Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Keep watching the skies to find out

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zacpol
Jan 11, 2010

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon was pretty horrible. The fact that it was later made into a children's book doesn't help much, either.

I loved Dreamcatcher, though. But, as in most cases, book>movie.
Except for the stuff they did between Jonesy and the alien. That was pretty well done.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Something I was thinking about the other day: apart from his sci-fi and fantasy stuff that's not set in the real world at all, has King ever written so much as a single scene set outside the United States?

Ortsacras
Feb 11, 2008
12/17/00 Never Forget

freebooter posted:

Something I was thinking about the other day: apart from his sci-fi and fantasy stuff that's not set in the real world at all, has King ever written so much as a single scene set outside the United States?

In It, Bill and Audra lived in London (I think - somewhere British, in any event), so the two scenes where they pack up and head to Derry are outside of the U.S.

pud
Jul 9, 2001
Crouch End was set in London too, I believe.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Yeah, King wrote a couple of stories set in the UK while he lived there, including Crouch End.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

freebooter posted:

It's not so much the United States as it is Maine.

I think I enjoy the fact that he writes about a region he knows well, though. That's why he can put all sorts of interesting mannerisms on characters.

There's a lot of authors who write about locations around the globe and everything comes out sounding like a loving tourist guide, complete with cheesy over-the-top dialects. You can't really understand a location well unless you really live there, or have a very good eye for detail and a shitload of patience.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

King focusing on Maine is also I think an homage to Lovecraft and the detailed fictional Massachusetts topography he came up with.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Chairman Capone posted:

King focusing on Maine is also I think an homage to Lovecraft and the detailed fictional Massachusetts topography he came up with.

Uh, it's probably that he's from Maine and lived in Maine for most of his life. How's that a reference to Lovecraft?

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh
King has explicitly stated, among other places in On Writing, that he got the idea to have a self-consistent set of fictional Maine towns from Lovecraft.

It's not why he writes primarily in Maine though.

Partyworm
Jul 8, 2004

Tired of partying
Finally finished Pet Semetary last night and boy am i glad i stuck with it. As someone else mentioned, those last 100 pages are some of the most intense and satisfying horror i've probably read. It's just a shame that the preceding 300 pages are some of the least engaging i've read from King. But hey, like i said, it was worth it.

Goddamn.

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Goiters can be beautiful too!

Partyworm posted:

Finally finished Pet Semetary last night and boy am i glad i stuck with it. As someone else mentioned, those last 100 pages are some of the most intense and satisfying horror i've probably read. It's just a shame that the preceding 300 pages are some of the least engaging i've read from King. But hey, like i said, it was worth it.

Goddamn.

I just finished the book a few weeks ago and seeing the movie before kind of ruined it. As I was reading the last 100 pages I already knew what was going to happen.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Some King news.

His next release is going to be a unpublished novella collection :gizz:

quote:

The moderator of the author's official site just posted on its message boards:

"I have been given permission to announce that Steve's next book titled FULL DARK, NO STARS, is a collection of 4 previously unpublished novellas and is expected to be released in November (possibly 9th, but that is subject to change). We will announce more details as they become available."

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=14167

And if you didn't know, his son, Joe Hill released a new novel yesterday.

Horns

http://www.amazon.com/Horns-Novel-Joe-Hill/dp/0061147958

northerain
Apr 8, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Horns sounds completely retarded.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

northerain posted:

Horns sounds completely retarded.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Synopsis for people too lazy to click links:

Joe Hill posted:

Ignatius Perrish spent the night drunk and doing terrible things. He woke up the next morning with a thunderous hangover, a raging headache . . . and a pair of horns growing from his temples.

At first Ig thought the horns were a hallucination, the product of a mind damaged by rage and grief. He had spent the last year in a lonely, private purgatory, following the death of his beloved, Merrin Williams, who was raped and murdered under inexplicable circumstances. A mental breakdown would have been the most natural thing in the world. But there was nothing natural about the horns, which were all too real.

Once the righteous Ig had enjoyed the life of the blessed: born into privilege, the second son of a renowned musician and younger brother of a rising late-night TV star, he had security, wealth, and a place in his community. Ig had it all, and more—he had Merrin and a love founded on shared daydreams, mutual daring, and unlikely midsummer magic.

But Merrin's death damned all that. The only suspect in the crime, Ig was never charged or tried. And he was never cleared. In the court of public opinion in Gideon, New Hampshire, Ig is and always will be guilty because his rich and connected parents pulled strings to make the investigation go away. Nothing Ig can do, nothing he can say, matters. Everyone, it seems, including God, has abandoned him. Everyone, that is, but the devil inside. . . .

Now Ig is possessed of a terrible new power to go with his terrible new look—a macabre talent he intends to use to find the monster who killed Merrin and destroyed his life. Being good and praying for the best got him nowhere. It's time for a little revenge. . . . It's time the devil had his due. . . .

Why do book synopses always need some terrible pun right at the end?

northerain
Apr 8, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

quote:

Ignatius Perrish spent the night drunk and doing terrible things. He woke up the next morning with a thunderous hangover, a raging headache . . . and a pair of horns growing from his temples.

At first Ig thought the horns were a hallucination, the product of a mind damaged by rage and grief. He had spent the last year in a lonely, private purgatory, following the death of his beloved, Merrin Williams, who was raped and murdered under inexplicable circumstances. A mental breakdown would have been the most natural thing in the world. But there was nothing natural about the horns, which were all too real.

Once the righteous Ig had enjoyed the life of the blessed: born into privilege, the second son of a renowned musician and younger brother of a rising late-night TV star, he had security, wealth, and a place in his community. Ig had it all, and more—he had Merrin and a love founded on shared daydreams, mutual daring, and unlikely midsummer magic.

But Merrin's death damned all that. The only suspect in the crime, Ig was never charged or tried. And he was never cleared. In the court of public opinion in Gideon, New Hampshire, Ig is and always will be guilty because his rich and connected parents pulled strings to make the investigation go away. Nothing Ig can do, nothing he can say, matters. Everyone, it seems, including God, has abandoned him. Everyone, that is, but the devil inside. . . .

Now Ig is possessed of a terrible new power to go with his terrible new look—a macabre talent he intends to use to find the monster who killed Merrin and destroyed his life. Being good and praying for the best got him nowhere. It's time for a little revenge. . . . It's time the devil had his due. .

Sounds like some lovely fanfiction or something.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
To be fair, the synopsis for Heart-Shaped Box wasn't much better.

quote:

Ageing rock star Judas Coyne spends his retirement collecting morbid memorabillia, such as a witch's confession, a real snuff film, and, after being sent an e-mail directly about an item online, a dead man's suit. He is told, by the daughter, that the old man's spirit is attached to this funeral suit, and will go wherever it does, and so buying this suit would effectively be buying a poltergeist. Judas cannot pass up this opportunity, and soon the suit arrives in a heart shaped box. After various odd occurances happening to not only himself, but also his 'girlfriend', nicknamed 'Georgia', at the time, his assistant, Danny, and even his dogs, he realises that he did not choose this suit - it chose him, and it belonged to the father, Craddock McDermott, of a suicidal groupie, nicknamed 'Florida', Judas cast aside years ago. The father's dying wish was to be allowed to seek revenge on this rock star who caused his little girl to die. Judas now has to come up with a plan to save himself, and those around him, before Craddock has his posthumous revenge.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Sporadic posted:

To be fair, the synopsis for Heart-Shaped Box wasn't much better.

And trying to describe some of the short stories in 20th Century Ghosts makes you feel a little silly too "There's this little boy who's inflatable..." or "There's this kid who turns into a giant mutant cockroach...". But the stories themselves were excellent.

northerain
Apr 8, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Irisi posted:

And trying to describe some of the short stories in 20th Century Ghosts makes you feel a little silly too "There's this little boy who's inflatable..." or "There's this kid who turns into a giant mutant cockroach...". But the stories themselves were excellent.

Personally, I thought he didn't really do anything with the ideas in the stories.

This guy collects last breaths in a museum. A family visits, lady gets freaked out, runs away, gets hit by car. Man collects last breath. The end.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Irisi posted:

Or from Skeleton Crew, the story The Raft - an EVIL OIL SLICK!!

Which turned out to be pretty loving freakish nightmare fuel.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Goreld posted:

Or from Skeleton Crew, the story The Raft - an EVIL OIL SLICK!!

Which turned out to be pretty loving freakish nightmare fuel.

