Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Oh, Azulita, I meant to say... I would definitely be interested in that info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azulita
Dec 9, 2006

by Lowtax
All of this information was compiled by the hosts of a recurrent loss support board:

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f256-recurrent-miscarriage-and-pregnancy-loss/252118-possible-causes-for-recurrent-loss.html

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f256-recurrent-miscarriage-and-pregnancy-loss/1779376-what-tests-can-done.html

I hope it helps.

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

Chickalicious posted:

I still can't help but have what I feel like is a dark cloud hanging over me. Will it pass when I get past the week I had my miscarriage? Am I ever going to be as excited as I was last time? I don't want to spend the whole pregnancy focused on all the things that can possibly go wrong. I'm already checking for spotting everytime I pee.

I didn't breathe comfortably until I'd passed 14 weeks. My doctor said 12 was the end of the super scary phase, but I read somewhere that 14 weeks was the end of the first trimester, and I wanted to be as pessimistic as possible just in case. It does get better, hang in there!

Longpig, I hope you get it worked out, that really really sucks. I can't imagine they'd consider it a fertility issue, you don't have any problem getting pregnant, you know? :( Good luck.

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

That's really interesting stuff, Azulita, thanks.

Qentiox - I guess I'm not sure what the insurance will consider a fertility 'treatment' and what they consider diagnostic. I keep worrying that I'll end up in the worst case scenario where my husband and I have some horrible genetic incompatibility and our only option is to do the super expensive kind of IVF where they screen the embryos before transfer. D:

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

My temperature went way down today, so I'll be getting my period today or tomorrow. It's the 8th day past ovulation. I took a pregnancy test because my ob said to every month on the 8th day past ovulation. When I last saw him he had me track my temperatures for three months, then to fax it to him. This is the third month since I saw him, so once I get my period I'll call his office and fax the chart over and then hopefully we'll find out what's going on. I know we haven't been trying very long (this is the 5th month), so hopefully it's all just a "this takes time" thing and not a "there's a problem" thing.

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

snookie snookeie snnnokeid

Grayscale Rainbow posted:

My temperature went way down today, so I'll be getting my period today or tomorrow. It's the 8th day past ovulation. I took a pregnancy test because my ob said to every month on the 8th day past ovulation. When I last saw him he had me track my temperatures for three months, then to fax it to him. This is the third month since I saw him, so once I get my period I'll call his office and fax the chart over and then hopefully we'll find out what's going on. I know we haven't been trying very long (this is the 5th month), so hopefully it's all just a "this takes time" thing and not a "there's a problem" thing.

8dpo is way too early to get a positive result for most people. It's rare to get one before 10 - 14 days. I'm kinda surprised that they'd tell you to take one that early. It's just setting one up for disappointment.

Chickalicious, I was excited about my pregnancy before my "miscarriage point", but I was really cautious until after I passed it. I miscarried my first around 8 weeks and I don't think I really "relaxed" about the pregnancy until 13 or so weeks.

I worried about every cramp I had (they were growing/stretching cramps), and then I worried when I stopped having them.. I think that regardless of having a previous miscarriage, there will always be something to "worry" about. Just know that paranoia during pregnancy is normal and try to not let it rule your 9+ months.

Longpig, I really hope that your insurance won't screw you out of finding out what's wrong or getting treatment. :-/

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

Lannie: I thought it was too early also, but my ob told me to, so I'm doing it. What he had told me when I brought up to him I thought my luteal phase may be too short was that they diagnose a short luteal phase by having a positive pregnancy test that doesn't remain for 18 or so days. My reaction was wtf, since from what I've read that makes no sense, but I figured I'd do as he said, wait, and see what happened. He also said that my luteal phase was fine, but that also doesn't make sense to me since I've read it should be at last 10 days, but sometimes even that is too short, and I've only had one month since charting that was more than 9 days (and that was last month). So I'll send him my BBT chart, as he asked, and talk to him, and we'll see what he says. This was a longer response than I intended, but I just don't understand the things he told me at my last visit because they don't go along with what I've read. However, I do realize that he's the doctor with the years of training and experience, so I figure maybe he knows something I don't. I certainly hope he knows things I don't :D

Pixi
Apr 16, 2001

I am loved.
Just remember that even experienced OBs aren't always very, er, educated when it comes to reproductive endocrinology type things. Some OBs like to PRETEND to know everything under the sun, but most are faking it (I work with some of these people, they are the pits).

