Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?

quote:

/Carrot-head monsters!

Steve: Ahhhhh I didn't want that!

I lost it here and never stopped. Brilliant.

And I thought last weeks was the best installment. Awesome, awesome series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
May I suggest a game? Maid RPG should be WTF enough for the column, seeing as the default game puts players in the roles of anime maids, and the sample playthroughs consist of rampant ephebe-lesbianism.

That said, it's also a lot of fuDON'T LOOK AT ME LIKE THAT

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

CommissarMega posted:

May I suggest a game? Maid RPG should be WTF enough for the column, seeing as the default game puts players in the roles of anime maids, and the sample playthroughs consist of rampant ephebe-lesbianism.

That said, it's also a lot of fuDON'T LOOK AT ME LIKE THAT

WTF?

Bad modules and monster manuals are one thing, but I am not sure I want anybody with any shred of humanity left reading that guide.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Holy poo poo I take it back, WH40k update has nothing on this one! Please keep up the good work!

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I'd still love to see some Rogue Trader stuff, or maybe the RAMPANT FURRY ARTWORK in just about any Werewolf the Apocalypse book.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lockback posted:

WTF?

Bad modules and monster manuals are one thing, but I am not sure I want anybody with any shred of humanity left reading that guide.

ACtually, I've given it a read and... it's surprisingly fun, though you'd have to be into anime to have a full appreciation of the in-jokes, of course. System's also quite simple, and I daresay it's a good way to pass a boring evening (in before innuendo). One of these days, I might just run a PbP game in the TG forums.

That said, I'm sure it'd be considered Something Awful (oooh, aren't I witty?) by a majority of the world, hence my suggestion that it be included for the next WTF, DnD?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

CommissarMega posted:

ACtually, I've given it a read and... it's surprisingly fun, though you'd have to be into anime to have a full appreciation of the in-jokes, of course. System's also quite simple, and I daresay it's a good way to pass a boring evening (in before innuendo). One of these days, I might just run a PbP game in the TG forums.

That said, I'm sure it'd be considered Something Awful (oooh, aren't I witty?) by a majority of the world, hence my suggestion that it be included for the next WTF, DnD?

On that note, what about the original Big Eyes Small Mouth? Some friends of mine forced me to play in in High School and I remember it being ANIME!!!!!!!!111 to the point where I couldn't stand it.

And I unironically liked Sailor Moon back then.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Wandering Knitter posted:

On that note, what about the original Big Eyes Small Mouth? Some friends of mine forced me to play in in High School and I remember it being ANIME!!!!!!!!111 to the point where I couldn't stand it.

And I unironically liked Sailor Moon back then.

For all its anime pretensions, it's only anime if you play it like that. I've played a whole gamut of settings from post-apoc to 40K (pre Dark Heresy) using BESM 2nd Edition, and it was only anime related in that I borrowed a friend's DVDs after one session. Hell, even Maid isn't all that anime; I've seen it adapted to Paranoia (Friend Computer is the Master, players are Troubleshooters, Maid uniforms are changed to Alpha Complex overalls) and lighthearted games of Dark Heresy. Mekton Zeta and Cthluhutech might be considered a bit more anime-ish, seeing as Japan has a monopoly on giant robots, but there's enough elements in each to ensure that if you're not into KAWAIIDESUNEDRILLPOWAH, you're not missing out on anything.

EDIT: And it's just occurred to me that I know far too much about this stuff.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 6, 2009

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

CommissarMega posted:

Several games of Maid have actually been run by TGers over Skype. There are recordings floating around somewhere.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
All of these were really funny. Never stop shoveling them out, please. Thanks.

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
I've really been enjoying these, keep up the great work!

I'd love to recommend a Rifts book where a lot of the robots have a gun for a penis, but I sold all of my books ages ago and you have about a 50/50 chance of picking one anyways.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.somethingawful.com/d/dungeons-and-dragons/traveller-artwork-steve.php

I've never played Traveller, but this was probably the funniest WTF DnD yet. I think it was the combination of Ducktales and Kevin Simbieda artwork that put it over the edge.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Zack and Steve re: eating farts made me fall out of my chair. I could have hurt myself, Zack and Steve! I could have been seriously injured!

(I did not really fall out of my chair but this was very funny)

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
While reading this article, I couldn't stop thinking about what rabid fans of the systems you're parodying would think. How much hate-mail do you guys get? Can we see a sampling? Or do RPG nerds somehow have a (gasp!) sense of humor?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

BiggerJ posted:

While reading this article, I couldn't stop thinking about what rabid fans of the systems you're parodying would think. How much hate-mail do you guys get? Can we see a sampling? Or do RPG nerds somehow have a (gasp!) sense of humor?
I would think that most nerds who grew up with this stuff have a playful nostalgia about how cheesy the artwork and writing was (and often still is). I know I do.

And, really, I don't think there's anyone who's still a fan of, say, the Street Fighter RPG.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

WUH-OH! WTF, ROBOBATTLETECH edition is here!

So guys, I couldn't quite tell if that last bit at the end was a joke or not, but seriously: don't do it. Please.

hilly
May 26, 2005
It sucks that the Unseen designs -- even after they cockteased us -- are still unseen.

I have a friend that designed what I call a "degenerate" mech: small, jump capable, but with a ridiculous number of machine guns. I think it was like 40. He called it the Shrike. Basically, he would jump it right in front of you and unload with everything. With 40 individual dice rolls, you're going to get a few crits here and there. Annoying as gently caress.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
Slendermech ripped me out of my mechs chest and put me in a large plastic bag.
Fantastic job as always. It makes me want to take a ruler and make random lines until a mech design appears.

