Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Powercrazy posted:

Are ISRs really this lovely? I've got a simple network setup consisting of 3 routers, and 2 multilayer switches doing some BGP. What I want to do is create some DMVPN tunnels between the hub routers and the spokes, but my hub router is making GBS threads itself with memory problems. I've got an AIM module and everything. Surely this shouldn't be a problem....

The hub router is 1.1.1.1? It should be fine. What ISR? What code?

DMVPN wasn't really usable until at least 12.4(8) or later. Not sure what you're running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Yea, the hub is 1.1.1.1 They are all 2821s, with 256megs of ram. I made that diagram real quick before I left sorry about the sparse details. But basically 1.1.1.1 is running BGP peering with the 2 Layer 3 switches and redistributing its loopback (1.1.1.1) and the tunnel IP 192.168.0.1 via EIGRP into it.

The idea is too have all of the spoke routers and the edge routers running a single EIGRP AS via mGRE tunnels. I'm wondering if I'm getting routing loops or something, where EIGRP is redistributing its routes into BGP over and over again via the tunnels....

I'm running 12.4(15r) on all of them I think. As far as features, I'm running Crypto (afaik you have to have VPN running to do dynamic tunnels?) mGRE, and a few routes from BGP and EIGRP. I'll post some configs tomorrow, but I'm inclined to think I'm doing something wrong because I just don't see why I'd be running out of memory.

Also the two hub spoke routers both have two aim modules in them, but I don't think they will run in tandem, and even if they did I don't think that will fix the problem.

In other news we finally got our Nexus 5K lab kit. We got 2 5010s and 4 2148T FEXs with 10 or so Fabric Extender cables. (I think SFP+s will allow you to extend the fabric as well, but I'm not sure). NX-OS is really familiar to IOS with some manageability improvements like stronger permissions, and install/commit features, similar to IOX. I haven't messed with it too much, but I did figure out how to actually turn on the FEXs, so that is a good start.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Powercrazy posted:

Yea, the hub is 1.1.1.1 They are all 2821s, with 256megs of ram. I made that diagram real quick before I left sorry about the sparse details. But basically 1.1.1.1 is running BGP peering with the 2 Layer 3 switches and redistributing its loopback (1.1.1.1) and the tunnel IP 192.168.0.1 via EIGRP into it.

The idea is too have all of the spoke routers and the edge routers running a single EIGRP AS via mGRE tunnels. I'm wondering if I'm getting routing loops or something, where EIGRP is redistributing its routes into BGP over and over again via the tunnels....

I'm running 12.4(15r) on all of them I think. As far as features, I'm running Crypto (afaik you have to have VPN running to do dynamic tunnels?) mGRE, and a few routes from BGP and EIGRP. I'll post some configs tomorrow, but I'm inclined to think I'm doing something wrong because I just don't see why I'd be running out of memory.

Also the two hub spoke routers both have two aim modules in them, but I don't think they will run in tandem, and even if they did I don't think that will fix the problem.

In other news we finally got our Nexus 5K lab kit. We got 2 5010s and 4 2148T FEXs with 10 or so Fabric Extender cables. (I think SFP+s will allow you to extend the fabric as well, but I'm not sure). NX-OS is really familiar to IOS with some manageability improvements like stronger permissions, and install/commit features, similar to IOX. I haven't messed with it too much, but I did figure out how to actually turn on the FEXs, so that is a good start.

You don't need crypto to do dynamic tunnels. Just make the mGRE interfaces an run NHRP. A 2821 should be able to handle this...

Tremblay fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 9, 2010

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
So I removed all the crypto, and that fixed the memory problems on the HubRouter, but now the tunnels won't come up and the NHRP Protocol isn't coming up at all. When I was running the Crypto, the NHRP database would populate, and the tunnels would come up, but would be torn down once the router ran out of memory, along with Traceback Errors etc.