8 dpo is way too early for you to get a positive home test. The temperature dip is timed right for what's called an "implantation dip", which means you wouldn't be able to expect a positive test for at least 2-4 days.

Are you confirming ovulation with tests, or only based on your temps? Temping is fantastic for most people, but isn't accurate for everyone. Your LP probably is short, but confirming with something other than your temp may make the overall picture a little clearer.

Luckily short LPs (anything under 10 is too short, full stop, and most REs like to see 12+) are pretty easy to remedy, if there are no other underlying problems. Progesterone suppositories aren't exactly fun, but are worth it if you get a baby out of using them :)

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

Thank you so much for the info Pixi. I chart temperature, cervical fluid and use ovulation test strips to figure out when I ovulate. My ob only cared about seeing my temperature though, which is why that was all I mentioned in my previous post.

I think my body just wanted to make sure I had a very red Valentine's day, so it gave me my period. Thank you, Body!

On Monday I'll call my OB and hopefully happiness will ensue.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
Are there any updates? Longpig?

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

So I called my OB and faxed him the BBT chart he wanted me to fill out. He called me back saying my cycles are great, since they indicate I am ovulating, and he said we should have my husband get a semen analysis done. This makes perfect sense. However, I am very frustrated with him because I don't understand WHY my cycles are fine if my luteal phase is so short. He could be right and my cycles are fine, but I wish he'd explain to me why. I'm frustrated by lack of knowledge on my part and I don't know where to go to get information, since all the information I've read conflicts with what my doctor said. For the moment though we will do what he said. He could be completely right and this is a good step to make, so we'll do it, but I'm utterly frustrated. Just wanted to give an update.

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005

So I called my OB and faxed him the BBT chart he wanted me to fill out. He called me back saying my cycles are great, since they indicate I am ovulating, and he said we should have my husband get a semen analysis done. This makes perfect sense. However, I am very frustrated with him because I don't understand WHY my cycles are fine if my luteal phase is so short. He could be right and my cycles are fine, but I wish he'd explain to me why. I'm frustrated by lack of knowledge on my part and I don't know where to go to get information, since all the information I've read conflicts with what my doctor said. For the moment though we will do what he said. He could be completely right and this is a good step to make, so we'll do it, but I'm utterly frustrated. Just wanted to give an update.

If his semen analysis comes back okay I'd say straight up ask your doctor for something to increase your luteal phase.

But in the meantime, I've read that taking B6 supplements can do it. Have you tried that? You can purchase some B complex vitamins that make absorption better also. Granted, it'll probably make your urine neon yellow but it's worth it right =p

Or you could just try ramping up your intake of foods that are a good source of B vitamins?

ETA:

I'm no doctor but it doesn't make any drat sense to me to say you have a short LP if you have a positive pregnancy last less than 18 days ie chemical miscarriage. There are a gazillion things that can cause an early miscarriage. http://www.babyhopes.com/articles/luteal-phase-defect.html that seems to agree with what your doctor said though. But I still say there is no reason to wait for that before trying to treat the possibility since it doesn't really hurt anything. My LP was 11 or 12 days long, so on the low end of normal, but good enough to get me knocked up. However, prior to getting knocked up I was taking a B complex vitamin along with my prenatal (because it's apparently good for hair and nails- I'd been taking it for a year or so?) so who knows. Maybe I had an issue and go rid of it.

I will add that any supplements you take, do some research on all of the vitamins included and overdose values. I stopped taking the B complex once I was pregnant. I think I ran out pretty soon after my positive test result, then looked up the dosage values of everything and their connections with fetal defects and stopped because there were some things I wasn't comfortable with.

enitsirk fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 25, 2010

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Gumby Orgy posted:

Are there any updates? Longpig?

Nothing new to report here... I got a referral for a regular gynecologist but the appointment isn't until the end of March. Ugh. The loss clinic *still* hasn't called me to make one. I keep meaning to call (well, try to call, they aren't big on answering the phone from what I can tell) and rattle their chain but then I forget until it's too late in the day. Tomorrow morning, maybe!

I'm not sure if we should start trying again before I talk to someone... March 31 will probably be right *after* my next fertile window. :/ The doctor I saw at the hospital said that even at 3 it's possible it's just bad luck and there's nothing wrong with me. I don't want to wait if I don't have to, because time isn't exactly on my side; but I don't want another loss either...

