Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

mobby_6kl posted:

Have you tried not using Firefox if it has been causing you these problems for a year or more? :downs:

Anyway, paste this into a text file and save it as "firefox.bat" or something:
code:
taskkill /F /IM firefox.exe
start firefox.exe
I tested this with notepad and it seems to work as expected, you might just need to specify the full path to the firefox executable in the second line if it's not in the path variable. Or place the bat file in the FF directory, and lunch it through a shortcut, I think that should work as well.

Thanks a lot. I'll try that as soon as I'm home.

And I use firefox because there are addons that only firefox has. And when chrome gets those addons, I'll switch.

Edit: Works from anywhere, without editing the path at all. Thanks so much this is exactly what I needed.

m2pt5 posted:

Ctrl + Shift + Esc. :colbert:
You've missed the point. :colbert:

thehandtruck fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 5, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lediur
Jul 16, 2007
The alternative to anything is nothing.

JasonV posted:

WinRar.

c:\program files\winrar\Rar.exe x -r "C:\Path\To\Files\*.*" "C:\Destination\Folder\"

Thanks for this. I figured out a roundabout solution in the meantime (xcopy all zips and rars to a directory, unzip through context menu) but your solution seems a lot more straightforward.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Lediur posted:

Is there a program out there that can go recursively go through a directory and unzip (or unrar) any archives it comes across and pop the results in a single folder?

http://www.extractnow.com/

This is probably one of the best programs I have ever used. You can drag and drop a folder and it will check all sub dirs for achives, light weight, faster then WinRar, able to extract files , delete original Rars, put it in the same directory or whatever you want, etc. One of the few programs I use all the time and have sent cash monies to the author for making.

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

I'm shutting the website down at the end of the month. I appreciate everyone that's contributed over the past 3 years, but I simply don't have the time or inclination to maintain it properly, not to mention saving the ~$140/yr to keep it online.

Feel free to continue using this thread as you see fit. If you've hosting something on tinyappz.com and don't have a local copy I recommend making one. If you see this message too late and want a copy of something from the website PM me and I'll dig it out of my backup.

tinyappz.com should be available until 4/4/2010.

niblox
May 7, 2009
Can anyone help with this? I need to merge two CSV files based on a common column.

The first is a list of members of our organisation with the following columns (Members.csv):

quote:

Title,First Name,Middle Name,Known as,Last name,Suffix,Address 1,Address 2,Suburb or Town,State or Territory,Country,Post Code,Membership paid to,Electorate

The second CSV is a list of Australian politicians with the following columns (http://www.aph.gov.au/house/members/download/SurnameRepscsv.csv but edited slightly):

quote:

MPSurname,MPFirst Name,MPOther Names,MPPreferred Name,MPCourtesy Title,MPSalutation,MPHonorific,MPGender,MPPolitical Party,MPState,Electorate,Electorate Office Postal Address,Electorate Office Postal Suburb,Electorate Office Postal State,Electorate Office Postal PostCode

What I want to do is create a new CSV file (or append to the members.csv) the MP's details based on our members electorate so that I can easily mail merge all the details into a form letter we are encouraging our members to send to their personal MP.

The output should be something like:

quote:

Title,First Name,Middle Name,Known as,Last name,Suffix,Address 1,Address 2,Suburb or Town,State or Territory,Country,Post Code,Membership paid to,Electorate,MPSurname,MPFirst Name,MPOther Names,MPPreferred Name,MPCourtesy Title,MPSalutation,MPHonorific,MPGender,MPPolitical Party,MPState,Electorate Office Postal Address,Electorate Office Postal Suburb,Electorate Office Postal State,Electorate Office Postal PostCode

based on their electorate.

For example, one member might be:

quote:

Mr,John,,,Doe,,123 Fake St,,Melbourne,Vic,Australia,3000,21/09/2010,Melbourne

Based on the electorate of Melbourne, the following details would be appended to his record

quote:

Tanner,Lindsay,James,,The Hon,Mr,MP,MALE,ALP,Vic,Melbourne,280 King Street,Melbourne,Vic,3000

So it would look like

quote:

Mr,John,,,Doe,,123 Fake St,,Melbourne,Vic,Australia,3000,21/09/2010,Melbourne,Tanner,Lindsay,James,,The Hon,Mr,MP,MALE,ALP,Vic,Melbourne,280 King Street,Melbourne,Vic,3000

Cheers

niblox fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 20, 2010

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

niblox posted:

Can anyone help with this? I need to merge two CSV files based on a common column.

