Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

redshirt posted:

I don't understand how any fan can hate the baby Connor arc, ending in baby Connor getting swept up and all abducted to Quartoth. It's tragic, and has all kinds of old school religious references. And vampires with babies, possibly eating said baby. Thanks TNT in the morning!

I think most fans (myself included) are cool with the baby arc, which really is masterfully done. The trouble comes when teen Connor shows up, and even that isn't too bad until the whole Evil Cordy nonsense starts up. That's when it went off the rails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

ShakeZula posted:

I think most fans (myself included) are cool with the baby arc, which really is masterfully done. The trouble comes when teen Connor shows up, and even that isn't too bad until the whole Evil Cordy nonsense starts up. That's when it went off the rails.

Teen Connor led to Angel's Champions speech in Deep Down, which was awesome. And it led to an awesome scene in the next episode where Angel threatens Lilah Angelus style. And I can even get Connor diggin' Cordy, cause it led to some hilarity in Spin in the Bottle.

Off the rails happened when Cordy went back to live with Connor some more after Spin the Bottle and then all hell broke loose:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I just don't understand why that scene freaks so many people out. He's 18. She's, what - 22? They're not related, it's raining fire and you're pretty sure the world's about to end. Why not get jiggy with it? You know Connor wants to. And forget any mention of Jasmine or evil entities: Why shouldn't Cordelia? She's got needs, y'all!

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

redshirt posted:

I just don't understand why that scene freaks so many people out. He's 18. She's, what - 22? They're not related, it's raining fire and you're pretty sure the world's about to end. Why not get jiggy with it? You know Connor wants to. And forget any mention of Jasmine or evil entities: Why shouldn't Cordelia? She's got needs, y'all!

Because she was his surrogate mother when Connor was an infant and that's akin to incest. It's not a hard thing to figure out.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Manos del Sino posted:

Because she was his surrogate mother when Connor was an infant and that's akin to incest. It's not a hard thing to figure out.

Yeah, it's weird. But this is world where babies age 18 years in the matter of a few weeks. Anyways, it's no worse than sleeping with your wicked hot stepmom if she was only your stepmom for a few days when you were a baby. Big woop.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

ShardPhoenix posted:

I thought the Buffy comics got bogged down a bit during the last couple of arcs but I'm enjoying the current one and I've enjoyed the comic overall so far. Hopefully they'll be able to take the whole Angel being Twilight thing somewhere interesting too.

Well now I don't feel so bad that I stopped reading the comics, what a stupid twist. Also, a vampire with the secret code-name Twilight. :lol: I realize the Twilight arc started before that awful series got popular, but it's still funny.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

I just caught up on the comics last night, Season 8 doesn't invalidate After the Fall at all. It might invalidate Aftermath, I don't remember how much time has passed between Season 7 and Season 8, but either way IDW has said no one talked to them about Twilight bullshit.

Either way, Angel ATF was great, Aftermath isn't nearly as good, and Season 8 had just been silly since the beginning, so becoming Superman doesn't really ruin anything.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Adam Bowen posted:

Well now I don't feel so bad that I stopped reading the comics, what a stupid twist. Also, a vampire with the secret code-name Twilight. :lol: I realize the Twilight arc started before that awful series got popular, but it's still funny.

The Twilight books have been popular for several years now, it's only the movies that have just started up. I'd be willing to be the naming is intentional on Whedon's part.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I'm sorry, the 'Angel is Twilight' twist is still the laziest possible option anybody could have come up with for Season 8.

Who is the one most illogical person to be Twilight? Why, Angel, of course. Because despite having lost her virginity to him, and known him intimately for years, she couldn't recognize his body size, build and voice. Hell, Angel's always been lovely at doing accents, so it's not like his voice would have been disguised very well.

It really comes down to 'We want to sell some issues of comics... who should we write? I know, Angel! And it'll be all dramatic and tense because they secretly love each other! The rest writes itself!"

