Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzy Modem
Sep 3, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This is what I'm working on at the moment.

Maya.

Suggestions appreciated.

Fuzzy Modem fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 1, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

ThreeHams posted:

1. Been a while since I've done a quadruped (or looked at the anatomy for one), but I remember this being area being a big problem during deformation, and you've got a bunch of vertices pinching together. It's right at the convergence of the clavicle and upper arm, so it moves quite a bit during a gallop.
2. This looks really thin, even with exaggerated proportions. Looks good on the high-poly sculpt, though.
3. Tail looks pretty dense. Is this meant for a game engine? If not, never mind!

That's probably just his sculpting base, which looks really clean and optimal for sculpting in my opinion. I wouldn't be surprised if he would be retopoing it after getting it fleshed out and bulked up in ZBrush.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

ThreeHams posted:

It's right at the convergence of the clavicle and upper arm, so it moves quite a bit during a gallop.

Horses, like a lot of quadrapeds, don't have clavicles.

ThreeHams
Sep 28, 2005

Ride the pig!

Listerine posted:

Horses, like a lot of quadrapeds, don't have clavicles.

Right... that's actually the scapula and upper arm connecting to the lower arm, isn't it? I never did get that down.

Fuzzy Modem
Sep 3, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Perhaps it's a bit cluttered?

Stripped down renders:

Fuzzy Modem
Sep 3, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
More:

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ThreeHams posted:

1. Been a while since I've done a quadruped (or looked at the anatomy for one), but I remember this being area being a big problem during deformation, and you've got a bunch of vertices pinching together. It's right at the convergence of the clavicle and upper arm, so it moves quite a bit during a gallop.
2. This looks really thin, even with exaggerated proportions. Looks good on the high-poly sculpt, though.
3. Tail looks pretty dense. Is this meant for a game engine? If not, never mind!

Thanks for taking the time and making crits mate

As ceebee mentioned, it's just a base for sculpting and the mesh won't ever need to be animated. The project is for a still anyway so I won't even really need to retop it. The tail is dense because I was trying to avoid having long polys in that section that would have sculpted funny.
I will definitely look at that upper arm area.

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006

BigKOfJustice posted:

Houdini would be great for that.. particles and meta balls :3:

Had to do a ton of that on Happy Feet.

Georg can download Houdini apprentice for free from sidefx.com and check it out. Learning curve can be a little steep though.

gently caress yes, grab a grid, deform it to whatever shape, paint some colour attributes, scatter some points based on colour density, copy some metaballs, convert and peak sop, baby you got a stew going!

Also, Heintje, your cloth stuff is giving me a head ache :saddowns:

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
Haha sorry, but poke around in the zip and you will find a pile of demo files that I was using to test/learn cloth. I'm going to start trying out the 10.5 stuff soon too.

RE particles and meta balls- yes do this :) you can also scatter particles or points and use the particle fluid surface node which is pretty cool. In 3ds max I think you can do something similar with particles and use the 'blobby' surfacer/object/maker thingy.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Fuzzy Modem posted:

37 shots of a spaceship

It's a neat model but your materials are killing you at the moment. Your reflection is cranked up too high and the model is too shiny/clean.

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006

Heintje posted:

Haha sorry, but poke around in the zip and you will find a pile of demo files that I was using to test/learn cloth. I'm going to start trying out the 10.5 stuff soon too.

RE particles and meta balls- yes do this :) you can also scatter particles or points and use the particle fluid surface node which is pretty cool. In 3ds max I think you can do something similar with particles and use the 'blobby' surfacer/object/maker thingy.

Yeh I've been going through them, but since I'm using a custom solver I can't get two way collisions, so i gotta hack it sucka.

Also, DO NOT USE PARTICLE FLUID MESH, unless you're on 10.5, then it's sexy, very sexy

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005
I've been working on this guy for a while now. I didn't do so well in 3D when I went to animation school, so I've been trying to develop my skills since graduating 2 years ago. Still need to rig him and make him animatable, but want to get his model and shader completely done. Any suggestions?

Fuzzy Modem
Sep 3, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sigma-X posted:

It's a neat model but your materials are killing you at the moment. Your reflection is cranked up too high and the model is too shiny/clean.

I do dirty up most of my models, but this one is intended to look showroom condition. Any thoughts on keeping it clean but improving believability, other than increasing poly count substantially? I'm playing around with the smooth function at the moment... It angers me.

[edit]
A little progress. I'm recalculating this one back down to 50% done. I need a new direction... it must be complex and believable, yet still sleek and clean.

