Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

quote:

Sporty Subaru Impreza Hybrid is a Strong Possibility
March 3, 2010 by Sam Mitani

Several months ago, Ikuo Mori, president of Subaru, declared that the company will introduce a new hybrid vehicle in 2012. At first, we suspected that the Legacy would be the car chosen to accomplish this task, but insiders say that the chassis of the Legacy isn’t suited for a hybrid powerplant; therefore Subaru engineers are looking at the Impreza. An all-new Impreza is due to arrive in the fall of 2012, and our sources in Japan say there’s a high possibility that a hybrid version will be included in the lineup mix.

If so, you can expect a pretty powerful setup, perhaps mating the Japan car’s current 2.0-liter flat-4 with an electric motor. And since U.S.-spec Imprezas are equipped with a 2.5-liter flat-4, we may get a more powerful setup. It’s still early to say now, but a powerful awd hybrid sports hatchback is right up our alley when it comes to being green.

Interesting...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I think it was only a matter of time honestly.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Oh for fucks sake, not another useless POS hybrid

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Hello, Pleiades goons!

I just took delivery of a used 2006 WRX Limited wagon. I am pretty happy about it, but I need to insure and plate it before I can do much more than poke lazily through traffic jams.

I got a pretty good deal on it because it had a rebuilt title - Subaru dealer checked it out and thought everything was hunky dory except for some lazy paint prep on the replacement parts and a clogged windshield washer jet. I'm happy to finally have a Subaru, or even a car after two years of hunting.

edit: Pictures!

(sorry about that, lawn)

edit edit: The cone ended up in my front yard a few months ago, presumably from someone hitting it and dragging it along to my side street. I've since co-opted it as a helper for when everything is covered in snow. As you can see, it's not helping very much where it is.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 6, 2010

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

/\/\ Congrats! I am loving mine so far. I hope it brings the same stupid grin to your face as it does to mine.

warwick5s posted:

Put a Pioneer U310BT in my 07 Limited, and it owns for the $299 it was on Newegg this week. Really nice bluetooth, nav is decent, detachable face, USB...

I just need to wire an 1/8" stereo jack to the factory AUX jack, put in the XM receiver, and figure out where I want to route the USB cable.

Awesome. I can't wait to slap a new head unit in mine eventually.

How is that momo knob? I was thinking about upgrading to a short throw with that knob. It seems like it's a nice combination of spherical knob and texture.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hey all.

This is probably a question that gets asked fairly often, but it's a 90+ page thread so gently caress searching through all that.

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on an '09 Subaru WRX Sedan at the end of this year. I wanted something that was reasonably quick, but could comfortably seat 4 people and had a decent boot. Gadgets\Interior doesn't matter much to me.

I haven't been for a test-drive yet, I'm still floating ideas, so just a few general questions:

- How reliable are these cars? I understand that lively driving puts everything at risk, that said, I'm not THAT lively of a driver. I have fun, but only late at night when there's nobody else on the road sorta thing.

- How expensive are these things to fix? Once again, it does depend on what breaks, but I dont want it to be like a Porsche where you pay 250 bucks for an oil filter or something absurd.

- What is the boot like? I dont need anything massive, but I've seen a few sport cars that have a boot which is a bit of a joke\token accessory. Is it a practical boot?

- Are these cars good for a Daily Drive?

Thanks for the answers :). Apologies for the probably oft-repeated questions.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Hammer Floyd posted:

Hey all.

This is probably a question that gets asked fairly often, but it's a 90+ page thread so gently caress searching through all that.

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on an '09 Subaru WRX Sedan at the end of this year. I wanted something that was reasonably quick, but could comfortably seat 4 people and had a decent boot. Gadgets\Interior doesn't matter much to me.

I haven't been for a test-drive yet, I'm still floating ideas, so just a few general questions:

- How reliable are these cars? I understand that lively driving puts everything at risk, that said, I'm not THAT lively of a driver. I have fun, but only late at night when there's nobody else on the road sorta thing.

- How expensive are these things to fix? Once again, it does depend on what breaks, but I dont want it to be like a Porsche where you pay 250 bucks for an oil filter or something absurd.

- What is the boot like? I dont need anything massive, but I've seen a few sport cars that have a boot which is a bit of a joke\token accessory. Is it a practical boot?