Mikuru Beam
Sep 14, 2007

Has anyone in here heard about how hormone-mimicking plastic softeners interfere with fertility? I’ve been looking everywhere and while there’s a definite connection, I can’t find any literature that mentions if the effects are permanent or if you can “detox” them out of your system. I’m not looking to have a baby yet, but I don’t want to mess with my chances in the future. I keep reading about all of these “dire consequences” and I can’t tell if it’s hyperbole or not. Right now, literally every meal I have comes wrapped in plastic—I’m only eating lean cuisines to help me keep track of my calorie intake—and I have to nuke it in the microwave since our apartment has really cheap appliances (apparently exposure to heat increases the release of these chemicals). Anyone heard about this or asked a doctor about it? I feel nervous.

Mikuru Beam fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 26, 2010

Azulita
Dec 9, 2006

by Lowtax
I conceived with fertility treatments and have never heard of that, but I'll ask around amongst my infertility buddies and see if they know anything.

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006

Mikuru Beam posted:

Has anyone in here heard about how hormone-mimicking plastic softeners interfere with fertility? I’ve been looking everywhere and while there’s a definite connection, I can’t find any literature that mentions if the effects are permanent or if you can “detox” them out of your system. I’m not looking to have a baby yet, but I don’t want to mess with my chances in the future. I keep reading about all of these “dire consequences” and I can’t tell if it’s hyperbole or not. Right now, literally every meal I have comes wrapped in plastic—I’m only eating lean cuisines to help me keep track of my calorie intake—and I have to nuke it in the microwave since our apartment has really cheap appliances (apparently exposure to heat increases the release of these chemicals). Anyone heard about this or asked a doctor about it? I feel nervous.

You could pop the food out of the plastic and cook it in a bowl or plate instead.

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

Thank you for your response enitsirk. I did try taking B6, but it didn't do anything so I stopped. Maybe I should try again so at least I feel like I'm doing something that could potentially help.

Mikuru Beam: I haven't heard of it interfering with fertility, but I have heard that those plastics (if I remember correctly, it was plastics labeled with the 6 in the little recycling triangle) leeching into food when heated. I have no source for this aside from a professor in a Women's Health class I took in college. I'm with fishandcandy; you should just transfer the food to a plate and heat it that way.

Mikuru Beam
Sep 14, 2007

fishandcandy posted:

You could pop the food out of the plastic and cook it in a bowl or plate instead.

I know it seems maddeningly obvious, and I did try that. I ended up with essentially a shredded dinner :( it was so frozen I had to chip away at it with a knife. It says on the package not to defrost before heating it up, but I'm going to do it anyways to avoid the whole plastic/heat and shredding issues. I blame my chemistry professor entirely, every morning he does a "real life application of chemistry" sort of thing and now he has made me all paranoid. I looked for the recycling code and it says 1 I don’t know anything about code 1 plastics!

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
We've been trying for the last year (though not really doing anything to prevent it for awhile which is very worrisome) with no luck. I've only been paying attention to my cycle for the last few months to no avail.

That said, I am going for an HSG and an ultrasound next Friday. My husband has been tested, and he is fine. I'm 34, in very good health...but obviously there must be some sort of issue. I had blood tests on Wednesday...waiting to hear about those.

When you have the HSG, do they tell you right then and there if there is a blockage? Since they are watching the dye make its way through, they know what is going on, right?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Kelly posted:

I've only been paying attention to my cycle for the last few months to no avail.

When you say this, what have you noticed about your cycle? And what are you doing to pay attention to it? For some people it's as easy as just tracking basal temp or cervical mucous, but for others, it takes a few methods combined-- mucous and ovu strips, for example, or mucous and basal temp. Plus, your window of opportunity can be short enough that when you're getting close to ovulation, you should be testing a couple of times a day to find the optimal time to try.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Fire In The Disco posted:

When you say this, what have you noticed about your cycle? And what are you doing to pay attention to it? For some people it's as easy as just tracking basal temp or cervical mucous, but for others, it takes a few methods combined-- mucous and ovu strips, for example, or mucous and basal temp. Plus, your window of opportunity can be short enough that when you're getting close to ovulation, you should be testing a couple of times a day to find the optimal time to try.

I should have been more specific...I've been using the strips steady for the last 8 months! My cycle runs every 33-35 days and has for as long as I can remember. Typically, I can tell when I am ovulating - I get a pretty specific ache in my abdomen. I notice the mucous too, though the ache is a lot more overt and easy to recognize.