Fuzzy Modem fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 2, 2010

Rasselas
Oct 26, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT FUCKIN' TRANNIES HARASSING GLORIOUS UNIMPEACHABLE WEBCOMIC ARTIST TOM SIDDELL WITH THEIR FALSE CLAIMS TO VICTIMHOOD, THE CODDLED FUCKS! STIFF UPPER LIP! I'M A TREMENDOUS JACKASS WHO CAN'T FATHOM ANYTHING OUTSIDE MY BUBBLE! TUMBLRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
I'm no expert, Fuzzy Modem, but I'm thinking maybe it'd help if not all the materials had the same shiny value. Perhaps if you had parts that are a bit more matte, and the glassy parts shinier, it could add to believability?

Fuzzy Modem
Sep 3, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Cockpit and vents improved.

I think I need to scrap certain parts of the body texture.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Some kind of ambient occlusion or something might help too. I would dirty it up in more specific places and give your normal mapped areas some kind of additional color/texture. Right now it just looks like you have a bunch of random panels and bevels that serve no purpose and have the same material as the rest of your ship.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Fuzzy Modem posted:

Cockpit and vents improved.

I think I need to scrap certain parts of the body texture.

Your normal maps are kinda stretchy/squishy, you probably want to relax your unwrap a bit.

Nuke the reflection. Nuke the lighting. Nuke all the shader properties. Using the default lighting, start working on the diffuse and normal map. What are the materials? Is the white shellacked plastic, like an ipod? Metal painted white? Figure out what your materials are, and give them their diffuse colors. Remember that everything usually has small details/color variation, etc - apply this when necessary (perhaps there is a thin patina of dust on the metal, for example). Add in normal map details as needed.

Next, add your specular definitions. This is where you really define the materials, instead of the colors. Is the specular tight? Wide? How hot does it get? Does it reflect a color or white? Define each material with the specular.

Next, add reflection. Not much! Most things are not very reflective. Many of them are very subtle. Some will catch it more sharply, like glass. Others probably aren't reflective at all, like a matte paint. Again, if there is a thin patina of grime or dust, that will dull the reflection. Perhaps on parts where people's hands would touch or panels would be accessed there would be more reflection because the dust has been wiped away.

Finally, light the sucker. Come up with some colors that subtlely contrast - using different colored fills and keys to help pop the forms and better illustrate the play in the curved surfaces.

Right now you've got your spec, colored lighting, and reflections cranked up to 11 to hide the fact you've given it a really poo poo texture. I used to do that too - I think everyone does when they first have a fun renderer/realtime shader to mess with and they lack the skill/patience to deliver a nice texture.

Also as a side note - fix your smoothing on the guns. Where the "nacelle"/base thing connects to the gun barrel in the front you've got faceted faces.

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006
Everyone watch this now, ogogogo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-qLBXIX2Mk

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

So THIS is how those amazing 3D commercials are made on TV!

Apparently this is a preview of the new MayaQT interface, a big improvement, I must say!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Ratmann posted:

That was frickin great.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

tuna posted:

Apparently this is a preview of the new MayaQT interface, a big improvement, I must say!

I really want this sooner than later. The maya interface is long overdue for an upgrade. QT should make it a lot more extendable as well which will be nice.

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006

mashed_penguin posted:

I really want this sooner than later. The maya interface is long overdue for an upgrade. QT should make it a lot more extendable as well which will be nice.

It's already happening...

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Ratmann posted:

It's already happening...

What does this mean? I can't find much info on this. The screenshot shows new icons but the thread doesn't say much about the actual improvements.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
Seems there may be the possibility I may be asked to do all kinds of modelling, including organic and character models at a potential startup studio I may be hired by in a couple of months, so I'm kind of wondering about retopology tools and methods for Max 2010.

I'm currently using 2010 after upgrading from 2009 with the Polyboost toolset. In partcular I'm wondering if there are any tools inside 2010 that emulate PolyDraw - the tool which allows you to place verts and polygons directly conforming to the surface of a model, mainly because my workflow became a hell of a lot faster after discovering it.

Anybody know if it's currently in 2010 or if there any similar tools compatible?

Zvezda
Dec 12, 2009

Aliginge posted:

Seems there may be the possibility I may be asked to do all kinds of modelling, including organic and character models at a potential startup studio I may be hired by in a couple of months, so I'm kind of wondering about retopology tools and methods for Max 2010.

I'm currently using 2010 after upgrading from 2009 with the Polyboost toolset. In partcular I'm wondering if there are any tools inside 2010 that emulate PolyDraw - the tool which allows you to place verts and polygons directly conforming to the surface of a model, mainly because my workflow became a hell of a lot faster after discovering it.

Anybody know if it's currently in 2010 or if there any similar tools compatible?

I've never tried PolyBoost itself, but there is a PolyDraw tab in the graphite modelling toolbar in Max 2010, under "Freeform". No idea how it compares to PolyBoost but it seems to do what you describe :)

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
The Graphite Modeling Tools are literally polyboost with The loving Ribbon That Crashes. Autodesk bought it.

