Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

I am looking for some good westerns, preferably a bit more actioney (Tombstonesque) than not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

butros posted:

I am looking for some good westerns, preferably a bit more actioney (Tombstonesque) than not.

Have you checked out the Western Primer?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3177262

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Mung Dynasty posted:

Can y'all suggest some films with a broody, quiet, badass male lead that's legitimately cool and/or engaging and not like Vin Diesel or some vampire anime fag. Something like Michael Corelone from The Godfather, or to a somewhat lesser extent, Nikolai from Eastern Promises. Any genre will do, but some sort of action, thriller, crime drama, or anything else lending itself to tense moments would be great.

I know a bunch of good ones have been posted already, but you definitely need to check out Get Carter (the one with Michael Caine, not the Stallone remake). Also, you might like Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai. It's definitely arthouse, but it's definitely part of that style of film, even if it's a unique spin on it. It's one of my all-time favorite movies, but I can definitely see people finding it ridiculous. (Also, it would give you one that's more modern.)

For another more recent one, you should check out The Limey.

TheBluePill
Mar 5, 2010

ClydeUmney posted:

I know a bunch of good ones have been posted already, but you definitely need to check out Get Carter (the one with Michael Caine, not the Stallone remake). Also, you might like Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai. It's definitely arthouse, but it's definitely part of that style of film, even if it's a unique spin on it. It's one of my all-time favorite movies, but I can definitely see people finding it ridiculous. (Also, it would give you one that's more modern.)

For another more recent one, you should check out The Limey.

I'll vouch for Get Carter and The Limey they are both good films.

The scene with Michael Caine coolly walking out of the house onto the street naked with a shotgun in tow is pretty frickin awesome.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

InfiniteZero posted:

Have you checked out the Western Primer?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3177262

Thanks, sorry for making GBS threads up the thread.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

butros posted:

Thanks, sorry for making GBS threads up the thread.

Nah, it's not really making GBS threads up the thread if you're not here regularly. I think that primer has fallen back a few pages so how would you have known? We should have more primers in CineD, I haven't noticed a new one in a while.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

InfiniteZero, you know how to pick some hosed up films. I just finished watching Cannibal Holocaust. That is literally the only film that has gotten me close to vomiting. I don't know how I managed to sit through it, but man that was hardcore as hell. I'm gonna check out the other films you recommended, but if they're about as bad, I don't know if I can handle them.
Edit: I'm saying thanks for doing such an excellent job fulfilling my request, by the way.

oh uckfay
Apr 29, 2007
I'm a fan of 90's era cyberpunk movies, think Hackers and Existenz .

Is Strange Days(http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114558/) worth checking out?

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

ClydeUmney posted:

Also, you might like Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai.

Coincidentally, I rented this a few days ago because I remember it seeming really cool when it was first released, but totally forgot about it until I was reminded about it when browsing. Haven't gotten to it yet, but I'll hopefully get a chance to watch this and some of the other suggestions tonight.

Thanks, guys.

Flutch
Jun 26, 2008

Looking for films that are similar to Godard's Weekend.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Flutch posted:

Looking for films that are similar to Godard's Weekend.

You should probably just stick to more Godard, there's not a whole lot out there like him. If you like Weekend, these might appeal to you:

2 or 3 Things I Know About Her
Made in USA
Pierrot le Fou
Contempt
Masculin, Feminin
Tout Va Bien
Vivre Sa Vie
A Woman Is a Woman
Le Petit Soldat
Les Carabiniers

You might also like William Klein's stuff, especially Who Are You, Polly Maggoo?.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
Just seconding the recommendation for Vivre Sa Vie (My Life To Live). It might be because I love Anna Karina to an extreme degree but I could watch that movie 100 times.

Anyhow, I was looking for movies that take place in San Francisco. My favorite thing about Vertigo is, oddly, the scenery.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

the Bunt posted:

Anyhow, I was looking for movies that take place in San Francisco. My favorite thing about Vertigo is, oddly, the scenery.

Any specific type of film? There are lots of films that take place in San Francisco, anything from Harold & Maude to Point Break and then to The Graduate and Big Trouble In Little China and back again.

Doesn't The Maltese Falcon take place there as well?

(confession: I really just wanted to recommend The Maltese Falcon and Point Break in the same post)

EDIT -- and I guess if you want to watch movies that take place in an around San Francisco but you don't really like the place, you could always watch Zodiac.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

InfiniteZero posted:

Doesn't The Maltese Falcon take place there as well?

There's a bunch of San Francisco noir, it's right behind LA and NY.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Apologies, I don't particularly care about the type of movie, just a film with a lot of exteriors showing the city off.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Medicine for Melancholy has some great San Francisco footage.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

the Bunt posted:

Apologies, I don't particularly care about the type of movie, just a film with a lot of exteriors showing the city off.

The Lineup has a lot of great location shots, and is a kickass movie to boot.

If you don't mind something terribly :smith: then The Bridge really shows off the GG Bridge beautifully.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
Well we can't forget that The Room takes place in San Francisco then, can we?

Sure, some of those other movies have some scenes in the city, but do any of them have guys playing football on the street in tuxedos in San Fran? I think not.

Seriously though, from my first list, I'd argue that Harold & Maude and Big Trouble In Little China (obviously in Chinatown here) actually have some nice shots of San Francisco scenery in them. The Maltese Falcon is probably all done on a studio backlot made to look like San Francisco (I haven't seen it in years so I can't say for sure).

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 12, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

You might find this list helpful, too.

You know, I've seen Harold & Maude about a dozen times and I don't think it ever registered that it was set in San Francisco. Or maybe I just forgot. I'm not very observant sometimes.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

InfiniteZero posted:

Well we can't forget that The Room takes place in San Francisco then, can we?

Sure, some of those other movies have some scenes in the city, but do any of them have guys playing football on the street in tuxedos in San Fran? I think not.

Seriously though, from my first list, I'd argue that Harold & Maude and Big Trouble In Little China (obviously in Chinatown here) actually have some nice shots of San Francisco scenery in them. The Maltese Falcon is probably all done on a studio backlot made to look like San Francisco (I haven't seen it in years so I can't say for sure).

Big Trouble in Little China is like 90% indoors though. One of my favorite movies, though. Thanks everyone!

Pickpocket
Dec 16, 2005

oh uckfay posted:

I'm a fan of 90's era cyberpunk movies, think Hackers and Existenz .

Is Strange Days(http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114558/) worth checking out?

Yes, very cool movie. Bigelow's best though that's really not saying much.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
"Our Family Wedding" is pretty drat good Romedy. Whitaker belongs in more comedies.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

FitFortDanga posted:

You should probably just stick to more Godard, there's not a whole lot out there like him.

Mike D'Angelo talks about this in his AV Club review of A Woman Is A Woman. I particularly like this quote:

"Mike D'Angelo posted:

...Godard’s early work, despite being a total game-changer, has not in fact appreciably changed the game.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Mung Dynasty posted:

Coincidentally, I rented this a few days ago because I remember it seeming really cool when it was first released, but totally forgot about it until I was reminded about it when browsing. Haven't gotten to it yet, but I'll hopefully get a chance to watch this and some of the other suggestions tonight.

Thanks, guys.

If you liked Ghost Dog you should definitely check out the two films that were a major influence on it: Seijun Suzuki's Branded to Kill and J.P. Melville's Le Samourai, especially the latter as Alain Delon is the very definition of cool.

Also the term "badass male lead" brings two people immediately to mind: Charles Bronson and Lee Marvin. You've gotta see Marvin try to collect his money in Point Blank.

FranticDisposition
Mar 9, 2010
I recently rewatched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang for the nth time, and I absolutely love it. Are there any movies that are similar in terms of tone and style of comedy? The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are In Bruges and Guy Ritchie's first two movies, which I also really like, although I'm sure there are more.

northerain
Apr 8, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
I might have asked this again, but do any of you know of any good movies that take place in the American frontier expansion era?

I've seen The Burrowers and Ravenous, that are actually horror movies around that time, but I'll go for anything.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

terrorist plumber posted:

I recently rewatched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang for the nth time, and I absolutely love it. Are there any movies that are similar in terms of tone and style of comedy? The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are In Bruges and Guy Ritchie's first two movies, which I also really like, although I'm sure there are more.

The Last Boy Scout is written by Shane Black (who wrote and directed Kiss Kiss), and while it is a much more conventional action movie than Kiss Kiss, it has some pretty funny one-liners and interplay between mismatched partners Bruce Willis and Damon Wayans, as well as some good violence and badass moments.

If you like that, try The Long Kiss Goodnight, another Black-written action movie that teams up Geena Davis and Samuel L. Jackson. It has some funny parts too, mostly thanks to Jackson.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

northerain posted:

I might have asked this again, but do any of you know of any good movies that take place in the American frontier expansion era?

I've seen The Burrowers and Ravenous, that are actually horror movies around that time, but I'll go for anything.

Ain't a movie, but if you haven't seen it, the HBO series Deadwood would definitely be up your alley.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

terrorist plumber posted:

Maybe Out of Sight or Get Shorty, both based on Elmore Leonard books.

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!

Mung Dynasty posted:

Picked up Le Samouraï this evening. Hopeully I'll get a chance to watch it this week. Will hunt down the others, too. It seems like a lot of these sorts of characters - with the exception of my Eastern Promises example - are found more in the earlier years of cinema. There's something really swell about a character that's cold and hardcore but makes you hang on their every word in hopes of some glimmer of humanity. Did people forget how to do this or did it just go out of style? If there's some recent examples, I'd like to peep them as well.

It went out of style. If you look closely at those films they've mostly got one thing in common: a love of early American cinema, and that meant either Noir or Western. Kurosawa is well know for his love of Ford, and Melville also. The latter liked to place Noir and Western archetypes in a french gangster setting and then play with the genres. It then spun around and you had US film makers with a love of those films taking it in a different direction from those homages. I have in mind to write thread on this, but I suspect that most people are familiar with it anyway.

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?
I just recently started film school, and really want to do noir-esque films. I've seen the majority of the classics (Touch of Evil, Maltese Falcon, Notorious, etc.), now I'm looking for more neo-noir movies from the last ten years or so. I loved Brick, especially the dialogue, and am wondering what other movies have a similar feel.

Also, if anyone has any recommendation for movies with incredible cinematography. What inspired me to go to film school was watching There Will Be Blood and No Country for Old Men within a few days of each other. Never really cared about cinematography before I saw those, and now I can't get enough of the good stuff.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

knees of putty posted:

I have in mind to write thread on this, but I suspect that most people are familiar with it anyway.

I'd be down to read. I've always loved movies, but this style and era are pretty new to me. It's been a pleasure to find that not all old movies are boring, overrated pieces of poo poo and there's now this whole unexplored era for me. I think what really set it off was finally seeing the Godfather trilogy for the first time late last year and wanting more things like that.

Le Samouraï was also fantastic.

Cailin Rua posted:

Also, if anyone has any recommendation for movies with incredible cinematography. What inspired me to go to film school was watching There Will Be Blood and No Country for Old Men within a few days of each other. Never really cared about cinematography before I saw those, and now I can't get enough of the good stuff.

This is a typically goony response, but I really liked the way the latest Harry Potter looked. I can't imagine really getting into the movie itself unless you've watched the whole series, but it is really pretty. If awards poo poo matters to you, the DP, Bruno Delbonnel, was nominated for an Oscar for his work on it. I'm sure I could provide some other examples but this one is freshest in my memory.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Cailin Rua posted:

Explore specific cinematographers work. Find movies you like the look of on IMDB, and see what other stuff the cinematographer has done. Also watching parts of movies you like without sound, so you can just focus on how the story is being told visually, is very helpful.

To get you started, I suggest taking a look at films done by Tak Fujimoto. To name a few, he did Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Pretty in Pink, as well as The Sixth Sense, Signs and The Happening. He's also worked on many other genres.

The Happening gets poo poo on a lot for the story and the acting, but it's pretty gorgeous to look at. If you're not a fan of it, mute it and watch a few sequences that way. It's one of my favorite films visually in the last few years.

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?

codyclarke posted:

Explore specific cinematographers work. Find movies you like the look of on IMDB, and see what other stuff the cinematographer has done. Also watching parts of movies you like without sound, so you can just focus on how the story is being told visually, is very helpful.

To get you started, I suggest taking a look at films done by Tak Fujimoto. To name a few, he did Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Pretty in Pink, as well as The Sixth Sense, Signs and The Happening. He's also worked on many other genres.

The Happening gets poo poo on a lot for the story and the acting, but it's pretty gorgeous to look at. If you're not a fan of it, mute it and watch a few sequences that way. It's one of my favorite films visually in the last few years.

Thanks for the tip about IMDB, it hadn't even occurred to me. I've seen the movies you suggested, but it's been awhile so I'll have to check them out again. And I liked the way The Happening looked too. The story was a wee bit silly, but it sure did look good.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that appreciated the tone of The Happening. It started out good and I remember thinking "oh gee this isn't nearly as bad as people made it out to be" but after about 10 minutes the movie went absolutely loving retarded.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cailin Rua posted:

I just recently started film school, and really want to do noir-esque films. I've seen the majority of the classics (Touch of Evil, Maltese Falcon, Notorious, etc.), now I'm looking for more neo-noir movies from the last ten years or so. I loved Brick, especially the dialogue, and am wondering what other movies have a similar feel.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Out of Sight, which were just mentioned, have a good neo-noir feel, but are also really funny. For something more serious, I really like Gone Baby Gone, and I don't see it mentioned very often around here. A little bit older (Mid nineties) is L.A. Confidential.

FranticDisposition
Mar 9, 2010

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

The Last Boy Scout is written by Shane Black (who wrote and directed Kiss Kiss), and while it is a much more conventional action movie than Kiss Kiss, it has some pretty funny one-liners and interplay between mismatched partners Bruce Willis and Damon Wayans, as well as some good violence and badass moments.

If you like that, try The Long Kiss Goodnight, another Black-written action movie that teams up Geena Davis and Samuel L. Jackson. It has some funny parts too, mostly thanks to Jackson.

regulargonzalez posted:

Maybe Out of Sight or Get Shorty, both based on Elmore Leonard books.

I'm going to try all of these when I get a chance. I've heard of Get Shorty, but never had a chance to watch it before. The others are new to me though.

skwirl posted:

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Out of Sight, which were just mentioned, have a good neo-noir feel, but are also really funny. For something more serious, I really like Gone Baby Gone, and I don't see it mentioned very often around here. A little bit older (Mid nineties) is L.A. Confidential.

Honestly, I wasn't highly impressed by Gone Baby Gone. I know it's very well regarded and all, but something just felt off to me about it. L.A. Confidential is brilliant though, I've seen it at least a couple of times already and it's always rewatchable.

For other neo-noir, I would recommend (I'm not sure if these strictly count in this category, but) Fargo and Miller's Crossing. Also, The Usual Suspects and maybe Chinatown.

rzeszowianin 44
Feb 21, 2006

I loved the movie Das Boot. The way the situation became hopeless, the insistence on efficiency and craft, especially the fight to survive after most people would have simply given up and started to wait for death, absolutely spectacular. Any other movies in this vein (does not necessarily have to be war, though war is also an open option). Thanks.

Silver Newt
Jun 8, 2007

Happiness is being famous for your financial ability to indulge in every kind of excess.
Are there any good films about religious fundamentalism? I just finished The Rapture, and even though I'm an athiest, felt like it was very simplistic and made the main characters look like a bunch of whack-jobs who just became evangelicals after five minutes - which made the whole thing look ridiculous.

I really enjoyed Jesus Camp and Religulous, despite having problems with some of the format of the latter, but wanted to know if there's any films that deal with the same ground in a better way than The Rapture. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oceanside
Nov 4, 2009
I'm looking for films which explore social issues. I very much enjoyed Klass, 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days and When Darkness Falls. Doesn't matter which language.

Also looking for films where the main characters are anarchists or anti-nazis. The more recent the better. Had no luck at all when searching myself. :(

• Locked thread