Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Supreme Allah posted:

Always wondered - Is Undertaker the only 300+ lb wrestler to do the top-rope plancha dive out of the ring? I think Mike Awesome did it but he wasn't that big, was he?

Diesel did one. I think only once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Supreme Allah posted:

Always wondered - Is Undertaker the only 300+ lb wrestler to do the top-rope plancha dive out of the ring? I think Mike Awesome did it but he wasn't that big, was he?

I want to say Morishima has done it... but, I just can't picture it.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

MassRayPer posted:

If Morishima ever dove over the top rope, the force of impact would be so great that it would trigger a 10.0 earthquake.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
I wanna say there's a good possibility Bam Bam could do one, no idea if he ever did.

Also according to Wikipedia Mike Awesome was 290lbs. So it's practically like having the Undertaker land on you.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

MassRayPer posted:

It's just like if Kane ever did another hurricanrana.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

CM Junk posted:

This is why I think it's particularly interesting that WWE touted the hell out of The Wrestler, which not only shows the darker side of many wrestlers' personal lives after their glory days, but also had scenes that explicitly took place at CZW and ROH shows. I guess so long as they're not showing any actual competition on WWE programming it's OK.

Most people don't know that CZW and ROH are real, and are horrified to find out that CZW is real.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

CM Junk posted:

I thought he hated The Wrestler until he came out and personally proved the dirtsheets were lying the whole time.

Hahahahaha look at this guy

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

When was the Pat Patterson/Dolph Ziggler promo?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

projecthalaxy posted:

When was the Pat Patterson/Dolph Ziggler promo?

I want to say it was Bragging Rights. It completely bombed. You could see the exact moment when WWE gave up on Ziggler.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Breaking Point, actually.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

KungFu Grip posted:

I want to say it was Bragging Rights. It completely bombed. You could see the exact moment when WWE gave up on Ziggler.

Man, that promo was brutal. It was uncomfortable to watch how there was NO reaction to anything and it just seemed to go on and on and on. I would have thought someone would have told (Morrison, was it?) to go out there earlier.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Yeah, a lot of guys here had a huge hard-on for Ziggler up until that very promo. It was so bad it defies description.

I thought Ziggler sucked the whole time so I was pretty :smug: about the whole thing.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
samoa joe is only 280 lbs. but i think that answers the spirit of your question if not the letter (he's fat)

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

oldpainless posted:

Man, that promo was brutal. It was uncomfortable to watch how there was NO reaction to anything and it just seemed to go on and on and on. I would have thought someone would have told (Morrison, was it?) to go out there earlier.

As I recall, the crowd did at least pop for Patterson's entrance. At least.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Joe has lost at least twenty pounds since his Nation of Violence gimmick.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

oldpainless posted:

Diesel did one. I think only once.

No, he did it a few times. Y'know how Taker's is really graceful and exciting? Well, Nash's is sort of completely unlike that.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Theshby posted:

No, he did it a few times. Y'know how Taker's is really graceful and exciting? Well, Nash's is sort of completely unlike that.

Nash also didn't ever want to do dives like that and only did it so he wouldn't piss off the agents who plugged that spot into the match. What I really want to see is him sunset-flipping Bob Backlund.

Curtis of Nigeria
Jan 9, 2009
How did Goldberg debut in the WWE? I know he spears the Rock on Rock Appreciation Night, and that is his first appearance, but did they announce his arrival through vignettes, or did he appear earlier on that show. The crowd pretty much knows that he is coming, and Rock ignores their chants.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
they had a promo at wrestlemania xix. the raw where he speared the rock was the next night iirc

LividLiquid posted:

Joe has lost at least twenty pounds since his Nation of Violence gimmick.

o ok then he was literally 300 lbs back then. question answered.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Web Jew.0 posted:

they had a promo at wrestlemania xix. the raw where he speared the rock was the next night iirc
That always really bugged me. Even though I never liked Goldberg, they could have just held off on mentioning it for one night and it would have been a genuinely exciting surprise on Raw. Also Wrestlemania is NOT the time to announce something big for a future event. Wrestlemania is supposed to be the apex of all wrestling... Wrestlemania is where "tomorrow" doesn't exist.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Curtis of Nigeria posted:

How did Goldberg debut in the WWE? I know he spears the Rock on Rock Appreciation Night, and that is his first appearance, but did they announce his arrival through vignettes, or did he appear earlier on that show. The crowd pretty much knows that he is coming, and Rock ignores their chants.

A video was shown the night before that Raw at Wrestlemania XIX confirming his signing so it was only a matter of time before he showed up.

Edit: Woops.

Daniel Bryan fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Feb 28, 2010

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
I recently watched Shawn Michaels vs The British Bulldog for the European title at One Night Only in Birmingham, England. Heel Shawn was really something special back then. He comes out bouncing around like hes high out of his mind which he probably was. Then goes up to some girls and buries his face in one of their chests and just hangs there for a few seconds. After that he grabs some kids Bulldog action figure and drops it down the front of his pants. During the match there's some spots similar to the Hogan Summerslam oversells. To top it off he goes on to win the European title for no apparent reason in Davey Boy's hometown no less and gets booed out of the building.