I had read that you are supposed to test at the same time each day and that typically night was the best time to test - is that not correct? And when the strip does indicate does test as positive that means ovulation will take place within 24 hours, right?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
For me, I tested with ovu strips once a day until I was close to ovulating, and then I tested twice a day (three times one day, cause I was neurotic). I think it's a lot easier to really get a handle on your real window of opportunity if you test more often close to ovulation. The ovulation can take place sooner than 24 hours after you test, which is why I tested more. I got lucky and got knocked up on the first go around, but other women I know of who didn't say it was easier when they tested more often near ovulation.

Azulita
Dec 9, 2006

by Lowtax
Mikuru Beam, here's the information my friends emailed me:

quote:

One thing to know is that one of the most harmful, BPA, has recently been taken out of NEW products, but not out of old products. I don't think there is a way to detox, but to avoid future contact:

-Never heat anything IN plastic
-Never heat in styrofoam
-If possible, don't drink hot drinks out of styrofoam
- Use plastic wraps and cookware made of polyethylene which doesn't contain plasticisers. If the product doesn't make this clear, don't buy it.
- If you buy hard cheese wrapped in plastic use a knife to shave off the surface layer
- When you reheat or cook food don't let plastic wrap touch it.

- Don't wrap food in cling film; use paper instead. Immediately remove cling film wrap from food you buy and transfer them to a bag or container. Better yet ask the person on the deli to wrap your food in paper.

- Don't store fatty food in plastic wrap. Xenoestrogens are lipophilic (fat loving) and will tend to leach into foods with a high fat content.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
So things have kind of been falling into place and we have decided to officially start trying!
:supaburn::supaburn::supaburn:

I just started taking my TCOYF tracking way more seriously and am trying not to terrify my husband with total fertility cycle information overload. I'm disappointed in myself because I don't even have a whole cycle fully charted with temp and cervical mucous at this point.

I just got new health insurance, so I'm working on setting up a physical/pre-conception visit. I work for a pediatric clinic and can see my Family Medicine office from my desk which is very reassuring. :)

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Woooooot, I am glad you're getting serious! I know this is what you've been wanting. Good luck! :)

GinKitty
Jul 15, 2006

Sexy Newbie
Alright, I've been lurking here and in the pregnancy thread for, well, forever. After a successful round of Provera last month to get things in working order and hopefully a period this month without it, Clomid may be in my very near future. It's been a long two and a half years of no birth control but no babies either. I'm so excited I can hardly see straight.

dishonesty
Sep 11, 2001

There's no place like home.

GinKitty posted:

Alright, I've been lurking here and in the pregnancy thread for, well, forever. After a successful round of Provera last month to get things in working order and hopefully a period this month without it, Clomid may be in my very near future. It's been a long two and a half years of no birth control but no babies either. I'm so excited I can hardly see straight.

It breaks my heart that some people have so much trouble conceiving, and I've fallen straight away twice.

I wanted to start trying for a baby for about 4 years before we finally decided to, and I would cry and cry some times worrying that if I kept leaving it longer I might have trouble conceiving and therefore it'd be even LONGER before having a baby. I'm so lucky that I've conceived so quickly (hopefully this one isn't ectopic!)

I wish you the absolute best of luck and I'm so glad you're excited and have something to look forward to - I'll be crossing all of my fingers and toes for you :D

GinKitty
Jul 15, 2006

Sexy Newbie

dishonesty posted:

It breaks my heart that some people have so much trouble conceiving, and I've fallen straight away twice.

I wanted to start trying for a baby for about 4 years before we finally decided to, and I would cry and cry some times worrying that if I kept leaving it longer I might have trouble conceiving and therefore it'd be even LONGER before having a baby. I'm so lucky that I've conceived so quickly (hopefully this one isn't ectopic!)

I wish you the absolute best of luck and I'm so glad you're excited and have something to look forward to - I'll be crossing all of my fingers and toes for you :D

Much thanks for the luck! Hopefully we'll only need a little of it.

I worried quite a bit about waiting too. Finally finished up school. Even bought a house. The first year I didn't expect much until the everything stabilized after going off the pill. The second year I figured I'd not stress and just see what happened. I got pretty anxious in September when my period disappeared.

I must have found the right doctor last month because it seems she's got us on the fast track to parenthood. I figured there would be more appointments, tests, specialists and alot of waiting.

