Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Dubs posted:

Fabio beat you too it -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VSkY0MfOqk

that dude is nuts.

Strange how fast my impression of a person can change from weirdo nutbag celebrity to cool guy I would totally hang out with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Z3n posted:

And I'll come over, and help you break them and crash them fix them, mock you when you forget stupid things, and in general make a nuisance of myself! :haw:

I wish I could have a crapload of bikes but I just want to ride :(

I had memories of college today...I didn't look at the weather forecast and it's pouring rain. I took the F2 today, so no rainsuit because it's shoved in the saddlebags of the ZZR. And I only had a tinted visor. So I had a delightful ride home, soaked crotch, while riding a lovely 6. Just like college. I'm glad those days are over.

Sigh, you've described my life down to a tee right now. No rainsuit, only have a tinted visor, my crotch gets wet in the rain, and I ride an old beat-up '94 CBR 600 F2 everywhere.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Dubs posted:

Fabio beat you too it -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VSkY0MfOqk

that dude is nuts.

The first bike he shows off is a Husky 450 supermoto, he's up an R on me though.

Tipped
Jan 9, 2007

It's funny how Fabio mentions that his managers don't want him riding motorcycles because they are dangerous, but he gets brained by a goose during a promo.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows

Z3n posted:

Yeah this is going to sound lame as gently caress, but honestly: It's loving expensive when you can do trackdays from Feb. to December.

what a horrible life you live.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

cmorrow001 posted:

:reject::hf::reject:

I guess we get the possibility of ice racing though

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ola posted:

Strange how fast my impression of a person can change from weirdo nutbag celebrity to cool guy I would totally hang out with.

Yeah Fabio's a regular at motoGP and just seems like an bit of a nutbag but an awesome nutbag. :v:

Zool posted:

The first bike he shows off is a Husky 450 supermoto, he's up an R on me though.

There's a video somewhere of him on the Tom Green show where Tom Green comes by and he gets on the back and fabio wheelies off. It's pretty hilarious.

cmorrow001 posted:

I knew it sounded lame even as I said it, but it's the truth.

I could probably do trackdays in January too, but it's cold...like 45-50 degrees. ;)

I'm not doing myself any favors. :v: On the flip side, I pay more than most people pay for their mortgages in rent, so as always, the choice is you either have money or you have time...you never get both.

Phat_Albert posted:

:reject::hf::reject:

I guess we get the possibility of ice racing though

Ice racing is pretty badass.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Z3n posted:

I knew it sounded lame even as I said it, but it's the truth.

I could probably do trackdays in January too, but it's cold...like 45-50 degrees. ;)

The fact that a motorcycle is a legitimate year round vehicle for you (Gnomad excepted, I applaud his badassery for riding around in the middle of winter in freakin Alaska) is irritating! :arghfist::(

I'm *hoping* for 45-50F days. That's tee shirt weather, man!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

needknees posted:

The fact that a motorcycle is a legitimate year round vehicle for you (Gnomad excepted, I applaud his badassery for riding around in the middle of winter in freakin Alaska) is irritating! :arghfist::(

I'm *hoping* for 45-50F days. That's tee shirt weather, man!

I bicycled in to work today, it's a drat chilly 50 degrees, I'm wearing like 4 layers! :v:

(Look, I kind of have to lord it up about this, because everything else about living in Cali is stupid retarded.)

(Edit: Besides lane splitting.)

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

I bicycled in to work today, it's a drat chilly 50 degrees, I'm wearing like 4 layers! :v:

(Look, I kind of have to lord it up about this, because everything else about living in Cali is stupid retarded.)

(Edit: Besides lane splitting.)

Yeah, you should probably be really happy your hobby is motor sports and not shooting sports. :uhaul:

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
Hey, you can lane split with an AR, too, y'know...

...for a few short minutes, anyway.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Boat posted:

Yeah, you should probably be really happy your hobby is motor sports and not shooting sports. :uhaul:

I actually do a bit of casual shooting in my spare time as well. Nothing exciting, just plinking with a 22 revolver and bolt action, and borrowing friends handguns.

So I'm not too affected by it. If I really wanted to fling some lead, I'd just head over to nevada and hang out at the all you can shoot machinegun range! :haw:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

If I really wanted to fling some lead, I'd just head over to nevada and hang out at the all you can shoot machinegun range! :haw:

That's not a real place...

...is it?

UK Gün prevented from having military hardware funtimes by the nanny state.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

That's not a real place...

...is it?

UK Gün prevented from having military hardware funtimes by the nanny state.

Yes it is:

http://www.good.is/post/the-mustang-range-machine-gun-shoot/

Expensive, but awesome.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Installed a 4 gallon IMS tank and a 39mm flatslide on the DRZ. Haven't had a chance to ride it yet, need to deal with some oil plumbing first and then it'll be good to go. God, I'd missed the rattle and honk of a flattie.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Once you get the flatslide dialed, its like having a different motor in that bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

Once you get the flatslide dialed, its like having a different motor in that bike.

Yeah, my only issue at the moment is that I have the stock exhaust still on the bike. I've got a Big Gun Race exhaust as well, but it's stupid loud...I can get a quiet insert for it though, so I may give that a shot.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Soooo.....

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3277464&pagenumber=1#post373730853

Z3n posted:

I do wonder if I could somehow get a 6 speed in the DRZ though...

:munch:
Do it now!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I absolutely lack the skills needed to make a transmission. I suppose it's theoretically possible if you had some nice 6 speeds on hand with a similar layout, plus skills as a welder to modify the cases, but I have a feeling that that is about equivalent to firing a rocket in a random direction and having it hit the moon.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Z3n posted:

I absolutely lack the skills needed to make a transmission. I suppose it's theoretically possible if you had some nice 6 speeds on hand with a similar layout, plus skills as a welder to modify the cases, but I have a feeling that that is about equivalent to firing a rocket in a random direction and having it hit the moon.

Sounds like a whole bunch of excuses to me :colbert:

(I didn't expect anything, but reading this thread, I dunno... maybe I should be)

Rudager fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 12, 2010

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Z3n posted:

Nerobro needs a real challenge for his CNC mill.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

Speaking of which, at some point he's supposed to use his mill to make a mill for me, but I've been too busy to get on him about it. He's a busy man himself, anyways, and he's doing it as a favor and I don't mind waiting around. Maybe next month sometime.

On the bright side, the mold making kit showed up. I'm not sure why the CF kit didn't show up as well, but who knows. If I didn't feel like poo poo today, I might actually try and make something. But it'll have to wait for now. Tonight i'm going to try and get to the hardware store or kragen to sort out the oil line issues with the DRZ, and then it should be ridable. My long range DRZ is coming together :3:

Rudager posted:

Sounds like a whole bunch of excuses to me :colbert:

(I didn't expect anything, but reading this thread, I dunno... maybe I should be)

All told, I haven't done anything really amazing in this thread, honestly. I've rebuilt a bike with all the stock pieces, it's just like oversized legos. We'll see how things go when I get the sumo wheelset and all of that, I'd like to learn to lace my own wheels and I've got a lot in store for the DRZ, but nothing really awesome has happened yet.

Although I will admit, the thought did cross my head about trying to make my own transmission. They're fairly simple assemblies, it'd just require some careful planning and some very skilled machine work. I have a feeling that if you wanted to do something like this, the way to go would be to find a 6 speed that was marginally compatable with the DRZ and go from there.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Ola posted:

I was acutally thinking about how I could manage this the other day in the car. I was thinking about how to make a bicycle derailer system work for a "real" vehicle. I think I figured it out to............

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Theres an actual good reason the lack of 6 speed conversion for the DRZ,.. but i cant remember it.

Anyway, I think the stock exhaust flows ok (while still poo poo) for the amount of noise it makes, you gotta go LOUD for power.

I wonder if anyone has dynoed that RS-4 pipe yet, in all its ridiculousness.

One day when i have some time ill pull the plastics off mine and CAD up a twin exhaust (one over the other) and see how it flows.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Nerobro posted:

I was acutally thinking about how I could manage this the other day in the car. I was thinking about how to make a bicycle derailer system work for a "real" vehicle. I think I figured it out to............

It's all been done before.

(or is that an early kickstarter?)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thats the kickstart

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Z3n posted:

Although I will admit, the thought did cross my head about trying to make my own transmission. They're fairly simple assemblies, it'd just require some careful planning and some very skilled machine work.

Machining tolerances for gearboxes are pretty insane.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I wouldn't say insane. you've got 1-3thou to work with for shaft alignments. Gear thicknesses and dog depths are a different story, but likely in the same arena. The real bugger would be milling the shift drum...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Dubs posted:

Theres an actual good reason the lack of 6 speed conversion for the DRZ,.. but i cant remember it.

Anyway, I think the stock exhaust flows ok (while still poo poo) for the amount of noise it makes, you gotta go LOUD for power.

I wonder if anyone has dynoed that RS-4 pipe yet, in all its ridiculousness.

One day when i have some time ill pull the plastics off mine and CAD up a twin exhaust (one over the other) and see how it flows.

Yeah, the best compromise I can think of would be something with a quiet core and spark arrester for daily riding, and when I want to track the thing, pulling both of those out.

Those RS-4 pipes are neat and all, but I'd think they'd kill cornering clearance...the pipe that I lust after is the MRD/SSW pipe:

It's the pipe designed by SSW in conjunction with MRD for their 60RWHP DRZ. Apparently is it the ultimate pipe.

Blaster of Justice posted:

Machining tolerances for gearboxes are pretty insane.

Nerobro posted:

I wouldn't say insane. you've got 1-3thou to work with for shaft alignments. Gear thicknesses and dog depths are a different story, but likely in the same arena. The real bugger would be milling the shift drum...

These are reasons why I'd probably try and find something that could fit in the cases, rather than re-machining the gears, as it was.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

These are reasons why I'd probably try and find something that could fit in the cases, rather than re-machining the gears, as it was.

No one has done it yet, and the DRZ community has pretty much done everything to DRZ's.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

No one has done it yet, and the DRZ community has pretty much done everything to DRZ's.

Yeah...the thing is, it'd take a lot more work than anyone will the skills to do so would be willing to put in. You'd probably end up having to weld up the cases, re-drill them, and plus the cost of a transmission, blah blah blah. If you're creative with your gearing, it's not that bad...I figure stock is 15/41 so if you bumped it around to either 16/41 or 15/38-39, then you'd probably be ok for freeway cruising, and then you could drop it down to 13-14/39-41 for playing.

It's just not worth it in the end. Carry an additional front sprocket of the appropriate size, and swap them when you get where you're going.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Well, I wasn't feeling so hot today so I slept in and when I got up I figured I may as well go for a bit of a ride.

Here's the view from the top of the ridge:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0iJGkm3Hug

California being unfailingly polite, even when insulting people.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1zv5xCJzjE

Also got the Carbon Fiber kit today, so maybe a bit later I'll try my hand at making my first C/F piece :)

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Another way to do it would be to build an epicyclic hub into the rear wheel with a 1.1:1 ratio, with a 42 tooth sprocket it would be like a lever actuated 46 tooth. It would just look like you had both hub braking and disc :hydrogen::hf::what:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

Another way to do it would be to build an epicyclic hub into the rear wheel with a 1.1:1 ratio, with a 42 tooth sprocket it would be like a lever actuated 46 tooth. It would just look like you had both hub braking and disc :hydrogen::hf::what:

I can build it out of carbon fiber and dreams that will never be realized! (Just like every other project I talk about :haw:)

It's actually a really neat idea, but...i...i can't even begin to think how you'd build one of those without spending an absurd amount of money.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Your own CNC mill or at the very least a generous friend with one. It would be an awesome experiment.

I just thought about it some more, you could also use it the other way, have a 1:1.1 for off road use. Just like the overdrive and low range box for my old Series Land Rover.

drat, I wish I had AutoCAD set up on one of my machines right now...

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

ReelBigLizard posted:

My thoughts on this were..
What the hell is an epicyclic hub? Why not just use a planetary gear set in the rear wheel? Better google epicyclic and see what it... oh.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

Your own CNC mill or at the very least a generous friend with one. It would be an awesome experiment.

I just thought about it some more, you could also use it the other way, have a 1:1.1 for off road use. Just like the overdrive and low range box for my old Series Land Rover.

drat, I wish I had AutoCAD set up on one of my machines right now...

Yeah, that'd be nice.

In other news: I discovered today that KTM wheels will (nearly) bolt up to the DRZ. :hellyeah:

More options are always good.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Which ones? I feel like most of the KTM wheels are unpainted, and the silver color looks kinda bleh in my mind, especially against a yellow DRZ that is begging for black wheels.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

Which ones? I feel like most of the KTM wheels are unpainted, and the silver color looks kinda bleh in my mind, especially against a yellow DRZ that is begging for black wheels.

Nearly all of them. I haven't gotten too deep into the research on it yet, but the rear is amazingly a direct bolt up, in either the 5 inch rear or the 4.25, cush drive or not, and the front requires milling up some spacers, but that's not the end of the world, I've got the resources to have that done.

Check out this thread:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=481339

I need to sell the F2 or the ZZR before I have the cash to really start looking seriously, but at the moment I've got some leads anyways. Nothing like spending money you don't have.

And the DRZ will hopefully be different colors soon :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Well, I got stupid sick and am still recovering, but did manage to net myself these:

Pair of complete KTM wheels (same axle sizes as the DRZ) for 550$ shipped. With good tires.

Can't beat it with a stick, they should be here later this week. The rear is a direct bolt up, and the front will just require some spacers to be made...I'll drop by the machine shop on campus and see how much that's going to run me.

• Locked thread