So I just found this gem, anyone know what show/match it's from? Right up there with the Edge dick scratch but separate era's obviously.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bearnt! posted:

My favorite part of this gif is that right at the end you see the guy who he is mocking going absolutely out of his mind trying to get his hands on him. It's fantastic.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Jerusalem posted:

My favorite part of this gif is that right at the end you see the guy who he is mocking going absolutely out of his mind trying to get his hands on him. It's fantastic.

For me it's dropping the towel so he can work the imaginary balls. He's a craftsman. I've never seen anything so offensive on television.

Was this on PPV?

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn
You are both wrong, its that just before HBK drops the towel, he points to the guy to make sure the guy is appropriately understanding the symbolism of the gesture.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Were there any WCW-only shows/events made after WWF acquired it?

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Nope. The final Nitro was six days before WrestleMania X-Seven so WWF had bigger stuff on their plate at that point.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Dr Tran posted:

They claimed to not want to do anything until they had television.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Dr Tran posted:

They did book some house shows in June of 2001 under the WCW name, but they were canceled.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Was the intention ever to actually let Shane run WCW as a separate entity? It seems like it would have made sense to do it that way...

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

DannoMack posted:

Was the intention ever to actually let Shane run WCW as a separate entity? It seems like it would have made sense to do it that way...

I think that initially it was, but they couldn't get a TV deal for WCW so it was all scrapped.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bearnt! posted:

To top it off he goes on to win the European title for no apparent reason in Davey Boy's hometown no less and gets booed out of the building.

Bulldog was actually supposed to win, but Michaels bitched and whined until he got his way.

E: Also yeah, they wanted to do a separate WCW, but even the WWF's ratings were already falling by then, so no network would take it.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

DannoMack posted:

There was definitely intention.

WWF first tried to get someone under the Viacom umbrella to give them a two hour timeslot for WCW. They couldn't get it because they already took up a ton of programming.

Next, they tried to request Monday Night Raw becoming Monday Nitro while Smackdown! is the WWF brand. That was refused.

The next one was a little weirder. Someone else can fill the details, because I know I'm hazy on this, but I believe they were told they could get a show if they cut an hour out of Smackdown! and/or cut out an XFL broadcast and Vince balked at both.

Unfortunately, nobody in the WWF was savvy enough at the time to consider WCW as an internet only show until they found TV. I think once the XFL crashed that Viacom would have been more willing to add more WWF programming, even if it was under the WCW banner. My opinion has always been that the WCW purchase would have been more successful if XFL didn't happen at the same time.

MyStereoHasMono
Feb 23, 2006

Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space
Whats the deal with Paul London?

Havent watched wrestling in years but tonight someone posted a hilarious promo video of him and Bryan Danielson that made me watch a few other youtube videos. Dude looks incredibly charismatic/funny and also athletic as hell, reminds me of a younger and more agile Jericho or Christian. From what I read he had a brief stint in WWE but is no longer with them? What was his run like, why'd he get released, and what's the general consensus about him from you guys?

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Lots of :420: and a :riker: in what was supposed to be a serious moment got him in hot water.

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.

MyStereoHasMono posted:

Havent watched wrestling in years but tonight someone posted a hilarious promo video of him and Bryan Danielson that made me watch a few other youtube videos. Dude looks incredibly charismatic/funny and also athletic as hell, reminds me of a younger and more agile Jericho or Christian. From what I read he had a brief stint in WWE but is no longer with them? What was his run like, why'd he get released, and what's the general consensus about him from you guys?

All I know is the Futuristic Caveman could've gone places.

I've always liked Paul London. He was really good in the ring, but never really hit it off promo-wise. I agree he has some natural charisma, but I don't think it meshed well with whatever WWE tried to feed him. I've read that he and Kendrick were supposed to have some vignettes but they never aired because London was being a doof.

That. and the whole smiling while Vince was going to his fiery doom.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MyStereoHasMono posted:

He was in WWE for about 6 years, started off strong with a little tag title run with billy kidman, won the cruiserweight title, had a year long tag title run with brian kendrick, had a reputation of being a whiner and fairly regularly failed wellness for marijuana, and was utilized as a jobber in the latter half of his career. wwe banned the 450 and SSP for a few years after juventud guerrera botched it and almost broke london's face. Then they unbanned it when bourne was called up, london threw another hissy fit backstage, got released.

oh and when vince mcmahon was walking to his limo that was to explode, every wwe superstar was lined up in the hallway with a solemn look on their face. except london who had a huge loving grin.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
What's the general consensus on the truthfulness of the Ultimate Warrior documentary WWE put out?

I saw it and thought it was pretty hilarious, but ridiculously one-sided. On the other hand, they made a pretty convincing argument for Warrior being a totally bat-poo poo crazy ego-maniac, so I dunno what to make of it. Are there any outside sources that corroborate the stuff they talk about in it?

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

His stint was for many years. WWE used to have a Cruiserweight division and he wound up winning the title and holding it for a few months. While he was champion I think Vince was souring on the Division and London has said that he was actually told to stop doing high flying moves like the 450 and SSP.

He teamed up with Brian Kendrick for a few years and they wound up being the longest reigning WWE Tag Team Champions (SmackDown belts) in WWE.

After they lost the belts they did nothing with London, then got rid of him.

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 8, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I believe it is generally accurate, but severely slanted.