Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech_1.1_RC
Jul 22, 2003

2ndclasscitizen posted:

That green Corolla(?) with the speedway spoiler is amazing.

It's an E30 with a small block Ford, the 302i :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Contraband posted:

I loving love Lemons.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

DropShadow posted:

So they think it was malicious?

They think he was trying to block the pass, ie overly aggressive driving.

Apparently Jay banned the whole team. The team captain(only one without black flags) can drive on another team if he isn't captain and it isn't this maxima.

edit: point of interest, that is basically a mirror image of the wreck that killed dale earnhardt.

oxbrain fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 8, 2010

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
How frequent are black flags?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Ziploc posted:

Don't they hand out hundreds per event?

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Ziploc posted:

At thunderhill they were very common, 571 flags over ~150 cars. Only one team had none, most had one, I got three*, I think some teams were over 10. The maxima team was near the top of the list.

*In my defense, I'm stupid and a bad driver.

galliumscan
Dec 25, 2006

Dammit, Jim, I'm an engineer, not a doctor! No, wait...
He unbelted and dropped onto his head. Couldn't have helped.

A common error when upside down. I've even seen upside down drivers, with their hands hanging above their heads, wave around looking for the harness release. They finally realize where it *really* is, then *still* drop themselves on their heads.

Brain overrides gravity vector nearly always, at least the first time.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

oxbrain posted:

edit: point of interest, that is basically a mirror image of the wreck that killed dale earnhardt.

I thought the same, he would have benefited from a Hans or Hutchens device.

Blocko
Jul 12, 2008

Spoiler alert: Blood Ravens are actually Hiigarans who got sucked into the warp, were sent back in time to fight in WWII against the Panzer Elite, then stole a nazi time machine to go into the future and save mankind from an army of Lobster-Elephants and other impossible creatures.

Rated R.

Toucan Sam posted:

I thought it was required to have a HANS device in lemons?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Blocko posted:

I thought it was required to have a HANS device in lemons?

HANS or neck roll. It's kinda crazy to expect every driver to drop $1,500 on a HANS device plus a HANS compatible helmet.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Contraband posted:

AI incarnate.

oxbrain posted:

At thunderhill they were very common, 571 flags over ~150 cars. Only one team had none, most had one, I got three*, I think some teams were over 10. The maxima team was near the top of the list.

*In my defense, I'm stupid and a bad driver.

Are they all driving flags? Or tech flags as well?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Toucan Sam posted:

HANS would have done jack poo poo with a drop on the head.

quote:

HANS or neck roll. It's kinda crazy to expect every driver to drop $1,500 on a HANS device plus a HANS compatible helmet.

Plus to get the actual benefit out of HANS, the right harness and seats as well. On cars that cant really get much pace going, it's kinda overkill with the very low chance it will actually be needed.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Cat Terrist posted:

HANS would have done jack poo poo with a drop on the head.

It wasn't the drop that did it according to one of his teammates. The doctor reviewed the video and said it was the initial collision head on into the wall.

quote:

Plus to get the actual benefit out of HANS, the right harness and seats as well. On cars that cant really get much pace going, it's kinda overkill with the very low chance it will actually be needed.

I've owned my house for 12 years and been alive for 35. I've never had a house fire but i still make sure i have working smoke detectors. Are you saying since i never actually experienced a fire i shouldn't worry or prepare for the chance of one?

Toucan Sam fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 10, 2010

fishmech_1.1_RC
Jul 22, 2003

Cat Terrist posted:

On cars that cant really get much pace going, it's kinda overkill with the very low chance it will actually be needed.

I don't think it's as much to do with the speed of the accident as it is with the frequency of the accidents. LeMons isn't full of people who don't know how to drive - it's full of people who think they know how to drive but don't.

Which is way worse.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

galliumscan posted:

He unbelted and dropped onto his head. Couldn't have helped.

A common error when upside down. I've even seen upside down drivers, with their hands hanging above their heads, wave around looking for the harness release. They finally realize where it *really* is, then *still* drop themselves on their heads.

Brain overrides gravity vector nearly always, at least the first time.

He dropped like an inch, I think he made a quick and smart exit from the car considering the intensity of the crash. There was no delay, he stopped sliding and immediatly went for the harness release, then crawled quickly out the window.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Some brown wetsuits here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkFk_eTJo5o

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Toucan Sam posted:

I've owned my house for 12 years and been alive for 35. I've never had a house fire but i still make sure i have working smoke detectors. Are you saying since i never actually experienced a fire i shouldn't worry or prepare for the chance of one?

And a meteor might hit me on the way to a meeting tonight. Do I look worried?

No, HANS is not required. It's even a fat lump of wasted money for specific and rare crashes that at low speed just isn't going to happen. On the other hand, the video showed a turd of a cage that would never pass scrutineering in it's wildest dreams here - the guy was even more lucky that thing didn't keep rolling, the cage would have collapsed. A cage helps in ALL crashes. gently caress spending on HANS, I'll dump every single cent on the cage and be safe in a far bigger variety of crashes.