- Are these cars good for a Daily Drive?

Thanks for the answers :). Apologies for the probably oft-repeated questions.

Pretty Reliable.

Not that expensive.

Sedan trunk isn't huge. There is a bump in the back toward the rear seat backs. You'll see when you go. I haven't had an issue, and the seats fold down.

This was my first stick car since HS. Took a while to get used to the clutch on it. Yes good DD.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Kageneko posted:

Awesome. I can't wait to slap a new head unit in mine eventually.

How is that momo knob? I was thinking about upgrading to a short throw with that knob. It seems like it's a nice combination of spherical knob and texture.

It's just the factory accessory knob, but it's pretty nice. Good weight and shape. I also have the factory accessory short shift on it and it's short and notchy enough that it will gently caress someone up who doesn't normally drive stick, but compared to the factory Subaru shifters it's a huge improvement.

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004

Tremblay posted:

I'd be a little scared of snapping the stock endlinks. I'm putting on Whiteline 22/24mm sways.

I might be a little late to the party here but I had a 25mm front sway on my 08 STi for the past 9 months or so with the stock endlinks. I was waiting for them to give up at any time and they never did, even with attending probably 10 or so autox events. I took that bar off last week and upgraded to a 32mm bar for stock class autox and got some new Perrin endlinks with it in the deal. Upon removal the stock ones still looked and felt ok but I think using them with the 32mm would be pushing it a bit too much.

Stock bar (black, 20mm?), big bar (red, 25 mm), extra big bar (silver, 32 mm)

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
My SVX overheated. :(

I was out driving today, (about 50 degrees, sunny) and got stuck in traffic. Everything seemed OK, until I looked at the temp gauge, and it was at 3/4 of the way up (normally sits just below 1/2). So I pulled over as fast as I could, and took a look at things. Here's what I found...

Both fans were on, and working normally.
Overflow tank was beyond the full mark, but not bubbling / boiling or anything. In fact, I dipped my finger in it, and it was barely warm.
Radiator cap / top of radiator felt warm (not hot)
I could put my hand on the intake manifold with the car running and leave it there (warm, not hot)
Upper radiator hose was warm
Oil on dipstick / under cap looked fine
No leaks at all.

So, I allowed it to cool down for a few minutes, then decided to turn back and drive it home (with an eye on the temp gauge, and the heat on full). I noticed that when I was idling / moving slowly, the temp would go up. But at expressway speeds, it dropped to normal operating temp and stayed there (never went below normal). The car drove fine - I wouldn't have even known anything was amiss unless I looked at the temp gauge.

The radiator was replaced last summer with a new one. Water pump / thermostat are unknown age / mileage. Although I would guess that the thermostat is probably OK, since the temp never went below normal when I was on the expressway.

Does anyone know what this might be? I'm suspecting either the head gasket, or water pump. God I hope it isn't the head gasket. I have no idea how I'm going to fix that here if it is. :ohdear:

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Black88GTA posted:

My SVX overheated. :(

I was out driving today, (about 50 degrees, sunny) and got stuck in traffic. Everything seemed OK, until I looked at the temp gauge, and it was at 3/4 of the way up (normally sits just below 1/2). So I pulled over as fast as I could, and took a look at things. Here's what I found...

Both fans were on, and working normally.
Overflow tank was beyond the full mark, but not bubbling / boiling or anything. In fact, I dipped my finger in it, and it was barely warm.
Radiator cap / top of radiator felt warm (not hot)
I could put my hand on the intake manifold with the car running and leave it there (warm, not hot)
Upper radiator hose was warm
Oil on dipstick / under cap looked fine
No leaks at all.

So, I allowed it to cool down for a few minutes, then decided to turn back and drive it home (with an eye on the temp gauge, and the heat on full). I noticed that when I was idling / moving slowly, the temp would go up. But at expressway speeds, it dropped to normal operating temp and stayed there (never went below normal). The car drove fine - I wouldn't have even known anything was amiss unless I looked at the temp gauge.

The radiator was replaced last summer with a new one. Water pump / thermostat are unknown age / mileage. Although I would guess that the thermostat is probably OK, since the temp never went below normal when I was on the expressway.