I would have loved for Twilight to be a reborn Jonathan. Or Ethan Rayne. Or virtually anyone other than Angel, or Spike, who would be the most cliched 'masked villains' ever.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Casao posted:

I just caught up on the comics last night, Season 8 doesn't invalidate After the Fall at all. It might invalidate Aftermath, I don't remember how much time has passed between Season 7 and Season 8, but either way IDW has said no one talked to them about Twilight bullshit.

Either way, Angel ATF was great, Aftermath isn't nearly as good, and Season 8 had just been silly since the beginning, so becoming Superman doesn't really ruin anything.

A year and change passed between the end of Season 7 and Season 8. Which, by the (very spergy) way, makes some of the references to pop culture stuff like Fat Lee in Battlestar Galactica and Daniel Craig as 007 anachronistic.

(But that's the nature of a medium like comic books, you either keep Peter Parker trapped in the 70s or you handwave/retcon the time differentials away.)

Aside from hating that reveal and agreeing it was pretty much the worst possible, this issue had other problems, chiefly Xander continuing to call his newfound girlfriend "Dawnie." And I know they can get away with more now that it's not a TV show, but it just seems wrong to have all our old favorites dropping F-bombs, even censored ones. (It's actually ridiculous that I am put off by this given my love for books like "The Boys," but it's just a matter of this being like a departure from the source material.)

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 7, 2010

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Angry Midwesterner posted:

Aside from hating that reveal and agreeing it was pretty much the worst possible, this issue had other problems, chiefly Xander continuing to call his newfound girlfriend "Dawnie." And I know they can get away with more now that it's not a TV show, but it just seems wrong to have all our old favorites dropping F-bombs, even censored ones. (It's actually ridiculous that I am put off by this given my love for books like "The Boys," but it's just a matter of this being like a departure from the source material.)

Xander calling Dawn Dawnie is off-putting because it has paedo-flavour or what other reason?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

rejutka posted:

Xander calling Dawn Dawnie is off-putting because it has paedo-flavour or what other reason?

It is a little strange for him to continue using the nickname he gave her as a child when he is currently involved with her. Of course, I think it's ridiculous that they're even in a relationship.

Have to say I'm glad that I haven't been keeping up with Season 8. It just seems so absurd, and not nearly as thematically satisfying as Season 7 as far as the Slayer mythology and character arcs.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Yeah there's the pedophile aspect (and really every romantic relationship shown in the three years this book's been published has been awful). And related to that is just the fact that it's her kiddie nickname which doesn't suggest anything approaching a relationship of equals.

Or, as LF would put it: Joss Wheadon, male feminist :smug:

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Angry Midwesterner posted:

Yeah there's the pedophile aspect (and really every romantic relationship shown in the three years this book's been published has been awful). And related to that is just the fact that it's her kiddie nickname which doesn't suggest anything approaching a relationship of equals.

Or, as LF would put it: Joss Wheadon, male feminist :smug:

I haven't read any of the comics - apart from noticed the odd cover and had a quick flick through the issue - but it does open an interesting can o' worms to me. Does sexualization overpower all the rest and dominate? Is Xander channeling his inner paedo and getting her to dress up in her (a) school uniform lots or just on his birthday or what? Is it just she always looks really young? Y'know, the big questions.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

ShakeZula posted:

Honestly I found season 3 and 4 pretty hard to rewatch. They constantly use the same twist of "Oh finally, Connor is going to be reasonable!" -> "It's a trick, Connor's a oval office!" and it's annoying as hell. The best one had to be in Awakening where he comes clean and says him sleeping with Cordy was a lovely thing to do. That should have tipped me off that Angel was imagining the whole thing.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

rejutka posted:

I haven't read any of the comics - apart from noticed the odd cover and had a quick flick through the issue - but it does open an interesting can o' worms to me. Does sexualization overpower all the rest and dominate? Is Xander channeling his inner paedo and getting her to dress up in her (a) school uniform lots or just on his birthday or what? Is it just she always looks really young? Y'know, the big questions.

It's only been a few issues, but no, most of it has been Buffy seeing them, Buffy hitting on Xander, Xander telling her that's a scumbag move, and then Dawn showing up.

