Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIzqJkGc4go

We just got this back from the videographer today, this is footage compiled from a performance in a Market St highrise in SF. Fun party, had 8 ColorSynths setup that I was controlling realtime in Ableton, synched to an RS7000 so the lights and music line up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
so sick!

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

I'm starting to get my live rig together, but I'm stuck on a laptop. Does anyone have anything to say about the best kind of machine for a low latency, reliable setup? I'm imagining many people are going to say a macbook pro, but are there any decent PC alternatives?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

pennywisdom posted:

I'm starting to get my live rig together, but I'm stuck on a laptop. Does anyone have anything to say about the best kind of machine for a low latency, reliable setup? I'm imagining many people are going to say a macbook pro, but are there any decent PC alternatives?

Macbook Pr...oh. You can dual boot your MBP into Windows, if you need that type of thing! :D

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

They are just so expensive :(. I mean I'll save up if it's an obvious advantage, but there has to be a PC just as capable. Do macs run off ASIO?

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

I have been the biggest pc whore for years, but my wife bought me a 15" mbp and I cannot beleive how much better it runs *everything*. In my band (not the one linked above) I'm playing back several vst instruments and ableton drum racks, and at the same time have 8 audio inputs for our vocalists, drums, guitars, and am monitoring them in realtime with automated fx sends, feeding two stereo outputs for the pa and a mono send to in ear monitors. My buffers are set to 6ms of latency and the thing has never so much as hiccuped let alone paused or crashed.

Before the mbp my toshiba pc laptop was just playing back a few tracks of audio and the best reliable latency with the same interface was 25ms. Anything less would be prone to random pauses and dropouts.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

That's not what I wanted to hear :(

Does it run everything great natively, or do you need to get some asio drivers or something of the like?

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.

pennywisdom posted:

Does it run everything great natively, or do you need to get some asio drivers or something of the like?

Nope, ASIO is a Windows-only workaround, OS X has Core Audio which works pretty well, but ideally you'd be using an external sound card.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

pennywisdom posted:

no, you just plug something into it and it works great. windows really sucks for this sort of thing.

fyi i still use pc for website stuff so im no mac snob.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Yeah, CoreAudio is so completely stable and awesome, and OS/X incorporates MIDI so intelligently, you can actually set up ethernet MIDI ports from within the system control panel.

The built in audio interface is so awesome I can actually plug in a MIDI controller and get useable latencies for playing soft-synths. If I have an idea I don't need to go grab all of my studio gear, I can just plug in some headphones and the little Akai 25 key controller I keep nearby.

Speaking of controllers, you can also hot swap them while Live is open. On a PC you have to close live, plug in the controller, wait for the windows "do-dee" to play a couple dozen times, and then relaunch live. On my MBP I can just unplug the launchpad and plug in my keyboard, the old MIDI ports disappear and the new ones show up. Oh and the audio playback doesn't even skip a beat!

If you are on a budget get a regular macbook. Don't forget to bring a student ID, if you don't have one borrow a friend who does and in the mac store they will take one look at it and then give you the discount (the wife saved $200 doing this with her cosmetology school ID).

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/education_routing/

If you don't need firewire, the macbook 2.26ghz w/ 4gb ram is $1000. The 2.53ghz 13 inch mbp with 4gb ram is $1400, the 15" is $1600.

It sounds like a lot of money but a good guitar player, drummer, or turntabalist will easily outspend that buying their instruments.

The

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

RivensBitch posted:

The

teh

I got a 2.0ghz older Macbook with Firewire 400 for $700 in January and I use it as my go-to midi guitar rig with hardly any problems whatsoever, except that I'm starting to overload Ableton (don't map two expression pedals to individual loop settings for every sample in five drum racks simultaneously and you won't run into this) and ideally I'd want something way faster somewhere in the future but so far so good. :buddy:

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
I have had max for live for 2 weeks almost. Buffer shuffler is the greatest thing ever. I can make so many cool blip bloopy percussion sounds with it, volcano2 and timeless2. Thanks max for live and for anyone needing a awesome delay GET TIMELESS 2.

sick sick sick 5 feedback knobs all chained to lfo's is too fun.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
I'm taking a Max4Live class in SF this month/next month, I'm pretty excited about it.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

stun runner posted:

I'm taking a Max4Live class in SF this month/next month, I'm pretty excited about it.

At robotspeak? If you're in town you should come to Milk on the 27th, Easystreet is performing and I'll have 16 ColorSynths running on Max4Live

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Yeah, at Robotspeak. That sounds pretty cool, I think I'll be around then :D

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Work just decided to give me a big random bonus so obviously I need to run to Guitar Center and spend it all...

