Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Hobologist posted:

I admit I'm not an expert in mining (or economics), but it seems kind of wasteful that you have to identify a mining property, go into the equity markets, buy it outright, and then do the analysis. If the business is so dependent on talented geologists, would it really be impossible to get the geologists in there before the IPO?

Well, with the Junior mining companies, the entire business model is based on getting geologists out there. They identify some prospective land, spend a few million on exploration permitting, surveying to identify targets, trenching, drilling etc to prove that conceptual target to a resource. Then they try to joint venture it to a major who will fund further work, or sell it. That further work includes a ton more permitting hurdles, environmental assessments, public consultations, and economic analysis. If you can produce a feasibility study that says you will be profitable if you build this mine, THEN you can start trying to get actual project financing to build a mine. However, given the way metals and share prices went last year, most juniors were unwilling or unable to raise the kind of money you need to actually get metal out of the ground.

In the typical case, a Jr will prove a resource and hope for a partner. In the case of Chariot, they went through the next stage of hurdles and finished a feasibility study. In effect, majors leverage the risk of exploration onto a junior, pay them a share of the defined value, then reap the benefits.

Dead Pressed posted:

As a mining engineer (student), I can vouch for the ungodly number of hoops that have to be jumped through before you can start making any money. There is so much behind the scenes crap that has to be dealt with that a lot of people may not take into consideration. Government permitting not being the easiest of problems to contend with.
You also have to hope you're working in a jurisdiction that isn't just going to revoke your permit on the eve of first production, then take everything over. I'm ooking at you, Democratic Republic of the Congo. or Venezuela. or Pakistan.

God this industry gets screwed.

e: I didn't post my CHD entry-point because I don't even know if I was reading BFC then.

ElehemEare fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 5, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"
CRAMER :argh:

I invest on Tuesdays to get the Sharebuilder $4 trade special, and he had to go open his big mouth and recommend the stock I was going to buy. It's gone up 7% since his show, when it had a nice dip before :smith:

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
You all remember how happy I was about CONN's performance?

Well, it's all the way back up to where it was when I bought it. :unsmith:

Hobologist fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 8, 2010

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.

Janin posted:

CRAMER :argh:

I invest on Tuesdays to get the Sharebuilder $4 trade special, and he had to go open his big mouth and recommend the stock I was going to buy. It's gone up 7% since his show, when it had a nice dip before :smith:

If you had spent an extra $3 with Scottrade, you would have gotten it at the price you actually wanted it at. Sharebuilder and their Tuesday discount stuff is bullshit. Don't blame Cramer or anyone else for your bad broker choice, in the name of saving a couple bucks on commission.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

dv6speed posted:

If you had spent an extra $3 with Scottrade, you would have gotten it at the price you actually wanted it at. Sharebuilder and their Tuesday discount stuff is bullshit. Don't blame Cramer or anyone else for your bad broker choice, in the name of saving a couple bucks on commission.

I don't see how choosing a broker that charges less is a bad choice; I don't use the fancy features in the expensive brokerages reviewed in the first post, and as a newbie investor the extra subscriptions and fees add up much faster. It's never been a problem before -- this is the first time a stock I've wanted's gone up so fast over a weekend.

Don Wrigley
Jun 8, 2006

King O Frod

Janin posted:

this is the first time a stock I've wanted's gone up so fast over a weekend.

It's never happened before, so it won't happen in the future!

Bro, I go 20 miles over the speed limit and have never gotten a ticket!

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.

Janin posted:

I don't see how choosing a broker that charges less is a bad choice;
I'll tell you why it's a bad idea.

It's a bad idea becuase you buying stock using an "automatic investing" plan, where you have to place an order by a certain time the previous week to have it execute at an unknown time on Tuesday at an unknown price?

So in an effort to save money on commission, you end up wasting money because you are buying stock at a higher price then you should.

Now if you were with another broker such as Scottrade, you could have placed a limit order for $7 for the exact price you wanted it, WHEN you wanted it, and you could have pocketed that 7% gain and sold when Cramer's recommendation shot it up.

In an effort to save $3, you lost a potential gain of how much? In this case you were lucky because you didn't lose money, but you missed out on a good profit.

Hell if you had bought the stock last week when you wanted to, at a price you wanted, you could have sold it on the Cramer run up, pocketed 7%, and then buy it back cheaper to hold long term after the Cramer hype dies down.

The only reason to open a Share builder account and use their automatic investment plan is if you don't have the minimum $500 to open a Scottrade account. If this describes you, then you should wait till you have some cash.

AbsentMindedWelder fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 8, 2010

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
The way sharebuilder is supposed to work is you keep buying the same poo poo week after week because you believe in it and you pay $20 a month or whatever for the highest plan and then you have it pull out $200 a week from your ING Direct account and shove that into 4 stocks at $50 each. Then you get to do some dollar cost averaging and buy stocks on a regular basis with a low overhead.