So I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Here is the config for the Hub Router.

interface Tunnel0
ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
no ip redirects
ip nhrp authentication cisco123
ip nhrp map multicast dynamic
ip nhrp network-id 1
no ip split-horizon eigrp 1
tunnel source GigabitEthernet0/0
tunnel mode gre multipoint
!
interface Loopback0
ip address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.0
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/0
ip address 4.4.4.3 255.255.255.0
duplex auto
speed auto
!
router eigrp 1
network 1.1.1.0 0.0.0.255
network 192.168.1.0
auto-summary
!
router bgp 101
no synchronization
bgp log-neighbor-changes
network 4.4.4.0 mask 255.255.255.0
redistribute eigrp 1
neighbor 4.4.4.1 remote-as 101
neighbor 4.4.4.2 remote-as 101
no auto-summary

And one of the spokes...

interface Loopback0
ip address 2.2.2.2 255.255.255.0
!
interface Tunnel0
ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0
no ip redirects
ip nhrp map 192.168.1.1 4.4.4.3
ip nhrp map multicast 4.4.4.3
ip nhrp network-id 1
ip nhrp holdtime 60
ip nhrp nhs 192.168.1.1
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/0
ip address 172.16.1.1 255.255.0.0
duplex auto
speed auto
!
router eigrp 1
network 2.2.2.0 0.0.0.255
network 172.16.0.0
network 192.168.1.0
auto-summary
eigrp stub connected
!
ip route 3.3.3.0 255.255.255.0 Tunnel0

Any ideas?

HubRouter: 12.4(13r)T5
Spoke1: 12.4(1r)

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 9, 2010

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Powercrazy posted:

And one of the spokes...

interface Tunnel0
ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0
no ip redirects
ip nhrp map 192.168.1.1 4.4.4.3
ip nhrp map multicast 4.4.4.3
ip nhrp network-id 1
ip nhrp holdtime 60
ip nhrp nhs 192.168.1.1

Any ideas?

HubRouter: 12.4(13r)T5
Spoke1: 12.4(1r)

Can you try removing the 'ip nhrp map multicast dynamic' from tu0 on your spoke please?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Ok did that. However the HubRouter tunnel still didn't come up. The spoke router can reach the HubRouters external IP 4.4.4.3, however I have to use a static route for that (I assume that shouldn't matter.)

SpokeRouter1#debug ip nhrp
NHRP protocol debugging is on
SpokeRouter1#
*Mar 9 21:37:05.125: NHRP: Attempting to send packet via DEST 192.168.1.1
*Mar 9 21:37:05.125: NHRP: Encapsulation succeeded. Tunnel IP addr 4.4.4.3
*Mar 9 21:37:05.125: NHRP: Send Registration Request via Tunnel0 vrf 0, packet size: 84
*Mar 9 21:37:05.125: src: 192.168.1.2, dst: 192.168.1.1
*Mar 9 21:37:05.125: NHRP: 84 bytes out Tunnel0
*Mar 9 21:37:05.125: NHRP: Resetting retransmit due to hold-timer for 192.168.1.1

Hmm... It seems to be sending the NHRP registration request, via the tunnel, which obviously isn't established yet....

How do I debug the tunnel build up process?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Powercrazy posted:

Ok did that. However the HubRouter tunnel still didn't come up. The spoke router can reach the HubRouters external IP 4.4.4.3, however I have to use a static route for that (I assume that shouldn't matter.)

SpokeRouter1#debug ip nhrp
NHRP protocol debugging is on
SpokeRouter1#
*Mar 9 21:37:05.125: NHRP: Attempting to send packet via DEST 192.168.1.1
*Mar 9 21:37:05.125: NHRP: Encapsulation succeeded. Tunnel IP addr 4.4.4.3
*Mar 9 21:37:05.125: NHRP: Send Registration Request via Tunnel0 vrf 0, packet size: 84
*Mar 9 21:37:05.125: src: 192.168.1.2, dst: 192.168.1.1
*Mar 9 21:37:05.125: NHRP: 84 bytes out Tunnel0
*Mar 9 21:37:05.125: NHRP: Resetting retransmit due to hold-timer for 192.168.1.1

Hmm... It seems to be sending the NHRP registration request, via the tunnel, which obviously isn't established yet....