The first is a list of members of our organisation with the following columns (Members.csv):

The second CSV is a list of Australian politicians with the following columns (http://www.aph.gov.au/house/members/download/SurnameRepscsv.csv but edited slightly):

What I want to do is create a new CSV file (or append to the members.csv) the MP's details based on our members electorate so that I can easily mail merge all the details into a form letter we are encouraging our members to send to their personal MP.

The output should be something like:

based on their electorate.

For example, one member might be:

Based on the electorate of Melbourne, the following details would be appended to his record

So it would look like

Cheers
This is actually some pretty basic excel.

Download example.xlsx
(don't overwrite the column names)

- paste all your members into the member tab
- create a new tab and paste all your politicians into it
- cut/paste the "electorate" column on your new tab as the first column
- copy/paste all the politicians from the new tab to the politician tab
- fill down all the columns/rows on the "final" tab
- save the "final" tab as a csv.

If you want to post the politicians csv I can setup an excel doc for you to just paste in the members if the instructions don't make sense.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!
Well seeing as this is going down on the 4th, I might as well request this here real quick. What I need is a jabber bot written in any language that accepts 2 and only two commands (for the sake of being tiny):
code:
gamestart int 
#so what this should output is:
code:
GM turn: You have 1 minute
(after a minute)
(it should then look for the next name in the room)
name's turn: You have 30 seconds
It should continue down the list until it reaches the int value given in gamestart (or, if not possible, just use Player x). So if there were 5 players besides the GM you would type
code:
gamestart 5
Once it goes through all the players, it should return to the GM and start again. This would continue until
code:
gameend
was run.

It's a pretty simple for loop, but I'm not familiar with any of the languages that there are xmpp libraries for, and I'm positive someone here could write this in about and hour. Don't worry about the server and username stuff, just make sure all that info is in an obvious place so I can fill it in myself.

Thanks to anyone who gives it a shot. I don't care what license it's under, but GPL or something would be awesome.

tablebreaker
Dec 4, 2002

I let Andrew earn his RedWings
Here's what I'd like to do from the command line...

I would like to archive a directory:
code:
rar a "FolderName.rar" -v100m "FolderName"
...and that's about as far as I've figured out.

From here, I want to upload FolderName.part* (wildcard depending on how many parts there are) to an ftp server. I'm not sure the command for logging in to an ftp and uploading a file in one go. I've tried using ; to send commands in sequence, but it wasn't working.

After the file transfers are complete, I want the FolderName*.rar files AND the /FolderName/ directory to be deleted.

Bonus points if this can be automated, and super bonus points if I can be sent an email with the FolderName every time this is successful...

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
You're right about the semi colons, but first figure out how to do everything manually. You've figured out how to rar the folders, now figure out how to ftp to your particular server, then figure out how to remove the files (rm -rf FolderName*.rar /FolderName/) then use mailx (hope you have sendmail configured) to mail yourself. Once you've figure out how to do all that manually, copy it into a script and stick it in your cron tab.
E: Oh Jesus thought I was in the BSD thread. That'll work for Unix, if you're in Win it's basicaly the same, you just set it to run your bat file in schedules services.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

ambushsabre posted:

It's a pretty simple for loop, but I'm not familiar with any of the languages that there are xmpp libraries for, and I'm positive someone here could write this in about and hour. Don't worry about the server and username stuff, just make sure all that info is in an obvious place so I can fill it in myself.

Thanks to anyone who gives it a shot. I don't care what license it's under, but GPL or something would be awesome.
Does this work for you?

Also, I have a partial copy of the Tinyappz wiki here: http://sovietpride.su/gayswithguns/tinyappz.rar
It didn't catch everything, but it seems to have caught most of the programs.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

tablebreaker posted:

Here's what I'd like to do from the command line...

I would like to archive a directory:
code:
rar a "FolderName.rar" -v100m "FolderName"
...and that's about as far as I've figured out.

From here, I want to upload FolderName.part* (wildcard depending on how many parts there are) to an ftp server. I'm not sure the command for logging in to an ftp and uploading a file in one go. I've tried using ; to send commands in sequence, but it wasn't working.

After the file transfers are complete, I want the FolderName*.rar files AND the /FolderName/ directory to be deleted.

Bonus points if this can be automated, and super bonus points if I can be sent an email with the FolderName every time this is successful...

Does it have to be ftp? It would probably be easier/more secure to do it over ssh using scp or rsync. Either of those commands are pretty straightforward, and similar to cp. For ftp, you could use "sftp -b " bactchfile non-interactive mode.
To automate in a script without a password prompt, you have to set some sort of public key or something, I never did learn exactly how that works, but I'm pretty sure it's explained in the man pages. If you are on windows or something, get cygwin for a linux environment to use these commands. Put them in a bash script.

