Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

trueblue posted:

drat I just spent like an hour practising loading film into my Paterson reel with my eyes closed. I can do it pretty quickly now but I occasionally load it completely wrong and lose all confidence.

Don't worry, it gets easier!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

krnhotwings posted:

Anybody hear the news that Fujifilm is supposedly phasing out 160S, 160C, 800Z, and T64 for all sizes and Neopan 400 for 120?

Nooooooooooo!

Fuji is my favourite colour negative film, god dammit.

Well, if there's a silver lining, it's that I don't shoot colour film much anymore.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Ooh, haven't made a list like this in awhile! Probably missing something, but...

35mm
2x Olympus XA (one with a bad meter, one with fungus on one element, need to frankenstein these two together at some point)
Konica C35 rangefinder w/ 38/2.8
Yashica Electro GSN w/ 45/1.7
Pentax K1000, various lenses
Nikon N6006, various lenses
Nikon N90
Zeiss Tenax Automatic w/ 50/2.8

Mamiya 645J
old Voigtlander 6x9 folder (unknown model)
Agfa Isolette
Argoflex 75

Kodak Autographic 1A

4x5
pre-Anniversary Speed Graphic
Toyo View 45C
LF lenses: Schneider Super-Angulon 90/8, Rodenstock Ysaron 127/4.7, Zeiss Tessar 150/4.5 (w/ broken shutter), Schneider Symmar-S 210/5.6

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

krnhotwings posted:

Anybody hear the news that Fujifilm is supposedly phasing out 160S, 160C, 800Z, and T64 for all sizes and Neopan 400 for 120?

If I had a penny for every time someone on APUG claimed to have a meeting with Executive X and Product Y is getting killed off, I'd live on a moon base and have laser sharks for pets. Stranger things have happened, but APUG is chicken little central.

It's a little odd to think Fuji's spending money on a "Fuji's committed to film! Our films are awesome!" campaign and launching a new medium format camera... and then turning around and axing anything that isn't chrome. Especially when so much of the positive press and their ads have revolved around how well 160S/160C/800Z work in mixed light (which definitely isn't true of Fujichrome, blech).

"Here's a camera, now buy Kodak?" I don't know. I hope it's an early April Fool's prank. :ohdear:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
35mm:
Pentax ME w/ SMCP 35mm f/3.5
Pentax K1000 SE w/ SMCP 50mm f/1.4
Agfa Karat 36 w/ Solinar 50mm f/2.8

120:
Pentax 67, 4 lenses
SMCP-67 55mm f/4, SMCT 75/4.5, SMCT 90/2.8 LS, SMCT 150mm f/2.8

Digital:
Canon 40D w/ kit lens and 50/1.8

Not frequently used:
Rodenstock 6x4.5 folder w/ Rodenstock Trinar Anastigmat 7.5cm f/4.5 - just got, under repair
FED-5b with Industar-61 L/D 53/2.8 - just got
Yashica-D w/ Yashinon 2.8/3.5 - I'm :spergin: about focus and while my results are fine, :effort:
Yashica GSN - need to fix seals

Does anyone have direct experience with the Pentax 6x7 90/2.8 versus the 105/2.4? I started with the 90/2.8 and I'm curious if I'm missing out on anything.

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

I got a stupid cheap box of various old 35mm cameras and a couple from my family so my collection is kind of stupid right now.

35mm:
Cosina Hi-Lite DLR (with 3 M42 lenses and a really nice box) - gift
Rollei 35S - bought
Olympus Trip 35 - gift
Yashica Electro 35 MC - from the cheap box
Yashica Electro 35 - box
2x Voigtländer Vito Automatic - box
Minolta Hi-Matic E - box

Medium format:
2x Rolleicord III
Pontiac Bloc Métal 45 (really need to respool some 120 so I can test this one out)

4x5:
Graflex Super Speed Graphic

I honestly haven't even tried using the ones from the cheap box but they're pretty.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

oh, and like two or three sheets of 4x5 400nc.

have you posted any of your LF shots yet?

35mm:
Zenit E
Nikon FG20
Konica Autoflex T4

MF:
Pentax 645N

Digital:
Pentax K10D
Pentax K7

Going to a camera show next week to see if I can find a nice, cheap LF camera :)

I'm drat happy with my 645N...should probably write a review here on it. Also, I got it for $450 with back & 75 AF lens whereas it's like well over a grand anywhere else.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
I'm sorry everybody, I didn't mean to start a camera gear dickwaving derail!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
It's not necessarily a derail! You can spot people who have gear you envy and ask them what they like and don't like about it. Maybe it will result in new reviews for the review thread. :)

How do you like your GW690? I would like a review if you have time, if not, a synopsis?