How do I debug the tunnel build up process?

The tunnels are stateless iirc. You could try debug gre though.

Can you ping the tunnel IPs? Ie., from Spoke1 can you ping 192.168.1.1?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Can't ping the tunnel ips, and unfortunately debug gre doesn't exist. Or rather, I can ping the tunnel interface (192.168.1.2) on Spoke 1 from itself. But I can't ping 192.168.1.1 from the HubRouter.

According to sh ip int bri, the tunnel on spoke1 is up/up but the tunnel on HubRouter is up/down.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Your tunnels should be up so long as the physical interface they're tied to is also up. Hrm. It's actually one of the "problems" of DMVPN, depending on how you look at it.

Can you wax that int tu0 on your hub and recreate it?

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

Powercrazy posted:

Can't ping the tunnel ips, and unfortunately debug gre doesn't exist. Or rather, I can ping the tunnel interface (192.168.1.2) on Spoke 1 from itself. But I can't ping 192.168.1.1 from the HubRouter.

According to sh ip int bri, the tunnel on spoke1 is up/up but the tunnel on HubRouter is up/down.

Where are you sourcing the ping from?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Tremblay posted:

Where are you sourcing the ping from?

Spoke1, can ping its own tunnel address, as well as the Hubrouter's external IP address (4.4.4.3).

HubRouter can't ping its own tunnel address and can ping 172.16.1.1 which is SPoke1's external address.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

Powercrazy posted:

Spoke1, can ping its own tunnel address, as well as the Hubrouter's external IP address (4.4.4.3).

HubRouter can't ping its own tunnel address and can ping 172.16.1.1 which is SPoke1's external address.

Recreate tun0 like jwh suggested. Although rebooting the router would have the same effect. Might also want to try making your other spoke the nhs and see if that works.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Nuked the tunnel and brought it back up and still nothing. Its strange that both the spoke tunnels show up/up, what do they think they are connected to?

Just to make sure that I'm right about tunnels, two routers create a p2p tunnel by having a Tunnel IP address and a destination IP Address. The tunnel IP will obviously not be known by the remote router until the tunnel is up, but the destination IP needs to be reachable so that the originating router knows where to establish its tunnel.

Are there any other requirements? The spokes can definitely reach the hub "public" IP Address....

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Powercrazy posted:

Nuked the tunnel and brought it back up and still nothing. Its strange that both the spoke tunnels show up/up, what do they think they are connected to?
mGRE tunnels will always show up/up so long as their parent interface is up/up. It's by design. point-to-point GRE tunnels don't exhibit this behavior.

Powercrazy posted:

Just to make sure that I'm right about tunnels, two routers create a p2p tunnel by having a Tunnel IP address and a destination IP Address. The tunnel IP will obviously not be known by the remote router until the tunnel is up, but the destination IP needs to be reachable so that the originating router knows where to establish its tunnel.

Sort of, that's basically right. mGRE tunnels will learn reachability via the NHRP server running on the hub. Once that is known the same mGRE tunnel running on a spoke will communicate with other spokes directly via the learned NHRP information. In the case of DMVPN there will be an additional IPSEC phase as part of that establishment for each spoke-to-spoke communication.

I still think there's something wrong with your hub- you Tu0 on the hub should be up/up, not up/down. I'm not sure why it's up/down either.

marshviperX
Mar 3, 2010
Not really a technical question, but I recently acquired a pallet load of Cisco equipment for next to nothing. I'm familiar with the average price(at least on eBay) of the smaller 2500/2600 series routers and 2900 series switches, but I'm not to sure about the others I have. Anyone have an idea on a fair price for these models?

