Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

bung posted:

..Lots of brake issues..

This is the clacking noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNBmw0yBa0w
That doesn't really sound normal to me, though I'm not expert in.. anything, really. Do they have any other motards on the showroom floor you could test to see if it does the same? A little googling doesn't turn up much in the way of clacking brake noise for your type of bike. What about unhooking the right caliper off it's mounting and seeing if it still makes the noise? My thinking is that since the caliper has been replaced several times, that's obviously not the issue, but maybe what it's being mounted to (or how it's being mounted) is? Maybe a bushing was left off or something, so you've got some metal-on-metal contact. Any type of 'snapping' noise really would unnerve me.

edit: what about having a buddy lay down next to it to really try to pinpoint where the noise is coming from? That's probably what I'd do for starters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Does the hypermotard use free floating rotors? The g/f's DRZ brake kit uses fully floating rotors and they drat loud. I can hear them jingle as the bike hits bumps, and it rattles like crazy when you apply the brakes. Very mechanical sounding. My SV also had brembo brakes and you could audibly hear the brakes take up the slack and "slap" the rotor when you applied the brakes as well.

I can take a video if you'd like.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Whenever I mentioned the noise to anyone at the second shop they would always ask if it was an S. The S does has free floating rotors and it is common with these brakes. One of the service guys and one of the sales guys said that their brakes do the same thing.

I forgot to mention in the previous post what the second shop told me about the pads from the last service. They said that it looked like someone had used a flathead screwdriver to compress the pistons due to the significant gouging on the surface of the pads.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

bung posted:

I forgot to mention in the previous post what the second shop told me about the pads from the last service. They said that it looked like someone had used a flathead screwdriver to compress the pistons due to the significant gouging on the surface of the pads.

You know, I'd expect that from a shade tree mechanic (like myself :haw:) but even I have the sense to use old pads or something else to force the pads in. The guys at your first dealership may be nice guys, but their service department sounds seriously questionable.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

If it IS the floating rotors, then why wouldn't the dealership take two seconds to say "Yeah, that's normal for your bike BECAUSE" and provide a quick explanation of floating rotors and how they work. I mean, just saying "yeah, that's normal" without any explanation is just ridiculous. Maybe people in general just don't ask 'why' as much as I do, but answering a question with "because." drives me crazy.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nicest day of the year so far. Get my gear on, sit on the bike, turn the key... battery dead.

So now I'm spending the day cleaning and moisturizing my leather gear. Battery takes 8 hours to charge. Goddamnit :/

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
After a week of prep-work I got mine out, 636 had a bad ground causing the blinker to not work and now seems to be leaking coolant a bit, but I did my 100 (150) mile break-in on my new Stradas.

It's an odd feeling riding around without numb fingers and the need to piss really bad.

kylej posted:

So now I'm spending the day cleaning and moisturizing my leather gear. Battery takes 8 hours to charge. Goddamnit :/

Can't it charge while you ride (just don't stall)? Time to pick up a battery tender jr. I got one for each bike and they're always on it.

Gnaghi fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 7, 2010

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Changed the oil - when I put the oil pan under it it looked like the drain plug could possibly drop right in the hole of the pan, so I shifted it around a little to avoid that. Of course, when I took the plug out it bounced into the hole anyway. :argh: And of course it plugged it so I got oil all over the drat place under my bike. I ended up just pushing the drat thing inside the drain pan and running around like a spaz to get newspapers to keep the oil away from my tires. Dumped the oil into my car oil drain pan (which doesn't fit under my bike, unfortunately) later to get the plug back. Cleaned it all up with kitty litter and got rid of the residue with orange hand cleaner.

Looking at my shocks, it seemed that I could probably just pop the tops off to change the bushings that are really bad. Of course, that didn't work, so I ended up having to take the side bag off anyway. Also, once I got the shock off, I couldn't compress the drat thing enough to put it back on! :argh: I ended up lifting it up with a car jack (yes, I really need to get a bike jack) to let the rear tire drop enough to get it back on. Luckily my brother in-law showed up suddenly and he was able to hold the bike stable enough for me to get the fucker on again.

