Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Time-lapse shot with a Nikon D3, creating a miniature New York:
http://www.vimeo.com/9679622

For more information, see this link:
http://aerofilm.blogspot.com/2010/02/sandpit-short-film-by-aero-director-sam.html
What's really impressive is that he's shot some of the scenes hand held. No tilt shift lenses involved either.

DanTheFryingPan fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 5, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

DanTheFryingPan posted:

Time-lapse shot with a Nikon D3, creating a miniature New York:
http://www.vimeo.com/9679622

For more information, see this link:
http://aerofilm.blogspot.com/2010/02/sandpit-short-film-by-aero-director-sam.html
What's really impressive is that he's shot some of the scenes hand held. No tilt shift lenses involved either.

Keith Loutit really perfected this technique a few years ago. I love the end-result, but the time and work that goes into it is daunting.

Here's a video of the guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_1zzPCnyOI

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
I was reading the marketing materials for the Pentax X90, one of the superzoom compacts. In the list of features is this:

quote:

The X90 features the upgraded Face Detection AF & AE function, which automatically detects up to 32 faces in the image field in a mere 0.03 seconds and captures them in great accuracy and with superb clarity, even when the faces are tilted or turned sideways. It also offers a new Small Face filter, which makes the subject’s face appear slightly smaller than in reality in recorded images. In addition, the X90 offers other user-friendly functions designed to produce beautiful portraits with ease: the Smile Capture function, which automatically releases the shutter the instant it detects the subject’s smile; and the Blinking Detection function, which warns the photographer when the subject’s eyes close at the time of shutter release.

What? Who wants this? What is the reasoning? Are they trying to capture the lucrative people-who-think-their-heads-are-too-big market? Is there some Asian cultural stigma against having a big head? Or does it filter just the faces, leaving the heads the same size? Why?

I welcome any ideas on what the point of this is, because I'm at a total loss.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

orange lime posted:

I was reading the marketing materials for the Pentax X90, one of the superzoom compacts. In the list of features is this:

What? Who wants this? What is the reasoning? Are they trying to capture the lucrative people-who-think-their-heads-are-too-big market? Is there some Asian cultural stigma against having a big head? Or does it filter just the faces, leaving the heads the same size? Why?

If it's shrinking the whole picture horizontally by just a little bit, it could be to stop people from being all like "oh god I look fat, don't photograph me!"... Cancelling out the whole "camera adds ten pounds" nonsense maybe?

A full scale of JUST the head wouldn't make any sense and I don't even see how it could possibly work unless the camera was cloning in new background stuff or bending light around a person in some impossible way.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Probably makes them look less weird when you take a photo up close at a wide angle.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't care how gimmicky T&S photography is, I will never not be in love with it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

orange lime posted:

I never realised that there was a whole section of humanity who were concerened that their heads were too big. And there there were enough of them to justify the cost of implementing such a feature.

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

A full scale of JUST the head wouldn't make any sense and I don't even see how it could possibly work unless the camera was cloning in new background stuff or bending light around a person in some impossible way.

I guess they could do it reasonably well, just by looking for a face and then distorting that area inwards a little. Background may get a little stretched, but you'd probably not notice it too much.

HPL posted:

Probably makes them look less weird when you take a photo up close at a wide angle.

Well, it won't correct the distorting that give you a huge nose and funny eyes, so perhaps it really is for big headed people with self-image issues...

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hahaha that's amazing Ringo 8)

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Photographer captures amazing images of lions after submerging himself in watering hole for three months (and getting exotic parasites)

And his blog post about it

Ringo R fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 7, 2010

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

'This worm was actually visible under the skin of my foot and would move at night. It became a game to find the worm in my foot each morning'

This guy deserves any award he wins.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Is it sad that I thought "eh, they're just lions"? They're great photos, but I don't see the great benefit to humanity that he created. All that to get a photo that's been published thousands of times, but this time with a short lens? I sure wouldn't loving do that.

