and beat up hand guards.

Edit: Very possible I'm missing one or two crashes. Not counting half a dozen (at least) drops on grass, gravel and mud just doing stupid poo poo.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 5, 2010

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Seriously, I'm proclaiming this right now. The DRZ is the best street supermoto you can buy. Period.

Yes, you can buy things with more power or better suspension or whatever, but NOTHING can touch the DRZ in day-to-day livability, and absolute bomb-proofness, which, in the end is what matters to 99% of people.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Spiffness posted:

- high sided again by brother at track, shifter punctured through case gaurd causing small leak. Resealed in the garage with some goop, no issues 3k miles later.

Had this one happen too, though I did it dicking around in a parking lot trying to slide out the backend one morning before work. Was a really small hole so I just covered it with some duct tape (seriously, keep a roll of this in the DRZ's little tail bag, you can fix anything on the bike with it), rode the 1/4 to work and filled the hole with some metal repair putty in my work's parking lot.

Basically everytime I see a non-scatched/scarred DRZ I'm secretly judging the person in my head for obviously not having enough fun.

Phat_Albert posted:

Seriously, I'm proclaiming this right now. The DRZ is the best street supermoto you can buy. Period.

Yes, you can buy things with more power or better suspension or whatever, but NOTHING can touch the DRZ in day-to-day livability, and absolute bomb-proofness, which, in the end is what matters to 99% of people.

Truth.

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 5, 2010

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Phat_Albert posted:

How prophetic you should say this, my 690 threw up a FI code tonight on the ride home and lost power a few times. Tomorrow it goes to the dealer to figure out whats up. Under warranty, which is nice, but oi.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I am the second owner of my DRZ, I have never crashed it. I know of at least 5 people that have though. A few of them were caught on camera, mostly low sides because the PO never put decent tires on it. Never broke anything

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

My DRZ total:

- 12 O'clocked by a friend doing wheelies on a cement lot in the middle of nowhere (Stunta training what what), total damage: destroyed rear tail light, scratches.
- Crashed in the mud by same friend, total damage: none
- Dropped taking a turn on wet grass by myself, damage: none
- Dropped in ORV park on twisty muddy trails 3 times, total damage: forks rotated, easy fix.
- Low sided by my brother on gravel, no damage
- Low sided 4 times at track day by friend, scratches and character only damage
- high sided at 55 by brother, bike slid off the road into ditch. No damage.

So the total sum of replaced parts after all that crashing is the stock tail light... replaced with edge tail.

DRZ's kick rear end. The bike doesn't look rough. Just some scratches in the dirt bike plastics and beat up hand guards.

Edit: Very possible I'm missing one or two crashes. Not counting half a dozen (at least) drops on grass, gravel and mud just doing stupid poo poo.

That must have been one awesome wheelie :golfclap:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I crashed my DRZ like 4 times today, no problems. Just had to pick the loving thing up, it gets heavy.

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
Look what just followed me home*

'09 old stock for 6400 CAD (8500 normally, drat you canada), a used '08/07 within a few thousand km's goes for 5000-5800, I'm one happy son of a bitch.

*I'm on the other side of the world for another month, god drat I'm counting down the seconds..

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Planning on picking up a DRZ in April and this is what I've got around me at dealerships:

2008 with 2100 miles - $3995
2008 with 6700 miles - $4299
2007 with 870 miles - $4499

Is that first one as good a deal as it looks like? The non-dealer alternatives are:

2007 with 7000 miles, sounds well maintained, lots of modifications, asking $4000
2006 with 7200 miles, sounds very well maintained, basic modifications, asking $3650

Man_of_Teflon fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 6, 2010

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I found a nice used one today at a local dealer today, though I'm not sure if the price was kind of high. I'm not sure if anything had really been done to it, but it did look like somebody may have put a different set of bars on it (looked like they were from some company in the UK). It was a 2007, had like 2500+ on it, asking like $4900.

I think I'll just give myself time and decide if I really want more bikes right now :ohdear:

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Spiffness posted:

How prophetic you should say this, my 690 threw up a FI code tonight on the ride home and lost power a few times. Tomorrow it goes to the dealer to figure out whats up. Under warranty, which is nice, but oi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ4axo9rmJY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
So I was planning on going to texas and picking up that black 620 but the seller backed out. I was pissed but managed to find a great deal on a KTM 520 MXC converted over. Also come with dirt tires :dance:

Very dirty. I know

• Locked thread