Does anyone know what this might be? I'm suspecting either the head gasket, or water pump. God I hope it isn't the head gasket. I have no idea how I'm going to fix that here if it is. :ohdear:

Headgasket or thermostat. I've blown the HG and had a sticking thermostat on my 2.5RS. I say thermostat because the symptoms you are talking about are the EXACT same as when mine went. Temp gauge only going up at stop lights. Someone else may have a better idea since I'm not the greatest mechanic.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
If the coolant isn't getting hot and you're overheating it sounds like the thermostat.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
So I just looked at it again, after it had cooled down all the way. I think I'm hosed.

No coolant is visible in the radiator, but the overflow tank remains nearly full, even after fully cooling down. :wtc: I blew through the hose connecting the overflow tank to the radiator - seemed a bit tough to blow through at first, but it's fine now. I sniffed the radiator fill neck with the cap off, and it smells like exhaust. As far as I know, the only thing that can make your coolant smell like exhaust is either a bad HG or cracked head / block - right? So, I think it's done.

I guess now I'll have to either read up on how to change a head gasket, or bend over and pay someone to do it / help me do it that isn't too far away. At least it got me through winter, I guess. poo poo.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams
I ordered a custom plate

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS

Chriskory posted:

I ordered a custom plate

Where in AK are you? How long did your plate take from when you ordered it? I'm thinking of getting "LIZSLY" when I find the right Forester.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Black88GTA posted:

So I just looked at it again, after it had cooled down all the way. I think I'm hosed.

No coolant is visible in the radiator, but the overflow tank remains nearly full, even after fully cooling down. :wtc: I blew through the hose connecting the overflow tank to the radiator - seemed a bit tough to blow through at first, but it's fine now. I sniffed the radiator fill neck with the cap off, and it smells like exhaust. As far as I know, the only thing that can make your coolant smell like exhaust is either a bad HG or cracked head / block - right? So, I think it's done.

I guess now I'll have to either read up on how to change a head gasket, or bend over and pay someone to do it / help me do it that isn't too far away. At least it got me through winter, I guess. poo poo.

You should really try the thermostat, if it's stuck completely closed it could explain why your overflow tank is full? If it's not that you're only out $15 or so.

FecalFajita
Jun 27, 2003
8=======D--
Well here's one way to spend $1,600...

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
What turbo?

FecalFajita
Jun 27, 2003
8=======D--
STI intercooler (used 6,000 miles)
Ebay Y Pipe
STI BPV (used 6,000 miles)
VF39 Turbo (used 6,000 miles)
STI Uppipe (used)
Invidia catted and divorced downpipe
Ebay catback, identical to GMS catback. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcvpyhELtuc)
Grimmspeed Exhaust Gaskets
GrimmSpeed 3-Port BCS

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

FecalFajita posted:

STI intercooler (used 6,000 miles)
Ebay Y Pipe
STI BPV (used 6,000 miles)
VF39 Turbo (used 6,000 miles)
STI Uppipe (used)
Invidia catted and divorced downpipe
Ebay catback, identical to GMS catback. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcvpyhELtuc)
Grimmspeed Exhaust Gaskets
GrimmSpeed 3-Port BCS

Can you post your impression of the exhaust once you install it? What are you going to do for tuning?

Hollis Brown fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 9, 2010

FecalFajita
Jun 27, 2003
8=======D--

Hollis Brown posted:

Can you post your impression of the exhaust once you install it? What are you going to do for turning?

I won't have it on for another week. But it seems like a solid piece. Good welds, design seems good. It's made from 304 stainless, though I'm pretty sure the flanges are nickle plated steel, but don't quote me on that. For the price who cares though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suba...sQ5fAccessories

Also, There's a big thread on NASIOC about it.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1708267

For tuning, I found a guy on the local Subaru forums who has a great reputation that will do it open source for $150.

http://www.bullwinkletuning.com/

FecalFajita fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 9, 2010

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I called the machine shop at the beginning of last week to ask if my stuff was done, and apparently a message was not relayed by the guy I previously spoke with on the phone because they hadn't started on my block or heads yet.

