Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

BigKOfJustice posted:

Would you need to do any drivetrain/steering upgrades to handle a 37?
He shouldn't have to on a Rubi jk. Steering might be abit loose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Om3rta
Mar 3, 2010
http://www.cherokeetalk.com/forum/m...ars-flexing.jpg

http://www.cherokeetalk.com/forum/m...ars-flexing.jpg

Jeep Year:

Jeep Model:
Cherokee

Engine:
I6 4.0
Cold-air Intake with a Cone Filter.

Exhaust:
2 inch pipe from the cat back with a dump at the end of it. Pretty loud for a 6 cylinder. Good snapping around 2000rpms-3000rpms!!!

Transmission:
AX15 (Manual Five Speed)

Transfer Case:
NP231

Steering:
Stock Gearbox
Rough Country Adj. Trac Bar

Front Axle:
Stock Dana 30

Rear Axle:
Stock Chrysler 8.25 - 27 spline

Suspension:
4.5 Rough Country; Full Leaf
Packs in the rear. 4.5 inch coils in the front. Sway bar disconnects.

Tires:
31x10.50r15 Hercules Trail Digger M/T

Wheels:
Eagle Alloy 15x8 Spray Painted Black

Accessories:
(2) pioneer 5" in the rear soundbar (2) Infinity 5 1/4 in the front kick panels.
Custom Hood Vents
Bedlined Hood, Rocker Panels, Interior floorboards.
Smoked out front and rear markers, and rear break lights.
Mopar nerf bars. Painted black.

Om3rta fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 7, 2010

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
I've got '96 Cherokee and recently the hood latch broke. I've got a replacement. I took the inside panel off and removed the bracket that holds the cable. Took the cable and stripped it, so with a pair of pliers opening the hood is no problem. Fixing it however looks like it might pose a challenge. I have to drill out the rivets that connect the driver's-side bell crank, but I have no idea what size rivets to use to replace them. Somebody here has had to of done this before.

indoflaven fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 9, 2010

Om3rta
Mar 3, 2010
Or you can do what I did after my hood latch assembly went to poo poo and put some hood pins on your hood.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G3871/

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
haha no thanks my jeep still looks good stock. I'm thinking I could just use screws, and trying to think why they just didn't in the first place. My assembly didn't go to poo poo, I just pulled the plastic handle off the cable and some cable came with it.

Om3rta
Mar 3, 2010
Pictures would help us all out to help you. If you can't find information here, goto a jeep cherokee specified forum. Google it.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
Rivets in question. Still waiting on stupid ups for the cable though.

Om3rta
Mar 3, 2010
What are you having trouble with, how to take out the rivet?

grnberet2b
Aug 12, 2008

Om3rta posted:

What are you having trouble with, how to take out the rivet?

He wants to know what size the rivet is so he can replace it.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Drill it out and buy a small assortment from auto zone.

or drill out the rivets and replace them with bolts, which is what I did for my old camaro's window regulator.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
Thanks for the replies. I had no idea there were basically only 3 sizes of rivets. I would bolt it but I've never riveted anything before so what the hell.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon

indoflaven posted:

I've got '96 Cherokee and recently the hood latch broke. I've got a replacement. I took the inside panel off and removed the bracket that holds the cable. Took the cable and stripped it, so with a pair of pliers opening the hood is no problem. Fixing it however looks like it might pose a challenge. I have to drill out the rivets that connect the driver's-side bell crank, but I have no idea what size rivets to use to replace them. Somebody here has had to of done this before.

My 00's hood latch is notoriously sticky and likes to jam. Thankfully it hasn't totally siezed on me yet. I spray the poo poo out of it with white lithium (or whatever heavy grease I can find nearby) almost every time I open it. I think there are too many moving parts in the drat thing and the lubricated areas are too exposed for grease to stay for long.

SuperJens
May 1, 2003

No need for text here please thanks you very much come again
Hopefully I can pitch in with a photo or ten, the wife agreed its time to ditch our two cars and buy a Jeep. I'm aiming for a new Unlimited Sport, I'd like the Rubicon but honestly can't justify the cost against the fact that I'll never go rock crawling. At most it'll be fire roads and abandoned trails.

I can't wait to go wheeling with the roof off!

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Even if you'll "never" go rock crawling, buy the Rubicon.