I'm not familiar with command line emailing tools, but there's probably a way to get the "mail" command to work non-interactively in a script.

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Apr 7, 2010

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Does this work for you?

Also, I have a partial copy of the Tinyappz wiki here: http://sovietpride.su/gayswithguns/tinyappz.rar
It didn't catch everything, but it seems to have caught most of the programs.

Holy poo poo yes it does. Thanks a ton dude, this will work perfectly!

tablebreaker
Dec 4, 2002

FISHMANPET posted:

You're right about the semi colons, but first figure out how to do everything manually. You've figured out how to rar the folders, now figure out how to ftp to your particular server, then figure out how to remove the files (rm -rf FolderName*.rar /FolderName/) then use mailx (hope you have sendmail configured) to mail yourself. Once you've figure out how to do all that manually, copy it into a script and stick it in your cron tab.
E: Oh Jesus thought I was in the BSD thread. That'll work for Unix, if you're in Win it's basicaly the same, you just set it to run your bat file in schedules services.

thanks for the reply, I should have been more clear-- this is for linux.

I will work on figuring out the single command ftp upload, and the remove files command is easy enough... Then how do I automate it to watch a folder?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

tablebreaker posted:

thanks for the reply, I should have been more clear-- this is for linux.

I will work on figuring out the single command ftp upload, and the remove files command is easy enough... Then how do I automate it to watch a folder?

You'll need to write some kind of script that checks for the particular condition you're looking for (is it a non empty directory? A directory of a certain name in a place?) and if that's true, the script will archive the directory. Then set that up to run in Cron.

tablebreaker
Dec 4, 2002

FISHMANPET posted:

You'll need to write some kind of script that checks for the particular condition you're looking for (is it a non empty directory? A directory of a certain name in a place?) and if that's true, the script will archive the directory. Then set that up to run in Cron.

thanks for the help. if you could email me (my username @ gmail) I could go into more details of what I'm trying to get done... :)

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I don't know enough about coding to know if this is 'tiny' but how about an app to replace words (other than the/of/etc) in a document with random synonyms from the thesaurus. I'm sitting in a persuasive writing class and it seems like it could be a very interesting/handy tool.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Nevvy Z posted:

I don't know enough about coding to know if this is 'tiny' but how about an app to replace words (other than the/of/etc) in a document with random synonyms from the thesaurus. I'm sitting in a persuasive writing class and it seems like it could be a very interesting/handy tool.

Or you could just learn to write, and quit being an ineloquent little bitch. You know, sort of like the whole point of the class?

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Nevvy Z posted:

I don't know decent about inscribing to know if this is 'lilliputian' but how about an app to regenerate words (other than the/of/etc) in a record with ergodic synonyms from the thesaurus. I'm posed in a glib-tongued composing class and it seems like it could be a very enkindling/handy tool.

Yeah, that'll work well

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

Here's an archive of every app that was hosted on tinyappz.com. The wiki text is not included, since parsing it out of the database dump would be a huge pain, and I'm not going to put the dump online since it contains the email addresses of people who registered on the site. It's 28 MB.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BykLs0u-FbuDOTg1NjViNjctZDhhZi00MTNiLWI2MzktOWRmNzI5YjZmODE3&hl=en

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
Can't you do something like
code:
update users set email = '', password = ''
and then put the dump up afterwards?

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
How challenging would the following program be to make? An app which can:

a) read from ID3 tags in an mp3/flac file, or...
b) parse text from a folder name

and spit that out into a jpg or png file, just plain black text on a white 500x500 background?

Say I have a folder, "(2010) Band Name - Album," with the ID3 tags filled out respectively. I'd like to have a 500x500px jpg generated with...

Band Name
Album

...as the only text on this image. This is mainly for a lot of live concerts I have, where when viewing my albums in cover art view, there's nothing for these live shows. I have in the ballpark of around 900 of these albums, with many broken down into bandDATEdisc1 and bandDATEdisc2 subfolders which would need their own jpgs.

Someone pointed me previously to ImageMagick but the learning curve is too steep for the task I'm looking to do. I didn't know if this would be easier or harder to do with a program focused solely on the one task.

Grand Poobah
Jun 20, 2005
I need an app that works with my tablet PC and barcode scanner. When I scan a barcode, it will return text into whatever field I'm in. I will have this app open, so the text is returned into that field, I want this app to append in a prefix address of my specification, and then load the webpage that that string creates. I would also like a button that will jump me straight to the main page of that site if needed.