I mean,

quote:

He added: 'The high red blood platelet count signalled that I was carrying a lot of parasites. This included numerous species of internal worm parasites and a particularly nasty external worm parasite known as Hook Worm.

'This worm was actually visible under the skin of my foot and would move at night. It became a game to find the worm in my foot each morning.'

:barf:

What happened to sticking a camera on a pole in the pond and using a remote control?

[e] ugh ugh ugh I should not have looked up Bilharzia. It's a tiny worm that burrows into your skin, crawls through your body, and lays eggs in your bladder and spinal cord :gonk:

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Does any photography really have a great benefit to humanity?

There is something to be said for taking a photo in a way that nobody else has taken, and for some people it absolutely is worth the hassle to do it - not just monetarily. I would imagine that this story will help boost the popularity of it quite a bit.

e - oh god daily mail comments. so terrible. There's a reason why I swore never to look at the Daily Mail :(

Paragon8 fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 7, 2010

Defecting to Nine
Sep 16, 2008
While those photos are pretty darn cool, was it really worth harming his health like that? I mean, poo poo, toss the camera in a soundblimp, stick it on a pole, with a remote and set up camp a bit away, and shoot to your hearts content. You'd get the same shots, and not harm yourself.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Other animals could move the camera, covered with insects, run out of battery, any malfunction, inability to choose subjects, no budget, no time (alright, seems unlikely in this case), etc. Any number of reasons why he may not have done that.

You might not have been in a position where there's ONE SHOT and you know EXACTLY how to get it; eventually you say "gently caress it" and ignore safety/rules/norms/dignity and do what it takes to get it done. It's a fantastic feeling when you finally get what you've been after.

I just wonder: why not a loving wetsuit or something man?

e: YEARS of trying. Christ I can't imagine how he must have felt when he was making those photos.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.
Suppose if that's what your passionate about you would go to those sort of lengths to get the pictures you wanted, same with war photographers and the like, its no different from lying in a bunker with bombs going off around you while yur trying to get the shot.

I couldn't imagine doing it, because I don't really have a great interest in wildlife, on the other hand i could easily see myself camping out with the homeless or whatever because that's what interests me, so you do what you have to.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
^^I want to shoot homeless people, but I need a way longer lens.

A dry suit would have stopped worms from invading his anus, but I'm not sure how well dry suits work in Africa.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Haha I had the entire exchange of the past several posts as internal dialog before I scrolled down and read them. My initial reaction was "why not a remote?" but I imagine he must have tried that at some point. Then I thought about the crazy poo poo I've done and want to do that other people would probably trash, and yeah, I can see where this guy's coming from.

Ease, I'm not sure if you're joking or serious, but I've been working on a project with the homeless for a few months now and I'd be happy to shed some light on that. Protip: good relationships are infinitely more valuable than long glass. :)

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

BobTheCow posted:

Ease, I'm not sure if you're joking or serious, but I've been working on a project with the homeless for a few months now and I'd be happy to shed some light on that. Protip: good relationships are infinitely more valuable than long glass. :)

Yep, save money on the glass and go and talk to a few.

Any links to your project? would love to see something.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

BobTheCow posted:

I've been working on a project with the homeless for a few months now and I'd be happy to shed some light on that. Protip: good relationships are infinitely more valuable than long glass. :)

I think this would make an awesome thread jut fyi.

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street

Interrupting Moss posted:

e: YEARS of trying. Christ I can't imagine how he must have felt when he was making those photos.

I am trying to imagine the discipline it must take not to scratch and keep your finger on the trigger while something inchworms it's way towards your anus with tiny lamprey teeth.