And honestly, I read the actual Twilight reveal last night and it really wasn't that bad. They're building it up as not some villain but Angel actually being there to help Buffy somehow. Aside from the terrible comic book conventions of "No you see, I was really HELPING you, despite all those attempts to kill you." (which you're probably willing to accept if you're reading comic books), it's not horrible. Worse is Buffy and Angel suddenly developing the really cliche super powers.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.

Adam Bowen posted:

I don't think it was stupid - Angel was one of the first people I suspected, before I started reading forums and going off the rails with crazy conspiracy theories about it being future Xander or a male version of Buffy or something. His overall behavior does require some justification though, which will hopefully come up in the next couple of issues. Also, the most recent issue makes a joke about the whole "Twilight" thing.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

So, I'm rewatching the Soul Purpose episode, and the recreations of the early episodes with Spike in the place are great. Almost as great as the Spike-as-Angel bits from Aftermath.

Basically anytime Spike mocks Angel is awesome.

Edit: HAHA, Fred digging through Angel and pulling out random poo poo is way too good.

EVGA Longoria fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 8, 2010

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Casao posted:

Edit: HAHA, Fred digging through Angel and pulling out random poo poo is way too good.

"Thank you, Bear."

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

The bear symbolizes Illyria, who is hibernating but will soon awaken, devouring Fred.

Or else it's just Angel's subconscious desire to have a hairy gay man all up in his innards.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Casao posted:

I lost it when she pulled out the license plate that was in the shark's stomach in Jaws and quoted Richard Dreyfuss.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
It has been 13 years since Buffy debuted. How am I that old? :(

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
Wow...

I'm imagining trying to show Buffy to some of my 7th or 8th grade students (I was in 6th when it premiered). "Where are the cellphones? Why are vampires bad?"

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Vampires are bad because they killed all the cellphones.

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007

Tupping Liberty posted:

Wow...

I'm imagining trying to show Buffy to some of my 7th or 8th grade students (I was in 6th when it premiered). "Where are the cellphones? Why are vampires bad?"

My German teacher in high school used to show Buffy episodes in German with english subtitles when he didnt feel like teaching and we ate that poo poo up.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

L.E. Cheetah posted:

My German teacher in high school used to show Buffy episodes in German with english subtitles when he didnt feel like teaching and we ate that poo poo up.

I used to watch Firefly in Spanish to improve my Spanish skills. I should go through Angel or Buffy on Spanish just to keep myself sharp.

White-Lightning
May 28, 2004
Some of you may remember me from a few pages ago. I was the ignorant, blasphemous fool who doubted the great Joss. I was having some trouble getting into Buffy at first, but I really wanted to get into it because I had enjoyed all of his other shows.

BOY am I glad I decided to push through the first few episodes (which aren't even THAT bad after going back and re watching) I have since blazed through all 7 seasons (in about oh, just about a month or so) and am going through the comic books now.

I just felt that I owed you here who encouraged me to push through the teen drama stuff to find the TV gold that is this show. THANK YOU ALL. ALL HAIL THE JOSS.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Go watch Angel next.

FrakkinCylon
Apr 25, 2008

My folks went to Caprica and all I got was this frakking avatar.

Aatrek posted:

Go watch Angel next.

Yeah, that would be a good plan. I liked Buffy better as a whole, but Angel was still pretty good.

Now that The Dollhouse is canceled, anyone have any word on what Whedon-y goodness we should look for next?

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I never did get into Buffy, but I hold Angel as one of the better shows I've seen. It's absurdity only serves to make it feel less fantastic. I don't think there's any other show that could offer up a sexually ambiguous green-skinned horned demon nightclub owner and convince me that he's one of the greatest characters in all of televisionland.

RIP Andy "Lorne" Hallett, you green bastard.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

FrakkinCylon posted:

Yeah, that would be a good plan. I liked Buffy better as a whole, but Angel was still pretty good.

Now that The Dollhouse is canceled, anyone have any word on what Whedon-y goodness we should look for next?

I prefer Angel, but any big fan of Buffy should watch it. I think its better to just take Angel alone, watch the whole thing, not worry about any Buffy crossovers, at least once.