Especially in reference to Contraband's point. Cage up. Put in the best seat. Decent harness and maybe a head donut.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
The problem was the wall impact, which a hans would have buffered. The car was traveling at a very high rate of speed. It didn't keep rolling, which several Lemons cars have done without ill effects. Just because those cars are mainly shitbox racers doesn't mean they don't have violent collisions. Ever see Dale Earnhardt crash? He has a cage bar named after him and he still managed to die even with a state of the art cage and a head donut.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Some brown wetsuits here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkFk_eTJo5o

Hahahah listen to the bogan at 0:44 in the background.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Toucan Sam posted:

The problem was the wall impact, which a hans would have buffered. The car was traveling at a very high rate of speed. It didn't keep rolling, which several Lemons cars have done without ill effects. Just because those cars are mainly shitbox racers doesn't mean they don't have violent collisions. Ever see Dale Earnhardt crash? He has a cage bar named after him and he still managed to die even with a state of the art cage and a head donut.

Despite squeals to the contrary, I'm pretty sure the "failed" (definatly loose) safety belt had a lot more to do with his death and given the other load of bones he broke, that's a safe assumption. And with HANS REQUIRING a compatible harness to work, a failure of a harness would then be possibly worse.

HANS moreover has it's own set of problems in a crash, that are also shared with a harness - the pressure on the ribs is greatly enhanced and leads to in the case of Paul Radisich in Australia, a badly broken sternum and ribs in an overwise injury free crash. And also in a head on belt into a wall, the brain is stopped suddenly, like all the other organs are. With a Leatt device, the head is slowed before stopping, not jerked to a stop when it gets to the end of the tethers as in HANS.

HANS is not the safety angel it's made out to be and as I stated before, I'd rather see the money put to real primary safety first. Especially when I see an obviously crap cage.

And rewatching the video in question, the roof hit his head when the cage deformed. That's not exactly good.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Toucan Sam posted:

Ever see Dale Earnhardt crash? He has a cage bar named after him and he still managed to die even with a state of the art cage and a head donut.

The fucker loosened his belts so he could look around in order to block so the team he owned could finish 1-2, it's literally the worst kept secret in NASCAR. Nothing would have kept him alive in that instance.

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets

-Spiffy- posted:

Hahahah listen to the bogan at 0:44 in the background.

I just listened and the sound drops to silence there. Did they edit it out? What was it?

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

quadpus posted:

I just listened and the sound drops to silence there. Did they edit it out? What was it?

Its just before it cuts out and he's cheering "Whoo! Yeah, thats the poo poo!"

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDdsB7aZ-bo&feature=channel

He wants $3200.

If I had the money I would be at his door with the asking price and a hug in a heartbeat :smith:

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Cat Terrist posted:

HANS is not the safety angel it's made out to be and as I stated before, I'd rather see the money put to real primary safety first. Especially when I see an obviously crap cage.

I definitely agree with that, especially considering you are involved in what i consider the most dangerous form of motorsports. I've never seen a wreck harder than i see in rally racing and you guys walk away for the most part.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon
Audi RS5 testing on the 'ring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyQYg_euZrA

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Out of curiosity, is there a correct technique for releasing your harness while upside down?

Sirveaux
Aug 26, 2004
<=>
This will have to go without description because I don't want to ruin the suprise:

http://www.kladblog.com/embed_flv.asp?id=media.kladblog.com/media/201003/fietser.flv

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
So between this and AI images were posting death on film now?

Sirveaux
Aug 26, 2004
<=>
Well. It is pretty insane, and there's a car involved...

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I love this one, I just wish there were more context, like: Was it on purpose? What was the aftermath?

http://www.break.com/index/crazy-driver-jumps-over-roundabout.html

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

XK posted:

I love this one, I just wish there were more context, like: Was it on purpose? What was the aftermath?

I can't imagine anyone would do that on purpose without the car being a really REALLY serious rally machine or a total falling apart pile of junk, and it didn't really seem like either from what little you could see of it.

That being the case, I can't imagine the aftermath was anything other than carnage.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Sirveaux posted:

This will have to go without description because I don't want to ruin the suprise:

http://www.kladblog.com/embed_flv.asp?id=media.kladblog.com/media/201003/fietser.flv

gently caress off. That's not awesome you twat

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Sirveaux posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Boat posted:

I can't imagine anyone would do that on purpose without the car being a really REALLY serious rally machine or a total falling apart pile of junk, and it didn't really seem like either from what little you could see of it.

That being the case, I can't imagine the aftermath was anything other than carnage.

Could've been a stolen car on a joyride.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

XK posted:

Could've been a stolen car on a joyride.

or a drunk

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Ola posted:

Out of curiosity, is there a correct technique for releasing your harness while upside down?

My biggest issue with that is that he was in the middle of the track and he undid his harness and jumped out right away.

I'd like to think I would have at least tried to wait until someone came and helped me out, at least to be sure that the track was clear and no car was going to come around and smoke me.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I will literally do a lot for this car.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U49oU7B-W84&feature=related
And to pull up to the lights in this would be fantastic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hNJgsy14Rw&feature=related

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

D C posted:

My biggest issue with that is that he was in the middle of the track and he undid his harness and jumped out right away.

I'd like to think I would have at least tried to wait until someone came and helped me out, at least to be sure that the track was clear and no car was going to come around and smoke me.
His car was on fire. Whether or not he knew that, he made the right decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pacheco
May 2, 2005

Always bet on Duke.

XK posted:

How does this happen? It didn't seem like the brown car was swerving, so why didn't he just move out of the way?