Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
h_double
Jul 27, 2001

trill rear end posted:

first thing i made with my new monitors :)

Pretty tight, I was half expecting that beat at the beginning to spin off into some Prince-style funk.

I think that arp-y synth could maybe stand to fit a little tighter in the mix though (maybe a little trim of the low end EQ or tighten up the reverb?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

trill rear end posted:

id say im pretty done with it

Oh TurboP what won't you do. Great as usual.

I'm going to have to recreate the main sample in this one before it's done:

INSERT COIN
Sep 26, 2007

a friend and i started an ambient/dubstep/experimental thing a few weeks back and finally have some solid material. let me know what you guys think!

https://www.myspace.com/trashfossil

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .
Couple tunes I've been working on, just wondering what you guys thought of the mixdowns. They're pretty much somewhere between techno and 2-step.

Fearian
Nov 21, 2007

TSSSSSSssssss...

Hey I've got a newbie question thats so :doh: your gonna hate it.

If I have a midi controller, Is there any kind of barebones software that would pretty much just apply VST's to what I'm playing? I know thats probably the completely wrong wording...

basically, I want to plug in the controller (USB) play notes and have sound come out my laptop. I don't mind about mixing recording or anything, just turn my laptop into a keyboard please :downs:

Before you have a whatthechrist moment, I didn't drop bux on a midi controller, its a modified toy with a usb lead and some max msp program someone made. I just want some sound other than the default windows piano noise I have going.

I figure some freeware or indie program like this has to exist someplace. Cheers!

Fearian
Nov 21, 2007

TSSSSSSssssss...

quote:

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

Ok thats just loving wierd. My name is Ian M_____ and I was born on the other side of the atlantic. Stop freaking me out please! tia! :ohdear:

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Fearian posted:

Hey I've got a newbie question thats so :doh: your gonna hate it.

If I have a midi controller, Is there any kind of barebones software that would pretty much just apply VST's to what I'm playing? I know thats probably the completely wrong wording...

basically, I want to plug in the controller (USB) play notes and have sound come out my laptop. I don't mind about mixing recording or anything, just turn my laptop into a keyboard please :downs:

Before you have a whatthechrist moment, I didn't drop bux on a midi controller, its a modified toy with a usb lead and some max msp program someone made. I just want some sound other than the default windows piano noise I have going.

I figure some freeware or indie program like this has to exist someplace. Cheers!
I haven't tried it, but I think this VST Host software should do what you want.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

Fearian posted:

Ok thats just loving wierd. My name is Ian M_____ and I was born on the other side of the atlantic. Stop freaking me out please! tia! :ohdear:

Better yet, are you Polish?

Fearian
Nov 21, 2007

TSSSSSSssssss...

IanTheM posted:

Better yet, are you Polish?

Kurwa! I'm british!

the only polish word I know :rolleyes: naturally.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I don't know what it is but I've been coming up with seemingly-decent songs way more often lately

INSERT COIN posted:

a friend and i started an ambient/dubstep/experimental thing a few weeks back and finally have some solid material. let me know what you guys think!

https://www.myspace.com/trashfossil
This is nice and chill. It's a bit too repetitive, though, particularly Spirit Remains.

Fearian
Nov 21, 2007

TSSSSSSssssss...

FLX posted:

I haven't tried it, but I think this VST Host software should do what you want.

Thanks! :) Not only is this just what I needed, but the documentation is great! It pretty much starts off by explaining what a VST is, so its exactly my speed!

cheers!

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

What do you guys think of this? I think it's a bit cluttered but I sort of like it that way. Bonus points if you know where I got the sample this is based around!

edit: holy poo poo subbass was accidentally way up on the last one

Oiled and Ready fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Mar 10, 2010

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Oiled and Ready posted:

What do you guys think of this? I think it's a bit cluttered but I sort of like it that way. Bonus points if you know where I got the sample this is based around!
I was really hoping that the bass would kick in around 8 seconds in but it's all so tinny the whole way through :(

This is the kind of song that I'd love to get the original project files for and adjust (if you use FL please please please let me take a crack at it)

Fearian
Nov 21, 2007

TSSSSSSssssss...