I wisely decided to not change the other side right now. I might just wait until I need new tires and let the shop do it.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Doctor Zero posted:

Changed the oil - when I put the oil pan under it it looked like the drain plug could possibly drop right in the hole of the pan, so I shifted it around a little to avoid that. Of course, when I took the plug out it bounced into the hole anyway. :argh: And of course it plugged it so I got oil all over the drat place under my bike. I ended up just pushing the drat thing inside the drain pan and running around like a spaz to get newspapers to keep the oil away from my tires. Dumped the oil into my car oil drain pan (which doesn't fit under my bike, unfortunately) later to get the plug back. Cleaned it all up with kitty litter and got rid of the residue with orange hand cleaner.

Looking at my shocks, it seemed that I could probably just pop the tops off to change the bushings that are really bad. Of course, that didn't work, so I ended up having to take the side bag off anyway. Also, once I got the shock off, I couldn't compress the drat thing enough to put it back on! :argh: I ended up lifting it up with a car jack (yes, I really need to get a bike jack) to let the rear tire drop enough to get it back on. Luckily my brother in-law showed up suddenly and he was able to hold the bike stable enough for me to get the fucker on again.

I wisely decided to not change the other side right now. I might just wait until I need new tires and let the shop do it.

I really can't help but laugh at your escapades. Better luck in the future? :cheers:

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
Temps hit high 40's yesterday but it was sunny! First time in a few weeks we've had sun so I took it out for the first ride of the year. Most excellent times were had, sadly no pics were though.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
Wasn't today, and it wasn't my ride, but Bunway Airlines was kind enough to loan me her DRZ-SM long enough for me and Z3N to take it down and put gas in it, and in his yellow monster.

I was a gigantic chicken, riding her bike, at night, in an unfamilar city, after I'd been (mostly) off our bikes since the middle of October. That led to an incident that is probably much more hillarious to me than it would be to anyone else.

I don't have a whole lot of 'big thumper' experience (read: None At All), so on the way back, when turning onto Z3N's street, I didn't think anything of downshifting from third to second, intending on starting WAY on the low side of the powerband, so I didn't go smashing into any of the (many, many) cars parked on the side of the street.
The DRZ, however, *did* think something of it. I let out the clutch, and we....just...kinda...stopped without any drama. Just this sensation of, "Yeah, brah? Listen. That's not how I roll, M'kay? Put on your big girl panties and grab a handful, aright?"

Riding on the sidewalk (backwards on a one way street, at that) was pretty drat fun, though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jabs posted:

Riding on the sidewalk (backwards on a one way street, at that) was pretty drat fun, though.

Supermotos: If you're not breaking at least one law when you ride it at the speed limit, you're doing it wrong!

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
I put some carbon fiber on a Honda last night, does that make me a ricer? :ohdear:

I installed a Taylormade fender eliminator kit on my CBR1000 to get rid of the horrid stock... appendage hanging off the back. The quality of the carbon fiber work was freakin great, and the weight difference between the stock unit and the taylormade was HUGE. The stock tail was a bitch to take off, but the Taylormade slipped right in with no fuss.

The only complaint I have about it is one of the supplied led turn signals was DOA -- the positive wire of the right unit wasn't connected at all. They're sealed units so I couldn't really do anything with it. I called Taylormade today and they're making it right and sending a new turn signal out to me today :).

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Z3n posted:

Supermotos: If you're not breaking at least one law when you ride it at the speed limit, you're doing it wrong!

Supermotos: What traffic? The sidewalks/parking lot/yard are wide open.

Did this again last night. Not thinking I headed out during the minor traffic we get and instead of sitting there I lane split, rode the sidewalk and cut through parking lots.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

Supermotos: What traffic? The sidewalks/parking lot/yard are wide open.

Did this again last night. Not thinking I headed out during the minor traffic we get and instead of sitting there I lane split, rode the sidewalk and cut through parking lots.

The sickness begins when you start cutting through parks.

\/\/\/--- School grounds yes. Hallways no. Cut through a warehouse once.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 9, 2010

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Spiffness posted:

The sickness begins when you start cutting through school hallways.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Spiffness posted:

The sickness begins when you start cutting through parks.

If there was a park on my commute I'm sure I would have. I have taken a short cut through a golf course...does that count?

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
Parks and golf courses are where i limit myself on a Supermoto.
That leaves evidence.
I want to be able to ride to work on footpaths and poo poo and people not ringing the cops.
My favorite maneuver is changing lanes rapidly in carpark traffic, going in front of car hoods, then up footpaths, up down in front of a hood again to get past a tight spot, such as a trailer.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I went to the DOL and somehow managed to come out with a plate for my SM450R :woop: Now I can commute on my racebike!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Zool posted:

I went to the DOL and somehow managed to come out with a plate for my SM450R :woop: Now I can commute on my racebike!