Saving $6 to buy on a Tuesday afternoon isn't worth it if the fluctuation of a stock over a day is important to you.

If you care about the price of something right now or want to buy something at a specific price, put in a limit or market order. If you care about the price of something 3 years from now more than you care about the price of it now, just buy it on a Tuesday and don't worry about the 5% difference.

edit: If you want to try and get your commission down to $4, just put in a limit order for a price a little bit lower than you'd be willing to pay immediately. If that order goes through then cancel your Tuesday automatic investment dealie.

Ned fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 8, 2010

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

dv6speed posted:

I'll tell you why it's a bad idea.

It's a bad idea becuase you buying stock using an "automatic investing" plan, where you have to place an order by a certain time the previous week to have it execute at an unknown time on Tuesday at an unknown price?

The order is placed by Monday night, and executed Tuesday morning. It's not like I set it up and then go camping on a mountain and hope everything comes out OK.

Here's my situation: originally, my parents used Schwab, and I would invest some of my part-time job income. I got tired of the $20-per-trade or whatever the commission was, and they didn't trust day-trader sites like etrade because of the internet bubble ("they'll take your money and run!"), so we compromised on a site with a real bank backing it but lower commissions.

If there's a brokerage that doesn't charge a subscription, and costs less per trade than $4, I'd be happy to look into it.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.

Janin posted:

I don't see how choosing a broker that charges less is a bad choice; I don't use the fancy features in the expensive brokerages reviewed in the first post, and as a newbie investor the extra subscriptions and fees add up much faster. It's never been a problem before -- this is the first time a stock I've wanted's gone up so fast over a weekend.

Take a look at thinkorswim. $0.015/share commission with a minimum of $5 (that's for each leg of the trade).

And it didn't have to go up fast. If you were tying to save $6 and were buying a round lot you only needed to miss a move of 0.06/point for it to cost you.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.

Janin posted:

Here's my situation: originally, my parents used Schwab, and I would invest some of my part-time job income. I got tired of the $20-per-trade or whatever the commission was, and they didn't trust day-trader sites like etrade because of the internet bubble ("they'll take your money and run!"), so we compromised on a site with a real bank backing it but lower commissions.

If there's a brokerage that doesn't charge a subscription, and costs less per trade than $4, I'd be happy to look into it.
As far as the "day-trader" sites, if they are backed by the SPIC, they can't take your money and run.

Most brokers I've seen, Scottrade, E-trade, whatever trade, don't charge a subscription fee.

I believe Zecco has a $4 price for market/limit orders.

P.S. Don't use market orders and don't use Automatic Execute on Tuesday "Investment" orders either.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Question on Zecco

quote:

I've never had problems with it, but the tools are not that great so I preferred to just rely on tradeking. Their execution time was always fine for me. I've heard that the major problem people have with zecco is the customer service. I was pissed when they upped the free trade balance to $25,000, but the trades are still only $4.50 each.

Does that mean that trades are only free if I'm buying/selling more than $25,000? Or only for less? Googling "free trade balance" gives nothing useful.

The Zecco website says that I get 10 free trades if I trade more than 25 times per month, but I usually just do one or two per month.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

destructo posted:

Just for shits.. Watch GGWPQ in the coming week.

from reuters posted:

By Daniel Taub

March 8 (Bloomberg) -- General Growth Properties Inc.’s largest creditor, Fairholme Capital Management LLC, and Pershing Square Capital Management LP, the biggest shareholder, plan to jointly invest $3.93 billion in the mall owner to help it emerge from bankruptcy, according to a person familiar with the plan.

The investment would combine with $2.63 billion from Brookfield Asset Management Inc. and pay unsecured creditors in full, including interest, in cash, said the person, who asked not to be identified because the talks are private. The new plan is being considered by General Growth’s board and may be announced as soon as today.
:smug:

edit: Still waiting for share pricing figures, but hopefully this is good news..

edit2: up 5% already today, not bad, now let's see a couple dollars.

destructo fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 9, 2010

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Janin posted:

Question on Zecco

Does that mean that trades are only free if I'm buying/selling more than $25,000? Or only for less? Googling "free trade balance" gives nothing useful.

The Zecco website says that I get 10 free trades if I trade more than 25 times per month, but I usually just do one or two per month.

Zecco's verbiage is "Net equity balance of of >=$25k". So if your equity balance is @ >= to 25,000 before your order is executed you get the trade free...up to ten.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Zecco's verbiage is "Net equity balance of of >=$25k". So if your equity balance is @ >= to 25,000 before your order is executed you get the trade free...up to ten.

Oh, awesome! I'll start the change-over process tomorrow.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hey guys, who owns IMAX? :smug:

Eh, I was up .8% on a flat day so I'm not complaining.