Yeah I was really wating for a nice low solid bass to cut through eveything or support the song, ala 4h30 by Danger http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw5pKKMGGFU

This might be a taste thing though v:shobon:v

By the way, cheers guys, I can now play smoke on the water with a guitar hero guitar and sound like muse :v:

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

FFT posted:

I was really hoping that the bass would kick in around 8 seconds in but it's all so tinny the whole way through :(

This is the kind of song that I'd love to get the original project files for and adjust (if you use FL please please please let me take a crack at it)

unfortunately I use Ableton, so I can't let you have a go - I redid the bass completely though, I don't know why I didn't spend more time on it, tell me what you think!

i think this time the snare is a touch loud, but :effort:

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
Its very possible I found this in ML, but I don't care its loving hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0IHhs4XvOo

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

mezzir posted:

Its very possible I found this in ML, but I don't care its loving hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0IHhs4XvOo
The world needs more synth humor.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

The world needs more synth humor.

I saw this a while back its the greatest thing ever!!!!

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop
this might sound awful, tryin some crazy poo poo

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

mezzir posted:

God drat, I might have to do a full EP of missy elliot remixes. Missy gets dirty or something, cause god drat. She's fuckin fun to gently caress with
edit: newer version :c00lbert:

This loving rules. How on earth did you get such a fat bass sound there? I enjoyed your instrumental as well.

Meatsplosion posted:

You can find a Focusrite Saffire 6 for around $200 and the converters/preamps in that will wipe the floor with M-Audio or Tascam. I use a Focusrite Saffire (different model) at home and it rocks. Also check out the Cakewalk/Edirol UA25EX or EMU 0404 in that price range. :)

I just picked up a Fast Track Pro, and I've gotta say, while it's a million times better than on-board sound, it's kind of crappy. The gain is super low and it just doesn't seem all that powerful.

I'm primarily going to be messing around in Ableton, but I also want to be able to record audio nicely as well. I've got very little gear right now, so I really just want something with great sound quality. Firewire or USB or even PCI is ok. Looking for something better for around $200 so I can return this thing.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
We really need a definite consensus on the best entry-level audio interface. It's so often discussed and for a while we were figuring it out, but then that disappeared.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
I've been recommending the fast track for beginners who want to record, its got a pre-amp and everything dont it? But if its actually sub-par I should probably reconsider?

I have heard nothing bad about the 0404 though

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

I've been recommending the fast track for beginners who want to record, its got a pre-amp and everything dont it? But if its actually sub-par I should probably reconsider?

I have heard nothing bad about the 0404 though

I don't think the fast track is bad, exactly, it's just definitely got some problems. For example, with dynamic mics it just doesn't have enough gain. This is a known issue, and the guy I talked to on M-Audio's tech support line's only advice was to invest in a condenser mic. I'm using a pretty crappy dynamic mic, but according to what I've read, some people have problems with the Shure SM57/SM58 which are two of the most common entry level microphones. Literally the only way to get any input is to turn the gain all the way up.

It works, but I'm betting there's a better choice. I bought it off Amazon because it was on sale, and I'd read good things, but I'm probably going to return it and try for another.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
http://soundcloud.com/psychoticbreakz/slot-machine-of-visions This is a track I was working on today, just wondering if could give me some eqing advice as I am new to all this. At the end the bass and the strings are fading in and out due to similar frequencies (?), how can I stop this?