-Catalyst 5000 w/ one 48 port 10baseT ethernet switching module, two 10baseT group switching modules, and dual PSU's
-C2980G-A 10/100/1000Mbps 80 port switch
-3600 series router(can't find an exact model number)
-4000 series router(no specifics again)

I can't get any consistent numbers when looking around, people are either giving them away just to clear space or want 90% of the original MSRP.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

marshviperX posted:

Not really a technical question, but I recently acquired a pallet load of Cisco equipment for next to nothing. I'm familiar with the average price(at least on eBay) of the smaller 2500/2600 series routers and 2900 series switches, but I'm not to sure about the others I have. Anyone have an idea on a fair price for these models?

-Catalyst 5000 w/ one 48 port 10baseT ethernet switching module, two 10baseT group switching modules, and dual PSU's
-C2980G-A 10/100/1000Mbps 80 port switch
-3600 series router(can't find an exact model number)
-4000 series router(no specifics again)

I can't get any consistent numbers when looking around, people are either giving them away just to clear space or want 90% of the original MSRP.

The 5000 is worth a hundred bucks, approximately. You can't ship it anywhere, because the shipping costs are huge. You may get lucky and find somebody local to take it off your hands, but most likely you won't.

The 2980G is a weird animal. I'm not sure how much it's worth now, but a while back M@ had one for I think a hundred bucks.

The 3600 depends on what NMs are populated in the box- that will throw the price tremendously. A vacant 3600 isn't worth much.

The 4000 (assuming 4000M) isn't worth much either.

Sorry.

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008
Anyone have any advice on the easiest way to setup the NPS services on Microsoft 2008 to authenticate users who are trying to log into a aironet 1140 ap. I can get regular WPA w/ pass phrase, but want to use radius to authenticate the user instead.

I've configured the policy for 802.11 and am allowing all EAP types but I'm still getting malformed requests from the clients when I try to authenticate. I've got the CA root certificate trusted, so I'm spinning my gears trying to figure out what I'm missing. I've followed every guide I can and I'm able to debug the sends and see that it's making the attempt. I check the event viewer on the server and just keep getting Event ID 18 (An Access-Request message was received from RADIUS client 192.168.110.3 with a Message-Authenticator attribute that is not valid.)

The client has been setup to send user name instead of machine name as well.

For the record the NPS radius config is working fine for authenticating other switches/routers/firewalls/VPN users.

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
Do you guys ever us CNA? It seems like a good concept, but it's really clunky to use and doesn't work properly with every type of switch.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Its mired with internal politics as each of the various Cisco BUs has their own way of managing their devices.

For Example the OTBU has CTC which works awesome for 15454s and at one point allowed you to manage CRSs GSRs and 7600s that had POS interfaces on them, but then the Core Routing and Switching BUs got pissed and wanted to promote their own successor to CNA (I forget what it was called but its vaporware now) and so they changed their POS cdp standards so they wouldn't work with CTC anymore.

Basically CNA (and all of Cisco Management suites) is going to suck until Chambers makes a concerted effort to unify the BUs and force them to play nice with each other which he can't do for a myriad of crazy reasons.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Powercrazy posted:

Its mired with internal politics as each of the various Cisco BUs has their own way of managing their devices.

For Example the OTBU has CTC which works awesome for 15454s and at one point allowed you to manage CRSs GSRs and 7600s that had POS interfaces on them, but then the Core Routing and Switching BUs got pissed and wanted to promote their own successor to CNA (I forget what it was called but its vaporware now) and so they changed their POS cdp standards so they wouldn't work with CTC anymore.

Basically CNA (and all of Cisco Management suites) is going to suck until Chambers makes a concerted effort to unify the BUs and force them to play nice with each other which he can't do for a myriad of crazy reasons.

Routing has somewhat reversed their trend with the release of SRE, which now supports XML-PI NETCONF (RFC 4741/4742). But it's still buggy as gently caress and of limited usefulness. But it's a start.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Harry Totterbottom posted:

Anyone have any advice on the easiest way to setup the NPS services on Microsoft 2008 to authenticate users who are trying to log into a aironet 1140 ap. I can get regular WPA w/ pass phrase, but want to use radius to authenticate the user instead.
What EAP are you using on the clients? PEAP?

