Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

ManifoldCuriosity posted:

Oddly enough though (with respect to those Richmond guys), I've been listening to Pygmy Lush a lot lately. Good for my usual folk binges, but their more hardcore stuff is still god. Liking their split with Turboslut.

Yesss, their first LP rules. How's Mount Hope? Never got around to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Punch was so loving good last night. More cramped than last time which took away from it a little but still a great time. Also I fell on Val's bass drum and tore up my back. I'm loving sore.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Dickeye posted:

Don't make me take my belt off over this poo poo I swear to god

Look I'm sorry that The Ergs are better, both qualitatively and quantitatively. Its science!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Iron Lung posted:

Look I'm sorry that The Ergs are better, both qualitatively and quantitatively. Its science!

I swear to Christ don't make me take it off

gerfatty
Sep 14, 2007
What's so wrong with being a punk rock faggot hippy, anyway?
Team Ergs.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Team Michelle Shirelle

Kim Jong-Chill
Nov 16, 2006

If you don't like swastikas then you DON'T DESERVE A TATTOO
Team Ceremony.

secondhand dog
Sep 10, 2009

Parachute Underwear posted:

Yesss, their first LP rules. How's Mount Hope? Never got around to it.

I think it's a decent amount better than the first LP, though it's really only the folk side of their stuff. It's a lot more cohesive, though, and if you can dig some good folk music, it's easily worth a listen.

rivals posted:

Punch was so loving good last night. More cramped than last time which took away from it a little but still a great time. Also I fell on Val's bass drum and tore up my back. I'm loving sore.

Yeah, I'm kinda surprised by how many people came from the other house to see Punch, but then again, I guess the word got out that it would be one of the more important shows to see at Broadfest, even for the folks who aren't really into hardcore.

I also really liked Fell Voices, The Separation, and Lockstep, even if I got my glasses bent after getting ripped off my head during Lockstep. I normally don't have issue of losing them, but I guess things happen.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

ManifoldCuriosity posted:

I also really liked Fell Voices, The Separation, and Lockstep, even if I got my glasses bent after getting ripped off my head during Lockstep. I normally don't have issue of losing them, but I guess things happen.

Haha I thought that was you, I wasn't sure though. I was standing next to you during that. Lane from Lockstep (bassist) is originally from SLO and still comes to visit regularly. He used to be in an old time band called PCJS with some other kids from around here so seeing him play Integrity type stuff is pretty hilarious/awesome. The Separation is good, still surprises me to see the drummer from Set It Straight with them even though he's always been in the band and I've seen them a few times.

Speaking of which is anyone going to the Set It Straight show in Redding with Comadre and a few others? I think it's right around my finals (March 20th, IIRC) and right before my birthday so I'm not sure if I can make it all the way up there.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Have Nots from Boston have a new label and have put their entire cd up for free download on the labels website http://www.districtlines.com/17369-Have-Nots-Serf-City-USA-Free-Digital-Sampler/Paper-And-Plastick

If you liked Stray Bullets you'll probably like this. It's pretty awesome.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Those guys are loving awesome, everyone listen to it

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
Goddammit, tried to see hosed Up tonight but got to the venue and it was sold out. I didn't know they were that popular.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Evil Vin posted:

Goddammit, tried to see hosed Up tonight but got to the venue and it was sold out. I didn't know they were that popular.

you're kidding, right? They were the biggest punk band to come out of the Toronto punk scene (eclipsing the likes of Haymaker and Urban Blight and Career Suicide), but once they got BNM on Pitchfork and subsequently won the Polaris prize, their notoriety went through the roof!

P.S
I'm seeing them in Boston tomorrow night. Any goons gonna be there?

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

baberaham lincoln posted:

you're kidding, right? They were the biggest punk band to come out of the Toronto punk scene (eclipsing the likes of Haymaker and Urban Blight and Career Suicide), but once they got BNM on Pitchfork and subsequently won the Polaris prize, their notoriety went through the roof!

P.S
I'm seeing them in Boston tomorrow night. Any goons gonna be there?

I seriously didn't know. I checked the day before and it was sold out so I assumed I could just stroll in. Well at least I got to hear some of their playing from listening by the backdoor.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Evil Vin posted:

I seriously didn't know. I checked the day before and it was sold out so I assumed I could just stroll in. Well at least I got to hear some of their playing from listening by the backdoor.

you should have gone super early, I'll be you could have gotten Damien to put you on the Guest list. He's super fan friendly.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

you should have gone super early, I'll be you could have gotten Damien to put you on the Guest list. He's super fan friendly.

