Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sensual benny
Aug 18, 2008

Dire Penguin posted:

But Oberstein also causes millions of deaths to achieve his goals, just like Yang and Reinhardt?

I'm not saying Oberstein's hands are clean or anything. All I mean is that he acknowledges the horrible waste that battling things out in "good, honourable combat" really causes and how stupid and hypocritical it is. He tries to find ways of winning without fighting, and consequently he's always on the side of plans that have a much lower cost in human life. He's probably the most hated character on the show (by both other characters and by most of the audience), and it's easy to see why, since he's advocated genocide, Yang's assassination (his attempt failed, though it led to Yang being put in a position where Rubinsky's attempt could succeed), slaughter of POWs, and other horrible and dishonourable acts. But his motivation for these plans always comes from a strictly utilitarian perspective of trying to save as many lives as possible, and for that reason I can't help myself from liking him. Reinhard himself says that though he dislikes him personally, "[His] arguments are so right they leave no room for discussion." I think all this makes him at the very least a really interesting character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sensual benny
Aug 18, 2008

Zorak posted:

Reinhard would rather beat armies against each other for long as possible so long as it results in his glorious victory.

On repeat viewings Reinhard loses a lot of his glorious lustre in the later seasons with this attitude of his. A scene that sums up his complete lack of respect for the human dignity of his soldiers is the unveiling of his ridiculous plan where he pours wine over a bunch of sheets of paper to demonstrate that throwing wave after wave of men at Yang will eventually result in a still-dry sheet underneath the soaked and ruined ones.

I still find Reinhard a sympathetic character and don't at all find it a failing of the show, he's just understandably lost touch with the feelings and passions that inspired him to acheive all he's acheived and arguably become little better than his predecessors, at least in war.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

sensual benny posted:

On repeat viewings Reinhard loses a lot of his glorious lustre in the later seasons with this attitude of his. A scene that sums up his complete lack of respect for the human dignity of his soldiers is the unveiling of his ridiculous plan where he pours wine over a bunch of sheets of paper to demonstrate that throwing wave after wave of men at Yang will eventually result in a still-dry sheet underneath the soaked and ruined ones.

I still find Reinhard a sympathetic character and don't at all find it a failing of the show, he's just understandably lost touch with the feelings and passions that inspired him to acheive all he's acheived and arguably become little better than his predecessors, at least in war.

You have to keep in mind with Reinhard that different people and cultures have different priorities. Quite a few of Reinhard soldiers are GLAD to sacrifice their lives for him; they see him as some sort of God incarnate. Reinhard risks his own life often in battle, and thus his men respect him since he's as willing and at as much of a risk to die as them.

However, of course, as time goes on his men don't WANT him risking his life, so you get stuff like the sheet thing.

Dire Penguin
Jun 17, 2006

Yeah, I already agree with you guys on Oberstein, I'd just forgotten that sometimes Reinhardt's motivations weren't always so pure. I think that both he and Yang ultimately wanted what was best (in their differing opinions) for their respective nations, but each had internal doubts and struggles that complicated things as they tried to achieve them.

sensual benny
Aug 18, 2008

Zorak posted:

You have to keep in mind with Reinhard that different people and cultures have different priorities. Quite a few of Reinhard soldiers are GLAD to sacrifice their lives for him; they see him as some sort of God incarnate. Reinhard risks his own life often in battle, and thus his men respect him since he's as willing and at as much of a risk to die as them.

However, of course, as time goes on his men don't WANT him risking his life, so you get stuff like the sheet thing.
Be that as it may, battleplans don't take into account each soldier's personal feelings. I don't doubt that many of Reinhard's soldiers are more than willing to sacrifice themselves for him, but there are also bound to be large numbers of them who only want to give their lives in a meaningful battle, and many others who don't know or care much about politics at all. A commander needs to respect the lives of his subordinates, even (in fact, especially) if they are ready and willing to give them.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."
Oberstein was probably my favorite character in LoTGH, and I am happy to see alot of other people here like him.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Oberstein was probably my favorite character in LoTGH, and I am happy to see alot of other people here like him.
Yeah he's my favorite as well, with Reinhard being a close second.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Tzen posted:

Yeah he's my favorite as well, with Reinhard being a close second.

Walter von Schenkopp is my close second. :zoro:

Dire Penguin
Jun 17, 2006

Even though he's a filthy fascist I can't help but love Reuental. Norio Wakamoto... :swoon:

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.
The Oberstein haters need to stop hanging out with Bittenfeld.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Zorak posted:

I like oberstein for being an enigma. He's a cool cat but made to look bad at almost everything he does because it is really counter-culture. I call him the space douche, but aside from heinessen he does things right.

As for reinhard and his amazing strategy (which didn't even work), I think that really went to show what sort of tactics he found suitable in a world without kirchiess. There is no way in hell red would have let reinhard go ahead with that plan if he were alive. I think with kirchiess alive reinhard would have survived longer, simply by merit of the campaigns being fought by kirchiess, and all that stress not being on reinhard.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 4, 2010

sensual benny
Aug 18, 2008
Kircheis's importance to Reinhard is explored beautifully in the Gaiden series, I think. There's a great line about how he needs to stay with Reinhard so that there will "always be something between Reinhard and his surroundings".

There's no doubt about the fact that Kircheis was absolutely essential to Reinhard. Everything would have happened differently had he survived, and it's almost certain that a lot more people would have lived. It's not just a matter of stress -- without his only friend Reinhard loses himself and begins to forget the reason he started fighting in the first place. Worse still, on his deathbed Kircheis tells Reinhard that he must win the galaxy, and those words become an inescapable chain for him. He must fight on alone until the universe is unified, blind to all else.

The Lohengramm administration could probably never make peace with Job Trunicht's government, but they could and probably would with Yang's party if they ever wound up becoming an independant force again. On the other hand, maybe with Kircheis's help the Empire would have simply crushed the Alliance and none could dare oppose them -- that said, I think Kircheis would be open to hearing Yang's proposals of constitutionalism, just as Hilda is probably open to hearing Julian's (because she's a smart enough lass to realize that heriditary rule doesn't work or make sense).

The story would be a lot less tragic, but probably also less interesting :P

sensual benny fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 4, 2010

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

sensual benny posted:

The story would be a lot less tragic, but probably also less interesting :P

Oh, certainly. I'm merely saying that it's somewhat obvious that the whole thing would have gone much more bloodlessly and succesfully had kirchies lived. It's interesting to think about, but in terms of the series it's certainly better that he died.

My girlfriend has been worrying about what will happen ever since he croaked and I'm looking forward to her seeing just how it plays out :P

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 4, 2010

Grenadier
Oct 15, 2004

As long as these commoners keep coming, the mountain of corpses will keep growing!

Dire Penguin posted:

Even though he's a filthy fascist I can't help but love Reuental. Norio Wakamoto... :swoon:
Personally I thought the finale of Reuental's arc was the most affecting and humanizing moment in the starry collection of affecting moments that is the latter half of LoGH.

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH
damnglitch don't spoil who dies without spoilers!

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Kweh posted:

damnglitch don't spoil who dies without spoilers!

I changed it, but really it's the end of the thread and as much as I want people to watch LoGH and not be turned off I think it's kind of ridiculous to spoiler out things on a 2 year old series, 38 pages in no less.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Some of us like to post about it before we've finished all 110 episodes :ssh: I know I'd be pretty pissed if any of the big deaths got spoiled for me, and I always thought the unwritten rule here was to spoil major events in a series once it's been over for a while for the people who didn't watch as it aired.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Especially in a thread, you know, for getting new blood to watch.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Especially in a thread, you know, for getting new blood to watch.

Yeah but the thread is 6 years old and there's new material coming out.

But whatever mans, black boxes for all

Unmistakeable Fire
Oct 1, 2006
You really would do a credit to the people who haven't seen the show if you could hide your spoilers as much as possible. Even though the thread and show are old, the level of exposure to it is small enough that they will only be aware of very little information on it, so they will be tempted to check on this thread. At least we don't have the horrible trolling of the Song of Ice and Fire thread, where the rage and pain over lack of a new book has resulted in massive and casual spoiling.

Best anime ever made.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

DamnGlitch posted:

I like oberstein for being an enigma. He's a cool cat but made to look bad at almost everything he does because it is really counter-culture. I call him the space douche, but aside from heinessen he does things right.

As for reinhard and his amazing strategy (which didn't even work), I think that really went to show what sort of tactics he found suitable in a world without kirchiess. There is no way in hell red would have let reinhard go ahead with that plan if he were alive. I think with kirchiess alive reinhard would have survived longer, simply by merit of the campaigns being fought by kirchiess, and all that stress not being on reinhard.

Here's an interesting question:

If Kircheis had lived, would Reinhard have been as successful? If Kircheis had moderated him so much, might he have even lost to the Alliance before he could conquer them, especially if he didn't even conquer them?

Eronarn
May 15, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Astroman posted:

If Kircheis had lived, would Reinhard have been as successful? If Kircheis had moderated him so much, might he have even lost to the Alliance before he could conquer them, especially if he didn't even conquer them?

No way. The Alliance had way too many domestic problems for this to be a serious possibility. There might've been a much more protracted war, but the Alliance was more or less doomed as long as the Empire was doing something effective (even if it did it more slowly). You would have to take Reinhard out of the picture entirely for this to be plausible.

Unmistakeable Fire
Oct 1, 2006

Astroman posted:

Regarding that question: He is a kickass general in his own regard, seeing as how he put the beatdown on the toga people, as well as many of Braunschwieg's people if i remember correctly? I am sure the Gaidens reveal him doing more kickass things as I know he does in Golden Wings. Remember that he is the person in question that told Reinhard to win the universe. Just because he is a bit of a softy when it comes to Reinhard and Annerose, doesn't mean he went easy on the Alliance. Him being there would probably have made the conquest be even easier, since Reinhard would almost certainly have made him the Viceroy in place of Reuntal, and you would have had him be much less abrasive and less likely to be screwed by Oberstein. In that scenario at the very least he would probably have died protecting Reinhard from Yang's point blank firing. I imagine everyone would be happier given that Imperial fleet Commander and overseer of alliance space would be easily high enough of a position to let him marry Annerose which would in turn give Reinhard much better mental health (assuming he didnt go all Tony Montana on him)

Unmistakeable Fire fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 8, 2010

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Astroman posted:

No they would have never ever EVER lost. The only thing I can think of is that maybe, just maybe the terrans might have put up a bigger fuss trying to assassinate reinhard early on if kirchis was still alive, but there is no way the alliance was ever going to 'win'. On the OTHER hand, with K still around it's very possible that the empiure would not have expanded to engulf the entire galaxy, and rather established diplomatic relations and a cease fire. SO in that sense the alliance doesn't become bunk, and the empire doesn't conquer the galaxy, but they really haven't won, just not been wiped out.

Also, there would have been in general many less strategically useless battles such as geiersburg v. iserlohn, or at very least have successfully taken out iserlohn. If the (awesome looking but pointless) station v station battle hadn't taken place, it would have left among other things another space station laying around for when the alliance was holed up in there with no real way to get in besides a battle of attrition, and could have been used to destroy the last seed of democracy

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 9, 2010

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

In episode 10 where Jessica Edwards wins the election, what exactly was it an election for? It doesn't seem that they bothered to explain that little detail.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Conduit for Sale! posted:

In episode 10 where Jessica Edwards wins the election, what exactly was it an election for? It doesn't seem that they bothered to explain that little detail.

It's a legislative position, as I believe they point out. She becomes a Representative.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.
I always loved that part early on.

Yang: You need to call the PKC off of Jessica Edwards

Truniht: Call them off? Those guys are just some rogue group!

Yang: Seriously. Call them off.

Truniht: Fine, whatever.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Been watching for 3 years on and off now; I used to do two-three episodes a week, until I started watching The Wire and other stuff...

Now especially though...I can't bring myself to finish it, Reuental and "Gale Wolf" are about to clash, and I'm finding the whole situation absolutely redundant: especially Reuental's obvious fate in this situation. I dunno, maybe I'll be surprised...

Seems like the opening theme/closing theme basically sum up these last couple of episodes anyway. Am I right? Does the show become predictable from Episode 95 to the end? Help me out guys.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

MoaM posted:

Been watching for 3 years on and off now; I used to do two-three episodes a week, until I started watching The Wire and other stuff...

Now especially though...I can't bring myself to finish it, Reuental and "Gale Wolf" are about to clash, and I'm finding the whole situation absolutely redundant: especially Reuental's obvious fate in this situation. I dunno, maybe I'll be surprised...

Seems like the opening theme/closing theme basically sum up these last couple of episodes anyway. Am I right? Does the show become predictable from Episode 95 to the end? Help me out guys.

Ahahaha, noooooooo wayyyyyyyyy. Besides, even if some events are telegraphed, the details of them aren't, and generally speaking, the worth of a story isn't in how it surprises you, but in the execution of how that story is told.

Unmistakeable Fire
Oct 1, 2006
You know how the Germans always make good stuff? I was clickin around on TT the other day and I saw that someone was subbing the Blu Ray rips. I hurriedly downloaded it, praying that Central Anime had released their scripts to someone else. Then I was watching it and it turns out that it was actually a German group subbing it into it's native language . How come we don't get to have nice things like they will :(
(EDIT: By native language I mean german :v: )

Also looking at the Blu Ray versions its amazing how good looking the show can look. While watching it the first time around the animation just looked passable to me but it looks very crisp and nice. The only problem that I see consistently in them is that for some reason the mouth movements seem to clash with the dubbing in a strange way. I don't know quite what is producing that effect, maybe I just didn't notice it before because I was busy reading the subtitles? Here's to hoping that someone will dedicate themselves to subbing the Blu Ray versions in English eventually.

Unmistakeable Fire fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 10, 2010

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Unmistakeable Fire posted:

You know how the Germans always make good stuff? I was clickin around on TT the other day and I saw that someone was subbing the Blu Ray rips. I hurriedly downloaded it, praying that Central Anime had released their scripts to someone else. Then I was watching it and it turns out that it was actually a German group subbing it into it's native language. How come we don't get to have nice things like they will :(

:aaa: Oh snap! Give me the link, will you? It might finally push me to watch the series. The biggest distraction was the VHS quality.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

HenryEx posted:

:aaa: Oh snap! Give me the link, will you? It might finally push me to watch the series. The biggest distraction was the VHS quality.
Not only are there DVD rips for basically the whole first season, but rest of the episodes are honestly fine in terms of quality. Are they even from VHS? I would suspect CA used laserdiscs or something.

Unmistakeable Fire
Oct 1, 2006

HenryEx posted:

Er are you German? If so here is a link to the first episode
http://ani-tsuzuki.net:6969/torrents/35bcf8b57377a1a359e68103a78df6db7bb51638.torrent

Here is the raw
http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=114461

Also Nate RFB is correct, a batch torrent of the english subbed first season DVD versions should be coming out soon. The ones that everyone has seen were laserdisc rips. They don't look terrible but people should take a look at the blu ray's just to see the difference.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
^^^
Thanks, man! Will check it out.

Nate RFB posted:

Not only are there DVD rips for basically the whole first season, but rest of the episodes are honestly fine in terms of quality. Are they even from VHS? I would suspect CA used laserdiscs or something.

This would be a viable excuse if it didn't take me two weeks to download one DVD episode from a single seeder. Interest kinda wanes in between waiting periods if you aren't already hooked beyond help.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

dtshyk on MAL posted:

According to Theater Guide news, a stage play of Tanaka Yoshiki's novel Legend of Galactic Heroes was announced to be performed in January 2011. The details of the play will be given on the official website of the project (under construction) on April 10th.

It's unknown how the large scale space fleet battles will be handled on stage.

Source: Theater Guide
I know no one here will ever get to see it but it sounds neat.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The BD release is an upscale, so it's not that much better than the DVD except for movie 1.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
In a just world, somebody competent would downscale the BD rips of the TV series to 480p, as it does look better than the DVD versions in some ways (primarily less yellow, also no risk of lolMPEG-2 artifacts) but is absolutely not worth the bandwidth of HD releases. Unfortunately, this is not a just world, so we're basically stuck with CA's terribly encoded DVD releases as the peak.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

AzraelNewtype posted:

In a just world, somebody competent would downscale the BD rips of the TV series to 480p, as it does look better than the DVD versions in some ways (primarily less yellow, also no risk of lolMPEG-2 artifacts) but is absolutely not worth the bandwidth of HD releases. Unfortunately, this is not a just world, so we're basically stuck with CA's terribly encoded DVD releases as the peak.

Keep in mind that you only need to encode 3/4th of a usual widescreen 720p in LoGH's case. Combine that with a lot of pretty static frames and not a lot of action as a whole, and you can get the filesize pretty low with modern and competent encoding.
That German fansub x264 encode of 720p Episode 1 is 160 megs, including audio.

Granted, they're not competent, though. Why must all German fansub group suck so much. :argh:
lolwarpsharp, wrong levels, badly encoded and, well, the subs suck, too. MKV is for soft subs, you fucks! Still looking better than the DVD release, though.

Anyway, you could probably get a 720p encode somewhere near 200 mb while still looking good, and that is still so much better than a 360 mb DVD encode.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Welp, serious anime is dead to me. This series played out like an epic of old and had so much to back it up as well, such a shame nothing else seems to come close. That goes for all of TV and most movies too, the lowest common denominator is killing entertainment. If this were ever dubbed (or the novels translated?) I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anybody.

The only complaints I have are things that don't make sense in this future world except to advance the plot. I can accept the relatively crude means of warfare because it made the show intriguing, but my main gripe is this: They have all this advanced technology, but there's still mysterious diseases they can neither recognize nor treat? It would have made more sense in the setting to have had someone be poisoning him slowly as part of the Terraist conspiracy, it was just so unsatisfying to see how it ended like that.

I don't know, I'm not good with words so have these pictures Zorak posted a few months ago:

And I'm sure it's been asked several times already but I couldn't find it at a quick glance and it's not in the OP: What order do the various gaidens and movies go in and which are or aren't subbed yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Swilo posted:

but my main gripe is this: They have all this advanced technology, but there's still mysterious diseases they can neither recognize nor treat? It would have made more sense in the setting to have had someone be poisoning him slowly as part of the Terraist conspiracy, it was just so unsatisfying to see how it ended like that.

There is a thematic reason for this if you didn't catch on. For all of man's science, for all it's greatness, it's impossible for men to control all of the things in the universe, to know all that there is to know. The Great Kaiser, who conquers the universe, is ultimately lain low and defeated by a a random genetic abnormality. Such things happen. They're not always curable. The great aren't gods. It's said that roman generals would often keep a servant to follow behind them during triumphant parades and whisper in their ears "Respice post te! Hominem te memento!", or, "Look behind you! Remember that you are but a man!"

Furthermore, the science in LOGH is certainly advanced, but it's advanced in certain directions; prosthetic limbs exist, some level of cyberization technology exists, but medical science certainly hasn't been the focus for millenia; technology has to a certain degree stagnated. Rather than concentrating energy into trying to learn stuff about the universe, they focused it entirely on killing each other.

To have it be a terraist conspiracy would avoid that entire GREAT thematic point. It's an extremely poignantly done point, as executed, and quite well executed. It's a downer to be sure, it's supposed to be. Men are in a constantly struggle against their world, but for as great we rage against it, we are ultimately always subject to it, and subject to ourselves. The entire last episode was meant to be in general melancholic and, in some ways, subtly depressing. The future is hopeful, but at the same time, the passage of time means the death of men.

Hell, the very last bits of dialogue in the series are practically heartbreaking. Felix grasping for the stars and Mittermeyer going "You too, Felix?" (with the narrator afterward to round it out) is both joyful on one hand but so bitterly sad. It's human nature to go after the things it can't have, but this series itself is basically an encasement of all of what that means.