We've had the best success when using PEAP without trusting the cert (we don't have a well developed internal PKI, but that's a different story) and hooking the Windows login credentials automatically.

We've also tested LEAP as known working.

Of course all of this is using a ACS appliance on the backend.

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

jwh posted:

What EAP are you using on the clients? PEAP?

We've had the best success when using PEAP without trusting the cert (we don't have a well developed internal PKI, but that's a different story) and hooking the Windows login credentials automatically.

We've also tested LEAP as known working.

Of course all of this is using a ACS appliance on the backend.

I'm guessing that part of the ease of getting this up and running is the lack of ACS.

I'm going for PEAP, but at this point as long as it's authenticating using Radius in some way I'll be happy.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I'm guessing that part of the ease of getting this up and running is the lack of ACS.

I'm going for PEAP, but at this point as long as it's authenticating using Radius in some way I'll be happy.

I've never poked at the RADIUS functionality on Server 2008, but do you have to make it aware of various EAP types?

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

jwh posted:

I've never poked at the RADIUS functionality on Server 2008, but do you have to make it aware of various EAP types?

Yes, that's done through the policy.

Click here for the full 728x590 image.

Click here for the full 728x593 image.

I've tried this multiple ways with multiple variations that I've been able to google up to no avail.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Do you have any options when specifying the 1140 as a NAS in Server 2008? I'm wondering if the 1140 is sending Cisco specific VSAs or something dumb and the RADIUS engine is croaking.

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008
The only options are 'Wireless - IEEE 802.11' and 'Wireless - Other' for the NAS Port type.

I think I'm going to spin up a dedicated certificate server to see if there's an issue with the certificates being served from the Domain Controller.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
freeRADIUS has an option to map non-standard cisco VSAs back to their standard compliant names. I haven't gotten to setting any of my Cisco kit up for radius yet so I can't tell you what they are.

FatCow fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 12, 2010

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

The only options are 'Wireless - IEEE 802.11' and 'Wireless - Other' for the NAS Port type.

I think I'm going to spin up a dedicated certificate server to see if there's an issue with the certificates being served from the Domain Controller.

Can you tell your XP supplicants to not validate the cert? That might aid in your testing.

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?
Look what I just got in my LAB, 1 x OC768 (40G) and 2 x 8 10GbE. Going to be used at 'The Gathering' terminating the 30Gb/s internet connection :)

mezoth
Aug 7, 2006

ior posted:

Look what I just got in my LAB, 1 x OC768 (40G) and 2 x 8 10GbE. Going to be used at 'The Gathering' terminating the 30Gb/s internet connection :)

It shouldn't be a problem, but make sure you are aware that the 8x10ge is oversubscribed to the fabric. That has bit my company in the rear end a couple of times already!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ior posted:

Can I come to the gathering this year to help? Also glad to see they are finally shipping the "Godzilla" cards.

MikeTen
Feb 24, 2010
I have a couple ISP-side ATM questions. I apologize for their newbish nature but I'm a server person who's just had a bunch of routers dropped in his lap.

1. Given the following configuration, would just reassigning pvc 4/45 from subint .105 to sunbint .110 change the customer's service speed or am I missing something?
!
interface ATM0/0/0.105 multipoint
description atm 384x384atm DHCP
ip helper-address 10.10.10.5
no ip redirects
no ip unreachables
ip accounting access-violations
class-int 384x384atm
pvc 4/10
!
pvc 4/30
!
pvc 4/31
!
pvc 4/45
!
pvc 4/48
!
interface ATM0/0/0.110 multipoint
description atm 768x128atm DHCP
ip helper-address 10.10.10.5
no ip redirects
no ip unreachables
ip accounting access-violations
class-int 768x128atm
pvc 4/288
!
pvc 4/290
!
pvc 4/320
!
pvc 4/410
!

2. The previous guy told me that x y and z problems can be fixed by 'rebuilding the pvc' but he didn't have time to explain. Wouldn't the telco whose DSL service we resell have to do this? The only pvc configuration I can find in the router is ATM subinterface assignment.
Thanks in advance for any help - this week has been a crash course on the bottom half of the OSI model.

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

jwh posted:

Can you tell your XP supplicants to not validate the cert? That might aid in your testing.

No XP clients, everything is 7. I'm looking through more info and it looks like setup on Server 2k3 w/ ISA might be the route to go in terms of actual documented process and people with the same sort of issues I'm having reverting back to that setup and getting it working without much of a headache.

I'm going to spin one up and then see if that works out better. The most frustrating part is that the 2k8 server works fine with authenticating all my other gear.

marshviperX
Mar 3, 2010

jwh posted:

The 5000 is worth a ...

Thanks a lot. I'm not disappointed by your post. There were 17 pieces on the pallet and I could recoup my cost by selling just three or four 2600/2900's. I was just curious about the other pieces. I'll more than likely hold onto them to toy around with or sell them to clients.

Darkn1o
Jun 12, 2003
I'm looking to get some lab gear to study for my CCNA. I purchased a $80 piece of crap lab simulator software from Sybex and it doesn't even have a quarter of the commands available on it's 2600 router console. Since I feel as though I've been ripped off, so I'm looking for the real deal. I'm currently looking at a 851 router for around $115 on EBay. Does anyone have any idea if this router would be suitable for study purposes? Is this a good price? Can anyone recommend something better for study? I don't want to make the same mistake twice. Thanks guys.

Sojourner
Jun 6, 2007

Get In

Darkn1o posted:

I'm looking to get some lab gear to study for my CCNA. I purchased a $80 piece of crap lab simulator software from Sybex and it doesn't even have a quarter of the commands available on it's 2600 router console. Since I feel as though I've been ripped off, so I'm looking for the real deal. I'm currently looking at a 851 router for around $115 on EBay. Does anyone have any idea if this router would be suitable for study purposes? Is this a good price? Can anyone recommend something better for study? I don't want to make the same mistake twice. Thanks guys.

If you're still open to a simulation software, cisco's own packet tracer is excellent for CCNA (It's what it is specifically designed for). I would advise against cisco 851 though because it doesn't have the high speed serial interfaces and I don't think it does things PPP or frame relay.

You need a cisco net academy login to download packet tracer directly from cisco, but it turns up with google search.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Darkn1o posted:

A single router isn't going to help you much in the long run. Instead of a simulator, why don't you go to cablesandkits.com, buy a Cisco 2600 for like $50, then TFTP the IOS off of the router and use it in GNS3 (dynamips). 100% commands because you're emulating the hardware and running real IOS. And of course if you have access to IOS images then you don't even need to buy the router.

If you're going to spend money on something, I would recommend emulating the routers and buying three 2950 switches to practice your switching component instead. You can still do things like physically connecting Dynamips to a network card to let you practice things like Router on a Stick.

In the end though, there's no good way to patch this together. If you're going to go full-on hardware then you probably want to build a good CCNA lab which is at the very least two or three 2950 switches and probably at least two or three routers, though I think you can scrape by with 2500 series.

If you don't like dynamips, I think like Sojourner said, packet tracer is probably your best bet. It might not have 100% of a real IOS' commands, but you can safely bet that if it's not a supported command then you won't need it to pass your CCNA. I would go that route personally, if I hadn't already built a thousand dollar lab :v:

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
What's the defacto standard for dealing with multicast? Is it IGMP snooping or CGMP?

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

InferiorWang posted:

What's the defacto standard for dealing with multicast? Is it IGMP snooping or CGMP?

IGMP snooping. CGMP is a proprietary Cisco protocol for routers to tell non-IGMP snooping switches (ie, XL series stuff) what MAC addresses are subscribed to what stream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ragzilla posted:

IGMP snooping. CGMP is a proprietary Cisco protocol for routers to tell non-IGMP snooping switches (ie, XL series stuff) what MAC addresses are subscribed to what stream.

Yep. CGMP was a stopgap solution for when IGMP snooping hadn't been standardized yet, there is no reason to use it now, just like whatever the Cisco trunking protocol was.