I'm not sure where polydraw is lurking but all the tools are there.

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos
I'll be using Blender for a few projects at work and I've never used this program before. I want to get a good guidebook on it, but I'm not sure which one to pick. Here are the two I'm looking at:

Mastering Blender - I learned a lot from Sybex's 'Mastering Maya' series, so I have no reason to think that their Blender counterpart wouldn't be as good.

The Essential Blender - It has more reviews than Mastering Blender, but the latest edition was written in 2007 (probably why there're more reviews) so I wonder if some of the information is outdated.

Or is there another book I ought to look into?

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Zvezda posted:

I've never tried PolyBoost itself, but there is a PolyDraw tab in the graphite modelling toolbar in Max 2010, under "Freeform". No idea how it compares to PolyBoost but it seems to do what you describe :)

Found it, it's under Freeform only it's now known as Step Build.

Excellent. Thanks. :D

Zvezda
Dec 12, 2009

Aliginge posted:

Found it, it's under Freeform only it's now known as Step Build.

Excellent. Thanks. :D

Awesome :D

Congrats on the maybe-hire too, hope that all goes well!

I'm looking for a work placement at the moment, stressing over my portfolio and general lack of 3d knowledge and also everything else I can think of to worry about :saddowns:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

GFBeach posted:

I'll be using Blender for a few projects at work and I've never used this program before. I want to get a good guidebook on it, but I'm not sure which one to pick. Here are the two I'm looking at:

Mastering Blender - I learned a lot from Sybex's 'Mastering Maya' series, so I have no reason to think that their Blender counterpart wouldn't be as good.

The Essential Blender - It has more reviews than Mastering Blender, but the latest edition was written in 2007 (probably why there're more reviews) so I wonder if some of the information is outdated.

Or is there another book I ought to look into?

With Blender its always best to go newer I think. The pace these guys manage in updating it is pretty exceptional, and anything more than a year or so old will be very frustrating because of interface changes and whatnot. In fact the interface overhaul between 2.49 and 2.5 is huge and I haven't made the switch because of this. The fact that Mastering Blender incorporates the 2.48 installation is promising, but expect some serious frustration when you're trying to find something thats been moved to another tab or been completely renamed for whatever reason.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Ratmann posted:

Cinema 4D scrotum :nws:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6ysl_lq7IU

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving

Alan Smithee posted:

Haha, thanks for this. I pray I never have to model some testi's.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

le capitan posted:

Haha, thanks for this. I pray I never have to model some testi's.

I had to rig them, people sitting a few rows behind me were wondering why the gently caress I had dog cock on my monitor.

Good times.

Best part is when the client decides to back away from anatomically correct and go back to mushing/smoothing all the junk out.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

BigKOfJustice posted:

Good times.

There are some pretty ridiculous internal soft body tests floating around at work that no sane person should be subjected to. Imagine gay Spiderman dance and... Giblets.. Large giblets..

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you

Alan Smithee posted:

I want to spam all of work with this. But I know I shouldnt. Ohgod.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving

BigKOfJustice posted:

I had to rig them

IK/FK controllers, a master control for both, and individual ball control? I just can't imagine need that much control over scrotum, but I guess it depends on the project. Still makes me smile. The industry never ceases to amaze me.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

BigKOfJustice posted:

I had to rig them, people sitting a few rows behind me were wondering why the gently caress I had dog cock on my monitor.

Sounds like the perfect thing to open a demoreel with :)

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002

Alan Smithee posted:

This made me laugh pretty hard. I don't know what amused me more, the fact that someone put that much effort into a tutorial for balls, or that I ended up watching it as intently and informatively as I did.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
This is just a quick v-ray question: what primary and secondary lighting methods should I use for a short animation? It really doesn't have to be really high quality lighting and all that since it's just a short animation but really anything I do will be better than the poo poo default lighting I have now. I haven't used v-ray in so long I've forgotten pretty much everything about it. If it helps the decision, the animation starts out in a room, the character runs outside then down a long street. Before he starts running, the house explodes with a shrapnel whirl. I know this changes how the light cache or irradience maps are used and re-used.

Any help would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

le capitan posted:

IK/FK controllers, a master control for both, and individual ball control? I just can't imagine need that much control over scrotum, but I guess it depends on the project. Still makes me smile. The industry never ceases to amaze me.

Nah, just geometry groups for isolating different parts. You can run a harmonic/jiggle or go as far as a cloth simulation if you want to get crazy.

We put "junk" controls on a few high profile characters and most of them are just spheroid displacement or some form of jiggle/harmonic.. no actual rigging, the desired result is usually .. subtle.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 9, 2010