Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Aeka 2.0 posted:

what body are you using?
You can check that yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wankle
Jun 22, 2004

by Ozma
Shot 4 bands last night at the Showbox SoDo in Seattle.

full sets of each (44 shots) here: http://jleblanc.smugmug.com/Concerts/Showbox-Sodo-Concert/11293433_XTxwa#792475176_GmNKb

wankle
Jun 22, 2004

by Ozma
I got this note from one of the bands I posted above:

Hey cool! Those are great!
I'm interested int he high res versions for our EPK< and maybe a few good prints of a selected few...what would you charge us for that?
Thanks for taking the cool shots!

I figure I'll ask exactly what prints they want and just mark up whatever I order from smugmug. What's a reasonable amount to charge for digital copies used in an EPK? $150?

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

Brantley Gilbert at Freebird Live. The light and no space make it horrible to shot at. Next week I have They Might Be Giants there, which'll be tough to shoot.

(insert picture here)

That's what Jimmy Buffett would look like if he wasn't a dick and let .com's shoot. Only print and I missed the sign up for that. However, for about 5 hours I walked around and shot the parrot people. I now loving hate Jimmy Buffett.

Therefore, I will share this with the world.

NWS language:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX1Nh6c80wo

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Here is my contribution. I have been shooting Music and Event photos for about four years professionally now. This specific photo is of Girl Talk at Virgin Music Fest 2007:

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Flogging Molly show the other night was awesome. What wasn't awesome was not being able to shoot it because I didn't score a press pass and "professional cameras" weren't allowed in.

Eeek posted:

(insert picture here)

That's what Jimmy Buffett would look like if he wasn't a dick and let .com's shoot. Only print and I missed the sign up for that. However, for about 5 hours I walked around and shot the parrot people. I now loving hate Jimmy Buffett.
It's not surprising they're so controlling; outside of a few good charities there are very few things he'll allow in his life that don't put money in the bank. He's an outrageously rich motherfucker - like stealth-rich, how-does-the-Margaritaville-guy-make-$100million-a-year rich.

My mom's been involved with the parrothead club for years so I hear some stories. :3:

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

jackpot posted:

Flogging Molly show the other night was awesome. What wasn't awesome was not being able to shoot it because I didn't score a press pass and "professional cameras" weren't allowed in.

That's the beauty of old film cameras.

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

We are getting Flogging Molly here. I am looking forward to it.

Breaking Benjamin. I am begining to hate my 24-70.

Breaking Benjamin

Three Days Grace

Three Days Grace. More 24-70 sadness.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand

Eeek posted:

Breaking Benjamin. I am begining to hate my 24-70.

Noooooo :gonk: I'm currently lusting after this thing. Why do you hate it?

I'll take it off your hands

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

It's a great lens, mine has a bit of a front focus issue and even after a clean/check with Canon is still doesn't always nail where I want. Don't get me wrong- it is an awesome lens, but you aren't going to just set it and shoot the same all night- you have to play with the settings an awful lot to get it to perform it's best. I know, suprise, you have to work at photography.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.
I just got my first photo-pass for a "Big" show. Between the Buried and Me (and hopefully Mastodon if they let me). The question is, given the gear I have now (Kit Lens, 50mm 1.8, Canon XSi) what is the next most important lens to buy/rent for this show? Obviously I want fast glass, but should I get a wide-angle or a fast zoom?

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

Fast zoom. 70-200 2.8 IS.

edit: I should have said why. If you rent a 16-35 2.8, that's a great lens. Or if you get a 10-22 for your 1.6 crop camera. Either way they are good. However, they are good if you get close. If you are far away, they are not very useful. That's where a 70-200 fills in. Even if you are side of stage or even in the back, you can get some good shots.

Eeek fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 26, 2010

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.

Eeek posted:

Fast zoom. 70-200 2.8 IS.

Hmm, that's probably a good idea since with the Photopass from BTBM I'll at least be inside the building with my camera gear, so I can just snap from the balcony for Mastodon and not worry about if I get a photo-pass or not.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
guessing they won't let you carry a 70-200mm in w/out a photo pass but I'd agree that that's the lens you want for bigger shows... anything with a photo pit where you might be standing back from the stage a ways or the stage is tall.

16-35 2.8 is my go-to lens for shooting events/parties in close quarters or crowds.

I've been super happy with my decision to purchase the 24 f/1.4 though, it's worked out to be a great concert lens for smaller venues.

edit: just re-read and realized you'd have an event pass just not a band pass.

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 27, 2010

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

AtomicManiac posted:

I just got my first photo-pass for a "Big" show. Between the Buried and Me (and hopefully Mastodon if they let me). The question is, given the gear I have now (Kit Lens, 50mm 1.8, Canon XSi) what is the next most important lens to buy/rent for this show? Obviously I want fast glass, but should I get a wide-angle or a fast zoom?