Anyway, I picked my stuff up this afternoon:

Ooooo shiny:

step one is put the rod bearings in the rods, and the rods on the crank:

Then the main bearings go in the block halves and the crank goes in:

Here are all the case bolts and new washers. The washers have an o-ring built into them since some of the bolts are in the water jacket:

o-rings for oil and coolant passages:

case halves together:

installing pistons:

Shortblock mostly done:

Then I went home. Tomorrow I should have the motor together and possibly in the car if I have time before school.

jamal fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Mar 9, 2010

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
I don't know if we've covered it before, but what tool do you use to install and remove piston pins? The SPX tool is silly expensive for somebody who doesn't regularly build engines.

FecalFajita
Jun 27, 2003
8=======D--
Just in case anyone was wondering, here's what it can look like when your turbo seals go out. This is from an 04 FXT with 138k miles.

Outside of the TD04:

Looking down the barrel:

The Y-Pipe:

And the Intercooler:

I'm looking forward to this weekend more and more...

TeamIce
Mar 16, 2004
LET JESUS FUCK YOU

Just got my full Brembo setup swapped on (Well, actually got it done like 3 weeks ago...but just got the pictures from the shop now.) Picked up the front and rear calipers from a 2006 STi for pretty cheap, and they're in good condition. I'm amazed at how much of a difference in pedal feel those plus a set of DBA Rotors and stainless steel lines has made. In the past, if I had to panic brake, I found the car shook and the steering moved around like crazy..now it's very solid and planted.

Pics, of course.

Anyone have any exhaust suggestions for a 2006 Legacy GT? I'm quickly running out of modifications I can do before I end up replacing the turbo/pump/injectors, and this worries me...but oh well. Given that I'm currently running a Perrin downpipe, I'd like to go with a full 3" Catback exhaust - not the 2.5" one like a Borla. On the other hand, I do want it to not sound excessively obnoxious, which rules out Perrin's offerings. I've been considering the Invidia, but have heard of various fitment issues. I also saw Agency Power offers one - anyone have any experience with these guys?

Edit : Agggghhh tables

TeamIce fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 9, 2010

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Dear AI,

I'm bad at working on cars.

Love,
Slow is Fast

Today I decided to install a Cobb swaybar I picked up off a local subaru club member.

I got new mounts because the 02-03 Impreza sway bar mounts are weaker and have no bracing on them.

Everything came off fine except I broke the head off one of the mount bolts in the unibody. Using extractors hasn't worked. I don't have a welder right now to weld stuff to it. I'm just holding off on it till the weekend. Any suggestions?

Here's a crappy pic:

But wait there's more!

I got the stock bar and mounts off and found this:

The cobb bar I have is quite a bit longer then the stock bar, I think have the wrong swaybar for this car. This is bad.

:smithicide:

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Anyone have experience with the JNA urethane front lip for the Bugeye? I have a Prodrive lip, not mounted yet, but everyone and their mothers has one now thanks to the Ebay knockoff one. Was looking to offload it for extra cash and throw the JNA lip on.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

ab0z posted:

I don't know if we've covered it before, but what tool do you use to install and remove piston pins? The SPX tool is silly expensive for somebody who doesn't regularly build engines.

a long screwdriver to remove them. You reach through from the other side and push them through. Much better alternative to loving around with a bent coat hanger or something to try and pull the pins out.

Installation you just get the rod lined up and tap it through with a hammer and an extension or socket or something.

jamal fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 10, 2010

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

TeamIce posted:

Just got my full Brembo setup swapped on (Well, actually got it done like 3 weeks ago...but just got the pictures from the shop now.) Picked up the front and rear calipers from a 2006 STi for pretty cheap, and they're in good condition. I'm amazed at how much of a difference in pedal feel those plus a set of DBA Rotors and stainless steel lines has made. In the past, if I had to panic brake, I found the car shook and the steering moved around like crazy..now it's very solid and planted.
The brakes are one of the things I miss the most from my STi. What sort of modifications did you have to make to get them to mount up on your Legacy? Or did they bolt right up? And do you mind telling how much 'getting them for cheap' is? Ideally, I'd love to follow suit and get a set for my Legacy.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

rears need an adapter from wrxbrakes, and dba makes a brembo rotor with the right parking brake drum.

TeamIce
Mar 16, 2004
LET JESUS FUCK YOU

I paid $400 for the front calipers, $300 for the rear...and about $300 for the front DBA 4000 rotors, and $500 for the rear rotors + adapter bracket. As far as the calipers go, it's not terribly difficult to find guys on NASIOC selling their old ones - just can be kind of hit or miss finding some in good condition. I saw a guy selling a set of fronts that looked utterly horrid, and he was standing firm for about $200 more than I paid for mine.