I can tell you what'll happen, you'll go wheeling, have a blast, and then start thinking "I'd love to go rock crawling, but I didn't buy the rubicon..." then you'll buy a rubicon. It's the circle of jeeps.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
Ordered armor for my LJ Rubi.

http://www.mikegreen4x4.com/afm/index.htm - LCA skids.

https://secure.aev-conversions.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=NTH242

This thing is just sex. Armored sex.

I wanted one of these: http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/product.aspx?id=1274
RAMPED HD COVER FOR DANA 44 FRONT

But I held off. I want it. Not that it matters. I'm in the middle of moving and won't get a chance to install anything for about three weeks then the weekend I'm available to do poo poo, I'm going fishing.

Priorities. I know. But goddammit I have the poo poo in my living room by crackie.

If I get the diff guard/cover between now and then that will only leave, steering skid and radiator skid.

Leaving bl/mml tummy tucker skid and MAYBE a gas tank skid.

I don't believe I'm going to lift it. Once I have armored everything up, imma gonna hi-line it (http://www.aev-conversions.com/products/highline/) and run 33s.

That's most likely next year.

Should I get beefier control arms or run the oems until I NEED to upgrade?

TraumaMonkey
Dec 7, 2009
Just get the Rubicon. You'll end up needing lockers or d44's eventually anyway.

I've got a 2000 Sport, should have held out for a Rubicon.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

incredibull posted:

Now is a great time to cruise craigslist for a hardtop.

Thanks for the info man. I found one for sale near my area for $1000, I'm going to talk him down a bit though as his ad has been up for a while.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
I've got a complete LJ soft top for sale. Shipping would be interesting, but anyone around NC might wanna meet somewhere.

ohjoshdarnit
Nov 2, 2005
Adventurer
Just got my Jeep, a '07 Wrangler Sahara 4WD.

Kind of pissed though since today the service engine soon light popped on while driving home from the grocery store. I've driven it a few times since and it's still on. I have adjusted the gas cap a couple times to make sure it's not that.
Is there a cheap way to get the diagnostic code read somewhere? While trying to convince me to buy a warranty (I didn't) the dealership said its $200 to have it done.
Although since I just bought the jeep yesterday I feel like I could complain enough to get it done for free..

edit: Thanks SNiPER_magnum, I should've thought of that. Went to a Schuck's and it was "P0405 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor A Circuit Low."

ohjoshdarnit fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 15, 2010

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
AutoZone, Advance, etc can pull OBDII trouble codes.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

ohjoshdarnit posted:

edit: Thanks SNiPER_magnum, I should've thought of that. Went to a Schuck's and it was "P0405 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor A Circuit Low."

I've got that same code on my 08 Rubi. It comes on and off sporadically. I haven't taken it in yet.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BigKOfJustice posted:

Would you need to do any drivetrain/steering upgrades to handle a 37?

I upgraded to dual steering dampers. I'm also adding gussets to the "C" steering knuckle things at the end of the axles, but other than that, no. I'm most likely going to regear to 5.13:1 diff gears, but maybe not. If it's still fine in 4-LO I might just drive about without overdrive. It would suck to install those steep gears and then be forced to drive about with a large tire when 80% of my driving is work commute.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Anyone in the Seattle area need a stock JK Rubi bumper or know anyone who does?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pts/1636545656.html

I upgraded to a stubby and have no use for this.

edit: VVV poo poo, I hadn't taken any pics of the new bumper. This is the best I have. Sadly, it is lacking a winch.

Braincloud fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 16, 2010

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

Braincloud posted:

Anyone in the Seattle area need a stock JK Rubi bumper or know anyone who does?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pts/1636545656.html

I upgraded to a stubby and have no use for this.

AND YOU DON'T POST A PICTURE!?

come on man.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
My parents seized the 4.0 in our Jeep Cherokee Sport a few days ago. I gave them a :psyduck: because I thought that was extremely difficult if not impossible.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Muffinpox posted:

My parents seized the 4.0 in our Jeep Cherokee Sport a few days ago. I gave them a :psyduck: because I thought that was extremely difficult if not impossible.

It's rare, but any engine can be destroyed. They were probably too nice to it.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

The trick with the 4.0 is no never change the oil, also run it without any coolant. That way it'll last forever.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Also, the oil leaks aren't issues to be fixed - they are to keep your engine and underbody from rusting.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

A real jeep man drives it until the engine literally sheds the body while going down the street, and then for a while after that. Some people insist that you shouldn't let it get that far. To those people, I say this: Spiders shed and they grow. It's the way nature works.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

What is the opinion on the Patriot/Compass? My sister is thinking of getting one, or another small SUV. I really don't know much about them and she keeps asking me questions because I "have opinions on cars."