I'm sure everything will work out just fine for you this time around : D

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

GinKitty posted:

Hi GinKitty. I had a round of provera in January with a round of Clomid following and just Clomid this month. I haven't been successful so far but I am hopeful! I have been fairly lucky in that the 1st round of Clomid showed that the lowest dose was enough for me to ovulate so I am taking 50mg on cycle days 3-7. I have heard that some women have horrible side effects, but I have only been a tiny bit more emotional than usual. I have found that taking it at night helps alleviate some of that. I will be crossing my fingers for you. Good Luck!

ETA: Congrats, Dishonesty!

GinKitty
Jul 15, 2006

Sexy Newbie

Roxy Rouge posted:

Hi GinKitty. I had a round of provera in January with a round of Clomid following and just Clomid this month. I haven't been successful so far but I am hopeful! I have been fairly lucky in that the 1st round of Clomid showed that the lowest dose was enough for me to ovulate so I am taking 50mg on cycle days 3-7. I have heard that some women have horrible side effects, but I have only been a tiny bit more emotional than usual. I have found that taking it at night helps alleviate some of that. I will be crossing my fingers for you. Good Luck!

ETA: Congrats, Dishonesty!

Sounds like we're in the same boat Roxy. Thanks so much for the advice. I just started back to work for the season--it's gonna be a rough one--and I was a little leery of possible side effects.

Good luck to you as well!

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

GinKitty posted:

Sounds like we're in the same boat Roxy. Thanks so much for the advice. I just started back to work for the season--it's gonna be a rough one--and I was a little leery of possible side effects.

Good luck to you as well!

Out of pure curiosity--What season is that? It seems like it's coming up to wedding season to me and I wonder if you are a restaurant/catering lady.

GinKitty
Jul 15, 2006

Sexy Newbie
Oh boy, it's a tough one to describe but you got it. I am the lead cook at a place called Wyman Center.

From March to June and September to December, we have schools, universities, churches, corporations, etc. out for our leadership programming or they can do their own programming, meetings, retreats and such. We cater all that plus charity events, wedding receptions, birthday/anniversary parties, family reunions, rehearsal dinners, etc. on-site. Basically we feed anywhere from 5 to 300 people on anything from paper plates to china. From smores to prime rib. Depends on what they want.

During the summer we have two 24 day sessions of camp where they learn various leadership skills. The kids come from challenging environments and are nominated by their teachers to attend our camp. It's a five year obligation and a lot of hard work.

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

Eff my uterus.

I noticed some spotting yesterday and thought maybe, just maybe, it was implantation bleeding. It was my fifth day past ovulation. But then it wasn't just spotting. I got my period. What. the. Christ. A four day luteal phase. Really? Really?! Stupid, stupid body! And today I get to see my friend who is broke, in a complicated, crappy marriage, with one kid and just got pregnant a couple months ago by looking at a penis. I'm not bitter.

But we'll get the semen analysis done, as my OB instructed, since it can't hurt, and then I'll talk to him again. Depending on where we go from there, I may just get a new doctor. I know that when/if I do get pregnant I'm not going to see him for it. Maybe he's been doing this too long and so doesn't think to explain everything, or maybe this is just how he is, I don't know. He's been great about yearly check-ups, but there is no way I'm going through a pregnancy feeling like time can't be made for my questions.

Sorry for being miss-grumps-a-lot. I just feel like pulling my hair out.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

Eff my uterus.

I noticed some spotting yesterday and thought maybe, just maybe, it was implantation bleeding. It was my fifth day past ovulation. But then it wasn't just spotting. I got my period. What. the. Christ. A four day luteal phase. Really? Really?! Stupid, stupid body! And today I get to see my friend who is broke, in a complicated, crappy marriage, with one kid and just got pregnant a couple months ago by looking at a penis. I'm not bitter.

But we'll get the semen analysis done, as my OB instructed, since it can't hurt, and then I'll talk to him again. Depending on where we go from there, I may just get a new doctor. I know that when/if I do get pregnant I'm not going to see him for it. Maybe he's been doing this too long and so doesn't think to explain everything, or maybe this is just how he is, I don't know. He's been great about yearly check-ups, but there is no way I'm going through a pregnancy feeling like time can't be made for my questions.

Sorry for being miss-grumps-a-lot. I just feel like pulling my hair out.

I would get a new OB, even if it just means getting a new opinion. A 4-day luteal phase is pretty short, but that's something that can be easily fixed. I don't know where you live, but I pay a lot for my lovely American medical care and I don't feel I should have to put up with someone not listening or making me feel inferior.