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima

Dead Pressed posted:

As a mining engineer (student), I can vouch for the ungodly number of hoops that have to be jumped through before you can start making any money. There is so much behind the scenes crap that has to be dealt with that a lot of people may not take into consideration. Government permitting not being the easiest of problems to contend with.

Also, very happy with my investment into AMD a few weeks ago. Bought in at $7.50, its $8.65 right now. If only I had more money to throw into the pot (only had $700 tax return). :/

Anything in particular make you want to invest in them? I invested $500 at 40 per share in July/2000 :(. It did a lot better than my 3DFX investment that year.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

Medikit posted:

Anything in particular make you want to invest in them? I invested $500 at 40 per share in July/2000 :(. It did a lot better than my 3DFX investment that year.

Ouch, sorry man. :/ You really could not have paid any more for that stock.

I invested in AMD for a few reasons. One, I felt as though their stock was pretty cheap, it was a company I know about that I felt pretty comfortable with long term. I'm not concerned about them losing it and going under, as if they were to fail, INTEL would have a monopoly. This was kind of proven with some antitrust litigation that was completed recently, where INTC had to pay a ton of money to AMD for screwing them out of the market.

I also built my own computer recently, and was very satisfied with the product. During my research, I got excited about some of their upcoming releases (6core, 8 core cpus), which I felt might add to the business abilities, seeing as they are the hot "budget cpus" right now.

AMD also recently purchased ATI, a GPU producer, which is absolutely slaughtering nVidia in product performance. NVDA was supposed to have some great hardware come out soon (fermi cards), but actual capabilities were way under what they are shooting for, and still below what AMD (ATI) is producing now.

All in all, I just felt it was the right choice and I was very comfortable with the decision. I didn't really have any great information to go off of other than that. I also kind of lucked out, as the day I bought my shares, Canada announced a research grant that was to be given to AMD to ensure some tech jobs and help eliminate some of the company's debt, or something. That caused the stock to shoot up like .40 that day, which was pretty cool (as it was my first ever purchase).

Also, got about $2500 coming my way soon (dad forgot to file the tuition I paid :argh:). I'm thinking about investing into CRH, and Irish company that owns Oldcastle Materials, which is one of the larger corporate aggregate companies in the US. I'm really liking their price to buy now, dividend payouts, and market necessity once the economy starts picking up. Was thinking about Vulcan Materials Company (VMC), but they're a little bit more pricey, less payout, and don't quite have the influence CRH as a whole does. I really wanted to buy into some coal stocks (Massey MEE, Peabody BTU, Consol CNX?) but those are a little high, and I think I can get a better deal in the summer. Who knows though? Any thoughts?

Dead Pressed fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 9, 2010

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Anyone know of any good telecom companies that are going to be providing chipsets or backhaul equipment for rolling out 4g tech like wimax or LTE?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Buying a stock for the dividend payouts is pretty :effort:

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

destructo posted:

Buying a stock for the dividend payouts is pretty :effort:

One of three factors I listed. Thanks for the :effort: though.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

D13F00L posted:

Anyone know of any good telecom companies that are going to be providing chipsets or backhaul equipment for rolling out 4g tech like wimax or LTE?

I like TKLC in this space, but I second-guessed myself and missed the boat last month, now it's pretty overbought. If it trickles down below $17 or craters to $15 I'll likely be a buyer.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

I WANT TO EAT BABBY posted:

I like TKLC in this space, but I second-guessed myself and missed the boat last month, now it's pretty overbought. If it trickles down below $17 or craters to $15 I'll likely be a buyer.

drat!
I would buy them, they're profitable, looking at the price to book and price to earnings, it doesn't look overvalued.
But judging by technical analysis the stock is going to hit some resistance soon.

Everything seems to be at their highs right now. Which means, I'm confused, the value of the dollar is also raising.

Shouldn't that put some downward pressure on the market?

Speaking of which, where's the inflation at? Didn't we give out tons and tons of free money?

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

D13F00L posted:

drat!
I would buy them, they're profitable, looking at the price to book and price to earnings, it doesn't look overvalued.
But judging by technical analysis the stock is going to hit some resistance soon.

Everything seems to be at their highs right now. Which means, I'm confused, the value of the dollar is also raising.

Shouldn't that put some downward pressure on the market?

Speaking of which, where's the inflation at? Didn't we give out tons and tons of free money?

They're super volatile with smallish volume so the stock gets shoved around a lot. They managed to break resistance around $17.50, but I don't think it will hold. If they do test it on the way down and it shows support, could touch 20. Either way I'm sitting an watching, not buying.