The Moving Finger is a story about a finger that moves. I hope this isn't a spoiler for anyone.

What was the scary monster in Dedication? I mean, the magical retard of the story was obviously the stained sheets themselves.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
Thought I'd put on my cool kid glasses and show off my Stephen King related tattoo. It connects two of my favorite books from him, kudos if you know what it means.
edit: er, oops, I just noticed the picture is mirrored. So imagine it the right way instead of the wrong way.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Troposphere fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 11, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Troposphere posted:

Thought I'd put on my cool kid glasses and show off my Stephen King related tattoo. It connects two of my favorite books from him, kudos if you know what it means.
edit: er, oops, I just noticed the picture is mirrored. So imagine it the right way instead of the wrong way.

Kamikaze?

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

cheerfullydrab posted:

Kamikaze?

har har.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ortsacras
Feb 11, 2008
12/17/00 Never Forget
Nice. It also looks a bit like a ballerina pirouetting while holding a bird in one outstretched hand.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Troposphere posted:

har har.

Well I hope you at least got the reference.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

cheerfullydrab posted:

Well I hope you at least got the reference.

I didnt get it.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
The symbol is in It and Under the Dome, which kind of ties the two together which is cool. That's a page from It, near the end.

It's kind of very nerdy. But Stephen King really influenced me and It is one of my favorite book so I thought it'd be a nice subtle tribute.

Of course everyone thinks it's kanji but I can live with that I guess haha.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I didnt get the kamikaze joke

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

northerain posted:

Personally, I thought he didn't really do anything with the ideas in the stories.

This guy collects last breaths in a museum. A family visits, lady gets freaked out, runs away, gets hit by car. Man collects last breath. The end.

You deliberately left out the best part of that story. "Not everyone likes what they hear with that one" and the preceding story of how it was obtained was incredibly freaky, I thought.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Hedrigall posted:

I didnt get the kamikaze joke

Insomnia

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Love the tat, count me as one catching the reference.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Would anyone else have enjoyed a Stephen King-involved anthology series of the Twilight Zone/Tales From the Dark Side/Tales From the Crypt/Outer Limits type which uses that freaky extra dimensional tale-telling club that appeared in only one of his stories as a framing device? Because I sure as heck would.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

cheerfullydrab posted:

Would anyone else have enjoyed a Stephen King-involved anthology series of the Twilight Zone/Tales From the Dark Side/Tales From the Crypt/Outer Limits type which uses that freaky extra dimensional tale-telling club that appeared in only one of his stories as a framing device? Because I sure as heck would.

That club did show up a second time! I forget where the second time was, it might have been in Just After Sunset.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

fishmech posted:

That club did show up a second time! I forget where the second time was, it might have been in Just After Sunset.

Hmm, I don't remember reading another story about them.

I'm about to start Lisey's Story, the only King book I have never read. Without spoiling it for me is there anything I should know about it before I start? Isn't it supposed to be terrible?

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
The tale-telling club showed up in Different Seasons for "The Breathing Method" and in Skeleton Crew for "The Man Who Would Not Shake Hands". And I agree, I always wanted to see the club show up again in another story or novel, but it never did. (Although fishmech might be right, it might have been in Just After Sunset -- I haven't read that yet.)

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

The tale-telling club showed up in Different Seasons for "The Breathing Method" and in Skeleton Crew for "The Man Who Would Not Shake Hands". And I agree, I always wanted to see the club show up again in another story or novel, but it never did. (Although fishmech might be right, it might have been in Just After Sunset -- I haven't read that yet.)

I remembered it from "The Man Who Would Not Shake Hands" but not that it was used in "The Breathing Method".

Poor "Method", the only story from that book that hasn't been made into a movie.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

cheerfullydrab posted:

Isn't it supposed to be terrible?
It loving sucks. Worse than Cell. Worse than anything.

It sucked so bad I STILL haven't been able to bring myself to read Duma Key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

iostream.h posted:

It loving sucks. Worse than Cell. Worse than anything.

It sucked so bad I STILL haven't been able to bring myself to read Duma Key.

Ah, crud. I hated, hated, hated Cell. I haven't heard anything about Lisey's Story except what I've read from the back of the copy I just bought and vague things in this thread and elsewhere about how bad it is. I've tried to ignore people talking about it up till now.