Victor Surge fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 24, 2009

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.

quote:

Dorkiest Mechs of 3025

holy god YES

To be fair though, they've been totally revamped and the artwork in the revised 3050 and Project Phoenix books make them much nicer looking now :kiddo:

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.
Also, if you plan on doing any other Battletech books, for the love of god you MUST do the original 3055 Tech Readout. It has probably the worst artwork of the entire series, like painfully bad.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

This one owned completely. My favorite bit was

quote:

Zack: At least if it tips over it can shoot itself back upright.

Steve: I was just wondering who I could get to scout my ost.

as that's exactly what I thought when I was looking at it.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Victor Surge posted:

Fantastic job as always. It makes me want to take a ruler and make random lines until a mech design appears.

These mech designs are more angular & blocky than my fifth grade notebook doodles, which were more or less entirely stealth tanks, robo-mans, and X-Wings/TIE Fighters.

It's hard to pick out a dorkiest design though, they're all so indistinct.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Tuxedo Ted posted:

So guys, I couldn't quite tell if that last bit at the end was a joke or not, but seriously: don't do it. Please.

Or if this must come about : use the original, uncensored printing. Later ones removed some of the hilariously bad artwork/worst excesses of the writing.

I am a little sad that I'm versed enough in the system to know this.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
First article of the new year, kicking it old school: http://www.somethingawful.com/d/dungeons-and-dragons/steve-old-gygax.php

Good to see this series return.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Very amusing! I liked the idea of a giant making his own skintight underwear, like a Calvin Klein of the Monstrous Humanoid world.

Also that bit at the end about 4th edition. Have you considered doing a 4th ed. book? The art might be more professionally made but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be full of silly fantasy stuff to chuckle at either.

EndTimesProfit
Jul 1, 2004

Don't worry son, it's just the Smilin' Mighty Jesus!

Ha. This got a link on io9 via Boing Boing.

http://io9.com/5490963/the-original-dungeons--dragons-art-is-satanically-hilarious/gallery/

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

I have to say that

quote:

Five Unloved Odd Bodies Dead in Farty Basement Following Marathon Hobgoblin Pogrom
is one of the funniest things I've heard all week, great job again!

Any chance of doing some of the material for Spelljammer? I can provide scans if necessary.

elpintogrande
Sep 3, 2000

Thanks for the offer, but I have so many PDFs at this point there is almost no D&D product made before 3E that between us we can't cover. I even found the old monstrous compendium binder inserts for Spelljammer. Readers have also scanned in a bunch of really weird books from other RPG games. The material is plentiful.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

If you guys ever do any GURPS articles in the future, please do one on the Goblins source book. The only thing more messed up in than the Goblin social structure is the brief discussion of their reproduction.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
This was a great update guys, nice work!

a dog
Mar 10, 2007

elpintogrande posted:

I have so many PDFs at this point there is almost no D&D product made before 3E that between us we can't cover.

There's some pretty odd material from 3E too:

Blue Magic?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Just wanted to say the WTF series is my favourite stuff from the front page. Not much else to add that everyone else hasn't said.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Dolash posted:

Very amusing! I liked the idea of a giant making his own skintight underwear, like a Calvin Klein of the Monstrous Humanoid world.

Also that bit at the end about 4th edition. Have you considered doing a 4th ed. book? The art might be more professionally made but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be full of silly fantasy stuff to chuckle at either.

I really kind of like the idea of Zack and Steve as those kinds of Angry, Old School Grognard types who can't accept the changes Wizards made.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 12, 2010

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Nucleic Acids posted:

I really kind of like the idea of Zack and Steve as those kinds of Angry, Old School Grognard types who can't accept the changes Wizards made.

Or better yet, the semi-offical World of Warcraft tabletop RPG.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

HitTheTargets posted:

Or better yet, the semi-offical World of Warcraft tabletop RPG.

If that's what it took to make the game enjoyable, then I'm happy with it.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 13, 2010

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Nucleic Acids posted:

If that's what it took to make the game enjoyable, then I'm happy with it.

I don't know if you mean the WoWification of D&D or the tabletopization of WoW, but I didn't mean to lambaste anything. I meant I like the idea of Zack & Steve as diehard D&D fans who would mercilessly mock the tabletop Warcraft game.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

HitTheTargets posted:

I don't know if you mean the WoWification of D&D or the tabletopization of WoW, but I didn't mean to lambaste anything. I meant I like the idea of Zack & Steve as diehard D&D fans who would mercilessly mock the tabletop Warcraft game.

My apologies, I guess I spent too much time reading grognards.txt. Either way, I really would like to see them tackle a 4th Edition book, as even though the production values are higher than in many past cases there has to be more than enough wonky art for them.

Meningism
Dec 31, 2008
I loved the "minotaurs call it maze" exchange. There's something really special about the abrupt shut-down of a pun.

General E
Aug 25, 2003

I can't wait for the inevitable Vampire one --- all that early 90s goth-y art will be good fodder for Steve and Zack.

While I'm in here, bring back the Barbarian's Dojo, Steve!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
I'm glad you got a lot of meterial Zack because I was missing this feature. Great stuff. I dig the Pikachu tail on the Tremere's head.

• Locked thread