I'm looking to pick up a weighted keyboard to use with Ableton. I don't play - but the idea is to learn, so I don't need something stupid crazy. I also plan on picking up an iPad and running TouchOSC on it, so I don't need a million controls on the device.

Soooooo do I cheap out and just get an Axiom, or should I spend a few more bucks and get a Novation SLMk2?

Thanks ya'll.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

For some reason I can't get TouchOSC to work on my iPhone, the ports show up in Ableton but the controls just don't work. If you or anyone else get that running feel free to post a step by step howto so I can feel like a complete idiot for missing something obvious.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

RivensBitch posted:

For some reason I can't get TouchOSC to work on my iPhone, the ports show up in Ableton but the controls just don't work. If you or anyone else get that running feel free to post a step by step howto so I can feel like a complete idiot for missing something obvious.

I've got it running TouchOSC -> pd (Puredata) -> MIDI Yoke -> Live (WinXP) on my iPod Touch (so it's on the same wireless LAN).

The tutorial on http://hexler.net/software/touchosc worked pretty well for me, the only tricky thing I ran into is that I had to manually open TCP port 9658 in order to send custom layouts from the UI editor to TouchOSC. Getting the OSC controls working in pd, and connecting pd to Live was all pretty straightforward.

Lewk
May 22, 2001

We've got Armadillos in our trousers. It's really quite frightening.

RivensBitch posted:

You've got OSCulator installed I take it? (if you're on a mac)

works fine for me.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

I saw something a few months back about a way to do networked audio in Ableton-- it's hard for me to track it down because so many people are talking about network MIDI (which owns btw). Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I also guess it could be useful to know about multi-channel support in Ableton, but I'm sure there are other resources for that.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

I saw something a few months back about a way to do networked audio in Ableton-- it's hard for me to track it down because so many people are talking about network MIDI (which owns btw). Anyone know what I'm talking about?

A quick search turns up http://code.google.com/p/wormhole2/

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Hm. That's two and a half years old and isn't showing up in my browser history, so I don't think it's what I remember, but I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

rustyw
Nov 27, 2005

magiccarpet posted:

Soooooo do I cheap out and just get an Axiom, or should I spend a few more bucks and get a Novation SLMk2?

Neither of those have weighted keys (they're like semiweighted or something which is not the same at all if you're learning piano, they just have more resistance). And honestly at this point I can't recommend the Axiom unless you're tight on cash because I have seen too many of those crap out too soon. I'm saying this because you want to learn piano and these are not the devices to do it on. If you want to learn piano with weighted keys you should get like a digital piano.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Is there any way to show a real clock in Live? Like a nice minutes:seconds deal instead of the impossible-to-keep-track-of bars:beats.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

Is there any way to show a real clock in Live? Like a nice minutes:seconds deal instead of the impossible-to-keep-track-of bars:beats.
If you work in arrangement view, there is a time ruler just below the track window.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
also there's a time ruler at the bottom of clips in the clip editor

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

rustyw posted:

Neither of those have weighted keys (they're like semiweighted or something which is not the same at all if you're learning piano, they just have more resistance). And honestly at this point I can't recommend the Axiom unless you're tight on cash because I have seen too many of those crap out too soon. I'm saying this because you want to learn piano and these are not the devices to do it on. If you want to learn piano with weighted keys you should get like a digital piano.

Great, thanks very much. I'll go poke around the piano thread.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
Is anyone interested in trading an APC40 for a Launchpad/Nocturn? Now that I'm settling into Live, I need the APC40 more than the Launchpad.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

I also guess it could be useful to know about multi-channel support in Ableton, but I'm sure there are other resources for that.

There's gotta be some way to do that with JACK. http://jackaudio.org/

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I am having issues getting my Axiom 49 to work with Ableton Live

The USB port only works to power the keyboard now so I'm running midi through my Focusrite Saffire. This works fine for Mixcraft, but I can't get the settings to recognize the keyboard in Ableton. It will work fine for a minute or two, hitting every keystroke, but after that, it will cut out or notes will hang and eventually it just cuts out until I reset the settings in Ableton.

I guess I need to figure out how to get Ableton to work with the Axiom MIDI through my Focusrite Saffire instead of USB2.0.

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 11, 2010

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Xovaan posted:

I am having issues getting my Axiom 49 to work with Ableton Live

The USB port only works to power the keyboard now so I'm running midi through my Focusrite Saffire. This works fine for Mixcraft, but I can't get the settings to recognize the keyboard in Ableton. It will work fine for a minute or two, hitting every keystroke, but after that, it will cut out or notes will hang and eventually it just cuts out until I reset the settings in Ableton.

I guess I need to figure out how to get Ableton to work with the Axiom MIDI through my Focusrite Saffire instead of USB2.0.

Have you tried powering it with an adapter? Maybe the fact that it's hooked up via USB and MIDI is confusing your poo poo? I use a power adapter and MIDI out to my Fast Track Pro and it works like a charm.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I'm trying to beatmatch two songs that I know are within a similar tempo, but for whatever reason Ableton recognizes the second song as having half that tempo. What I'm saying is that one song is around 130 BPM, while the second song is just as quick, but is only recognized as having a 63 BPM tempo. Is there a way I can play with the time signatures so that I can beatmatch the two at around 130-132 BPM?

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

illcendiary posted:

I'm trying to beatmatch two songs that I know are within a similar tempo, but for whatever reason Ableton recognizes the second song as having half that tempo. What I'm saying is that one song is around 130 BPM, while the second song is just as quick, but is only recognized as having a 63 BPM tempo. Is there a way I can play with the time signatures so that I can beatmatch the two at around 130-132 BPM?

Right under where it displays the clip's bpm, it should have two buttons, (:2) and (*2), which multiply and divide the bpm by two, should do the trick :)

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

mezzir posted:

Right under where it displays the clip's bpm, it should have two buttons, (:2) and (*2), which multiply and divide the bpm by two, should do the trick :)

Ah nice, I should have noticed those buttons! Thanks.

Strangely enough, for whatever reason, when I loaded up the song this time, Ableton did the work for me. Yesterday it was 63 BPM, today it is 126. Without me clicking anything.

:crossarms:

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

FLX posted:

If you work in arrangement view, there is a time ruler just below the track window.

I'm only working in session, this is for a live sort of sample-triggering thing and I'd like to have some idea of how long it's lasting. I have the tempo at 60bpm and the time signature at 60/4, but since the beats start at 1.1.1 (instead of 0.0.0) it's not a very good way of showing the time.

thArf
Oct 9, 2009
I've been working on a big liveset to play live with this spring and I'm pretty close to done, I'm still just trying to find my flow on it now. I'm only using a MPD32 right now, I'm getting a APC in a couple weeks. (Any good suggestions for external sound cards? (I like the M Audio 8 ultra)) But anyway there's just shy of 400 tracks (the wav folder is 20 gigs) in the file now that I went through and warped each one to be on time... don't ask how long that took. Most are 130 bpm but I have a section dedicated to non-dance.

So anyway I finally downloaded a screencap program and I'll whip up some stuff for you guys but I made a decent video of everything in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raR-G6hsamE

I have 4 sliders on the mpd for the levels then the next 4 for bass levels. Knobs for trebles and A/B effects on another bank. Buttons for fade to gray for each track and a master bass on the multiband compressor and an overdrive on the master on a wet dry knob. Also I can view all the wave forms or the effects for all 4 channels on a button bank under the sliders. I have the top row of drum pads for the 4 channel play buttons and a knob to scroll through the scenes. The rest of the pad will be used for effects not set up yet.

I loosely ordered all the tracks into a couple categories with their own coloring. Intro Trance/Trance/House/Non-130/Hard Style and all except the last two are split into vocal and instrumental.

And its all going to be in the clubs very soon so come on down if you live near Worcester Mass.

thArf fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Mar 13, 2010

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

prom candy posted:

Have you tried powering it with an adapter? Maybe the fact that it's hooked up via USB and MIDI is confusing your poo poo? I use a power adapter and MIDI out to my Fast Track Pro and it works like a charm.

I haven't tried yet, because I got the thing on Craigslist and it didn't have one with it. Is there a site I can get power adapters cheap with the proper power rating? It's an Axiom 49, if that matters.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
I'm using Live 8 Suite on a Macbook Pro, and I think I broke it - I accidentally set live to search for custom VSTs in my applications folder, Live crashed immediately, and I can't start it back up (it crashes during the "scanning for Custom VSTs" process).

Is there a way to access live's preferences without actually starting the program up, or some other way to fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated, got a lot of recording to do tomorrow.

edit - never mind, I managed to fix it by taking everything out of my applications folder and restarting. Phew.

HampHamp fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 13, 2010

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Is it possible to get Ableton to only warp parts of tracks, rather than entire tracks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Xovaan posted:

I haven't tried yet, because I got the thing on Craigslist and it didn't have one with it. Is there a site I can get power adapters cheap with the proper power rating? It's an Axiom 49, if that matters.

The Axiom manual says it uses a 12v 250-300mA center positive power supply, you could probably find one at Radio Shack.