The Dollar/Market correlation has been on-again/off-again lately, which is to say there hasn't recently been a real correlation. This probably just comes down to the Euro and cable weakening and is not a lasting trend (cheap dollars will still send the markets higher) but it's nice to see some confidence from the market with the $DXY over 80. An inflation spike is still just a bugbear preached by the Zero Hedge crowd and probably not a real concern until next year at the earliest. As for why everything is making new highs (there's now a high in the number of Dow components at their 52-week highs) on very thin volume? I dunno but it makes me uneasy.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
I ended up buying some WEN the other day. McDonalds is kind of the golden child stock in that market segment and then the rest of the players seem quite cheap. It seems like the company should be able to recover from purchasing Arbys. If it can't then I guess it could sell that unit to someone in the future. Wendy's seems to be a good brand. The Wendy's brand was valued at 1.3 billion in 2006 and they have 600 million in cash on hand currently. So with a market cap of 2.1 billion they seem like a nice deal. I also like stocks that pay dividends. It currently has a tiny one but if they recover it could become decent.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What is better than being all in and up 1.75% on a day when the S&P is currently only up 0.5%? Nothing. There's nothing better :smug:.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

What is better than being all in and up 1.75% on a day when the S&P is currently only up 0.5%? Nothing. There's nothing better :smug:.
Except for being up 15% in three days :smug:

bleepstreet
Feb 14, 2003
I purchased apple shares at 205 and I am planning on selling them just before the release of the ipad on april 3rd. I purchased the shares at a full service brokerage called RBC Dominion Securities, a Canadian bank, and they have very hefty commission fees (1.6% on the buy and sell).

Does a brokerage firm normally charge you taxes on the capital gain when you ask them to sell your shares and cut you a cheque? I would like to buy back the shares with cheaper brokerage company such as Scotia iTrade. Obviously it would be much more advantageous to not have to pay taxes on gains until year end.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
C is up today 15 cents or 4.19% at 3.98/share are they finally making the slow turn around? Ive had an eye on it since it was at the 5.15 mark, but it seemed to lose 3 to 4 cents a share every single day for the last 6 months.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Glad I got outta GNVC at the open today, something is amiss.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Profits have been too easy this past week. And it's not like I've got spec plays either: AAPL, CELG, FSLR, IMAX, MOS, RIG, and BGU and FAS for good measure.

I'm scared :(

Free Gucci Mane
Aug 31, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Is this guy like a genius or what? http://simulator.investopedia.com/Ranking/ViewPortfolio.aspx?UserID=1694793&GameID=109736 I just don't understand how he's been able to get such amazing gains.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Free Gucci Mane posted:

Is this guy like a genius or what? http://simulator.investopedia.com/Ranking/ViewPortfolio.aspx?UserID=1694793&GameID=109736 I just don't understand how he's been able to get such amazing gains.
He's trading options on large cap, high beta names. It's not that hard to do well when you've got no real money on the line.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 10, 2010

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

MrBigglesworth posted:

C is up today 15 cents or 4.19% at 3.98/share are they finally making the slow turn around? Ive had an eye on it since it was at the 5.15 mark, but it seemed to lose 3 to 4 cents a share every single day for the last 6 months.

Citi rocks when there's finally some volume on it (i.e. more than 750m).

There's been some promising news on Citi the last few days, but who knows what will happen when the Gov starts liquidating their stake.

mik fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 10, 2010

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 15, 2019

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
I now a couple pay brokers do that, and that fakemoney site updown does it, but not historically just from when you started (ie today).

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.

Dr. Eldarion posted:

All I want to do is plug in all the stocks I own and how much of them I have, and see a historical graph of their combined value, perhaps something similar to this, showing a total and breaking it out by each individual value in that total.
Whenever I've wanted to do that, I've just downloaded the historical data files from Yahoo finance and then pump it in a spreadsheet.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dr. Eldarion posted:

I'm looking for a website and it seems like there should be hundreds, but I can't seem to find even one. All I want to do is plug in all the stocks I own and how much of them I have, and see a historical graph of their combined value, perhaps something similar to this, showing a total and breaking it out by each individual value in that total.

TD Ameritrade doesn't appear to do it, and I can't find any websites that do after searching for around 10 minutes. Does this really not exist, or do I just suck at searching?

Edit: Yahoo Finance offers this data in CSV form, so I could throw something together that does this if I have to, but I can't believe it hasn't already been done.

Heh, funny, I was looking for that exact same thing last week and couldn't find one so I started programming my own. Not many free sites seem to have an option for that, and none of the (discount) brokers I've used have one either.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

MrBigglesworth posted:

C has been sideways for loving ever dude. I have it at 3.50 and I'm going long but the 25% gain I'm currently experiencing is nice.

I think its on the recovery, it likes to drop down for a while then spike up.

EDIT: Hell back when it was like 2.30 I made like $1200 in one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
This is my problem right now.

Since I have taxes due I have no extra $$$ to throw at it. I was wanting to buy in to C at around the $3.25 mark, but have nothing to put in as I owe nearly $2k to the feds this year.