I imagine that he's going to try and do more online stuff like Dr. Horrible. That's fine by me, I liked Dr. Horrible a lot more than Dollhouse. I think he's tired of television.

White-Lightning
May 28, 2004
Oh I'm watching Angel alright. Started just a few days after I watched the last episode of Buffy. I can't say which I like more yet, although from what I've seen from Angel (I'm a quarter of the way into the second season) the thing about characters that started on Buffy but then came to Angel are better on Angel. But both are amazing shows, and I'm really just starting to get attached to the current crew on Angel. What are the best overall seasons of this show? Just looking for general opinions, not trying to start an epic forum battle here or anything.

Also according to IMDB and some of the members over there, he is working on a new movie called Goners (~2011) and I found this:

In Joss' words "It's about a girl named Mia - who sort of sees in a mystical way the underbelly of the city and of human society, and goes through a kind of extraordinary hell, and we all have a lot of fun in the process."

Sounds kind of similar to both Buffy and Angel

White-Lightning fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 26, 2010

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Joss has a movie coming out this summer that he co-wrote and it stars many familiar faces. Fran Kanz (Topher), Tom Lenk (Andrew), and Amy Acker (Whiskey/Fred) are all in it as well as some non-Joss people like Bradley Whitford, Chris Hernsworth, and Richard Jenkins.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1259521/

Also, my favorite seasons of Angel are probably 2, 3, and 5. 1 still hadn't hit it's stride, and the middle third of season 4 is my least favorite arc in any television show that I like.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Superrodan posted:

Also, my favorite seasons of Angel are probably 2, 3, and 5. 1 still hadn't hit it's stride, and the middle third of season 4 is my least favorite arc in any television show that I like.

I just pretend S4 didn't happen.

White-Lightning
May 28, 2004
Should it be skipped entirely? I mean I hate watching a great show knowing I have to suffer through a lovely season if I want to finish it. But I can get through it if it has decent or important parts.

Quote: "I never did get into Buffy, but I hold Angel as one of the better shows I've seen"

How can this be? Angel CAME from buffy, along with several other characters. I had trouble getting into it at first, but at least try to make it, or possibly skip to the second season.

White-Lightning fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 26, 2010

White-Lightning
May 28, 2004
Accidentally quoted myself, trying to come up with something to post...please don't ban me.

White-Lightning fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 26, 2010

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

White-Lightning posted:

Should it be skipped entirely? I mean I hate watching a great show knowing I have to suffer through a lovely season if I want to finish it. But I can get through it if it has decent or important parts.

There's a good amount of stuff that's important and necessary to know for S5, and there are also some really great episodes in there. I'd say it's worth watching, especially with the marathonability of DVDs.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

White-Lightning posted:

Quote: "I never did get into Buffy, but I hold Angel as one of the better shows I've seen"

but at least try to make it, or possibly skip to the second season.

Oh, I've made it through Buffy and have seen each episode at least twice by now, but it never really grabbed me the way Angel did. I do appreciate their gimmick episodes (Hush, Once More) but overall, BtVS has never won me over.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Watch Angel s4 and form your own opinion. There's a good deal of people who love the season all the way through like me, and there's some that dislike a majority of it. Either way, go into it knowing it is one super long giant mega arc and is one of the most cinematic seasons of television out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

hope and vaseline posted:

Watch Angel s4 and form your own opinion. There's a good deal of people who love the season all the way through like me, and there's some that dislike a majority of it. Either way, go into it knowing it is one super long giant mega arc and is one of the most cinematic seasons of television out there.

Even though I don't like it, I agree with this.

It is definitely cinematic, and has a lot of series defining moments. My problem is that it just had one decision in storytelling that doesn't really make sense to me and I guess I can't get past it.

I won't spoil it, of course, but I look forward to hearing your reaction.

There are some episodes I remember liking very much (like "Habeas Corpses") and I would say that the last episode of the season is one of my favorite season finales of any Whedon show. It's up there with "The Gift", "Not Fade Away...", and "Restless". So get through it, it's worth it to get to the end.

• Locked thread