Instead of using the DBA rotors in the rear, I saw (unfortunately right after I ordered the adapter rotors) that someone called Onkel Racing (spelling?) makes an actual adapter for the LGT/WRX parking brake to use regular STi rotors, which are a bit cheaper and lighter than the adapter style ones.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Slow is Fast posted:

Dear AI,

I'm bad at working on cars.

Love,
Slow is Fast

Today I decided to install a Cobb swaybar I picked up off a local subaru club member.

I got new mounts because the 02-03 Impreza sway bar mounts are weaker and have no bracing on them.

Everything came off fine except I broke the head off one of the mount bolts in the unibody. Using extractors hasn't worked. I don't have a welder right now to weld stuff to it. I'm just holding off on it till the weekend. Any suggestions?
This is giving me deja vu for some reason.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

According to Nasioc, the bar I have is an STi bar, that's why it's wider. The word is I can connect it to the outside of the endlinks, but the effectiveness is reduced (still probably better then my stock toothpick bar with blown out bushings).

If this is the case, all I have to do is get that bolt out of my unibody and I'm in business.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I had to have my engine replaced on my 09 WRX 10k miles ago due to rod knock. Tonight I started the car for the first time in a few days and heard the something that sounded very much like rod knock for a second or two. I initially freaked out but the knock quickly stopped. I turned the car off and started it again with no knocking. I drove about 15 miles with no knocking. Any ideas what could be the cause? Am I in for another spun rod bearing?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I didn't get a manual with my car, so I'm curious about the penny-sized vented hole on the dashboard underneath the temperature and fan dials on my 06 WRX dashboard.

Is it some kind of sensor for the cabin temperature?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I'm having a problem with my 2003 WRX.

I hear a clunk from what sounds like the front left of the car when I turn abruptly left or if my front left tire hits a bump. The most surefire way to hear this noise is to travel at low-moderate speed and swerve hard left as if avoiding something in the road. Simply turning left at a walking pace or even highway speeds, but in a gradual turn does not produce this noise. It makes no such noise when parked and just turning the wheel.

Thoughts:

1. I installed Whiteline swaybars about 800-1000 miles ago, and maybe they are the cause.

2. This noise went from a very slight and very, very occasional thing to a constant nuisance after I hit a rather deep pothole with my front left tire hit at maybe 30mph.

3. Google tells me this may well be a blown strut or loose strut bolts or some such. How would I check that? What does a bad strut look like vs. a good one? Struts and springs are stock. Swaybars are aftermarket. End links are stock in front and aftermarket in the rear.

4. If it is a bad strut, will I cause damage if I have to drive on the car for a week before taking it to a shop?

This weekend I'm going to recheck all the swaybar bolts and see if there's any give in the bushings. It really sounds more like a thunk than a squeak, though. A cursory look under the car tells me nothing connected to the swaybars is catastrophically broken.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I didn't get a manual with my car, so I'm curious about the penny-sized vented hole on the dashboard underneath the temperature and fan dials on my 06 WRX dashboard.

Is it some kind of sensor for the cabin temperature?

ding speaker?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

It sucks air in for the auto climate control.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

bung posted:

I had to have my engine replaced on my 09 WRX 10k miles ago due to rod knock. Tonight I started the car for the first time in a few days and heard the something that sounded very much like rod knock for a second or two. I initially freaked out but the knock quickly stopped. I turned the car off and started it again with no knocking. I drove about 15 miles with no knocking. Any ideas what could be the cause? Am I in for another spun rod bearing?

Just out of curiosity, what month was your 09 built? I heard the problem was phased out about Oct-Nov 08 or so, and while I have a Mar 09, I'm always very paranoid about these sort of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

car's done finally, here are the rest of the pictures I took.

freshly rebuilt heads:

Installing heads:

Timing stuff:

It seems I put all that stuff on without taking any pictures. I did take a video of myself putting on the timing belt but I look really greasy in it plus it doesn't play right on my computer. I'll try putting it on youtube at somepoint I suppose.

Things on the bottom of the motor:

finished and in the car:

my new free wheels: