Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
One day i will own a 1:5 or similar gasoline RC car, until then, i will just continue to gently caress about with tiny 1:10 short course trucks

EDIT: since i believe in top of the page being more than two lines of text, i'm just gonna say that i bought an LRP A.I REVERSE PRO ESC today, and it works great, unlike that other ESC on the last page, which burned to death.

Frobbe fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 11, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

You guys are probably pros at charging LiPO at this point so let me ask you a quick question.. I've made a 1 deans to 6 JST female plugs adapter to charge 6 JST male plug-modified 400mah 1s 10c batteries. Do I need to add a balance plug in there somehow to utilize that? Do they exist for 6 cells?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Sounds like you wired them in parallel, right?

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

kuffs posted:

Sounds like you wired them in parallel, right?

Yeah, they are in parallel at the moment, I'd need to add the white connector found here? What is it called and where could I find that?

Edit: Strange, this site doesn't list 6s as a choice even though I have a 6s charger (with a 6s balance plug available..). That said it gives me a good idea of how to plug all this up. I basically plug the black leads of the balance plug in between each battery connections. Correct?

I still have to find somewhere to buy the 6S balance connector. Any idea?

Edit2: is this what I want?

IsaacNewton fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 11, 2010

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
if you've actually wired them in parallel and not in series you do not need a balance connector. In fact, I think wiring a balance connector on a parallel setup would likely screw up your charger.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

kuffs posted:

if you've actually wired them in parallel and not in series you do not need a balance connector. In fact, I think wiring a balance connector on a parallel setup would likely screw up your charger.

I've read that you need to balance charge when you have more than one battery connected to prevent overcharging a battery. (assuming the batteries aren't all at the same level) I'll redo my wiring in series if I find the proper balance charge plug.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
You're missing key details of the equation. 'More than one battery' is not enough information to make a decision. You don't need to balance a parallel connection because it behaves like one big high-capacity battery. That's why 2S2P batteries only have a 2S balance plug. Some chargers don't have the ability to charge below a given capacity, which is why most small battery adapters wire everything in parallel.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Worth adding that the terminology breaks down to

* S - Series wired
* P - Parallel wired

So a 2S3P pack looks like this

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

I assumed it would be easy, sorry about that.

So, I have a IMax b6. (I know.. bad, bad chinese knock off, but it was cheap) I'm pretty sure 400mah 10c per 'cell' is beyond its bottom limit. (it goes down to .1 amp)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I haven't actually charged an R/C lipo yet (I just got my Turnigy 30C 5200 mAH 2S packs here on my desk!) but my understanding is most, if not all, can be charged easily at 1C - which would be 0.4A. Even then, 0.1A would let you charge those at 1/4C.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I think IOC is right. You might double-check your manual if it's not too engrish.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kuffs posted:

I think IOC is right. You might double-check your manual if it's not too engrish.

The levels of cheapness on some of this stuff is hilarious - the labels on my Dynam DC6 chinachargers still list AC input, even though only one of their models has that built in.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

The manual doesn't go into much details about LiPo charging.

I'm confused about what all this means though, should I make a 3S2P then?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Oh, on that same note - if you've wired them all as parallel when charging, you have a 1S6P pack. You shouldn't need a balancer, and your effective capacity is now 6*400 mAh = 2400 mAh. So, charging at 1C on that would be 2.4A.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
IOC is right on top of this.

IssacNewton, what's going on dude? I don't understand how you're jumping to these conclusions. Your 1S6P pack that you made in the very beginning is fine. Despite whatever blanket statement someone made on another forum, you do not need a balancer for a parallel pack.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

I figured a 1s6p wouldn't charge all the batteries equally, and there's no chance in hell I'll be un charging all the batteries equally.

LiPo batteries are scaring me now that I saw those hellish fires videos.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
Any of you guys ever check out the nutjobs who do custom scale vehicles like the guys at http://www.scale4x4rc.org/home/ ? There is some amazing work on their forums. Keep in mind these models are not kits, they are custom built rigs made from scratch built and scavenged parts requiring hundreds of hours of fabrication and a monastic like dedication to celibacy.

Click here for the full 1008x691 image.

http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32426

Click here for the full 710x1310 image.

http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11546

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17133

http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29135

Hand Made Unibody Frame and Body

http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30045&page=29

Those of you who think buying a RTR off Tower is dorky need to check this poo poo out and turn in your nerd cards at the door.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17133

I've seem a similar project like this one and it was awesome. I think all this scale crawling stuff is amazing. I just don't really have the time to sit and fab like these guys do.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
stuffed the new ESC and my old 15.5T brushless motor into my SC10, it works great! although it's not as zippy as my Tamiya DT-02 with the old 17T brushed engine from the SC10, but i suspect that's due to the gearing.

alas, i have no more money this month for toys, so i'll have to order all the neat stuff i want from integy and others later.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Frobbe, brushless motors are geared for temperature, not necessarily speed / acceleration. Check this out http://www.comeseethis.com/gearing/Default.aspx

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Kuffs, sending you a PM regarding that 3PM :)

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

So i'm thinking of buying my friend's nitro Revo for $250. It's, iirc, the 2.5, comes with starter, charger, 2 different bodies, remote, etc. etc. All the goodies.

What i'm wondering is, do Revos use a certain special body type, or can I mount just any old 1/10 scale to it? I know right now he has an Escalade EXT body on it, but i'm wondering if I could put, say, a K5 Blazer or something else on it as long as it's 1/10 scale.

And if so, does anyone know where I could get a mid-late 90's S10 Blazer body in 1/10 scale? I have plans, you see...

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
well now, i've got some sort of Thunder Tiger Nitro car incoming, although i havent the faintest idea which model it is!

any links to particularly informative resources regarding care and feeding of nitro powered RC cars?

it's this particular car, i got it for 80 bucks, so i don't really care that i dont actually know what it is, but i am told it runs nicely.

Click here for the full 930x698 image.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Frobbe posted:

well now, i've got some sort of Thunder Tiger Nitro car incoming, although i havent the faintest idea which model it is!

any links to particularly informative resources regarding care and feeding of nitro powered RC cars?

it's this particular car, i got it for 80 bucks, so i don't really care that i dont actually know what it is, but i am told it runs nicely.

Click here for the full 930x698 image.

That looks to me like an older EB4 buggy that has been modified to take super nitro 1/8 bodies like their newer SP2 Rally. Here's some Nitro whitepapers from RC Tech to get you started. http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/295491-break-bible.html http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/295490-tuning-bible.html Should be a fun car when you get it running.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Krushgroove, what is this thing? http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1210201

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

kuffs posted:

Krushgroove, what is this thing? http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1210201

Notice the brake lines and calipers, they're real. If only I had a place to run one.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Yeah, I think it's one of the nicer cars. But the way the guy talks about it, it feels like it's too good to be true. Who spends 'thousands' and doesn't know what they have and doesn't paint the body?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Looks like an FG clone, could be a real FG (meaning good alumminum) but very easily could be a clone (meaning soda can aluminum). No pipe on it, which most FG's have that have that much alloy on there, but whatever. There's no kit ID but I'd imagine that since he doesn't say what it is, it likely an FG clone.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
And krushgroove talks sense into me as hoped. Where the hell would I run such a thing anyway?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I'm no expert on the large scale stuff :) If you *really* want it ask the dude in his thread (where he'd have to answer out in public, so to speak). But consider shipping costs too! I'm selling off some large scale things I'll never have the space to run in, nor the money to keep up with tires or the friends to drive with! I think the best thing about large scale stuff is that pump gas is so much cheaper than nitro fuel.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I just like how the larger parts makes them easier to work on. My local RC crew is getting pretty heavy into Bajas. I'd have to get something 4wd myself, and then there's the question of how to haul that fucker to the bash site.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

I just received my batteries and I'm going to try to charge them in parallel. Do I have to set the charger to the amp and voltage of one battery or do I calculate the total amperage / voltage and set that? I'm leaning toward the first (amp and volt of one cell) but I'd rather make sure..

I'll be monitoring these batteries as they charge. Thanks again for the help..

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Parallel adds current, series adds voltage.

What's the charge rating on an individual cell? 1C?

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

They are 20C (2C?) cells, 3.7v. Though I don't mind charging them at 1C.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

kuffs posted:

I just like how the larger parts makes them easier to work on. My local RC crew is getting pretty heavy into Bajas. I'd have to get something 4wd myself, and then there's the question of how to haul that fucker to the bash site.

Just be wary of the clone cars (King Motor, etc.) - these are copies (and not pumped out in the HPI factory under a different name, like an early rumor guessed) and while I can understand the appeal of the cheap price, you do get what you pay for :)

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
1C is a good safe number. 400mAh each, right?

So, 1C * 400mAh * 6 = 2.4A charge rate

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

krushgroove posted:

Just be wary of the clone cars (King Motor, etc.) - these are copies (and not pumped out in the HPI factory under a different name, like an early rumor guessed) and while I can understand the appeal of the cheap price, you do get what you pay for :)

Nah, I'm not buying a clone. I know I advocate cheap Chinese LiPos all the time. But there *is* a real difference with the cars themselves. I saw a few horror stories about the servos in some of those going out in the first 5 minutes.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

kuffs posted:

1C is a good safe number. 400mAh each, right?

So, 1C * 400mAh * 6 = 2.4A charge rate

@ 3.7v?

I'm sorry if I'm annoying with my questions.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Talked to an acquintance, he told me had an old car in his basement, gave me this:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

that's an Ansmann Racing Virus with a .21cc engine, it hasnt run for a few years, so i am currently checking it over. from what i can see, the rear shocks need to be rebuilt/replaced, whatever's cheaper, and then the fuel tank needs to be cleaned and i need an airfilter.

still, it's cheap! because free is cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
drat, people are just throwing cars at you :)

Don't forget you'll need to rebuild the engine most likely, but since parts will probably be very hard to find you may as well find a easy to run and cheap .21 engine that is well-supported, like a Reedy, HPI, or something else.