Me and my friend were actually hoping to run into the band, since we had previously had some luck with bands getting random dudes into the show. Next time I know I have to actually go buy tickets instead of hoping theres more when I get there.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Evil Vin posted:

Me and my friend were actually hoping to run into the band, since we had previously had some luck with bands getting random dudes into the show. Next time I know I have to actually go buy tickets instead of hoping theres more when I get there.

yeah man, they are awesome live, and they almost always tour with awesome bands. Make sure to see them at venue that allows stage diving!

Reverend Sub-Zero
Jan 11, 2008

Filladelfia Pliers

met Damian both times I've seen them here in Philly. he's ridiculously nice and kinda humble, which is funny considering how he acts on stage. best live show I've ever seen. they started the show with "Two Snakes" going right into "Son the Father" and finished the show with "Bodies" by the Sex Pistols and "Police." my voice still isn't quite right.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Reverend Sub-Zero posted:

met Damian both times I've seen them here in Philly. he's ridiculously nice and kinda humble, which is funny considering how he acts on stage. best live show I've ever seen. they started the show with "Two Snakes" going right into "Son the Father" and finished the show with "Bodies" by the Sex Pistols and "Police." my voice still isn't quite right.

oh, so they did play the same set list at every gig... usually they toss it up a little from gig to gig. Did they play circling the drain in Philly? Speaking of Damian's awesomeness, my friend waited around to talk to him, and managed to score an autographed copy of Couple Tracks 7". Nice!

The Boston show was good, but the security people were throwing people out for stage diving. It got to be such a problem that Damian stopped the show like three times to try and work it out with the bouncers. They were manhandling kids in such a way that they caused more damage than they hoped to prevent. People at punk shows know how to handle stage divers, and yanking them down by the neck is not how to do it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Lighting the gerfatty signal

Apparently Chris Grivet, formerly of the Steinways, made a sampler of punk bands that he liked, and he was such a dipshit about it that Grath and Chadd Derkins made a parody version where they cover all of the songs on Grivet's sampler

It is the best thing and the worst thing at the same time

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1089694/chadd%20and%20grath%20funtime%20company%20fixed.zip

highlights include Fruitmarket Fantasy, Extra Medium, and Blank Ammunition

e: and the original

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 22, 2010

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Dickeye posted:

Lighting the gerfatty signal

Apparently Chris Grivet, formerly of the Steinways, made a sampler of punk bands that he liked, and he was such a dipshit about it that Grath and Chadd Derkins made a parody version where they cover all of the songs on Grivet's sampler

It is the best thing and the worst thing at the same time

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1089694/chadd%20and%20grath%20funtime%20company%20fixed.zip

highlights include Fruitmarket Fantasy, Extra Medium, and Blank Ammunition

e: and the original

Baaahahahahaha. <3

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Seriously the first time I listened to the Extra Medium cover I lost my poo poo

"Now all my harshest critics are screaming for murder" "MURDER"

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl
Do I really wanna look in that "scenecore" thread?

The "metalcore" thread is bad enough so I can only imagine the horrors that await me in this new travesty.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
basically it's a thread where we talk about the burnout 3 soundtrack

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

I like to move it move it!
Not sure if anyone is interested, but I run a label called Dead End Records (https://www.deadendrecs.com)

I just put out a split 7" for two bands from the south. Legion (members of die young TX and coliseum) and Fingers Crossed (ringworm worship)

If you get time to check it out please do!

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

:lol:MARINES:lol:
I'm a cross-posting douchebag who couldn't get any help in Recommendation... please help me punk megathread!

Looking for something similar to this:

Squad Five-O - Late News Breaking

It's glammy "rock and roll" that's really major with a lot of punk influence. Their two albums before this are really good too, but this one's a classic.

Looking around I couldn't find much. Last.fm wasn't helpful at ALL, Pandora sucked too mostly, but did recommend the Black Halos. The closest thing in my collection to this stuff is probably the Heart Attacks or the River City Rebels.

Anyone have any ideas?

RagingPawn
Nov 29, 2007
Saw Title Fight, Shook Ones and Polar Bear Club tonight. Title Fight blew me away, and the crowd loved it, signing along, flying around it was mad. Then Shooks were on, I'm not really into them but I watched a few songs before deciding to check out merch etc. Then PBC came on, its the second time I have seen them and I don't think they were as good as last time, but that might be because I'm not as familier with their new album as I was the first album and ep.

But all in all, a pretty good night.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The new Daughters album is pretty rockin'.

Kim Jong-Chill
Nov 16, 2006

If you don't like swastikas then you DON'T DESERVE A TATTOO

Inspector_71 posted:

The new Daughters album is pretty rockin'.