Very nice! I'm sure you'll be doing that quite a bit ;)

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma

Zool posted:

All the racebikes here are road legal :P
But i dont fancy changing my oil every week.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
I cut through a park once, and when i rounded a building in the middle i found myself looking at a police speed trap on the road i was heading too. That was awkard as all gently caress, 3 HWP Police cars, 5 or so cops and some pulled over cars staring at the weird motherfucker sitting in the middle of a public park on a motorbike, doing his best to walk the bike backwards.\

Lucky the cops where busy i think. :(

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

needknees posted:

I put some carbon fiber on a Honda last night, does that make me a ricer? :ohdear:

I installed a Taylormade fender eliminator kit on my CBR1000 to get rid of the horrid stock... appendage hanging off the back. The quality of the carbon fiber work was freakin great, and the weight difference between the stock unit and the taylormade was HUGE. The stock tail was a bitch to take off, but the Taylormade slipped right in with no fuss.

The only complaint I have about it is one of the supplied led turn signals was DOA -- the positive wire of the right unit wasn't connected at all. They're sealed units so I couldn't really do anything with it. I called Taylormade today and they're making it right and sending a new turn signal out to me today :).

Need pics of dis. I get jelly every time you post your CBR.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
made my guzzi a new windshield

old:

new:

4-5" taller, a bit wider, angled a little more back. still looks lovely. but only $16! haven't rode in it yet.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

hayden. posted:

Need pics of dis. I get jelly every time you post your CBR.

I'll take some pictures this weekend after the other turn signal comes in and I have a chance to actually wash my filthy filthy bike. I've been riding through some pretty nasty weather lately but at least I can get out and ride! Here's some really lovely cell phone pics of the turn signal Taylormade wanted to make sure they sent me the right style -- you can kinda see the new kit underneath the grime:

...the stock rear fender/hugger doesn't do poo poo to keep stuff off the bike :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I rode the DRZ to work today. On the way home, some dude yelled from his truck asking about it. :3:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Replaced the speed sensor on my SV after it not working for a month or more. Will be nice to know how much I am speeding. The teeth on the sensor were gone...did last around 38k miles though so I'm not complaining.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I slapped number plates on the Husky. Races start next month!

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

Replaced the speed sensor on my SV after it not working for a month or more. Will be nice to know how much I am speeding. The teeth on the sensor were gone...did last around 38k miles though so I'm not complaining.

When I had to tear down my Ducati to the frame, the speedometer cable was laying on the floor in the garage and one of my buddies stepped on it and broke the attaching part of it. And the KTM also doesn't have a speedometer. I think I'm just asking for speeding tickets :sigh:

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003
Not today, but this past Saturday and Sunday I got back to serious work on the Cafe-ing / Hooliganizing of my XJ600S. Finished wrapping the pipe, installed new front / rear sprockets, new chain, and started working on getting the knocking out of my clutch. And that's where I stopped.

As with most XJ600S's, there is a small pin that holds a gear on the back of the clutch basket. Over time that pin gets pressed oval and there starts a vicious knocking. I was in the process of fixing that, and I DID fix it, but I was stupid and didn't think it through and instead of fastening a new pin out of a roll pin with the stem of a pop rivet pressed down inside to spread it out, I used the base of the pop rivet itself to make the pin.

I thought the pop rivet would be a good idea since I didn't have a dremel or anything to cut the steel with. Stupid I know.

Pop rivet = aluminum and it will shear if I start my bike up. Fortunately I didn't put oil in and start it up. Unfortunately I put the whole drat thing back together and sealed up the crankcase gasket on both sides (stupid) when I installed it. I'm currently waiting on bike bandit for a new gasket so I can install the proper pin. I now have a dremel 300 and all the tools I need to make a proper pin and rid myself of the knocking. Until then it's the bus for me.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

When I had to tear down my Ducati to the frame, the speedometer cable was laying on the floor in the garage and one of my buddies stepped on it and broke the attaching part of it. And the KTM also doesn't have a speedometer. I think I'm just asking for speeding tickets :sigh:

Tested the speedo today riding to work...almost wish I didn't fix it. Turns out I've been making pretty good time to work. What I thought was 45-50 was 60, what I thought was 60 turns out to be 70.

So now the question is do I go by my speedo (which is likely off by a bit) or just go by the RPM like I have been for a month? I've ridden by plenty of cops in the past month and haven't had any issues.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

Tested the speedo today riding to work...almost wish I didn't fix it. Turns out I've been making pretty good time to work. What I thought was 45-50 was 60, what I thought was 60 turns out to be 70.

So now the question is do I go by my speedo (which is likely off by a bit) or just go by the RPM like I have been for a month? I've ridden by plenty of cops in the past month and haven't had any issues.

Just get a good GPS and dail in the correct speedo settings based on it's readings. That's how I setup my acewell. In the 2 weeks I didn't have a speedo, I ended up getting two tickets which I now have to fight. Not worth the hassle.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

xkem posted:

well there is a fair bit of wiring and stuff underneath and after a first attempt at taking them off and having a look, it looked kind of ugly and "too naked" (this was with the original faggy pipe, too) but then upon mounting the new pipe and having a second go at taking the plastic off, I was a lot happier with it and decided to keep it off. It turns quite a few heads, too.
I can't seem to make myself go without the covers, because the little black tab thingo that's hanging down bothers the hell out of me. I'd *love* it if someone would make a little plastic bit to swap that out with. I've also been thinking about taking a scroll saw to it, but I'm pretty sure I'd just gently caress that up, since it's a pretty complex shape.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift
Rode it! Got it out of the shed yesterday, and took it for a real quick spin. Tonight was about 25 miles, much at 70mph... strongly considering a windshield now. I'm totally jealous of you people with your fancy roads and your beautiful landscapes. I feel like I'm missing out here in southeast PA.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

ari.gato posted:

Just get a good GPS and dail in the correct speedo settings based on it's readings. That's how I setup my acewell. In the 2 weeks I didn't have a speedo, I ended up getting two tickets which I now have to fight. Not worth the hassle.

I have the opposite problem. My speedo is reading 85 and people are passing me in the slow lane. I'd like to pick up a speedo healer but drat what a rip-off.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Gnaghi posted:

I have the opposite problem. My speedo is reading 85 and people are passing me in the slow lane. I'd like to pick up a speedo healer but drat what a rip-off.
Back when I had my SV, I installed a bicycle speedo on it because I was sure it was way off. Very easy and cheap ($40 for the computer and $3 for rare earth magnets). You basically put the magnet somewhere onthe wheel rim, put the sensor that comes with computer in close proximity to where that magnet will pass as the tire rotates, measure the wheel circumference, input that into the computer, and you're off. Cheap, small (1"x2" wide) and as accurate as your tire circumference measurement. I may still have some pictures of the setup kicking around, if you're interested.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
I rode the Yamaha R6 from storage to my house. It was "exciting."

- First real time riding the bike
- Idling is weird because the carbs are a little gunked up. (Idling between 2000-4000)
- Rush hour traffic

Other than nearly popping a wheelie and learning about push to cancel turn signals (WHAT IS THAT BLINKING??) The ride was full of awesome!

The KZ1000P Police bike is now sold. The electrical gremlins can be someone else's problem.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Fantastipotamus posted:

Back when I had my SV, I installed a bicycle speedo on it because I was sure it was way off. Very easy and cheap ($40 for the computer and $3 for rare earth magnets). You basically put the magnet somewhere onthe wheel rim, put the sensor that comes with computer in close proximity to where that magnet will pass as the tire rotates, measure the wheel circumference, input that into the computer, and you're off. Cheap, small (1"x2" wide) and as accurate as your tire circumference measurement. I may still have some pictures of the setup kicking around, if you're interested.

Something like this? It looks pretty neat, though it might be kinda hard to read at a glance.

Edit: Actually, I'm gonna pick up the $100 Garmin soon (200 or 210 Model iirc), wire it into the bike and keep it in the map pocket of my tank bag. Don't those have a speedo function on them?

Gnaghi fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 12, 2010

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
Selling it.

Click here for the full 1914x1436 image.

Invested: $1563.15
Rode: 231 miles
Sold: $1300
ROI: -$1.14/mi

Took it for a short jaunt around the neighborhood last night. I've ridden it long enough to know that it's just not the right bike for me, but drat, I'm still going to miss it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Out of curiosity, how did you come to that conclusion?