I'm never certain but does canon make a 35 f/1.8 for their crop cameras? thats going to be my next lens purchase.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Their cheap 35 is f/2, which is close enough.

wankle
Jun 22, 2004

by Ozma

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I'm never certain but does canon make a 35 f/1.8 for their crop cameras? thats going to be my next lens purchase.

Save a litte bit more $ and get the Sigma 30mm f/1.4. It's as good as the $1k+ 35L as long as don't need FF compat.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Just got back from shooting a benefit show for Haiti at the QVCC in Worcester, MA. A bunch of local hardcore/metalcore bands. Aside from a fight that broke out it was a pretty fun show.

I forget the name of the band but this is my favorite capture of the night so far. This is the synth player for one of the bands who screams as well. I caught him at the right moment

*edit*
Shot with my XTI with sigma 10-20mm. 430EX triggered by CTR-301ps camera left.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax
Took a few shots of the band we played with last night, Adventure, before we played. They are a fun band to watch however the lighting at the venue is god awful. It's a great place to play and run by a great staff I just wish there was something we could do about the lighting because it does photograph well at all.

As always clicking links to flickr

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Black Box Revelations

General Fiasco

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I love the 85mm 1.8.

(my host)

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Did a Sidewave last Week, RBF + The Aquabats + The Creepshow. Not my greatest work (RBF and The Aquabats are hard to shoot), but gently caress, so much fun. Hooray! Hooray!

Mic faces!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Mic Faces they may be (and I *hate* that) but number 2 really works even with that.

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

They Might Be (a) Giants (distance from me.) My editor wanted more people pictures which means I have no time to wait for a good spot up front.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Raise camera in the air over the crowd, lay into shutter with a -1 exposure, flash to compensate. There you go, a whole bunch of people.

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

Hee, I do that a lot. She hates it. Ha!

That's right- the mother loving Moody Blues.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Whoever first told the black and white trick, thanks!

I need help with the exposure on this one, though:

Already Bored
Mar 5, 2004
I HAVE HIGHER ETHICAL AND MORALE VALUES. DID I MENTION I LIKE COCK
Just spent the last week on tour with a music festival featuring the likes of Basement Jaxx, Busta Rhymes, Naughty by Nature, Salt-N-Pepa, Kid Cudi, The Gossip, Gym Class Heroes and a lot more. The first week was 16-18 hour days shooting, the second week was 16-18 hour days editing.

Our brief was to hang out backstage / on stage with the artists, documenting them and their performances as well as the random moments inbetween the festivals, at the social events and such. Basically creating a tour diary that lets people see the "behind the scenes" side of the festival.

If you have any questions about equipment, strategy, dealing with artists, etc. let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.

Some examples:

Kid Cudi

Art vs Science

The Gossip

Naughty by Nature

Busta Rhymes

Basement Jaxx

Nathan from The Gossip

Ken or Kevin from Basement Jaxx

Gym Class Heroes

Vula from Basement Jaxx

Tretch from Naughty by Nature

The Gossip

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Jesus you've got some primo stuff in this lot. Good job!

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.
Really amazing stuff.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Eeek posted:

Hee, I do that a lot. She hates it. Ha!

That's right- the mother loving Moody Blues.

Haha, they're staying at the hotel my girlfriend works for right now.

Man, I just realized I haven't shot a show in forgoddamnever. I need to see who the hell is coming this way.

Edit: Oh poo poo, Unearth is coming, I need to get on that. And it's on St. Patty's day, that is going to be interesting. They already drink their asses off, I'm curious to see how this goes.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 8, 2010

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
A selection of my favs from the Jim Beam Homegrown 2010 festival in Wellington, New Zealand. Sorry if it's too many :]

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Already Bored posted:

Just spent the last week on tour with a music festival featuring the likes of Basement Jaxx, Busta Rhymes, Naughty by Nature, Salt-N-Pepa, Kid Cudi, The Gossip, Gym Class Heroes and a lot more. The first week was 16-18 hour days shooting, the second week was 16-18 hour days editing.

Our brief was to hang out backstage / on stage with the artists, documenting them and their performances as well as the random moments inbetween the festivals, at the social events and such. Basically creating a tour diary that lets people see the "behind the scenes" side of the festival.

If you have any questions about equipment, strategy, dealing with artists, etc. let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.

Hells yes Good Vibes. Looked like a great lineup, but I spent my day watching Janes Addiction and Faith No More, so I'm not too chuffed about missing it.

A question though; how the hell does one get work like this? Are you shooting for a publication, or for the promoters? What did you need to submit, and who?

And if by any chance you're in Brisbane/GC, need an assisstant?

Already Bored
Mar 5, 2004

I, Butthole posted:

Hells yes Good Vibes. Looked like a great lineup, but I spent my day watching Janes Addiction and Faith No More, so I'm not too chuffed about missing it.

A question though; how the hell does one get work like this? Are you shooting for a publication, or for the promoters? What did you need to submit, and who?

And if by any chance you're in Brisbane/GC, need an assisstant?

The promoters are the ones who hire us.

We first shot the festival in 2007 with traditional media access and the photos were strong enough to get us the gig shooting AAA in Sydney in 2008. The last two years we've been hired to tour with the festival.

We keep proving ourselves based on the strength of the images we produce. If they weren't happy with them then we wouldn't be hired.

We needed to submit low and high res images across all festival dates, sideshows and social activities.

The brief is to create a "tour diary" featuring images that the festival goers wouldn't usually get to see - backstage, on the stage, candid shots of the artists hanging out etc. to allow them to engage with the festival on another level.

We're based in Sydney, unfortunately :)

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cyberbob posted:

A selection of my favs from the Jim Beam Homegrown 2010 festival in Wellington, New Zealand. Sorry if it's too many :]

All hail Toogood. Bow down before Toogood.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

Already Bored posted:

We're based in Sydney, unfortunately :)

If you need someone from Melbourne, let me know :]
I've just moved here from NZ, and there seems to be a great lack of local opportunities.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Already Bored posted:

Nice shots, saw your tweet about getting kickstarter funding and still thinking hard about it.

I got a ton of questions, I hope you don't mind:
How many people are on your crew and how do you coordinate shots and post processing between everyone?
Do you get paid a flat fee for the whole event?
Do you mind sharing how you invoiced the promoters (not specific numbers, but how you categorized your labor/creative fee/expenses)?
Did the promoters give you any specific restrictions or strange requests from the artists?
Was all your work still images or did you also have requirements to capture video?
What about writing, were you expected to keep a written blurb of the events surrounding the photos?

Already Bored
Mar 5, 2004

Cyberbob posted:

If you need someone from Melbourne, let me know :]
I've just moved here from NZ, and there seems to be a great lack of local opportunities.

Can you PM me with a link to your portfolio? :)

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Nice shots, saw your tweet about getting kickstarter funding and still thinking hard about it.

I got a ton of questions, I hope you don't mind:
How many people are on your crew and how do you coordinate shots and post processing between everyone?
Do you get paid a flat fee for the whole event?
Do you mind sharing how you invoiced the promoters (not specific numbers, but how you categorized your labor/creative fee/expenses)?
Did the promoters give you any specific restrictions or strange requests from the artists?
Was all your work still images or did you also have requirements to capture video?
What about writing, were you expected to keep a written blurb of the events surrounding the photos?

1) We have around 10 photographers based in Australia, Paris and NYC with a few more that we bring on board when the job requires it. Everyone handles their own shooting and post work. For something like RAFW where the budget and brief justify multiple people on a job, we'll have one person assisting the photographer and another handling all card dumping, editing and post simultaneously.

2) Each event is different. Larger events that span across multiple days will usually have a budget attached that we negotiate with the client. Smaller events are per hour and include fees for delivery, turnaround etc.

3) For this particular project it was an overall budget that we negotiated with them. There was no breaking it down into hours/day fees/etc. If you read between the lines I'm sure you'll figure out why ;)

4) We're pretty lucky when it comes to restrictions but we're always told about which artists we need to be careful with. Some artists are really approachable and easy to engage with. Others you don't look at without speaking to their management first for approval. There were no real requests, however. Although we did photograph one of the guys from Gym Class Heroes proposing to his girlfriend on the harbour cruise, which is pretty cool.

5) Stills only. We're hoping to shoot video next year.

6) No writing. We like the idea of having a tour diary that we write in real time, throughout the week but the budget doesn't justify something like that, unfortunately. I think it could be a great marketing tool. Maybe next year :)

Edit: Thanks for considering support the Nippples thing. Doesn't look like it's going to meet it's target unfortunately, but I'm still going. It's going to be awesome.

Already Bored fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 9, 2010

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Already Bored posted:

stuff

Australia, Paris and NYC...Hobo Gestapo? That's pretty cool if I'm right :)

Do you guys have anyone up in Brisbane at the moment? I'm looking at doing event photography, right now I'm shooting through FasterLouder, but I'd kill to do some more portraiture and such rather than just concerts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

Already Bored posted:

Can you PM me with a link to your portfolio? :)

Lack of plat :(

So far on flickr:

The Artists

The Crowds

Slowly building it up..