The autoforwarding option shown is important. I would like this to function that as soon as text is pasted into the text box (if option is checked, text will always be pasted as 1 string, not typed in), it will immediately autoload the site, so I don't have to perform any additional clicking.

Anyone up for it? Free upgrade for whoever makes it.

Grand Poobah fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 23, 2010

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

wattershed posted:

How challenging would the following program be to make? An app which can:

a) read from ID3 tags in an mp3/flac file, or...
b) parse text from a folder name

and spit that out into a jpg or png file, just plain black text on a white 500x500 background?

Say I have a folder, "(2010) Band Name - Album," with the ID3 tags filled out respectively. I'd like to have a 500x500px jpg generated with...

Band Name
Album

...as the only text on this image. This is mainly for a lot of live concerts I have, where when viewing my albums in cover art view, there's nothing for these live shows. I have in the ballpark of around 900 of these albums, with many broken down into bandDATEdisc1 and bandDATEdisc2 subfolders which would need their own jpgs.

Someone pointed me previously to ImageMagick but the learning curve is too steep for the task I'm looking to do. I didn't know if this would be easier or harder to do with a program focused solely on the one task.

This should do what you want:

http://pablotron.org/files/id3image.jar

Usage:
code:
java -jar id3image.jar <output_dir> <input_dir_or_files...>
Example:
code:
mkdir images
java -jar id3image.jar images ~/dl
ls images/
Chromeo-Fancy Footwork-2007.png
Curl-Ultimate Station-2004.png
Way Out West-We Love Machine-2009.png
Source:
http://hg.pablotron.org/id3image

Met48
Mar 15, 2009

Grand Poobah posted:

How's this look?

Download (Requires .NET 3.5)
Source (C#)

It saves all settings to BarcodeReader.ini (same directory) and, aside from the features you mentioned, it will auto-select the textbox's contents whenever you paste (so that the next will replace it).

Grand Poobah
Jun 20, 2005

Metroid48 posted:

How's this look?

Download (Requires .NET 3.5)
Source (C#)

It saves all settings to BarcodeReader.ini (same directory) and, aside from the features you mentioned, it will auto-select the textbox's contents whenever you paste (so that the next will replace it).

That's perfect. Too perfect. I've now discovered that my barcode reader doesn't necessarily 'paste' in the ID, but it enters the numbers in rapid succession. As such, your app fires up after the first digit.

Would it be possible to add 1 more setting called 'Auto-forward Delay', which would allow me to specify a certain number of seconds (or fractions of a second) before the Auto-forward function gets triggered? I may need to adjust this depending on how long of a string I'm transferring.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

Grand Poobah posted:

That's perfect. Too perfect. I've now discovered that my barcode reader doesn't necessarily 'paste' in the ID, but it enters the numbers in rapid succession. As such, your app fires up after the first digit.

Most barcode readers (at least the ones I've used) have a way to set them so they add a specific charater at the end of a scan. You should be able to set it so it send a ENTER afterwards. That would trigger the OK button on the form. (Or any other button that Meteroid48 sets as the default..)

Grand Poobah
Jun 20, 2005

JasonV posted:

Most barcode readers (at least the ones I've used) have a way to set them so they add a specific charater at the end of a scan. You should be able to set it so it send a ENTER afterwards. That would trigger the OK button on the form. (Or any other button that Meteroid48 sets as the default..)

Mine is embedded in the Tablet, so there aren't really any settings that I can play with.

Met48
Mar 15, 2009

Grand Poobah posted:

Would it be possible to add 1 more setting called 'Auto-forward Delay', which would allow me to specify a certain number of seconds (or fractions of a second) before the Auto-forward function gets triggered? I may need to adjust this depending on how long of a string I'm transferring.

Done! After each character it will wait 250ms (changeable) for another to be entered, so it should work fine for different-length strings.

Download v2

Edit: Source v2

Met48 fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 25, 2010

Grand Poobah
Jun 20, 2005

Metroid48 posted:

Done! After each character it will wait 250ms (changeable) for another to be entered, so it should work fine for different-length strings.

Download v2

Perfect! Thanks for the quick work! Upgrade sent. If you didn't get it, email me, looks like I got a copy of the gift certificate sent to me.

Grand Poobah fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 24, 2010

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Neurozys posted:

Here's an archive of every app that was hosted on tinyappz.com. The wiki text is not included, since parsing it out of the database dump would be a huge pain, and I'm not going to put the dump online since it contains the email addresses of people who registered on the site. It's 28 MB.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BykLs0u-FbuDOTg1NjViNjctZDhhZi00MTNiLWI2MzktOWRmNzI5YjZmODE3&hl=en

Thank you! :cheers:

Met48
Mar 15, 2009

Grand Poobah posted:

Perfect! Thanks for the quick work! Upgrade sent. If you didn't get it, email me, looks like I got a copy of the gift certificate sent to me.

Glad to hear it's working well!

I think you need to forward that link - tried to email you but it's disabled.
If you could send it here that'd be great: -snip- It's an (old) alternate account so I'll just leave it here.

Edit: Got it, thanks!

Met48 fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 28, 2010

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.
How hard would it be to have a program which would go through different colours in RGB order when you click a button/press a key? Something where you could define a starting value, ending value and the size of the step (ie. increase the value by N).
Example, you input 200/200/200 as your starting value and 255/255/255 as your ending value with a step size of 5. It would go through 200/200/200-255 and then move onto 200/205/200-255 and so on until all values have been shown.

We have something like this in MATLAB but since it handles color values as between 0 and 1 and we'd like to get true RGB values only along with the possibility of fullscreen of just the color (normal alt+enter and esc behaviour). I figure someone must know of an easy way to do this. This is for testing the spectrums of various light sources that are computer controlled for utilization in interferometry. We run through the whole RGB scale in large steps first, identifying potentially useful areas, then go through those in a more specific manner. We'd like control of the start/end values since raw data over the entire RGB scale adds up to around 750GB.

Edit: Or if anyone knows something that will fullscreen and go through RGB values one by one we can just macro through the extra steps. Though this would have continued use as we analyze new devices in the future so a fully integrated app would be best.

Bensa fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 28, 2010

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

Bensa posted:

How hard would it be to have a program which would go through different colours in RGB order when you click a button/press a key? Something where you could define a starting value, ending value and the size of the step (ie. increase the value by N).
Example, you input 200/200/200 as your starting value and 255/255/255 as your ending value with a step size of 5. It would go through 200/200/200-255 and then move onto 200/205/200-255 and so on until all values have been shown.

We have something like this in MATLAB but since it handles color values as between 0 and 1 and we'd like to get true RGB values only along with the possibility of fullscreen of just the color (normal alt+enter and esc behaviour). I figure someone must know of an easy way to do this. This is for testing the spectrums of various light sources that are computer controlled for utilization in interferometry. We run through the whole RGB scale in large steps first, identifying potentially useful areas, then go through those in a more specific manner. We'd like control of the start/end values since raw data over the entire RGB scale adds up to around 750GB.

Edit: Or if anyone knows something that will fullscreen and go through RGB values one by one we can just macro through the extra steps. Though this would have continued use as we analyze new devices in the future so a fully integrated app would be best.

Threw together a quick and dirty one for you in HTML form. Just hit F11 for full screen.

http://www.pastebin.org/190518

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.
Thanks, this is perfect since we can lock each channel seperately. This should make everything go much faster without having to go through MATLAB.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

Bensa posted:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3619644/colorchanger.zip

Ninja edit: Crap, I ended up doing the exact same thing.

FAG
Jan 12, 2005

'Look what you made me do, look what I made for you - A Bomb!' - Jay-Z Denton
Could anyone up a copy of soundswitch? It was an excellent program, but I apparently didn't back up my software folder when I formatted and now I've lost it :(

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

FAG posted:

Could anyone up a copy of soundswitch? It was an excellent program, but I apparently didn't back up my software folder when I formatted and now I've lost it :(
Are you sure that's what it was called?
Nothing named that in my backup.

FAG
Jan 12, 2005

'Look what you made me do, look what I made for you - A Bomb!' - Jay-Z Denton
Yeah, it didn't go up on tinyappz.com I don't think :/
edit: I found it! http://blog.contriving.net/2009/05/04/a-hotkey-to-switch-between-headphones-and-speakers-soundswitch/#comments

FAG fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 29, 2010

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

FAG posted:

Yeah, it didn't go up on tinyappz.com I don't think :/
http://blog.contriving.net/2009/05/04/a-hotkey-to-switch-between-headphones-and-speakers-soundswitch/

That's his blog and it has a working link to the newest version.

edit: MOTHERFUCKER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genuinebald
Jul 10, 2008

Use me! Only use ME!

Neurozys posted:

Well i run a server and would be glad to bring tinyappz back. Any chance to do this?

• Locked thread