I would love a GSW670 but they don't exist. I don't really need the extra negative space (I print 8x10s mostly). It's a waste, but more importantly, cropping down the negative makes it much less wide. The Pentax 67 55mm f/4 on a Fuji rangefinder body... :fap:

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

saw this fuji GX680:
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/pho/1635915270.html

God it looks sexy. Can't really justify it though :-/

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009
I posted last week wondering about a scanner for my 35mm and 120 negatives. Since I'm a cheap guy (and just spent $300 on a MF camera), I was wondering if you guys new of a cheap way of making or buying a negative holder for the scanner that's already built into my printer (a Samsung SCX-4x26). What kind of quality I can expect with this scanner if its max DPI is 600, and what would that translate in usable print size?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Properly scanning negatives requires transparency scanning (Light source opposite the CCD), not reflective (light source same side as CCD bouncing off surface). You won't get good, or really even usable results that way.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Reichstag posted:

Properly scanning negatives requires transparency scanning (Light source opposite the CCD), not reflective (light source same side as CCD bouncing off surface). You won't get good, or really even usable results that way.

seconding this, I thought I could get away without using the transparency modes and it looked terrible:

Epson V300 in reflective mode, stock importer:

Epson 3200 transparency mode, Silverfast:

Not the best shot ever, but this was my first time shooting 4x5 so I'll sweep the missed focus and exposure problems under that rug, and I think it illustrates the difference between scanning negatives in reflective mode vs transparency mode.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 13, 2010

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009
Wow, that's quite a difference. I suppose I will just suck it up and pay the lab to scan it for me instead.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
So out of curiosity, if I had a pinhole camera with an aperture of f/133, what kind of flash power would I need to get proper exposure in the dark?

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street

HPL posted:

So out of curiosity, if I had a pinhole camera with an aperture of f/133, what kind of flash power would I need to get proper exposure in the dark?

At ISO 100 at 10 feet it'd be a GN of 1330. Like three AB1600's firing with the spotlight reflector attached.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

rear end is my canvas posted:

At ISO 100 at 10 feet it'd be a GN of 1330. Like three AB1600's firing with the spotlight reflector attached.

Okay, so I'm three monolights away from finally achieving my goal of shooting a concert with a pinhole camera?

I guess I should budget for buying sunglasses for the band members.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

HPL posted:

Okay, so I'm three monolights away from finally achieving my goal of shooting a concert with a pinhole camera?

I guess I should budget for buying sunglasses for the band members.

Less than that if you put in pushed Tri-X or Delta 3200 or something.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

HPL posted:

You should have no problem as long as the band is playing on the surface of the sun.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

DRP Solved! posted:

Wow, that's quite a difference. I suppose I will just suck it up and pay the lab to scan it for me instead.

If you're just shooting 135 or 120 you can find old epsons (a generation or two old) on ebay and craigslist that will have the ability to scan negatives at completely usable resolutions for web or modest printing.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Ok, what the heck is going on here? I keep getting this dark area on the right side of my negatives. At first I thought it might be a problem with me clumsily unloading the film from the back(not keeping it wound tight enough or something), but for this roll I loaded it onto the reel straight from the film back in the dark. There's also a little lightness along the left edge of some of the photos that I am stumped on, should I agitate more or something?

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
Blue Horeshoe Loves Anacot Steel

Stregone posted:

Ok, what the heck is going on here? I keep getting this dark area on the right side of my negatives. At first I thought it might be a problem with me clumsily unloading the film from the back(not keeping it wound tight enough or something), but for this roll I loaded it onto the reel straight from the film back in the dark. There's also a little lightness along the left edge of some of the photos that I am stumped on, should I agitate more or something?

Looks underdeveloped because the reel is physically touching that part of the film thus preventing enough developer from reaching it.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Might be touching the sides/grooves of your (plastic?) reel.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

oh, and like two or three sheets of 4x5 400nc.