The Article posted:

"Pride: These lions were only a leap away from Mr du Toit and were aware that there was something in the pool"

Duh, alligator hat.

ass is my canvas fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 8, 2010

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Canon Lens mug on eBay

As soon as I go to the bank tomorrow I am ordering one.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Interrupting Moss posted:

I just wonder: why not a loving wetsuit or something man?
Pretty much this. Couple hundred bucks would have easily spared him the Hook Worm Experience.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

wetsuits aren't watertight, and even if they were - I'd imagine no matter what environmental protection you had, after three months of spending three hours a day in the pond you would end up with something.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Well, on the extreme end of things :

Click here for the full 1024x1365 image.

These guys dive in poo poo.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Kazy posted:

Canon Lens mug on eBay

As soon as I go to the bank tomorrow I am ordering one.

$40 for a mug? Even cups are expensive in the photo world. :(

What a waste of money. I so want one though.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

fronkpies posted:

Yep, save money on the glass and go and talk to a few.

Any links to your project? would love to see something.

ease posted:

I think this would make an awesome thread jut fyi.

I'll probably post something after we've made more progress. Right now, there's not a lot to show. I'm part of a two-man independent team. We're putting together a collection of photos, video, and written work profiling a variety of people in the east end of Newport News, from homeless people, to people at churches who try to help out, to folks who run shelters, and eventually local elected officials (city council, etc.).

We're gonna put together a multimedia web site profiling some of the homeless that we've been able to spend the most time with, looking at why they're in the position they are (a variety of reasons depending on the person), what they've done to help their situation, and what their future looks like. At the same time we're exploring what the city and local churches and charities have done to help, what more they might be able to do, and compare all this work to successful programs from other parts of the country.

Even though I've been going down there for a couple months now, I don't have a single frame to show for it yet, and only a couple of mediocre video interviews/audio recordings. The other guy has a few solid frames, but not nearly close enough what we need to make this project work.

Essentially what we've been doing is heading down there a couple times a week and just talking with people. A couple of white guys chilling in the east end with cameras naturally skeezes a lot of folks out, so our focus has been on building relationships and gaining trust before we can produce any actual content.

It's been rewarding and scary and hopeful and frustrating and a whole range of other emotions, but I'm really excited to be working on it and I'm happy with the direction it's heading and the amount we've been able to accomplish so far. We're hoping to go live with the site this summer.

fake edit: God I need to stop replying to simple questions with full-blown essays, sorry about that. :(

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I wouldn't bother ordering the mug yet, wait for someone to do a batch order and sell them with cheaper shipping. I think if you give it a week or two, it'll probably be available to order for $30~ or so shipped.

That one isn't a travel mug, it's a regular coffee cup, but you can close it with a 77mm~ lens cap, which is interesting.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
Just wanted to say, because I read this thread then ventured out in a storm last night, I really believe the way to get noticed with your photography nowadays is to actually get out there and do something utterly ridiculous.

I don't even really like the guy's photos, but they are masterpieces, solely because no one else is willing to go to those lengths to get photos like that.

And that's why I wish there were brochures I could download, and letters I could send, and clipboarded girls on street corners I could hire, to sell the idea that photography, as we know it, should be criminalized and prosecution chased.

I guess it could be argued photography would stagnate, but the photos would at least be worth something.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Helmacron posted:

Just wanted to say, because I read this thread then ventured out in a storm last night, I really believe the way to get noticed with your photography nowadays is to actually get out there and do something utterly ridiculous.

I don't even really like the guy's photos, but they are masterpieces, solely because no one else is willing to go to those lengths to get photos like that.

And that's why I wish there were brochures I could download, and letters I could send, and clipboarded girls on street corners I could hire, to sell the idea that photography, as we know it, should be criminalized and prosecution chased.

I guess it could be argued photography would stagnate, but the photos would at least be worth something.

I never quite know what you are saying when you post, but it always has such strong convictions... and mind altering 360 panoramas.

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.
I hope this hasn't been posted before, but the Boston Globe has set up a website that's dedicated to news photography.

https://www.boston.com/bigpicture

Some pretty cool stuff there.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

unleash the unicorn posted:

I hope this hasn't been posted before, but the Boston Globe has set up a website that's dedicated to news photography.

https://www.boston.com/bigpicture

Some pretty cool stuff there.

Its very very old news? Honestly its all over the web. Even here in Australia it gets linked to very often.

I mean its not crap (one of the best sites for news photos)...but how haven't you seen this before?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
To anybody who was interested in the 70-200 replica mug, you may want to send an email to:

info@simonscameras.com

so they will add you on the list for one. They put in an order for a few but sold those out and ordered the maximum they could for their next ( and likely last ) shipment. They're expecting about 100 of them by the end of next week, and over 40 have been reserved by people.

$30 canadian + shipping (8-12~ canadian to the US)

I put myself on their list for one because I need a new thermos, and I'd rather spend $40 on a crazy unique one than $20 on a regular one.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Anyone going to Photoshop World in Orlando this year? I live close by and there is a free expo only pass for the last two days of the show. I'm thinking about going the second to last day.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Helmacron posted:

the way to get noticed with your photography [...]

Get noticed by whom? That's the million dollar question.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Haggins posted:

Anyone going to Photoshop World in Orlando this year? I live close by and there is a free expo only pass for the last two days of the show. I'm thinking about going the second to last day.

Why bother? You can just Photoshop yourself in there.

TheFuglyStik
Mar 7, 2003

Attention-starved & smugly condescending, the hipster has been deemed by
top scientists as:
"The self-important, unemployable clowns of the modern age."

Mannequin posted:

Get noticed by whom? That's the million dollar question.

The kind of editors who think "We don't know of a photographer crazy enough to sit around surrounded by big and small things that could easily kill or maim him for hours on end every day. Wait... there's that one dumb motherfucker who caught those crazy African parasites and was drat glad about it... What's his day rate?"

Not the market I want to chase, but whatever pays the bills.

TheFuglyStik fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 10, 2010

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
Dude I used to work with would always talk about some crazy fucker who you could pay to dig anything, anywhere. Want to dig for footings in the middle of a forest? Pay this guy. Apparently the dude, when he took breaks, would sit and sharpen his shovel on a wetstone.

That's the market I dream of getting into. Doing something so ridiculous, people find you and pay you for it.

gently caress weddings. gently caress portrait photography and making a collage of artsy cafe photographs. What about those long range photographs into North Korea? What about James Nachtwey visiting the sulfur mines. What about Kevin Carter ala Bang Bang Club. How do you get into that short of buying a camera and sneaking into a warzone and who the hell will you get to publish your picture, on account of everyone having a camera phone? Does National Geographic still insist on using only slides and negatives?

Also, on an unrelated note: I saw that picture of the vulture and the starving child, and I bet, despite whatever Kevin Carter said to the vindictive media before he asphyxiated himself, if you could see the rest of that film role, it's everything up to the vulture pecking the child's eyes out and gouging out the child's tongue. Does everyone else think this?

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Helmacron posted:

gently caress weddings. gently caress portrait photography and making a collage of artsy cafe photographs. What about those long range photographs into North Korea? What about James Nachtwey visiting the sulfur mines. What about Kevin Carter ala Bang Bang Club. How do you get into that short of buying a camera and sneaking into a warzone and who the hell will you get to publish your picture, on account of everyone having a camera phone? Does National Geographic still insist on using only slides and negatives?

I think these days its just about paying to do it yourself and trying to sell the photos later, unless you already work for some kind of publication. I think the trick is being independently wealthy or having the ability to get a hefty grant or loan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

There's a lot of being in the right place at the right time.

There's some young guy - Ed something. He was doing a degree in poly/sci in either Beirut or Tel Aviv, not sure which. Of course the 2006 Israel/Hezbollah war happened while he was there. He was able to leverage his pictures from that into all kinds of future jobs.

He's a good photographer, but luck was a huge factor in him taking the next level.