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Minotaurus Rex posted:

http://soundcloud.com/psychoticbreakz/slot-machine-of-visions This is a track I was working on today, just wondering if could give me some eqing advice as I am new to all this. At the end the bass and the strings are fading in and out due to similar frequencies (?), how can I stop this?

you literally move poo poo out of the way. you use an eq and gain whatever you want in front and sweep the curve until you find the sweet spot where MOST of the character resides, delete the EQ and put it on what you want behind, and make a cut at that exact frequency.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

you literally move poo poo out of the way. you use an eq and gain whatever you want in front and sweep the curve until you find the sweet spot where MOST of the character resides, delete the EQ and put it on what you want behind, and make a cut at that exact frequency.

How? I know this is good advice but can you elaborate on how to do this or point me in the way of somewhere I can learn the basics?

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Minotaurus Rex posted:

How? I know this is good advice but can you elaborate on how to do this or point me in the way of somewhere I can learn the basics?

any article detailing the functions of an EQ should be able to equip you to apply that routine. I have a bunch of these saved in a rar file on a backupdrive somewhere, so I can dig it up a little later, but im sure you can find one by searching or perhaps someone else has found a good one they would want to share.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

squidgee posted:

Oh TurboP what won't you do. Great as usual.

I'm going to have to recreate the main sample in this one before it's done:

Really lovin' this. I'd listen to a whole album, for sure.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Minotaurus Rex posted:

At the end the bass and the strings are fading in and out due to similar frequencies (?), how can I stop this?

The effect you are referring to isn't an EQ problem. You're running the whole track through a compressor and it's pumping, due to the kick in particular since it's the loudest thing in the track at that point. The pumping is most noticeable on sustained sounds like the strings. The first time around with the strings they are considerably louder and the kick isn't jumping up above everything else, so it doesn't really happen then.

The solution is to make less aggressive use of the compressor. As a general rule you don't want more than a couple db reduction from a compressor on the master track, if you put one there at all.

breaks fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Mar 12, 2010

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

trill rear end posted:

this might sound awful, tryin some crazy poo poo

This is pretty cool.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I got sick of being distinctly average at making techno so I took a couple months off and decided to become the next kanye west.

http://soundcloud.com/downpour/downpour-prayer

How is it? I'm aiming for a dingy anticon/def jux thing.

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop

more new stuff

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'

cubicle gangster posted:

I got sick of being distinctly average at making techno so I took a couple months off and decided to become the next kanye west.

http://soundcloud.com/downpour/downpour-prayer

How is it? I'm aiming for a dingy anticon/def jux thing.
I like it, got a nice bass sound. Doesn't sound much like Kanye West, but take that as a compliment!

Here's a tune I've just finished working, a rough sketch at the moment, but I can't think of another element to add which would work with what I've got to drive the song forward. Any general ideas?

http://soundcloud.com/psychoticbreakz/rah-demo

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
This is something simple, silly and upbeat.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

I made this future garagey/dubsteppy thing a few days ago.

Project Lithium
Dec 24, 2003

by angerbeet
Are there any good online resources to learn Komplete 5, aside from the manual?

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Number Two Stunna posted:

I made this future garagey/dubsteppy thing a few days ago.

wow, i thought it was going to be good and it took the worst direction possible. the sample was good(very pretty lights sounding) and then the drums kick in and you just lost me.

so i suggest you make the drums just real simple kick-snare-kick-snare type deal and go from there.

just my opinion tho.

unSavory
Sep 26, 2004
fellow
Once upon a time I got kicked out of my house for purchasing a motorcycle without my parents' knowledge. This strange R&B number came out of it, which some of you may remember since I posted a critique thread about it. Here's that:

Recently I decided that the song could use an update, and that I needed a way to further grow the electro/house style I've found myself gravitating towards lately. It's amazing what a year of reading ML can do for your production. This is really still a work in progress, as there's only a verse and some extra bits. I guess I'm looking for some advice/critique before I go too far.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

Feels like it needs vocals, but everything feels like it needs vocals to me :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
Are there any books that can help someone who may be defined as music retarded to help get into learning how to make this kind of music?

The most experience I've had with actually playing music was a piano and I've stopped that a while ago, forget pretty much everything I've learned.

• Locked thread