That's adorable :3: (by the way, how did those long exposure shots of the buildings at night turn out?)

post the filmiest refrigerators u got

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So short on money :(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

That's adorable :3: (by the way, how did those long exposure shots of the buildings at night turn out?)

shoot dat kodachrome, yo

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

theflyingexecutive posted:

shoot dat kodachrome, yo
It's cool, I found a PDF explaining how to do it yourself. Don't pay outrageous prices at Dwayne's!!!

http://www.kodak.com/global/plugins/acrobat/en/service/Zmanuals/z50_03.pdf

Look how simple they

Only registered members can see post attachments!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I need to get to the lab before I restock my film supply. It's just hard with my work schedule.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 13, 2010

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Pompous Rhombus posted:

If there's a place where I can anonymously host TIFs of about 200MB in size, I'll be glad to post some of the scans.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OK so -- C41. Who's developed it at home? Yes I realize that it's temperamental and temperature sensitive, and it might be better just to take it to a lab to do it, but I've got the hankering to just DIY.

The whole idea of not having to rely on a lab really appeals to me. I'm not a professional photog, so if the colours do fluctuate because I hosed up the temperature then it's not the end of the world.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
Blue Horeshoe Loves Anacot Steel

Martytoof posted:

OK so -- C41. Who's developed it at home? Yes I realize that it's temperamental and temperature sensitive, and it might be better just to take it to a lab to do it, but I've got the hankering to just DIY.

The whole idea of not having to rely on a lab really appeals to me. I'm not a professional photog, so if the colours do fluctuate because I hosed up the temperature then it's not the end of the world.

Are we talking about C-41 135, 120 or 4x5?

If it's 135, I'd say just take it Costco and let them process it for $2. 120 is usually only like $4. Unless you are doing a lot of it, I just don't see how it is cost effective or time effective.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006

killabyte posted:

Looks underdeveloped because the reel is physically touching that part of the film thus preventing enough developer from reaching it.

I loaded up a strip from that roll into the reel, and it doesn't contact the part of the negative with a picture on it, it only contacts the rebate part. This is annoying the heck out of me. I was hoping to use this camera a whole lot more now that the weather is getting nice :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

killabyte posted:

Are we talking about C-41 135, 120 or 4x5?

If it's 135, I'd say just take it Costco and let them process it for $2. 120 is usually only like $4. Unless you are doing a lot of it, I just don't see how it is cost effective or time effective.

120. It's not cost or time effective in the least I'm sure -- I just have a hankering to do it myself. Also my local costco won't do 120 rollfilm, and the only other place within reasonable driving distance (i.e., I won't spend more in gas than I will in developing) charges six bucks and change to just develop and cut the roll.

Edit: Actually, in my case it might just be cost effective.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I never did C41, but I used to do my own E6. If you can hold your chemistry at the right temps and use it often enough to use the chemistry before it goes bad, it's not that hard and quicker than B/W. For me, it's not worth it. Walmart will do a C41 develop only for $1.76 and I'm not sure I can do B/W for that much. Definitely not C41!

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
C-41 would be neat to do because then I could film concert shoots in colour with push processing.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think I'm going to give it a shot. Even if I don't use all the chemistry, it'll still be a neat experiment. Plus there's a LOT of expired C41 to be had in the local stores here, as opposed to B&W.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I think I'm going to give it a shot. Even if I don't use all the chemistry, it'll still be a neat experiment. Plus there's a LOT of expired C41 to be had in the local stores here, as opposed to B&W.

I could be thinking of E-6, but doesn't the chemistry for C-41 have a relatively short shelf-life once you open it? At any rate, write up a trip report; I have a ton of 4x5 C-41 in my fridge I'd love to be more profligate with. I did find a lab in Santa Barbara recommended on LFF that does 4x5 C-41/E-6 for $1.50/$1.70 a sheet, but that's still at least a week turnaround, probably more like 2.

HPL posted:

C-41 would be neat to do because then I could film concert shoots in colour with push processing.

Yeah, pro labs usually charge a fair bit extra for pushing.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I'll definitely write up a trip report once I decide what chems to buy. I'd like to buy them locally but somehow I don't see that happening.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

killabyte posted:

Do plastic reels actually touch into the image plane? I've only ever seen reel marks show up along the sprocket holes of 36mm or along the black numbered edges of 120.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trueblue
Oct 10, 2004
Can we still be friends?

This is only tangentially related to the C41 processing discussion, but I plan on trying some different techniques for processing C41 in Rodinal this week. Hopefully I find some measure of success because I have about 80 rolls of C41 film that would be too expensive to use/process otherwise.