My body is acting the fool right now too; my temp's been up the past couple days but no other signs of ovulation at all. I'm caving and buying test strips! We've been er, trying anyway. :pervert:

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
Just read an interesting article about miscarriage: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/2712200/Drug-treatment-developed-to-prevent-miscarriages.html

Basically, these researchers think that many unexplained miscarriages might be caused by an excess of immune cells in the uterus.

The article is from 2008, and it says they want to do clinical trials for steroid treatment, it'd be interesting to see if anything comes from this.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

Panne posted:

Just read an interesting article about miscarriage: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/2712200/Drug-treatment-developed-to-prevent-miscarriages.html

Basically, these researchers think that many unexplained miscarriages might be caused by an excess of immune cells in the uterus.

The article is from 2008, and it says they want to do clinical trials for steroid treatment, it'd be interesting to see if anything comes from this.

Hello, my worst nightmare. I have ridiculous eczema and allergies, which is basically my immune system overreacting to mostly innocuous things it interprets as invasive and bad. When it gets really bad, prednisone is the only thing that will get it under control, as it suppresses the immune response, but it has some really terrible side effects, such as making me susceptible to MRSA infections. I've always worried that my body will interpret a fetus as an invader and reject it. Maybe this is what happened last time.

So nervous for my ultrasound on Monday. I'm hoping to see a little heartbeat, but bracing myself for none at all.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I thought I'd give a little update. I have a new primary doctor and got some new blood tests done. I am mildly hypothyroid and I have non celiac gluten intolerance. Its weird an complicated, but I'm in the process of totally changing my diet and lifestyle in the next month so hopefully my body will be getting on the right track. After next week (I have a wedding to go to next weekend. Its too hectic for me to start now) I'm going to be following the real foods diet. http://www.ninaplanck.com/ It should be interesting. I've only had one or two servings of wheat a week (its harrrrd to give it up completely all at once) and eating things to help my thyroid for the past two weeks and I've already lost 10 pounds eating the same amount of calories :aaa:

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Is your energy level ridiculous now? I have a mild gluten intolerance, and when I went on a diet to tackle it, I was blown away at how much energy I had. It was insane, it was like I was on speed. I don't eat the same way anymore, but I'm close to it, being diabetic.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Fire In The Disco posted:

Is your energy level ridiculous now? I have a mild gluten intolerance, and when I went on a diet to tackle it, I was blown away at how much energy I had. It was insane, it was like I was on speed. I don't eat the same way anymore, but I'm close to it, being diabetic.

I wake up at 6:30 in the morning now every day without my alarm clock. Even on the weekends. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a top top lad
Feb 28, 2003

Triffic really. Proper player.
Some months ago, I posted a question regarding getting yourself mentally prepared to start trying to get pregnant. Apparently, it either came off as a lame troll attempt or wasn't particularly compelling because nobody had anything to say! ;)

I'm re-writing this, because it comes across as really disjointed. Suffice to say, I'm a little anxious. My wife and I finally started trying to conceive recently, obviously off of the pill and condoms are reserved for those nights where one or both of us has a bout of "oh my god, should we really be trying to have a kid right now?" And long story short, I think it might have worked already.

Now, we're very cautious to not get ahead of ourselves. Like some of you in this thread, my sister has been having a lot of trouble conceiving, and has been trying for well over a year now. So, that hits close to home and we have that fear in the back of our minds. Especially since my wife is a year older than my sister (35,34).
On the other hand, here are the facts: My wife should have started her period by now. At the very least, she should at least be seeing some spotting by now. To counter this, we remind ourselves that (before going on the pill) she would sometimes be a few days late.
About two weeks ago, she started to experience a bit of nausea. It's only shown up a few times, but is significant in doing so because she almost never experiences nausea of any sort. We still blew it off, for the most part, until the nausea showed up a couple more times. And then it was accompanied by tender breasts.

The only PMS symptoms to show up have been the occasional mood swing...but those showed up around the same time as the first bout of nausea, which is obviously way early. She always has at least mild cramps (they would sometimes get really bad before she went on the pill), and definitely gets a few pimples...none of which have shown themselves.

So, I went and purchased the first pregnancy tests of my life. She's been holding off on taking one because she's been told something about doing them too early and false negatives or whatever. What are the experiences around here? I'm obviously fine with whatever she's going to be most comfortable with.

I have a feeling maybe she's holding off for tomorrow, because it's my birthday. On one hand, best birthday present ever. On the other hand, there could be some severe disappointment. We'll see.

• Locked thread