I was going to say this but I was too lazy. Ive listened to it 5 times.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I actually don't like it quite as much as Hell Songs, the new one is a lot more "conventional" for lack of a better descriptor.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

I haven't listened to them since Canada Songs, despite the fact that the singer is in my bjj classes. I'll have to look into their new stuff.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

acup posted:

I haven't listened to them since Canada Songs, despite the fact that the singer is in my bjj classes. I'll have to look into their new stuff.

Tell him to go back to the whole screaming/screeching thing. And then put him into a peruvian necktie.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Evil Vin posted:

Same with the show in Chicago, both shows (2 same day) were sold out I guess, luckily I got on a guest list. Don't worry they played a pretty ho hum set no real encore. Love them but c'mon throw us a boner.

FYI Urban Blight is way better and Haymaker is godlike.

El Jorge
Feb 26, 2006

A spiritus dominatus,
Domine, libra nos,
From the lighting and the tempest,
Our Emperor, deliver us.

A morte perpetua,
Domine, libra nos.

El Jorge posted:

I've been listening to a lot of early screamo recently. Pretty basiclevel stuff, I guess. It's mainly been Orchid, Saetia, Funeral Diner, Pg.99, Circle Takes The Square and stuff like that. Along those lines, what should i check out next?

Parachute Underwear posted:

City of Caterpillar
Amanda Woodward
Daitro
Ampere
Cease Upon the Capitol
Celeste
Comadre
A Day in Black and White - My Heroes Have Always Killed Cowboys
Envy
Joshua Fit for Battle
Kidcrash
Life at These Speeds
Majority Rule
Portraits of Past
Transistor Transistor (a goon is in this band, also they are loving excellent)
Who Calls so Loud
Yaphet KottoThat should keep you busy for a couple days.

I hate to bring back poo poo from November but I asked for some recommendations and was given some really solid advice. I've been listening to all that I can and digging the gently caress out of a lot of it. Not to sound like some sort of babby retard though, a lot of this is hard to find and branching out is difficult as well. It seems that there is a vast ocean of knowledge between someone like me and a regular poster in this thread. I go to shows,I lurk this thread, I pick up splits and that sort of thing but what else can I do to learn myself up? Where can I find some more of this stuff? Thanks duders.

Suffix will be playing a show somewhere near me. Pretty pumped.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Help! My subculture is being appropriated!

This is actually pretty hilarious.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

El Jorge posted:

I hate to bring back poo poo from November but I asked for some recommendations and was given some really solid advice. I've been listening to all that I can and digging the gently caress out of a lot of it. Not to sound like some sort of babby retard though, a lot of this is hard to find and branching out is difficult as well. It seems that there is a vast ocean of knowledge between someone like me and a regular poster in this thread. I go to shows,I lurk this thread, I pick up splits and that sort of thing but what else can I do to learn myself up? Where can I find some more of this stuff? Thanks duders.

Suffix will be playing a show somewhere near me. Pretty pumped.

reading zines, wikipedia articles, books, last.fm pages, talking to people you know who are into this stuff. If you've got a serious passion for it, it just all seems fall into your lap eventually. One thing to note is that all those bands were pretty much on Level Plane Records at one point in their career. A lot of times record labels will stick with one sound and one sound only, so it might not hurt to check out Level Plane's release history, as well as the labels they are friends with. As I recall 625 Thrash and 3oneG records were both into a similar sound and released some of those artists on their labels.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

ChaosNonMusica posted:

Help! My subculture is being appropriated!

This is actually pretty hilarious.

What the hell is that?

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

reading zines, wikipedia articles, books, last.fm pages, talking to people you know who are into this stuff. If you've got a serious passion for it, it just all seems fall into your lap eventually. One thing to note is that all those bands were pretty much on Level Plane Records at one point in their career. A lot of times record labels will stick with one sound and one sound only, so it might not hurt to check out Level Plane's release history, as well as the labels they are friends with. As I recall 625 Thrash and 3oneG records were both into a similar sound and released some of those artists on their labels.

Also when I was a wee emo babby I used to browse the Robotic Empire webstore and just listen to random bands go googling their names.

You can probably google for something like "screamo blogspot" and find a bunch of stuff that way. Even if the blogs aren't in English, you're guaranteed to find some good poo poo. And yeah, believe it or not, checking the Wikipedia pages for bands you like will yield other bands that are similar or that they shared members with.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

acup posted:

What the hell is that?

Some new Lady GaGa video where she has Doom, GISM, and Icons of Filth painted on her jacket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniero
Oct 11, 2009

hilarious.

Didn't Missy Elliot have a video where she's wearing a Code 13 shirt?

aniero fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 13, 2010