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
OK, I'm sure this has been covered, but I have a high idle. 1989 4.0 Cherokee Lardasso. After today's gently caress-fest at the DMV, tomorrow I hope to get new shoes.

Then I will rub bacon on my privates and have a good time.

Really, it's funny how loving small and low to the ground the Cherokee really is, I can't wait to have some new rubber on all four corners so I can whip that bitch harder in the corners.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Can anyone venture to tell me the source of the intermittent electrical fault in my 88 Cherokee?
It only seems to affect the wipers, ventilation system and radio. Sometimes they work fine, other times not at all, I can't see any relationship between the fault and any other condition. Any Ideas?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

FogHelmut posted:

What is the opinion on the Patriot/Compass? My sister is thinking of getting one, or another small SUV. I really don't know much about them and she keeps asking me questions because I "have opinions on cars."

In my opinion the factory line that produced them should have ended at the precipice of a very large cliff, so that every single one of them could be thrown off it.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

yaffle posted:

Can anyone venture to tell me the source of the intermittent electrical fault in my 88 Cherokee?
It only seems to affect the wipers, ventilation system and radio. Sometimes they work fine, other times not at all, I can't see any relationship between the fault and any other condition. Any Ideas?

Electrical problems aren't that easy - they take careful diagnosis. Having said that, jeeps tend to act like that when they aren't getting enough voltage and/or have a short. Common culprits tend to be low / bad batteries, bad grounds, and corroded battery cables. I would check the battery, then unwrap and check the battery cables. Then start taking a look at the rest of the harness. Look for cables that have rubbed through the insulation on something.

If none of that pans out, then get a multimeter, an electrical diagram and have fun! :smithicide:

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

trouser chili posted:

In my opinion the factory line that produced them should have ended at the precipice of a very large cliff, so that every single one of them could be thrown off it.

This.

they don't deserve the Jeep brand.

Get a Cherokee or a Wrangler or a GC. Even the liberty is pretty gay and lacks the raw ruggedness and durability of the traditional Jeep.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
Is there anything other than routine maintenance that needs to done at 140-150k miles on a 99 cherokee? The previous owner took awesome care of it and I have receipts for everything so I'm not worried about it being hosed I just would like to keep up with the stuff, as there is no reason not to try and take the same level of care.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

SpecialK2 posted:

Is there anything other than routine maintenance that needs to done at 140-150k miles on a 99 cherokee? The previous owner took awesome care of it and I have receipts for everything so I'm not worried about it being hosed I just would like to keep up with the stuff, as there is no reason not to try and take the same level of care.

I've found the Cherokee to be an almost exclusively routine maintenance only vehicle. Minor issues here and there but by and large trouble-free.

If it was a few years older I'd suggest inspecting the exhaust manifold closely but yours should have the newer 2-piece manifold that lasts longer. A/C may need annual recharging too.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

FogHelmut posted:

Having been a passenger many times in a Patriot, it isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. If you want to do off-roading, towing, or hauling it probably isn't for you. If you want a hatchback with a bit more room and with all-wheel-drive, then its just fine, and has a bunch more leg room than a Cherokee. I can't comment on the all-wheel-drive though because my friend's wife refuses to drive an automatic so she had to settle for the Luddite Jeep with no options or power anything.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

Getting a car with no power anything is a good way to keep a car forever, if you ask me.

Every car I've sent to an early grave has been because of misc electrical issues like windows refusing to roll up, power locks not locking/unlocking et cetera.

That said, my miata is going to suffer long and hard on it's failing driver's side window motor, because I'm holding out hope it's the regulator since it rolls up fine but goes slower and slower as you go down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Tell me about it. My Cherokee has needed both front window regulators replaced, my gauges sometimes cut out for about a minute at a time, I may have to run new wires to the driver's speaker because it has gone silent and the speaker is fine, my gauges have no idea what the transfer case is doing, and just yesterday my dash stopped lighting up when I turn my headlights on.

Any ideas about the gauge lights though? The radio still dims when I turn on my lights so could it just be the 12 year old bulb in the dash? The odometer doesn't dim anymore either but I don't know if that's just because of the extra draw for the gauge light.